PDA

View Full Version : Get Out of the Gym You Lazy Slob

simon
January 8th 07, 04:27 PM
Can we please put an end to the New Years Resolution of getting in
shape, they'll all be gone by the end of March and all these new gym
attendees do is make trips to the gym miserable for those that go 4
days a week for 12 months of the year.

http://simononsports.blogspot.com/2007/01/get-out-of-gym-you-lazy-slob.html

Colin Cowherd's Stay Fat Campaign

1. Wake Up
2. Eat Poorly
3. Don't Excercise Ever

"We Hate January and We Resent You"

Bully
January 8th 07, 04:39 PM
simon wrote:
> Can we please put an end to the New Years Resolution of getting in
> shape, they'll all be gone by the end of March and all these new gym
> attendees do is make trips to the gym miserable for those that go 4
> days a week for 12 months of the year.
>
> http://simononsports.blogspot.com/2007/01/get-out-of-gym-you-lazy-slob.html
>
> Colin Cowherd's Stay Fat Campaign
>
> 1. Wake Up
> 2. Eat Poorly
> 3. Don't Excercise Ever
>
> "We Hate January and We Resent You"

It'll get worse before it gets better. The biggest influx will come next
week as those New Year Resolutions have to be turned into a reailty before
the end of the first month of the New Year :) !!!

--
Bully

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees
the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

January 8th 07, 04:47 PM
yeah, unless you're in a hardcore gym you can barely swing a dead cat
during january without hitting someone who's "really really gonna get
in shape this time...i promise!"

Josh Wozny
January 8th 07, 05:02 PM
January is the reason I take a small break from the gym and work out at
home for a few weeks.

I HATE going in there and seeing all these new people talking on their
cell phones while "strolling" on the treadmills, and doing bicep curls
in the rack when I'm waiting to squat.

It'll all go away soon....

-Josh

Edna Pearl
January 8th 07, 05:13 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> yeah, unless you're in a hardcore gym you can barely swing a dead cat

Is that a new exercise? Can't you do that at home? Or maybe the gyms tan
and stuff the dead cats so they don't stink. Wouldn't it be a better work
out to swing a live cat? You'd have to struggle with a live cat -- builds
agility and flexibility as well as strength. Or you could just knock it
unconscious long enough for your work-out.

ep
(sorry, I know it was obvious, but I had to do it)

Edna Pearl
January 8th 07, 05:16 PM
"Josh Wozny" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> January is the reason I take a small break from the gym and work out at
> home for a few weeks.
>
> I HATE going in there and seeing all these new people talking on their
> cell phones while "strolling" on the treadmills, and doing bicep curls
> in the rack when I'm waiting to squat.

Oh, and don't forget, they're wearing PERFUME. When they start to sweat and
I start to breathe hard, it might as well be mustard gas. Thank heavens
I've accumulated some decent equipment here at home and don't have to go to
one of those hellholes.

ep

> It'll all go away soon....
>
> -Josh

Bully
January 8th 07, 05:43 PM
Shute wrote:
> On 8 Jan 2007 08:27:19 -0800, "simon" > wrote:
>
>> Can we please put an end to the New Years Resolution of getting in
>> shape, they'll all be gone by the end of March and all these new gym
>> attendees do is make trips to the gym miserable for those that go 4
>> days a week for 12 months of the year.
>>
>> http://simononsports.blogspot.com/2007/01/get-out-of-gym-you-lazy-slob.html
>>
>> Colin Cowherd's Stay Fat Campaign
>>
>> 1. Wake Up
>> 2. Eat Poorly
>> 3. Don't Excercise Ever
>>
>> "We Hate January and We Resent You"
>
> They people I talked to seemed o.k. with it. They said it was a small
> price to pay to keep memberships rates down the rest of the year.

Uh-oh, looks like I'm gonna have to agree with Shute on this one. Actually,
no. It's They I agree with rather than Shute. Phew!

--
Bully

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees
the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

John Hanson
January 9th 07, 03:25 AM
On 8 Jan 2007 08:27:19 -0800, "simon" > wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

>Can we please put an end to the New Years Resolution of getting in
>shape, they'll all be gone by the end of March and all these new gym
>attendees do is make trips to the gym miserable for those that go 4
>days a week for 12 months of the year.
>
>http://simononsports.blogspot.com/2007/01/get-out-of-gym-you-lazy-slob.html
>
>Colin Cowherd's Stay Fat Campaign
>
>1. Wake Up
>2. Eat Poorly
>3. Don't Excercise Ever
>
>"We Hate January and We Resent You"

I wish my gym had more of them. Our membership is down with two more
gyms opening in the area and we are in danger of our gym closing. It's
tough to move a whole powerlifting team from one gym to another. I'd
like to see hundreds of new members.

January 9th 07, 03:48 AM
John Hanson wrote:

> I wish my gym had more of them. Our membership is down with two more
> gyms opening in the area and we are in danger of our gym closing. It's
> tough to move a whole powerlifting team from one gym to another. I'd
> like to see hundreds of new members.

Is there anyway your PL team can help support the gym, or supplement a
membership drive?

My gym is an independent, operated by two PLers (husband and wife)
albeit retired from competition. They are creative in attracting
members, including leasing one large room for martial arts instruction
and another for local law enforcement training. They've also started
twice/month wrestling nights (bb's and PLers). Haven't attended any of
the latter, but it's entertaining to see the buzz :)

I don't know about Meeneesotta but it seems here in TX more folks are
gravitating to smaller and independent fitness facilities, being fed up
with the big coporate schemes.

John Hanson
January 9th 07, 04:03 AM
On 8 Jan 2007 19:48:58 -0800, wrote in
misc.fitness.weights:

>John Hanson wrote:
>
>> I wish my gym had more of them. Our membership is down with two more
>> gyms opening in the area and we are in danger of our gym closing. It's
>> tough to move a whole powerlifting team from one gym to another. I'd
>> like to see hundreds of new members.
>
>Is there anyway your PL team can help support the gym, or supplement a
>membership drive?

I help support it by paying for my membership 6 months at a time. But
that's probably not what you had in mind. I've handed out they're
"flyer" to people that I thought might be interested.

>My gym is an independent, operated by two PLers (husband and wife)
>albeit retired from competition. They are creative in attracting
>members, including leasing one large room for martial arts instruction
>and another for local law enforcement training. They've also started
>twice/month wrestling nights (bb's and PLers). Haven't attended any of
>the latter, but it's entertaining to see the buzz :)

Our gym is too small for that. That would be fun though.

>I don't know about Meeneesotta but it seems here in TX more folks are
>gravitating to smaller and independent fitness facilities, being fed up
>with the big coporate schemes.

Well, ours is a small and independent facility. The new ones aren't.
Also, my gym is across the river in Cheeseland.

January 9th 07, 04:14 AM
John Hanson wrote:
> >Is there anyway your PL team can help support the gym, or supplement a
> >membership drive?
>
> I help support it by paying for my membership 6 months at a time. But
> that's probably not what you had in mind. I've handed out they're
> "flyer" to people that I thought might be interested.

Most gyms' new recruitments are transient members: here for a month or
two, gone tomorrow. The dedicated ultimately find a gym that suits them
by word of mouth: other satisfied long-term members. I went through two
gyms before I finally found Strouds, recommended by a fellow PLer.
That's typical. So the best advertisement is by personal
recommendations.

> >My gym is an independent, operated by two PLers (husband and wife)
> >albeit retired from competition. They are creative in attracting
> >members, including leasing one large room for martial arts instruction
> >and another for local law enforcement training. They've also started
> >twice/month wrestling nights (bb's and PLers). Haven't attended any of
> >the latter, but it's entertaining to see the buzz :)
>
> Our gym is too small for that. That would be fun though.

Size isn't always the limiting factor; it's creativity and management.
The storefront next to the gym is rented for the wrestling events. but
then it's fortuitous that same storefront is often empty. The martial
arts room is leased by two instructors who have their own 'school'. The
aerobics room is multifunctional.
The gym is not very large; they just make good use of existing space.

> Well, ours is a small and independent facility. The new ones aren't.
> Also, my gym is across the river in Cheeseland.

Moooooo......... ;)

How's the lifting going?
Did you ever receive my email response a couple months ago?

John Hanson
January 9th 07, 04:35 AM
On 8 Jan 2007 20:14:43 -0800, wrote in
misc.fitness.weights:

>John Hanson wrote:
>> >Is there anyway your PL team can help support the gym, or supplement a
>> >membership drive?
>>
>> I help support it by paying for my membership 6 months at a time. But
>> that's probably not what you had in mind. I've handed out they're
>> "flyer" to people that I thought might be interested.
>
>Most gyms' new recruitments are transient members: here for a month or
>two, gone tomorrow. The dedicated ultimately find a gym that suits them
>by word of mouth: other satisfied long-term members. I went through two
>gyms before I finally found Strouds, recommended by a fellow PLer.
>That's typical. So the best advertisement is by personal
>recommendations.
>

>> >My gym is an independent, operated by two PLers (husband and wife)
>> >albeit retired from competition. They are creative in attracting
>> >members, including leasing one large room for martial arts instruction
>> >and another for local law enforcement training. They've also started
>> >twice/month wrestling nights (bb's and PLers). Haven't attended any of
>> >the latter, but it's entertaining to see the buzz :)
>>
>> Our gym is too small for that. That would be fun though.
>
>Size isn't always the limiting factor; it's creativity and management.
>The storefront next to the gym is rented for the wrestling events. but
>then it's fortuitous that same storefront is often empty. The martial
>arts room is leased by two instructors who have their own 'school'. The
>aerobics room is multifunctional.
>The gym is not very large; they just make good use of existing space.
>
>> Well, ours is a small and independent facility. The new ones aren't.
>> Also, my gym is across the river in Cheeseland.
>
>Moooooo......... ;)
>
>How's the lifting going?
>Did you ever receive my email response a couple months ago?

Yes I did and I replied but I just got it back last week as
undeliverable. I've been getting a lot of them back lately.

My lifting is going okay, for the most part. My knee is getting
better but I haven't been able to sumo deadlift much lately. My back
hurts every other week I squat. Funny, eh.

It will feel good so I'll squat a few sets of five in the low to mid
300s and on my last set, I'll feel that cartilage get tweaked. The
next week I'll go light due to the pain (a few sets at 275 or so) and
some front squats and then the next week I'll feel fine again.

Tonight I did a set of 5 at 315 another at 335 then did a single at
365 finishing with a set of 5 at 315 again. The last one might have
been a mistake. I'm still not using any gear but I'll be adding that
this month in preparation for State, which is March 3rd.

Maybe you shouldn't have asked me about my lifting:-) Oh, bench is
going fine but I haven't been in a shirt since Killeen back in May.

So how is everything going with you? Email me again. I've got 3
different addresses for you and am not sure which one(s) work.

January 9th 07, 05:05 AM
John Hanson wrote:

> >How's the lifting going?
> >Did you ever receive my email response a couple months ago?
>
> Yes I did and I replied but I just got it back last week as
> undeliverable. I've been getting a lot of them back lately.

That's weird. I got one of them, obviously.

> My lifting is going okay, for the most part. My knee is getting
> better but I haven't been able to sumo deadlift much lately. My back
> hurts every other week I squat. Funny, eh.
>
> It will feel good so I'll squat a few sets of five in the low to mid
> 300s and on my last set, I'll feel that cartilage get tweaked. The
> next week I'll go light due to the pain (a few sets at 275 or so) and
> some front squats and then the next week I'll feel fine again.

It's telling you something, John. :)

> So how is everything going with you? Email me again. I've got 3
> different addresses for you and am not sure which one(s) work.

The dyslocated collar bone and tweaked shoulder has kept me from the
weights since July. So I rode the bike all over the country instead ;)
Got the OK from orthopod surgeon to go back in but I won't be able to
do heavy benches again; I'm limited in what I can do for chest and
back. They decided surgery was too risky.
Gotta start all over again. Carefully.

Is this reply email valid for you? If so, email sent shortly.

Bully
January 9th 07, 07:59 AM
John Hanson wrote:
> On 8 Jan 2007 20:14:43 -0800, wrote in
> misc.fitness.weights:
[...]
> Yes I did and I replied but I just got it back last week as
> undeliverable. I've been getting a lot of them back lately.
>
> My lifting is going okay, for the most part. My knee is getting
> better but I haven't been able to sumo deadlift much lately. My back
> hurts every other week I squat. Funny, eh.
>
> It will feel good so I'll squat a few sets of five in the low to mid
> 300s and on my last set, I'll feel that cartilage get tweaked. The
> next week I'll go light due to the pain (a few sets at 275 or so) and
> some front squats and then the next week I'll feel fine again.
>
> Tonight I did a set of 5 at 315 another at 335 then did a single at
> 365 finishing with a set of 5 at 315 again. The last one might have
> been a mistake. I'm still not using any gear but I'll be adding that
> this month in preparation for State, which is March 3rd.
>
> Maybe you shouldn't have asked me about my lifting:-) Oh, bench is
> going fine but I haven't been in a shirt since Killeen back in May.
>
> So how is everything going with you? Email me again. I've got 3
> different addresses for you and am not sure which one(s) work.

John, I was just wondering to whom I could address my question below and
then up popped your post relating to squats :) !!!

Yesterday, I squatted 3 x 10 @ 140kg. Prior to Xmas I was doing 5 x 5 @
150kg. If my goal is a 1RM of 180kg, a/ am I strong enough now to shoot for
that b/ what warm-up sets/weight would you use if you were shooting for a
1RM of 180kg???

--
Bully

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees
the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

John Hanson
January 9th 07, 01:29 PM
On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 07:59:57 -0000, "Bully" >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>John Hanson wrote:
>> On 8 Jan 2007 20:14:43 -0800, wrote in
>> misc.fitness.weights:
>[...]
>>
>> Yes I did and I replied but I just got it back last week as
>> undeliverable. I've been getting a lot of them back lately.
>>
>> My lifting is going okay, for the most part. My knee is getting
>> better but I haven't been able to sumo deadlift much lately. My back
>> hurts every other week I squat. Funny, eh.
>>
>> It will feel good so I'll squat a few sets of five in the low to mid
>> 300s and on my last set, I'll feel that cartilage get tweaked. The
>> next week I'll go light due to the pain (a few sets at 275 or so) and
>> some front squats and then the next week I'll feel fine again.
>>
>> Tonight I did a set of 5 at 315 another at 335 then did a single at
>> 365 finishing with a set of 5 at 315 again. The last one might have
>> been a mistake. I'm still not using any gear but I'll be adding that
>> this month in preparation for State, which is March 3rd.
>>
>> Maybe you shouldn't have asked me about my lifting:-) Oh, bench is
>> going fine but I haven't been in a shirt since Killeen back in May.
>>
>> So how is everything going with you? Email me again. I've got 3
>> different addresses for you and am not sure which one(s) work.
>
>John, I was just wondering to whom I could address my question below and
>then up popped your post relating to squats :) !!!
>
>Yesterday, I squatted 3 x 10 @ 140kg. Prior to Xmas I was doing 5 x 5 @
>150kg. If my goal is a 1RM of 180kg, a/ am I strong enough now to shoot for
>that b/ what warm-up sets/weight would you use if you were shooting for a
>1RM of 180kg???

60 x 5 x 2
80 x 5
100 x 3-5
125 x 3
145 x 1 or 2
165 x 1
180 x1.

Bully
January 9th 07, 02:30 PM
In ,
John Hanson > typed:
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 07:59:57 -0000, "Bully" >
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
>> John Hanson wrote:

[...]

>> John, I was just wondering to whom I could address my question below
>> and then up popped your post relating to squats :) !!!
>>
>> Yesterday, I squatted 3 x 10 @ 140kg. Prior to Xmas I was doing 5 x
>> 5 @ 150kg. If my goal is a 1RM of 180kg, a/ am I strong enough now
>> to shoot for that b/ what warm-up sets/weight would you use if you
>> were shooting for a 1RM of 180kg???
>
> 60 x 5 x 2
> 80 x 5
> 100 x 3-5
> 125 x 3
> 145 x 1 or 2
> 165 x 1
> 180 x1.

Ok, thanks !!!

--
Bully

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees
the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

John Hanson
January 9th 07, 02:44 PM
On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 14:30:57 -0000, "Bully" >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>In ,
>John Hanson > typed:
>> On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 07:59:57 -0000, "Bully" >
>> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>>
>>> John Hanson wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>>> John, I was just wondering to whom I could address my question below
>>> and then up popped your post relating to squats :) !!!
>>>
>>> Yesterday, I squatted 3 x 10 @ 140kg. Prior to Xmas I was doing 5 x
>>> 5 @ 150kg. If my goal is a 1RM of 180kg, a/ am I strong enough now
>>> to shoot for that b/ what warm-up sets/weight would you use if you
>>> were shooting for a 1RM of 180kg???
>>
>> 60 x 5 x 2
>> 80 x 5
>> 100 x 3-5
>> 125 x 3
>> 145 x 1 or 2
>> 165 x 1
>> 180 x1.
>
>Ok, thanks !!!

You should take at least a half hour (or thereabouts) to get to 180
from your first set at 60.

Bully
January 9th 07, 02:54 PM
In ,
John Hanson > typed:
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 14:30:57 -0000, "Bully" >
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
>> In ,
>> John Hanson > typed:
>>> On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 07:59:57 -0000, "Bully"

>> [...]
>>>
>>> 60 x 5 x 2
>>> 80 x 5
>>> 100 x 3-5
>>> 125 x 3
>>> 145 x 1 or 2
>>> 165 x 1
>>> 180 x1.
>>
>> Ok, thanks !!!
>
> You should take at least a half hour (or thereabouts) to get to 180
> from your first set at 60.

OK, what is the purpose of the 60's? I did them again this week at the start
of my squats and they now just feel waaaaay too light to have any benefit
even as an "easy" warm-up!

--
Bully

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees
the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

John Hanson
January 9th 07, 03:06 PM
On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 14:54:47 -0000, "Bully" >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>In ,
>John Hanson > typed:
>> On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 14:30:57 -0000, "Bully" >
>> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>>
>>> In ,
>>> John Hanson > typed:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Ok, thanks !!!
>>
>> You should take at least a half hour (or thereabouts) to get to 180
>> from your first set at 60.
>
>OK, what is the purpose of the 60's? I did them again this week at the start
>of my squats and they now just feel waaaaay too light to have any benefit
>even as an "easy" warm-up!

To warm up. They get the blood moving and train the neural patterns.

Bully
January 9th 07, 03:52 PM
In ,
John Hanson > typed:
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 14:54:47 -0000, "Bully" >
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
>> In ,
>> John Hanson > typed:
>>> On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 14:30:57 -0000, "Bully"

>>> You should take at least a half hour (or thereabouts) to get to 180
>>> from your first set at 60.
>>
>> OK, what is the purpose of the 60's? I did them again this week at
>> the start of my squats and they now just feel waaaaay too light to
>> have any benefit even as an "easy" warm-up!
>
> To warm up. They get the blood moving and train the neural patterns.

Yes, but I find I squat in a different groove with little or no weight on
the bar! I spose I'm still squatting though:)!

--
Bully

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees
the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

John Hanson
January 9th 07, 04:53 PM
On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 15:52:33 -0000, "Bully" >
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>In ,
>John Hanson > typed:
>> On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 14:54:47 -0000, "Bully" >
>> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>>
>>> In ,
>>> John Hanson > typed:

>>> OK, what is the purpose of the 60's? I did them again this week at
>>> the start of my squats and they now just feel waaaaay too light to
>>> have any benefit even as an "easy" warm-up!
>>
>> To warm up. They get the blood moving and train the neural patterns.
>
>Yes, but I find I squat in a different groove with little or no weight on
>the bar! I spose I'm still squatting though:)!

You might want to look at why that is.

Bully
January 9th 07, 05:49 PM
In ,
John Hanson > typed:
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 15:52:33 -0000, "Bully" >
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
>> In ,
>> John Hanson > typed:
>>> On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 14:54:47 -0000, "Bully"

>>> To warm up. They get the blood moving and train the neural
>>> patterns.
>>
>> Yes, but I find I squat in a different groove with little or no
>> weight on the bar! I spose I'm still squatting though:)!
>
> You might want to look at why that is.

Well, I thought it was because I was squatting with very little weight on
the bar :) !!!

--
Bully

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees
the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

January 13th 07, 05:51 PM
John Hanson wrote:
> On 8 Jan 2007 21:05:00 -0800, wrote in
> misc.fitness.weights:

> >> Yes I did and I replied but I just got it back last week as
> >> undeliverable. I've been getting a lot of them back lately.
> >
> >That's weird. I got one of them, obviously.
>
> I meant email in general. Not necessarily yours.

Ah, gotcha.

> >> My lifting is going okay, for the most part. My knee is getting
> >> better but I haven't been able to sumo deadlift much lately. My back
> >> hurts every other week I squat. Funny, eh.
> >>
> >> It will feel good so I'll squat a few sets of five in the low to mid
> >> 300s and on my last set, I'll feel that cartilage get tweaked. The
> >> next week I'll go light due to the pain (a few sets at 275 or so) and
> >> some front squats and then the next week I'll feel fine again.
> >
> >It's telling you something, John. :)
>
> I think you're right.

Then maybe its time to investigate what the problem is :)

> >The dyslocated collar bone and tweaked shoulder has kept me from the
> >weights since July. So I rode the bike all over the country instead ;)
> >Got the OK from orthopod surgeon to go back in but I won't be able to
> >do heavy benches again; I'm limited in what I can do for chest and
> >back. They decided surgery was too risky.
> >Gotta start all over again. Carefully.
> >

> You didn't happen to ride you bike up this way did you? Without
> stopping in to say hi? Or Florida? I was down there a couple of
> times this past year.

No, I rode through mostly the southwest; it's my favorite. I'll be in
that area again in September. I'll be in Arkansas and Tennessee in a
few months.
Next year I'm hoping to ride up to Alaska :)

I was up in Minn in 2005 but it was a last minute thang. It was
interesting being on a bike in St. Paul and Minneapolis.

> Did you ask your orthopod if you can scuba dive? I've been doing a
> lot of that lately. I was just in the Keys last month where I dove
> the Spiegal Grove. It was awesome! I actually did it with a couple
> of folks from rec.scuba.

That sounds like fun! Unfortunately I can't scuba dive (but I can
snorkel, which I enjoy, too). The pressure and air changes etc are a
no-no for diabetics :(

John Hanson
January 15th 07, 04:11 PM
On 13 Jan 2007 09:51:54 -0800, wrote in
misc.fitness.weights:

>No, I rode through mostly the southwest; it's my favorite. I'll be in
>that area again in September. I'll be in Arkansas and Tennessee in a
>few months.
>Next year I'm hoping to ride up to Alaska :)
>
>I was up in Minn in 2005 but it was a last minute thang. It was
>interesting being on a bike in St. Paul and Minneapolis.
>

>> Did you ask your orthopod if you can scuba dive? I've been doing a
>> lot of that lately. I was just in the Keys last month where I dove
>> the Spiegal Grove. It was awesome! I actually did it with a couple
>> of folks from rec.scuba.
>
>That sounds like fun! Unfortunately I can't scuba dive (but I can
>snorkel, which I enjoy, too). The pressure and air changes etc are a
>no-no for diabetics :(

It's called equalization. The pressure changes associated with
snorkeling are far worse than with scuba diving. With Scuba, you are
always equalizing your ears to the surrounding pressure and rule
number one is to never hold your breath.

Also, pressure changes are more pronounced the shallower one is. With
deeper dives, you rarely have to equalize. Between the surface and 33
FSW, the pressure doubles. It doesn't double again until you hit 99
FSW.

BTW, diabetes is no longer a disqualification for diving:
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/research/projects/diabetes/index.asp
As far as I know, all diving agencies will certify a diabetic as long
as there are no other disqualifying factors and they meet the
standards.

I see I'm getting some of my email back as undeliverable that I sent
to you. Did you get any of them?

John Hanson
January 15th 07, 04:30 PM
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 10:11:47 -0600, John Hanson

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/news/download/SummaryGuidelines.pdf