PDA

View Full Version : HAIR!

Richard
May 17th 07, 02:39 AM
COOL! Doctors "close to cure for baldness":
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/05/17/nhair17.xml

Mongolai
May 17th 07, 06:37 AM
"Richard" > wrote in message
> COOL! Doctors "close to cure for baldness":

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/05/17/nhair17.xml

Is that something that really needs to be "cured"?

I'm more than happy to be a balding man. My dad is bald. My grandpas were.
Hell, I earned it. Furthermore, I look forward to having *less* hair on my
head than I do now.

Baldness is a blessing.

Richard
May 17th 07, 07:18 AM
"Mongolai" > wrote in message
> "Richard" > wrote in message
> > COOL! Doctors "close to cure for baldness":

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/05/17/nhair17.xml

> Is that something that really needs to be "cured"?
>
> I'm more than happy to be a balding man. My dad is bald. My grandpas were.
> Hell, I earned it. Furthermore, I look forward to having *less* hair on my
> head than I do now.
>
> Baldness is a blessing.

I suppose its a blessing for those who go bald quickly, but I either want to
have a full head of hair or be completely bald. I'm sick of the in-between.

Curt
May 17th 07, 10:54 AM
Richard wrote:

> COOL! Doctors "close to cure
> for baldness":
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/05/17/nhair...

That is cool, however I wish those doctors would spend their time on
spinal cord injuries rather than follicle regrowth.

Besides, any follicle regrowth wouldn't help bald guys like yours
truly with the oily hair and growth pattern that goes in twelve
different directions. Even when I had hair, it couldn't be combed in
any direction other than what it demanded. In Lancaster County they
call it cowlicks.

And I love this part (and probably need further definition from the
PubMed folks):

"Wounding, they report, triggers new hair-producing follicles to form,
a claim that was first made half a century ago after experiment on
rabbits but which was written off as unconvincing."

Define wounding. Because, hey, I'll volunteer JWM to have his noggin
experimented on with a bunch of *wounding*. I picture one of those old
cartoons with the puma asking for "Three lumps, please."

Newp, not me. Bald is beautiful! ;o)

--
Curt

joanne
May 17th 07, 04:59 PM
On May 17, 2:54 am, Curt > wrote:
> Newp, not me. Bald is beautiful! ;o)

Its kind of funny that young guys today shave their heads while old
men Rogaine thiers striving to keep the very last hair follicle (for
the Trump comb over!)

joanne

WotMeWurry
May 17th 07, 09:16 PM
Richard wrote:
> COOL! Doctors "close to cure for baldness":
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/05/17/nhair17.xml

I have a #2 haircut - it looks good and requires no effort.
If I go bald, thats life and lets face it some guys look better bald.

Lucas Buck
May 18th 07, 12:30 AM
On Wed, 16 May 2007 18:39:27 -0700, "Richard" > wrote:

>COOL! Doctors "close to cure for baldness":
>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/05/17/nhair17.xml

Great. Just what I want -- a body full of mouse hair.

Richard
May 18th 07, 01:00 AM
wrote:

> >COOL! Doctors "close to cure for baldness":
>
>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/05/17/nhair17.xml
>
> Great. Just what I want -- a body full of mouse hair.

Yeah.. I was just thinking, it would really stink. But it would be soft and
cudly.. women would really love it and you'd never have to tell them the
secret.

David Cohen
May 18th 07, 01:27 AM
"Richard" > wrote
> "Lucas Buck" > wrote
>> "Richard" > wrote:
>>
>> >COOL! Doctors "close to cure for baldness":
>>
>>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/05/17/nhair17.xml
>>
>> Great. Just what I want -- a body full of mouse hair.
>
> Yeah.. I was just thinking, it would really stink. But it would be soft
> and
> cudly.. women would really love it and you'd never have to tell them the
> secret.

Your five inch incisors might give it away.

David

Curt
May 18th 07, 03:35 AM
joanne wrote:
> Curt wrote:
>
> > Newp, not me. Bald is beautiful! ;o)
>
> Its kind of funny that young guys today
> shave their heads while old men Rogaine
> thiers striving to keep the very last hair
> follicle (for the Trump comb over!)

I started losing mine at age 20. Nearing 45, I often say that I shave
off the back of my head to spite Mother Nature for taking it off the
front.

A local radio station played a prank on a guy (no, not me) after his
roommate called in to say he was using Rogaine. The jock called and
said he was from the pharmacy (this was before the schtufff got
approved for OTC, obviously) to say that the lot he received was
tainted and he had to immediately wash it off his head.

The guy stammered and said that he was dressed for work and just on
his way out, but the jock persisted and warned him to go to the sink
and splash his hair and scalp right away. He did and then the DJ
hesitates and asks the man for the lot number or something, changing
his mind and saying something like, "I'm sorry, sir, your prescription
is fine. I was wrong."

The victim is angry now and yelling about how his suit is wet and his
hair is all wet from leaning into the sink to splash his hair. And
then the guy's roommate came on the phoneline to say he'd been
punked.

Not quite as bad as the DJ who called a college girl's room early in
the a.m. for her back-home boyfriend who wanted to wish her a happy
birthday only to have "his" girl's phone answered by a guy. D'OH!

Anyway, I've never used Rogaine but did waste a goodly amount of money
on stylists, hair gel, hair spray, etc. Oh, and perms back in my
junior high school days courtesy of being a Starsky and Hutch fan ala
Paul Michael Glaser's Starsky.

At some point I gave up on the gel and maintaining my baldING head. I
read an article by a fellow bad hair guy who offered why he decided to
shave his head and giving up the expensive hair stylists: "A dog with
mange will look like a dog with mange regardless of how much you spend
on his hair."

My hair has been oily since sixth grade and has been wispy, static-
prone, cowlicked, and a general mess for most of my life. In 1992 the
neighbor lady, who actually did hair as her occupation, shaved my head
for me after I butchered a self-haircutting attempt on the day of my
college graduation.

Hmmm.

Excuse me, I guess that's enough rambling. Gotta end with a re-post of
the following URL, of course:

http://www.geocities.com/curt_james/hair.html

--
Curt

Curt
May 18th 07, 03:37 AM
Lucas Buck wrote:

re http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/05/17/nhair...

> Great. Just what I want -- a
> body full of mouse hair.

Where do I send the Gold medal for May's Humour Awards?

--
Curt

Curt
May 18th 07, 03:45 AM
WotMeWurry wrote:
[...]

> I have a #2 haircut - it looks good
> and requires no effort.

That's what I like about the shaved head - nearly zero maintenance. I
shave it down to the scalp every week or two. Buzz it with a clippers
and then go over it with my electric razor or sometimes a Trac 2 and
shaving cream.

> If I go bald, thats life and lets face it
> some guys look better bald.

A few people have encouraged me to let my hair grow, but my response
is always, "Trust me, it's better this way!"

--
Curt

Lucas Buck
May 18th 07, 08:51 PM
On Fri, 18 May 2007 00:27:24 GMT, "David Cohen" > wrote:

>"Richard" > wrote

>>>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/05/17/nhair17.xml
>>>
>>> Great. Just what I want -- a body full of mouse hair.
>>
>> Yeah.. I was just thinking, it would really stink. But it would be soft
>> and
>> cudly.. women would really love it and you'd never have to tell them the
>> secret.
>
>Your five inch incisors might give it away.
>
>David

Some women like a little "love bite" now and then... but not one that goes right through the spleen.

WotMeWurry
May 19th 07, 10:43 PM
Curt wrote:
> WotMeWurry wrote:
> [...]
>
>> I have a #2 haircut - it looks good
>> and requires no effort.
>
> That's what I like about the shaved head - nearly zero maintenance. I
> shave it down to the scalp every week or two. Buzz it with a clippers
> and then go over it with my electric razor or sometimes a Trac 2 and
> shaving cream.

Even shaving it is too much effort - cropped to a #2 is zero maintenance :)

>> If I go bald, thats life and lets face it
>> some guys look better bald.
>
> A few people have encouraged me to let my hair grow, but my response
> is always, "Trust me, it's better this way!"

Why grow it - consider the look - some hair emphasises the baldness - and
the maintenance. No thanks.