PDA

View Full Version : Balanced muscle development - advice sought

Peter
June 24th 07, 06:14 PM
Are there any websites that give (good) advice on balanced muscle
development?

I've not put a lot of thought into my exercise routine so far. It's just a
bit of this and a bit of that. Recently my shoulders have begun to hurt
with certain movements and I'm thinking maybe the (very modest) development
of my pecs has somehow unbalanced the muscles around my shoulders so they
don't work the way they should. Does that sound likely?

TIA

Ted
June 24th 07, 06:43 PM
Peter wrote:
> Are there any websites that give (good) advice on balanced muscle
> development?
>
> I've not put a lot of thought into my exercise routine so far. It's just a
> bit of this and a bit of that. Recently my shoulders have begun to hurt
> with certain movements and I'm thinking maybe the (very modest) development
> of my pecs has somehow unbalanced the muscles around my shoulders so they
> don't work the way they should. Does that sound likely?
>

> TIA

It might be worth your while googling "rotator cuff injury" see if
the symptoms described match yours??

Curt
June 24th 07, 08:21 PM
Peter <[email protected]> wrote:

> Are there any websites that give (good) advice on balanced muscle
> development?

Yes.

There are probably millions. Here's one:

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/alton24.htm

It says teen bodybuilding but, hey, what do your muscles know? You
think they can tell the difference between 19 and 29? I don't think
so.

Work around any injuries by substituting exercises that don't hurt for
the ones that do hurt. 'No pain, no gain' is not necessarily the
truth.

Another useful resource:

http://exrx.net/

> I've not put a lot of thought into my exercise routine so far. It's just a
> bit of this and a bit of that. Recently my shoulders have begun to hurt
> with certain movements and I'm thinking maybe the (very modest) development
> of my pecs has somehow unbalanced the muscles around my shoulders so they
> don't work the way they should. Does that sound likely?

No.

Like any sport, if you're working out or exercising then you're going
to get sore. Especially as a newbie. Even as a regular lifter who's
taken some time off and then jumped back into it too 'hardcore' or
enthusiastically.

You might have pulled a muscle or stretched a ligament, what have you,
but I seriously doubt that your pecs have impaired the ability of your
shoulders to move properly.

> TIA

You're welcome.

Best wishes to you for successful training.

--
Curt

Curt
June 24th 07, 08:48 PM
I scribbled:
> Peter <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Are there any websites that give (good) advice on balanced muscle
> > development?
>
> Yes.
>
> There are probably millions.

Make that millions plus one:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbmaintrain.htm

[...]

--

Tom Anderson
June 25th 07, 12:10 AM
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007, Peter wrote:

> Recently my shoulders have begun to hurt with certain movements and I'm
> thinking maybe the (very modest) development of my pecs has somehow
> unbalanced the muscles around my shoulders so they don't work the way
> they should. Does that sound likely?

A friend of mine was having some shoulder trouble, and his GP told him
exactly that. Mind you, GPs are complete idiots, so this could be
bull****.

Whether it's true or not, it won't hurt to concentrate on your seated or
bent-over rows for a bit.

Unless you do have a rotator cuff injury, of course, in which case it will
hurt a lot.

tom

--
Once you notice that something doesn't seem to have all the necessary
parts to enable its functions, it is going to mildly bug you until you

Curt
June 25th 07, 12:37 AM
Tom Anderson wrote:
> Peter wrote:
> > Recently my shoulders have begun to hurt with certain movements and I'm
> > thinking maybe the (very modest) development of my pecs has somehow
> > unbalanced the muscles around my shoulders so they don't work the way
> > they should. Does that sound likely?
>
> A friend of mine was having some shoulder trouble, and his GP told him
> exactly that.

Get OUT! Seriously?

> Mind you, GPs are complete idiots, so this could be bull****.

I had a doctor tell me that I had athlete's foot and recommended that
I soak the foot. Turns out it was a case of plantar warts and water
was the worst thing for it. THANKS, DOC!

Eventually, I successfully self medicated with over the counter
salicylic acid and one of those Dr. Scholl's foot scraper things.

> Whether it's true or not, it won't hurt to concentrate on your seated or
> bent-over rows for a bit.
>
> Unless you do have a rotator cuff injury, of course, in which case it will
> hurt a lot.
>
> tom

Or he could get an MRI and almost freak the @#$% out from that 'coffin
experience' and then find out there's nothing wrong and then feel like
a big sissy because there's not a damn thing wrong with him, hey, but
I wouldn't know anything about anything like that, of course. So.

--
Curt

VinCe
June 25th 07, 03:38 AM
On Jun 25, 7:37 am, Curt > wrote:
> Tom Anderson wrote:
> > Peter wrote:
> > > Recently my shoulders have begun to hurt with certain movements and I'm
> > > thinking maybe the (very modest) development of my pecs has somehow
> > > unbalanced the muscles around my shoulders so they don't work the way
> > > they should. Does that sound likely?
>
> > A friend of mine was having some shoulder trouble, and his GP told him
> > exactly that.
>
> Get OUT! Seriously?
>
> > Mind you, GPs are complete idiots, so this could be bull****.
>
> I had a doctor tell me that I had athlete's foot and recommended that
> I soak the foot. Turns out it was a case of plantar warts and water
> was the worst thing for it. THANKS, DOC!

Oh, they are,

" Stutter "

A guy walks into the doctor's office and says,

"DDDDDoc, I've bbbeen stut-stuttterrrering for Ye-yeears, and
IIII'm tired of it. Ca-ca-caan yoooou hellllp me?"

The doctor says, "Well, I'll have to examine you to see what's going
on."

So he examines him, and says, "Well I think I know what the
problem is."

The guy asks, "We-we-well wwwhat is it, dddoc?

The doctor replies, "Well, it's your penis, it's about a foot
long and all the down pressure is putting strain on your vocal
cords."

The guy asks, "Wwwhaat ca-can we dddo?"

The doctor says, "Well, I can cut it off and transplant a shorter
one."

The guy replies, "DDDDDoooo it!"

The guy has the operation and three weeks later, he comes back
into the doctor's office and says,

"Doc, you solved the problem and I don't stutter anymore, but
I've only had sex once in the past three weeks. My wife doesn't
like it anymore. She liked it better with my long one. I don't
care if I have to stutter, I want you to put my long one back
on."

The doctor says, "NNNNope a ddddeal's aaa dddddeal!!!

hehe

-Vince

Steve Freides
June 26th 07, 01:47 AM
"Peter" > wrote in message
.uk...
> Are there any websites that give (good) advice on balanced muscle
> development?
>
> I've not put a lot of thought into my exercise routine so far. It's
> just a bit of this and a bit of that. Recently my shoulders have
> begun to hurt with certain movements and I'm thinking maybe the (very
> modest) development of my pecs has somehow unbalanced the muscles
> around my shoulders so they don't work the way they should. Does
> that sound likely?

What constitutes "balanced" development is highly individual. Given
that you've recently changed your exercise program and you've begun
experiencing problems, it's reasonable enough to assume there's a
connection, but you never can be sure. Get someone to watch you perform
the exercises at issue here and point out any flaws in your technique -
that may be all you need.

The conventional wisdom says you should do rows along with bench presses
for balance, but I don't think that this is either universally necessary
or universally effective.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Curt
June 26th 07, 05:29 AM
Freides wrote:
[...]

> but I don't think that this is either universally necessary or universally effective.

What was that about Mars? Or was it Venus? And, honestly, is there
ANYTHING that's universally effective?

--

Tom Anderson
June 26th 07, 11:23 AM
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007, Curt wrote:

> Freides wrote:
>
>> but I don't think that this is either universally necessary or universally effective.
>
> What was that about Mars? Or was it Venus? And, honestly, is there
> ANYTHING that's universally effective?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics.

tom

--
The term Nihilartikel for a fictitious entry originated at the German
Wikipedia but was later identified as a hoax. -- Wikipedia