PDA

View Full Version : Cold hands

June 8th 07, 01:58 AM
Over the last 8 months I have lost 50 pounds in weight. I've noticed
the cold alot more since losing weight. This is one negative that no
one seems to mention about losing weight. My metabolism has slowed
down alot and my resting heart rate is 52. It used to be 65 , but now
I'm alot fitter. My hands and nose feel cold alot of the time. Is this
because of my slower heart rate. Is there anything I can do about this
apart from putting weight back on which i don't want to do. I now
weigh 161 pounds and I'm 5 foot 8 inches.

joanne
June 8th 07, 03:12 AM
On Jun 7, 5:58 pm, "
> wrote:
> This is one negative that no one seems to mention about
> losing weight.

Thats probably because most people do not experience this.

> My metabolism has slowed down alot <<snip>> but now I'm alot fitter.

I would think that the fitter you are the more your metabolism speeds
up not slow down.

> My hands and nose feel cold alot of the time.

Go out into the sun and go to your doctor for a TSH thyroid test. One
of the main symptoms of a thyroid disorder is sensitivity to cold.

joanne

Omelet
June 8th 07, 09:18 AM
In article . com>,
joanne > wrote:

> On Jun 7, 5:58 pm, "
> > wrote:
> > This is one negative that no one seems to mention about
> > losing weight.
>
> Thats probably because most people do not experience this.
>
> > My metabolism has slowed down alot <<snip>> but now I'm alot fitter.
>
> I would think that the fitter you are the more your metabolism speeds
> up not slow down.
>
> > My hands and nose feel cold alot of the time.
>
> Go out into the sun and go to your doctor for a TSH thyroid test. One
> of the main symptoms of a thyroid disorder is sensitivity to cold.
>

> joanne

Excellent advice.
Be sure to ask for a total T3 too. TSH usually will show it but not if
it's sub-clinical.

My doc _always_ runs those (Total T3's) on her thyroid patients. She is
an endocrinologist.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Straight Arrow
June 8th 07, 11:33 AM
"Omelet" <> My doc _always_ runs those (Total T3's) on her thyroid patients.
She is
> an endocrinologist.
> --

Give your boyfriend more hand-jobs and your hands will stay warmer longer.

Steve Freides
June 8th 07, 02:16 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Over the last 8 months I have lost 50 pounds in weight. I've noticed
> the cold alot more since losing weight. This is one negative that no
> one seems to mention about losing weight. My metabolism has slowed
> down alot and my resting heart rate is 52. It used to be 65 , but now
> I'm alot fitter. My hands and nose feel cold alot of the time. Is this
> because of my slower heart rate. Is there anything I can do about this
> apart from putting weight back on which i don't want to do. I now
> weigh 161 pounds and I'm 5 foot 8 inches.

This being mfw, you won't get a lot of serious answers, but I intend to
try. :)

First, see your doctor. While what you're experiencing isn't
necessarily indicative of a medical problem, you never know.

Second, consider meditation or something along those lines that focuses
on relaxation, e.g., tai chi or qigong practice, or at least just make
some time to completely relax, e.g., a long, hot bath. Cold extremities
can indicate tension. If you Google, e.g., "how do biofeedback devices
work," you'll find that, although there are several kinds, they usually
reward increasing the temperature of your hands, and they tell you the
way to accomplish that is by focusing on relaxing.

Third, you may just have to put on an extra layer - you did lose some
insulation, after all. I'm about your height, weigh a little less, and
I'm pretty lean. I went through a lot of my adult life slightly heavier
than I am now and dropped the weight for good about 10 years ago. - the
combination of losing weight and getting older means I simply don't
tolerate the cold as well as I used to. You don't mention your age but
that can be a factor, too - ever notice how warm your grandparents keep
their house? :)

Hope that helps, best of luck to you.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com