PDA

View Full Version : compex carbonhydrat ?

Björn Bruder \(Bue\)
January 8th 07, 10:20 AM
I wanted to ask whether chips frites belong to the complex carbohydrate?

potatoes, however, chips?

Bully
January 8th 07, 10:54 AM
Björn Bruder (Bue) wrote:
> I wanted to ask whether chips frites belong to the complex
> carbohydrate?

No!

--
Bully

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees
the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

Tom Anderson
January 8th 07, 06:56 PM
On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Björn Bruder (Bue) wrote:

> I wanted to ask whether chips frites belong to the complex carbohydrate?

Yes.

> potatoes, however, chips?

Chips are just chopped, fried potato. No magic.

tom

--
The Impossible is True

Bully
January 8th 07, 07:06 PM
Tom Anderson wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Björn Bruder (Bue) wrote:
>
>> I wanted to ask whether chips frites belong to the complex
>> carbohydrate?
>
> Yes.

Potatoes *are* complex carbs.

>> potatoes, however, chips?
>
> Chips are just chopped, fried potato. No magic.

Apart from the fact that by the time they are fried they are saturated with
fat so they are no longer "just chopped...potato" !!!

--
Bully

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees
the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

Tom Anderson
January 8th 07, 10:13 PM
On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Bully wrote:

> Tom Anderson wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Björn Bruder (Bue) wrote:
>>
>>> I wanted to ask whether chips frites belong to the complex
>>> carbohydrate?
>>>
>>> potatoes, however, chips?
>>
>> Chips are just chopped, fried potato. No magic.
>
> Apart from the fact that by the time they are fried they are saturated
> with fat so they are no longer "just chopped...potato" !!!

No, WHICH IS WHY I SAID FRIED.

Are you disputing that chips contain complex carbohydrates?

tom

--
What were the skies like when you were young?

Bully
January 9th 07, 08:18 AM
Tom Anderson wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Bully wrote:
>
>> Tom Anderson wrote:

>>> Chips are just chopped, fried potato. No magic.
>>
>> Apart from the fact that by the time they are fried they are
>> saturated with fat so they are no longer "just chopped...potato" !!!
>
> No, WHICH IS WHY I SAID FRIED.
>
> Are you disputing that chips contain complex carbohydrates?
>
> tom

Are you telling me that fries are complex carbs?

--
Bully

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees
the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

Tom Anderson
January 9th 07, 12:00 PM
On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, Bully wrote:

> Tom Anderson wrote:

>>> Apart from the fact that by the time they are fried they are
>>> saturated with fat so they are no longer "just chopped...potato" !!!
>>
>> No, WHICH IS WHY I SAID FRIED.
>>
>> Are you disputing that chips contain complex carbohydrates?
>
> Are you telling me that fries are complex carbs?

Do you think i'm telling you that fries are complex carbs?

tom

--
:-( bad :-) bad :-| good

Bully
January 9th 07, 01:25 PM
In h.li,
Tom Anderson > typed:
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, Bully wrote:
>
>> Tom Anderson wrote:

>>> No, WHICH IS WHY I SAID FRIED.
>>>
>>> Are you disputing that chips contain complex carbohydrates?
>>
>> Are you telling me that fries are complex carbs?
>
> Do you think i'm telling you that fries are complex carbs?

Are you?

--
Bully

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees
the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

Charles
January 9th 07, 02:24 PM
On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 12:00:23 +0000, Tom Anderson >
wrote:

>On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, Bully wrote:
>
>> Tom Anderson wrote:

>>> No, WHICH IS WHY I SAID FRIED.
>>>
>>> Are you disputing that chips contain complex carbohydrates?
>>
>> Are you telling me that fries are complex carbs?
>
>Do you think i'm telling you that fries are complex carbs?

Maybe he thinks you mean "compex carbonhydrat" - do you tom? ;o)

Pete \(New & Improved, Version 4.08a\)
January 9th 07, 03:28 PM
"Bully" > schreef:

> [...]

Somebody is cranky, somebody is cranky !!!

1) Are you disputing that chips contain complex carbohydrates?

2) Are you telling me that fries are complex carbs?

3) Do you think i'm telling you that fries are complex carbs?

4) Are you?

Funny as hell!

I like this rhread.

5)...

--
Pete, The New & Improved Version

"Take your own advice: killfile. I took your advice on that subject BTW.
Your turn dude" -- Will Brink

"Problem is, I still see his/their posts 'cause
you respond to them, and that throws the balance of the universe of" -- Will
Brink

Bully
January 9th 07, 04:37 PM
In ,
Pete (New & Improved, Version 4.08a) > typed:

> Somebody is cranky, somebody is cranky !!!
>
> 1) Are you disputing that chips contain complex carbohydrates?
>
> 2) Are you telling me that fries are complex carbs?
>
> 3) Do you think i'm telling you that fries are complex carbs?
>
> 4) Are you?
>
> Funny as hell!
>
> I like this rhread.
>
> 5)...

This is an interesting one. Fries, know as chips here, are defo high GI.
Potato *is* low GI. Generally the higher the GI the more simple the carbs.
So, can something that is high GI still be a complex carb? THAT is the
question!!!

--
Bully

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees
the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

Edna Pearl
January 9th 07, 04:52 PM
"Bully" > wrote in message
> In ,
> Pete (New & Improved, Version 4.08a) > typed:

>> Somebody is cranky, somebody is cranky !!!
>>
>> 1) Are you disputing that chips contain complex carbohydrates?
>>
>> 2) Are you telling me that fries are complex carbs?
>>
>> 3) Do you think i'm telling you that fries are complex carbs?
>>
>> 4) Are you?
>>
>> Funny as hell!
>>
>> I like this rhread.
>>
>> 5)...
>
> This is an interesting one. Fries, know as chips here, are defo high GI.
> Potato *is* low GI. Generally the higher the GI the more simple the
> carbs. So, can something that is high GI still be a complex carb? THAT is
> the question!!!

My question exactly! The whole potato issue (white and sweet) has bothered
me for a long time. So I looked up this complex carb thing. From
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbohydrate: "The term complex carbohydrate
was first used in the Senate Select Committee publication Dietary Goals for
the United States (1977), where it denoted "fruit, vegetables and
whole-grains".Dietary guidelines generally recommend that complex
carbohydrates and nutrient-rich simple carbohydrates such as fruit and dairy
products should make up the bulk of carbohydrate consumption. The USDA's
Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005 dispenses with the simple/complex
distinction, instead recommending fiber-rich foods and whole grains."

I don't eat white potatoes any more. I have fallen in love with sweet
potatoes. Bake 3 or 4, then mash them with a couple of tablespoons of maple
syrup and 3/4 cup milk, salt, pepper. Top with flax seed oil. Excellent.

ep

Edna Pearl
January 9th 07, 04:55 PM
"Edna Pearl" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Bully" > wrote in message
>> In ,
>> Pete (New & Improved, Version 4.08a) > typed:

>>> Somebody is cranky, somebody is cranky !!!
>>>
>>> 1) Are you disputing that chips contain complex carbohydrates?
>>>
>>> 2) Are you telling me that fries are complex carbs?
>>>
>>> 3) Do you think i'm telling you that fries are complex carbs?
>>>
>>> 4) Are you?
>>>
>>> Funny as hell!
>>>
>>> I like this rhread.
>>>
>>> 5)...
>>
>> This is an interesting one. Fries, know as chips here, are defo high GI.
>> Potato *is* low GI. Generally the higher the GI the more simple the
>> carbs. So, can something that is high GI still be a complex carb? THAT is
>> the question!!!
>
> My question exactly! The whole potato issue (white and sweet) has
> bothered me for a long time. So I looked up this complex carb thing.
> From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbohydrate: "The term complex
> carbohydrate was first used in the Senate Select Committee publication
> Dietary Goals for the United States (1977), where it denoted "fruit,
> vegetables and whole-grains".Dietary guidelines generally recommend that
> complex carbohydrates and nutrient-rich simple carbohydrates such as fruit
> and dairy products should make up the bulk of carbohydrate consumption.
> The USDA's Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005 dispenses with the
> simple/complex distinction, instead recommending fiber-rich foods and
> whole grains."
>
> I don't eat white potatoes any more. I have fallen in love with sweet
> potatoes. Bake 3 or 4, then mash them with a couple of tablespoons of
> maple syrup and 3/4 cup milk, salt, pepper. Top with flax seed oil.
> Excellent.

****, I forgot to mention the juice of half a lemon. That's crucial.

ep

Bully
January 9th 07, 05:04 PM
In ,
Edna Pearl > typed:

[...]

> I don't eat white potatoes any more. I have fallen in love with sweet
> potatoes. Bake 3 or 4, then mash them with a couple of tablespoons
> of maple syrup and 3/4 cup milk, salt, pepper. Top with flax seed
> oil. Excellent.
> ep

Why the maple syrup; are you Canadian?

--
Bully

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees
the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

Edna Pearl
January 9th 07, 05:42 PM
"Bully" > wrote in message
> In ,
> Edna Pearl > typed:
>
> [...]
>
>> I don't eat white potatoes any more. I have fallen in love with sweet
>> potatoes. Bake 3 or 4, then mash them with a couple of tablespoons
>> of maple syrup and 3/4 cup milk, salt, pepper. Top with flax seed
>> oil. Excellent.
>> ep
>
> Why the maple syrup; are you Canadian?

No, I'm from Alabama! But the maple syrup/lemon flavor-combination is what
has been missing from my sweet potatoes my whole life! Really! Try it!
The whole is greater than the sum of its parts!

ep
(using a lot of exclamation points this morning!)

Bully
January 9th 07, 05:48 PM
In ,
Edna Pearl > typed:
> "Bully" > wrote in message
>> In ,
>> Edna Pearl > typed:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> I don't eat white potatoes any more. I have fallen in love with
>>> sweet potatoes. Bake 3 or 4, then mash them with a couple of
>>> tablespoons of maple syrup and 3/4 cup milk, salt, pepper. Top
>>> with flax seed oil. Excellent.
>>> ep
>>
>> Why the maple syrup; are you Canadian?
>
> No, I'm from Alabama!

Is that near Louisiana?

> But the maple syrup/lemon flavor-combination
> is what has been missing from my sweet potatoes my whole life! Really!
> Try it! The whole is greater than the sum of its parts!
>
> ep
> (using a lot of exclamation points this morning!)

--
Bully

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees
the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

Edna Pearl
January 9th 07, 05:56 PM
"Bully" > wrote in message
> In ,
> Edna Pearl > typed:
>> "Bully" > wrote in message
>>> In ,
>>> Edna Pearl > typed:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Why the maple syrup; are you Canadian?
>>
>> No, I'm from Alabama!
>
> Is that near Louisiana?

Yes. I am on the Alabama Gulf Coast, about 150 miles from New Orleans, and
yes, we got blasted by Hurricane Katrina, and by Ivan about a year before
Katrina. Is that why you ask? It still does seem to be on everyone's mind
whenever I talk to anybody elsewhere. I mean, it was nowhere near as bad
here as in New Orleans, but I don't want to endure such a thing again
anytime soon.

ep

Bully
January 9th 07, 06:06 PM
In ,
Edna Pearl > typed:
> "Bully" > wrote in message
>> In ,
>> Edna Pearl > typed:

>>> No, I'm from Alabama!
>>
>> Is that near Louisiana?
>
> Yes. I am on the Alabama Gulf Coast, about 150 miles from New
> Orleans, and yes, we got blasted by Hurricane Katrina, and by Ivan
> about a year before Katrina. Is that why you ask?

No, it's cos that's where the fattest Americans are :) !!!

> It still does seem
> to be on everyone's mind whenever I talk to anybody elsewhere. I
> mean, it was nowhere near as bad here as in New Orleans, but I don't
> want to endure such a thing again anytime soon.

I had a friend who returned to his home in NO after being at sea during
Katrina; he didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as the media had
portrayed.

--
Bully

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees
the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

Edna Pearl
January 9th 07, 06:19 PM
"Bully" > wrote in message
> In ,
> Edna Pearl > typed:
>> "Bully" > wrote in message
>>> In ,
>>> Edna Pearl > typed:

>>> Is that near Louisiana?
>>
>> Yes. I am on the Alabama Gulf Coast, about 150 miles from New
>> Orleans, and yes, we got blasted by Hurricane Katrina, and by Ivan
>> about a year before Katrina. Is that why you ask?
>
> No, it's cos that's where the fattest Americans are :) !!!

lol - yeah, there's a reason for that. The food is outrageous. Everybody's
fat, drunk, and hyped up on coffee in New Orleans. It's a great city. I
went to grad school at Tulane.

ep

Tom Anderson
January 9th 07, 07:02 PM
On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, Bully wrote:

> In h.li,
> Tom Anderson > typed:

>>> Are you telling me that fries are complex carbs?
>>
>> Do you think i'm telling you that fries are complex carbs?
>
> Are you?

How would it make you feel if i was?

tom

--
All we need now is a little energon and a lotta luck

Andrzej Rosa
January 9th 07, 09:32 PM
Dnia 2007-01-09 Bully napisa³(a):
> In ,
> Pete (New & Improved, Version 4.08a) > typed:

>> Somebody is cranky, somebody is cranky !!!
>>
>> 1) Are you disputing that chips contain complex carbohydrates?
>>
>> 2) Are you telling me that fries are complex carbs?
>>
>> 3) Do you think i'm telling you that fries are complex carbs?
>>
>> 4) Are you?
>>
>> Funny as hell!
>>
>> I like this rhread.
>>
>> 5)...
>
> This is an interesting one. Fries, know as chips here, are defo high GI.
> Potato *is* low GI.

Whatever. Boiled potatoes will give you a "false hunger" just like all
the rest of simple carbs, so not so low after all.

> Generally the higher the GI the more simple the carbs.
> So, can something that is high GI still be a complex carb? THAT is the
> question!!!

Chemical complexity and the time it takes to digest something are two
different matters. Cellulose and chitin are polysaccharides just like
starch from potatoes but they have GI close to infinity when it comes
to humans. Simplicity of a chemical structure has something to do with
how easy it is to digest something, but it's not exactly the same.
Gasoline is way simpler than sucrose, but we can't eat it.

Simple carbs are monosaccharides, disaccharides and oligosaccharides
(with the number of constituent sugars of up to ten). Polysaccharides
like starch are complex carbs, no matter how fast you are able to
digest them.

The problem with simple carbs is that they digest very easily, give a
lot of energy and almost no "waste product", and that they give you a
"false hunger" about a half an hour after you've eaten them. They also
tend to mellow your mood and make people lethargic. I don't feel like
going deep into the details of all this, but potatoes aren't much
better than chips (or fries) when consumed isocalorically. The problem
is that typically they will not be consumed isocalorically, because the
fat content of fries makes them much denser in calories.

--
Andrzej Rosa 1127R

Andrzej Rosa
January 9th 07, 09:41 PM
Dnia 2007-01-09 Edna Pearl napisa³(a):
> "Bully" > wrote in message
>> In ,
>> Pete (New & Improved, Version 4.08a) > typed:
>>
>> This is an interesting one. Fries, know as chips here, are defo high GI.
>> Potato *is* low GI. Generally the higher the GI the more simple the
>> carbs. So, can something that is high GI still be a complex carb? THAT is
>> the question!!!
>
> My question exactly! The whole potato issue (white and sweet) has bothered
> me for a long time. So I looked up this complex carb thing. From
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbohydrate: "The term complex carbohydrate
> was first used in the Senate Select Committee publication Dietary Goals for
> the United States (1977), where it denoted "fruit, vegetables and
> whole-grains".Dietary guidelines generally recommend that complex
> carbohydrates and nutrient-rich simple carbohydrates such as fruit and dairy
> products should make up the bulk of carbohydrate consumption. The USDA's
> Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005 dispenses with the simple/complex
> distinction, instead recommending fiber-rich foods and whole grains."
>
> I don't eat white potatoes any more. I have fallen in love with sweet
> potatoes. Bake 3 or 4, then mash them with a couple of tablespoons of maple
> syrup and 3/4 cup milk, salt, pepper. Top with flax seed oil. Excellent.

Don't forget some whipped cream on top of that. ;-)

P.S. - if it works for you, keep at it, but it's quite a nonsense all
the same.
--
Andrzej Rosa 1127R

Edna Pearl
January 9th 07, 09:58 PM
"Andrzej Rosa" > wrote in message
> Dnia 2007-01-09 Edna Pearl napisa³(a):
>> "Bully" > wrote in message
>>> In ,
>>> Pete (New & Improved, Version 4.08a) > typed:
>>>
>>> This is an interesting one. Fries, know as chips here, are defo high GI.
>>> Potato *is* low GI. Generally the higher the GI the more simple the
>>> carbs. So, can something that is high GI still be a complex carb? THAT
>>> is
>>> the question!!!
>>
>> My question exactly! The whole potato issue (white and sweet) has
>> bothered
>> me for a long time. So I looked up this complex carb thing. From
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbohydrate: "The term complex
>> carbohydrate
>> was first used in the Senate Select Committee publication Dietary Goals
>> for
>> the United States (1977), where it denoted "fruit, vegetables and
>> whole-grains".Dietary guidelines generally recommend that complex
>> carbohydrates and nutrient-rich simple carbohydrates such as fruit and
>> dairy
>> products should make up the bulk of carbohydrate consumption. The USDA's
>> Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005 dispenses with the simple/complex
>> distinction, instead recommending fiber-rich foods and whole grains."
>>
>> I don't eat white potatoes any more. I have fallen in love with sweet
>> potatoes. Bake 3 or 4, then mash them with a couple of tablespoons of
>> maple
>> syrup and 3/4 cup milk, salt, pepper. Top with flax seed oil.
>> Excellent.
>
> Don't forget some whipped cream on top of that. ;-)
>
> P.S. - if it works for you, keep at it, but it's quite a nonsense all
> the same.
> --
> Andrzej Rosa 1127R

Better nutrient values in sweet potato:

Sweet potato: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20h1.html

Boiled white potato: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20fE.html

ep

Andrzej Rosa
January 9th 07, 10:40 PM
Dnia 2007-01-09 Edna Pearl napisa³(a):
> "Andrzej Rosa" > wrote in message
>> Dnia 2007-01-09 Edna Pearl napisa³(a):
>>> I don't eat white potatoes any more. I have fallen in love with sweet
>>> potatoes. Bake 3 or 4, then mash them with a couple of tablespoons of
>>> maple
>>> syrup and 3/4 cup milk, salt, pepper. Top with flax seed oil.
>>> Excellent.
>>
>> Don't forget some whipped cream on top of that. ;-)
>>
>> P.S. - if it works for you, keep at it, but it's quite a nonsense all
>> the same.
>> --
>> Andrzej Rosa 1127R
>
> Better nutrient values in sweet potato:
>
> Sweet potato: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20h1.html
>
> Boiled white potato: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20fE.html

They are sweet potatoes because they contain an order of magnitude more
sugar than normal potatoes. So, you add some extra sugar on top of
that, to make it even sweeter. Any real or imaginary GI advantage of
sweet potatoes is thusly totally lost. But if it works for you and you
like it this way, do it. Humans aren't dots on a two-dimensional
chart, so maybe sweetened sweet potatoes do something good to your carb
cravings or other at least partly psychological factors and overall it
works out all right. Most important thing while dieting is taking
control over your diet, and you obviously do that.

--
Andrzej Rosa 1127R

Edna Pearl
January 9th 07, 10:47 PM
"Edna Pearl" > wrote in message
> "Andrzej Rosa" > wrote in message

>>> My question exactly! The whole potato issue (white and sweet) has
>>> bothered
>>> me for a long time. So I looked up this complex carb thing. From
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbohydrate: "The term complex
>>> carbohydrate
>>> was first used in the Senate Select Committee publication Dietary Goals
>>> for
>>> the United States (1977), where it denoted "fruit, vegetables and
>>> whole-grains".Dietary guidelines generally recommend that complex
>>> carbohydrates and nutrient-rich simple carbohydrates such as fruit and
>>> dairy
>>> products should make up the bulk of carbohydrate consumption. The USDA's
>>> Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005 dispenses with the simple/complex
>>> distinction, instead recommending fiber-rich foods and whole grains."
>>>
>>> I don't eat white potatoes any more. I have fallen in love with sweet
>>> potatoes. Bake 3 or 4, then mash them with a couple of tablespoons of
>>> maple
>>> syrup and 3/4 cup milk, salt, pepper. Top with flax seed oil.
>>> Excellent.
>>
>> Don't forget some whipped cream on top of that. ;-)
>>
>> P.S. - if it works for you, keep at it, but it's quite a nonsense all
>> the same.
>> --
>> Andrzej Rosa 1127R
>
> Better nutrient values in sweet potato:
>
> Sweet potato: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20h1.html
>
> Boiled white potato:
> http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20fE.html

Oh wait a minute (replying to myself here) -- are you and Bully thinking the
maple syrup adds a lot of calories? Nah. Pure maple syrup only has about a
hundred calories per two tbsp., and that's spread out over 6 to 8 servings.
It's just enough for flavor. The maple and the lemon taste really good
together. I suppose you could use maple flavored extract for even fewer
calories, but, like, who cares? For that few calories . . . .

And I forgot to mention to put cinnamon on top! That's important!

And as for the flax seed oil, which also has a lot of calories, I only add
that if I'm actually looking for calories or fats at the moment. It's what
I might or might not put on it at the table while my SO is putting butter
all over his.

Here is my favorite oatmeal right now (as if you care): one serving of
oatmeal (half a cup dry) cooked in water with a couple of tablespoons each
of sunflower seeds and raisins (or chopped prunes), plus a sliced banana.
Cook it until the banana almost dissolves. If I want more calories, I add
milk and flax seed oil after cooking.

ep

Edna Pearl
January 9th 07, 10:50 PM
"Andrzej Rosa" > wrote in message
> Dnia 2007-01-09 Edna Pearl napisa³(a):
>> "Andrzej Rosa" > wrote in message
>>> Dnia 2007-01-09 Edna Pearl napisa³(a):
>>>
>>> Don't forget some whipped cream on top of that. ;-)
>>>
>>> P.S. - if it works for you, keep at it, but it's quite a nonsense all
>>> the same.
>>> --
>>> Andrzej Rosa 1127R
>>
>> Better nutrient values in sweet potato:
>>
>> Sweet potato: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20h1.html
>>
>> Boiled white potato:
>> http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20fE.html
>
> They are sweet potatoes because they contain an order of magnitude more
> sugar than normal potatoes. So, you add some extra sugar on top of
> that, to make it even sweeter. Any real or imaginary GI advantage of
> sweet potatoes is thusly totally lost. But if it works for you and you
> like it this way, do it. Humans aren't dots on a two-dimensional
> chart, so maybe sweetened sweet potatoes do something good to your carb
> cravings or other at least partly psychological factors and overall it
> works out all right. Most important thing while dieting is taking
> control over your diet, and you obviously do that.

Thanks, Andrzej; you're "a gentleman and a scholar," as they say.

We cross-posted. I addressed the maple syrup issue in another post.

Does posting recipes disqualify me from playing with you Big Boys? I swear
I saw a guy doing it too; I swear I did!

ep

Edna Pearl
January 10th 07, 12:24 AM
"Shute" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 12:19:13 -0600, "Edna Pearl"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Bully" > wrote in message
>>> In ,
>>> Edna Pearl > typed:

>>> No, it's cos that's where the fattest Americans are :) !!!
>>
>>lol - yeah, there's a reason for that. The food is outrageous.
>>Everybody's
>>fat, drunk, and hyped up on coffee in New Orleans. It's a great city. I
>>went to grad school at Tulane.
>>
>>ep
>
> Alabama was near the bottom of the too. BTW I never met anyone from
> Alabama on the Internet. I figured ye' all didn't know what
> computers where.

Oh hell yeah, we have computers. And we can spell, too! :-D

But the joke is that Alabama's State Motto should be "At least we're not
Mississippi."

ep

Andrzej Rosa
January 10th 07, 03:24 AM
Dnia 2007-01-09 Edna Pearl napisa³(a):
> "Edna Pearl" > wrote in message
>> "Andrzej Rosa" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Don't forget some whipped cream on top of that. ;-)
>>>
>>> P.S. - if it works for you, keep at it, but it's quite a nonsense all
>>> the same.
>>> --
>>> Andrzej Rosa 1127R
>>
>> Better nutrient values in sweet potato:
>>
>> Sweet potato: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20h1.html
>>
>> Boiled white potato:
>> http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20fE.html
>
> Oh wait a minute (replying to myself here) -- are you and Bully thinking the
> maple syrup adds a lot of calories? Nah. Pure maple syrup only has about a
> hundred calories per two tbsp.,

Pretty much what one would expect from a very sweet liquid, but that's
not exactly my point. Simple carbs have one bad "side effect" which we
happen to like about them so. They are digested within milliseconds
after they are consumed. This in some or another way helps our mood,
which we are after, but it often leads to snacking between meals,
because of all this insulin surge which they bring with them. So
the "simplicity" of carbs is a bit dangerous for a dieter, not just
calories. I also found that sweets are a sort of mild addiction. If I
eat them more or less regularly, I like to eat them more than if I
simply stay away from them for the most part. Then they lose most of
their appeal and never win a battle of urges with real food.

So here's the whole point. People who eat sweets regularly often tend
to eat way too much of them, which is not good. Thus advocating sweet
potatoes as a "healthier" replacement for white ones may not be
considered extremely dietetic, or how would you call it. It may be
tasty, but does it help losing fat? For some it might, I've no doubts
about it.

> and that's spread out over 6 to 8 servings.
> It's just enough for flavor. The maple and the lemon taste really good
> together. I suppose you could use maple flavored extract for even fewer
> calories, but, like, who cares? For that few calories . . . .
>
> And I forgot to mention to put cinnamon on top! That's important!

I like your approach to dieting. Some people think that losing weight
takes away from the pleasures of table, but does it? I think that
maybe the reverse would be closer to truth.

> And as for the flax seed oil, which also has a lot of calories, I only add
> that if I'm actually looking for calories or fats at the moment. It's what
> I might or might not put on it at the table while my SO is putting butter
> all over his.

Everyone needs calories. Nothing wrong with fats, neither with carbs,
neither with proteins. They are macro-nutrients, so they should be
consumed in bulk.

> Here is my favorite oatmeal right now (as if you care): one serving of
> oatmeal (half a cup dry) cooked in water with a couple of tablespoons each
> of sunflower seeds and raisins (or chopped prunes), plus a sliced banana.
> Cook it until the banana almost dissolves. If I want more calories, I add
> milk and flax seed oil after cooking.

I don't think that I've ever eaten oatmeal in my life. Maybe I'll ask
my mother, but I don't think I did, but in case I would want to start,
thank for the recipe.

--
Andrzej Rosa 1127R

Bully
January 10th 07, 06:54 AM
In ,
Edna Pearl > typed:

[...]

> Does posting recipes disqualify me from playing with you Big Boys? I
> swear I saw a guy doing it too; I swear I did!
>
> ep

Yeah, but he calls himself Omelette !!!

--
Bully

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees
the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

Bully
January 10th 07, 07:01 AM
In h.li,
Tom Anderson > typed:
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, Bully wrote:
>
>> In h.li,
>> Tom Anderson > typed:

>>> Do you think i'm telling you that fries are complex carbs?
>>
>> Are you?
>
> How would it make you feel if i was?
>
> tom

You may be wondering how I'm going to answer your question and if I were to
tell you that I at all concerned about how you thought it made me feel,
would *that* answer your question?

--
Bully

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees
the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

Bully
January 10th 07, 07:13 AM
In ,
Andrzej Rosa > typed:
> Dnia 2007-01-09 Bully napisa³(a):
>> In ,
>> Pete (New & Improved, Version 4.08a) > typed:

>>> Somebody is cranky, somebody is cranky !!!
>>>
>>> 1) Are you disputing that chips contain complex carbohydrates?
>>>
>>> 2) Are you telling me that fries are complex carbs?
>>>
>>> 3) Do you think i'm telling you that fries are complex carbs?
>>>
>>> 4) Are you?
>>>
>>> Funny as hell!
>>>
>>> I like this rhread.
>>>
>>> 5)...
>>
>> This is an interesting one. Fries, know as chips here, are defo high
>> GI. Potato *is* low GI.
>
> Whatever. Boiled potatoes will give you a "false hunger" just like
> all the rest of simple carbs, so not so low after all.
>
>> Generally the higher the GI the more simple the carbs.
>> So, can something that is high GI still be a complex carb? THAT is
>> the question!!!
>
> Chemical complexity and the time it takes to digest something are two
> different matters. Cellulose and chitin are polysaccharides just like
> starch from potatoes but they have GI close to infinity when it comes
> to humans. Simplicity of a chemical structure has something to do
> with how easy it is to digest something, but it's not exactly the
> same. Gasoline is way simpler than sucrose, but we can't eat it.
>
> Simple carbs are monosaccharides, disaccharides and oligosaccharides
> (with the number of constituent sugars of up to ten). Polysaccharides
> like starch are complex carbs, no matter how fast you are able to
> digest them.
>
> The problem with simple carbs is that they digest very easily, give a
> lot of energy and almost no "waste product", and that they give you a
> "false hunger" about a half an hour after you've eaten them. They
> also tend to mellow your mood and make people lethargic. I don't
> feel like going deep into the details of all this, but potatoes
> aren't much better than chips (or fries) when consumed
> isocalorically. The problem is that typically they will not be
> consumed isocalorically, because the fat content of fries makes them
> much denser in calories.

Here endeth this thread :) !

--
Bully

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees
the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

Bully
January 10th 07, 07:14 AM
In ,
Bully > typed:
> In h.li,
> Tom Anderson > typed:
>> On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, Bully wrote:
>>
>>> In h.li,
>>> Tom Anderson > typed:

>>> Are you?
>>
>> How would it make you feel if i was?
>>
>> tom
>
> You may be wondering how I'm going to answer your question and if I
> were to tell you that I at all concerned about how you thought it
> made me feel, would *that* answer your question?

Correct my typos above as you see fit using " 'm " and " not " :) !

--
Bully

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees
the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

Edna Pearl
January 10th 07, 05:26 PM
"Bully" > wrote in message
> In ,
> Edna Pearl > typed:
>
> [...]
>

>> Does posting recipes disqualify me from playing with you Big Boys? I
>> swear I saw a guy doing it too; I swear I did!
>>
>> ep
>
> Yeah, but he calls himself Omelette !!!

Point taken.

ep

Bully
January 10th 07, 05:46 PM
In ,
Shute > typed:
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 18:24:31 -0600, "Edna Pearl"
> > wrote:
>
>> "Shute" > wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 12:19:13 -0600, "Edna Pearl"

>>> Alabama was near the bottom of the too. BTW I never met anyone from
>>> Alabama on the Internet. I figured ye' all didn't know what
>>> computers where.
>>
>> Oh hell yeah, we have computers. And we can spell, too! :-D
>
> Yeah hat is pretty funny.

Hat? HAT? H A T ? ? ?

> Someone from Alabama making fun of my
> computer skills.

What computer skills? I haven't noticed you have any whatsoever.

--
Bully

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees
the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

Tom Anderson
January 10th 07, 05:48 PM
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Bully wrote:

> In h.li,
> Tom Anderson > typed:
>> On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, Bully wrote:
>>
>>> In h.li,
>>> Tom Anderson > typed:

>>> Are you?
>>
>> How would it make you feel if i was?
>
> You may be wondering how I'm going to answer your question and if I were to
> tell you that I at all concerned about how you thought it made me feel,
> would *that* answer your question?

Did you come to me because you are going to answer my question and if you
was to tell me that you at all concerned about how me thought it made you
feel, would *that* answer my question?

tom

--
Curse me, God, for making you this way!

Tom Anderson
January 10th 07, 05:48 PM
On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, DZ wrote:

> Tom Anderson > wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, Bully wrote:
>>> Tom Anderson > typed:

>>> Are you?
>>
>> How would it make you feel if i was?
>
> Is it because would it make I feel if you were that you came to me?

A winner is you!

tom

--
Curse me, God, for making you this way!

Tom Anderson
January 10th 07, 05:50 PM
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Andrzej Rosa wrote:

> Dnia 2007-01-09 Edna Pearl napisa?(a):
>
>> Here is my favorite oatmeal right now (as if you care): one serving of
>> oatmeal (half a cup dry) cooked in water with a couple of tablespoons
>> each of sunflower seeds and raisins (or chopped prunes), plus a sliced
>> banana. Cook it until the banana almost dissolves. If I want more
>> calories, I add milk and flax seed oil after cooking.
>
> I don't think that I've ever eaten oatmeal in my life.

Well, if you take it up, bear in mind that we call it 'porridge' on this
side of the pond!

tom

--
Curse me, God, for making you this way!

Bully
January 10th 07, 05:58 PM
In .li,
Tom Anderson > typed:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Bully wrote:
>
>> In h.li,
>> Tom Anderson > typed:

>>> How would it make you feel if i was?
>>
>> You may be wondering how I'm going to answer your question and if I
>> were to tell you that I at all concerned about how you thought it
>> made me feel, would *that* answer your question?
>
> Did you come to me because you are going to answer my question and if
> you was to tell me that you at all concerned about how me thought it
> made you feel, would *that* answer my question?
>
> tom

Maybe.

--
Bully

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees
the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

Bully
January 10th 07, 08:05 PM
In ,
Shute > typed:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 17:46:03 -0000, "Bully"
> > wrote:
>
>> In ,
>> Shute > typed:
>>> On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 18:24:31 -0600, "Edna Pearl"

>>> Yeah hat is pretty funny.
>>
>> Hat? HAT? H A T ? ? ?
>>
>>> Someone from Alabama making fun of my
>>> computer skills.
>>
>> What computer skills? I haven't noticed you have any whatsoever.
>
> Since two people recently pointed out what an idiot you are that
> doesn't surprise me. How exactly would you determine my computer
> skills from within a newsgroup?

I don't know, do you? But if you're gonna brag about em, they'd better be
impressive!

--
Bully

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees
the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

Tom Anderson
January 11th 07, 02:13 PM
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Bully wrote:

> In .li,
> Tom Anderson > typed:
>> On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Bully wrote:
>>
>>> In h.li,
>>> Tom Anderson > typed:

>>> You may be wondering how I'm going to answer your question and if I
>>> were to tell you that I at all concerned about how you thought it
>>> made me feel, would *that* answer your question?
>>
>> Did you come to me because you are going to answer my question and if
>> you was to tell me that you at all concerned about how me thought it
>> made you feel, would *that* answer my question?
>
> Maybe.

Oh.

tom

--
I'd get more sense out of a crossed line with the Krankies