PDA

View Full Version : Pleasing progress

Bob Volkmer
April 2nd 08, 07:49 AM
After hitting the gym 5-6 days a week with split routines the last 6-7
months after recovering from illness, I decided to take a break for 8
days and visit my parents interstate. Even though I did no exercise and
felt like I actually consumed more food than usual (Can't beat mum's
cooking even if she is almost 80)I lost almost 3 KG. Weird.

I got back in the gym on Monday just past (back), Tuesday (chest)and
today (legs) I decided to begin with a few deadlifts.

My previous best was 130 KG (I know that weight is nothing special but I
weigh 85 KG and am 56 years). Because I failed at 135 KG some weeks back
I had decided to drop back to doing them 5 X 5 at about 100 KG for a
month, once a week. Anyhow, today I worked up to a lift of 140 KG with
relative ease. I have no idea if it was taking the break from lifting or
the change in routine to 5 X 5 for a while that made the difference but
I sure feel stronger and lost 3 KG to boot!

Bob Volkmer

Omelet[_3_]
April 2nd 08, 08:59 AM
In article <[email protected]>,
Bob Volkmer > wrote:

> After hitting the gym 5-6 days a week with split routines the last 6-7
> months after recovering from illness, I decided to take a break for 8
> days and visit my parents interstate. Even though I did no exercise and
> felt like I actually consumed more food than usual (Can't beat mum's
> cooking even if she is almost 80)I lost almost 3 KG. Weird.
>
> I got back in the gym on Monday just past (back), Tuesday (chest)and
> today (legs) I decided to begin with a few deadlifts.
>
> My previous best was 130 KG (I know that weight is nothing special but I
> weigh 85 KG and am 56 years). Because I failed at 135 KG some weeks back
> I had decided to drop back to doing them 5 X 5 at about 100 KG for a
> month, once a week. Anyhow, today I worked up to a lift of 140 KG with
> relative ease. I have no idea if it was taking the break from lifting or
> the change in routine to 5 X 5 for a while that made the difference but
> I sure feel stronger and lost 3 KG to boot!
>
> Bob Volkmer

Well done!

Keep up the good work. :-)

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
-- Jack Nicholson

April 2nd 08, 03:23 PM
On 4月2日, 下午3时59分, Omelet > wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Bob Volkmer > wrote:
>

> > After hitting the gym 5-6 days a week with split routines the last 6-7
> > months after recovering from illness, I decided to take a break for 8
> > days and visit my parents interstate. Even though I did no exercise and
> > felt like I actually consumed more food than usual (Can't beat mum's
> > cooking even if she is almost 80)I lost almost 3 KG. Weird.
>
> > I got back in the gym on Monday just past (back), Tuesday (chest)and
> > today (legs) I decided to begin with a few deadlifts.
>
> > My previous best was 130 KG (I know that weight is nothing special but I
> > weigh 85 KG and am 56 years). Because I failed at 135 KG some weeks back
> > I had decided to drop back to doing them 5 X 5 at about 100 KG for a
> > month, once a week. Anyhow, today I worked up to a lift of 140 KG with
> > relative ease. I have no idea if it was taking the break from lifting or
> > the change in routine to 5 X 5 for a while that made the difference but
> > I sure feel stronger and lost 3 KG to boot!
>
> > Bob Volkmer
>
> Well done!
>
> Keep up the good work. :-)
> --
> --
>
> Peace! Om
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
> -- Jack Nicholson- 隐藏被引用文字 -
>
> - 显示引用的文字 -

Man!

Burr
April 3rd 08, 12:54 AM
"Bob Volkmer" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> After hitting the gym 5-6 days a week with split routines the last 6-7
> months after recovering from illness, I decided to take a break for 8 days
> and visit my parents interstate. Even though I did no exercise and felt
> like I actually consumed more food than usual (Can't beat mum's cooking
> even if she is almost 80)I lost almost 3 KG. Weird.
>
> I got back in the gym on Monday just past (back), Tuesday (chest)and today
> (legs) I decided to begin with a few deadlifts.
>
> My previous best was 130 KG (I know that weight is nothing special but I
> weigh 85 KG and am 56 years). Because I failed at 135 KG some weeks back I
> had decided to drop back to doing them 5 X 5 at about 100 KG for a month,
> once a week. Anyhow, today I worked up to a lift of 140 KG with relative
> ease. I have no idea if it was taking the break from lifting or the change
> in routine to 5 X 5 for a while that made the difference but I sure feel
> stronger and lost 3 KG to boot!
>
> Bob Volkmer

You're doing great Bob.
56 and pumping the iron is great, I can't say enough good words for you.
You may have changed your attitude a little and got into the "I CAN"
mode.

ANYWAY, glad to hear you're doing good.

Burr

Homer Simpson[_2_]
April 3rd 08, 01:31 AM
Hi Bob
I honestly think it was the 8 days off that made you stronger. When I was
competing I would either take an entire week off before the meet, or go in
on wednesday if I was feeling ansy and do 3 sets of 3 with 50% of my first
attempts in each lift.

Taking a week off at least once every 3 months gives your body time to
recover as well as micro injuries to heal. I am 52 and find these weeks off
more crucial now than they ever were.

"Bob Volkmer" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> After hitting the gym 5-6 days a week with split routines the last 6-7
> months after recovering from illness, I decided to take a break for 8 days
> and visit my parents interstate. Even though I did no exercise and felt
> like I actually consumed more food than usual (Can't beat mum's cooking
> even if she is almost 80)I lost almost 3 KG. Weird.
>
> I got back in the gym on Monday just past (back), Tuesday (chest)and today
> (legs) I decided to begin with a few deadlifts.
>
> My previous best was 130 KG (I know that weight is nothing special but I
> weigh 85 KG and am 56 years). Because I failed at 135 KG some weeks back I
> had decided to drop back to doing them 5 X 5 at about 100 KG for a month,
> once a week. Anyhow, today I worked up to a lift of 140 KG with relative
> ease. I have no idea if it was taking the break from lifting or the change
> in routine to 5 X 5 for a while that made the difference but I sure feel
> stronger and lost 3 KG to boot!
>
> Bob Volkmer

April 4th 08, 07:26 PM
rest always helps, in the long run it always makes you stronger.

just my 2c.

cheers,

ira

Random Link:
http://igman.com/evropska%2Dunija/rjecnik/search.asp?look_for=special
http://igman.com/evropska%2Dunija/rjecnik/search.asp?look_for=united
http://igman.com/evropska%2Dunija/rjecnik/search.asp?look_for=unified
http://igman.com/evropska%2Dunija/rjecnik/search.asp?look_for=bosnia
http://igman.com/evropska%2Dunija/rjecnik/search.asp?look_for=progress

April 4th 08, 07:29 PM
On Apr 4, 11:26*am, wrote:

> rest always helps, in the long run it always makes you stronger.
>
> just my 2c.
>
> cheers,
>
> ira

> Random Link: http://www.igman.com/evropska-unija/rjecnik/search.asp?look_for=%CE%97%CE%BD%CF%89%CE%BC%CE%AD %CE%BD%CE%B5%CF%82+%CE%A0%CE%BF%CE%BB%CE%B9%CF%84% CE%B5%CE%AF%CE%B5%CF%82+%CE%91%CE%BC%CE%B5%CF%81%C E%B9%CE%BA%CE%AE%CF%82

http://igman.com/evropska%2Dunija/rjecnik/search.asp?look_for=unified

http://igman.com/evropska%2Dunija/rjecnik/search.asp?look_for=bosnia

R P
April 4th 08, 07:40 PM
Reading this post,..I don't feel so old.
I notice some of you guys responding say you are 52, 56, & so-on. I'm
58.

I'm fighting a plateau just now,..& in process of changing my
routines somewhat. Maybe what I need is a break?

I'm also the one who posted the question about muscle / muscle group
frequency.
That was asked in regard to my changes.
ron

Homer Simpson[_2_]
April 4th 08, 11:27 PM
"R P" > wrote in message
> Reading this post,..I don't feel so old.
> I notice some of you guys responding say you are 52, 56, & so-on. I'm
> 58.
>
> I'm fighting a plateau just now,..& in process of changing my
> routines somewhat. Maybe what I need is a break?
>
> I'm also the one who posted the question about muscle / muscle group
> frequency.
> That was asked in regard to my changes.
> ron

Here is the way I have my routine set up. Given larger muscles need more
time to recover than smaller ones do, and given triceps get secondary work
from chest training, and biceps get secondary work from back training.
Monday I do Chest/triceps/rear delts, Wednesday legs, Thursday
Back/Triceps/front and side delts. This way my tris and bis are getting
trained twice a week but my chest, legs, and back are getting trained once a
week.

I generally do 3 exercises per body part and 3 sets per exercise. My
workouts take about 45 minutes.

BTW I put some photos on photobucket so you can see who you are
corresponding with here. Remember I have never trained for mass, I have
always tried to Squat, Benchpress, and Deadlift the most I could without
going into the next weight division. Also the newest of the pictures I
posted was a year old.

http://s288.photobucket.com/albums/ll171/homersimpson_album/

Homer Simpson[_2_]
April 5th 08, 04:31 PM
"Homer Simpson" > wrote in message

> "R P" > wrote in message
>> Reading this post,..I don't feel so old.
>> I notice some of you guys responding say you are 52, 56, & so-on. I'm
>> 58.
>>
>> I'm fighting a plateau just now,..& in process of changing my
>> routines somewhat. Maybe what I need is a break?
>>
>> I'm also the one who posted the question about muscle / muscle group
>> frequency.
>> That was asked in regard to my changes.
>> ron
>>

> Here is the way I have my routine set up. Given larger muscles need more
> time to recover than smaller ones do, and given triceps get secondary work
> from chest training, and biceps get secondary work from back training.
> Monday I do Chest/triceps/rear delts, Wednesday legs, Thursday
> Back/Triceps/front and side delts. This way my tris and bis are getting
> trained twice a week but my chest, legs, and back are getting trained once
> a week.
>
> I generally do 3 exercises per body part and 3 sets per exercise. My
> workouts take about 45 minutes.
>
> BTW I put some photos on photobucket so you can see who you are
> corresponding with here. Remember I have never trained for mass, I have
> always tried to Squat, Benchpress, and Deadlift the most I could without
> going into the next weight division. Also the newest of the pictures I
> posted was a year old.
>
> http://s288.photobucket.com/albums/ll171/homersimpson_album/
I made an error when I was typing up my routine. I do Chest/Biceps/Rear
delts on mondays not Chest/Triceps/Rear delts.

R P
April 5th 08, 05:44 PM
I notice you don't list any direct bicep work at all,.? Do you do
heavier weight / fewer reps / or more moderate weight / higher
reps?....Ron

R P
April 6th 08, 06:29 AM
I'm missing something. If you are doing chest,tri's & delts on
Mon,..legs on Wed,..& back Bi's & rear delts on Thurs.
How do you figure you are doing tri's & Bi's twice in a week ?
Unless you left something out,..your doing all muscle groups once a
week,.???

Homer Simpson[_2_]
April 6th 08, 11:40 PM
"R P" > wrote in message
> I'm missing something. If you are doing chest,tri's & delts on
> Mon,..legs on Wed,..& back Bi's & rear delts on Thurs.
> How do you figure you are doing tri's & Bi's twice in a week ?
> Unless you left something out,..your doing all muscle groups once a
> week,.???

As my original post reads..I do Back/Triceps/Front and side delts on
thursday

Homer Simpson[_2_]
April 6th 08, 11:42 PM
"R P" > wrote in message
> I notice you don't list any direct bicep work at all,.? Do you do
> heavier weight / fewer reps / or more moderate weight / higher
> reps?....Ron

I made a correction in a later post. I do biceps on chest and rear delt day.
And my reps vary. Usually my direct arm and shoulder work is in the 8 to 12
range. My bench work can vary anywhere from heavy triples to sets of ten, or
even pyramid schemes. I stick with one style of training for about 4 or 5
weeks then switch to another.

6packer
April 7th 08, 09:14 PM
Ok, well , a great six pack of abs is something everybody wants. The
problem about getting abs is that people lose motivation and dont
realize that the true success to getting abs is through patience and
persistencce I made a blog at www.superrippedabs.blogspot.com to help
people get the abs they want. I really hope the blog and the programs
in it are a great help to you.