PDA

View Full Version : Brand new newbie questions: Are some biceps genetically limited?

Brian Link
January 19th 04, 07:49 AM
Okay, this is actually a variant of the "how can I get hyooge arms"
type question. But I'm starting to get curious about the anatomy of
bicep growth. For the "muscular man" aesthetic, bulging biceps seem to
be a requirement.

I have relatively long arms. My last experience around a lot of
regular guys lifting weights was that the tall, lanky guys with long
arms would tend to firm up their biceps, but it was only certain body
type (squat) that started growing the balloons.

My chest seems to be filling out nicely. Ever since I started doing
barbell squats my quads are going crazy, and I can see they're making
some nice gains. Biceps seem to be lagging behind though.

Now, I accept that maybe I haven't found the right exercise, or am not
doing my bicep exercises in the most effective way. On the other hand,
could it be that - say, given no-holds-barred, totally committed
workouts with a good trainer + perfect nutrition (but no pharms) my
biceps will just not balloon out? Maybe this is just a genetic
limitation?

Mostly I just want to get a better feel for this so I don't beat
myself up with unrealistic expectations. Overall I'm happy with my
progress, I enjoy working out, and if I can muster the dietary
discipline I may have a photogenic physique by this summer. But I am
curious about what to expect outta my arms.

Previously I've done dumbell bicep curls, most recently in an HST
format. I've decided on reading some stuff here to dispense with the
isolation for now and just count on getting bicep activation with my
bent-over dumbell rows and assisted pull-ups.

Best thing I ever did for my workout was go to the barbell squats
though. No other exercise has added so much to my general strength and
stamina. And dumbell chest presses n dips are giving me nice size in
the upper body, but I don't want to be a big chest with a couple
spindly arms dangling off the sides.

Thanks as always for any info.

Brian Link, Minnesota Countertenor
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Mother, people only invite you to dinner for
three reasons: to sell you vitamins, to drug you
and take unpleasant snapshots, or to convert you
to their hideous farming religion."

OmegaAlpha2004
January 19th 04, 04:24 PM
"Brian Link" > wrote in message
> Okay, this is actually a variant of the "how can I get hyooge arms"
> type question. But I'm starting to get curious about the anatomy of
> bicep growth. For the "muscular man" aesthetic, bulging biceps seem to
> be a requirement.
>
> I have relatively long arms. My last experience around a lot of
> regular guys lifting weights was that the tall, lanky guys with long
> arms would tend to firm up their biceps, but it was only certain body
> type (squat) that started growing the balloons.
>
> My chest seems to be filling out nicely. Ever since I started doing
> barbell squats my quads are going crazy, and I can see they're making
> some nice gains. Biceps seem to be lagging behind though.
>
> Now, I accept that maybe I haven't found the right exercise, or am not
> doing my bicep exercises in the most effective way. On the other hand,
> could it be that - say, given no-holds-barred, totally committed
> workouts with a good trainer + perfect nutrition (but no pharms) my
> biceps will just not balloon out? Maybe this is just a genetic
> limitation?
>
> Mostly I just want to get a better feel for this so I don't beat
> myself up with unrealistic expectations. Overall I'm happy with my
> progress, I enjoy working out, and if I can muster the dietary
> discipline I may have a photogenic physique by this summer. But I am
> curious about what to expect outta my arms.
>
> Previously I've done dumbell bicep curls, most recently in an HST
> format. I've decided on reading some stuff here to dispense with the
> isolation for now and just count on getting bicep activation with my
> bent-over dumbell rows and assisted pull-ups.
>
> Best thing I ever did for my workout was go to the barbell squats
> though. No other exercise has added so much to my general strength and
> stamina. And dumbell chest presses n dips are giving me nice size in
> the upper body, but I don't want to be a big chest with a couple
> spindly arms dangling off the sides.

Try doing more reps/sets @ a 12-rep max; and do 3-4 different exercises
(plus pullups and chinups on back day). Add that arm volume and eat.

You may have some genetic limitation with that lankey frame in that you have
good leverage mechanically, to lift a given weight at the end of your long
lever "arm".

To overcome that you need to do more hypertrophy-specific routines than
others might have to do for the same effect.

Since you say you are adding size to other body parts I assume you do not
have a systemic genetic profile that is gonna keep your armaments (hehe)
small.

What are your physical stats (BW, stature etc.)?

Age? How long working out?

> Thanks as always for any info.
>
> Brian Link, Minnesota Countertenor
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> "Mother, people only invite you to dinner for
> three reasons: to sell you vitamins, to drug you
> and take unpleasant snapshots, or to convert you
> to their hideous farming religion."

Kevin J. Coolidge
January 19th 04, 11:33 PM
actually, my favorite excercise for biceps in a chinup with a curl grip. But
then I have found most heavy back excercises help my biceps. Also wide grip
bench presses do wonders. In multijoint high resistance excercises, the
antagonists often act as synergists, especially in experienced lifters