PDA

View Full Version : Gauging progress, 2x/week HST opinions wanted

Dan Cosley
January 25th 04, 06:52 PM
I just finished working out today and, just for fun, compared today's
workout (full body, plain old progressive resistance at 10 reps) to a
2-day split from last year about this time. Details below for anyone
wants to compare, share, or comment; I'd be curious to see how other
people have evolved over the last year.

I'm pleased enough. Strength is a distant fourth goal, behind
squash (5 hrs/week), cycling (10/week when warm), and weight
loss (15 pounds last year). I also had three layoffs of over
2 weeks (separated shoulder and a couple of nasty illnesses),
which hurt progress a bit.

Not sure what to shoot for this year. I've still got losable fat, and
I exercised enough last year that it cut into my school progress (4th
year PhD), so I was thinking of staying with simple, 45-minute full
body workouts like today's, twice a week or so. I'm considering HST,
and am soliciting opinions and anecdotes about how badly my lust for
squash/biking and my desire to lift only twice a week would affect the
value of a HST program. There's an article on the HST site that
cites a study supporting 3x/week vs. 1x/week, and claims 3x "might be"
better than 2x, but doesn't have a cite for that. Thoughts?

-- Dan

Today (BW around 200)

Bench Press 75 x 10, 125 x 3, 150 x 10 x 2
Shrug 180 x 10 x 2 (only got 7 on the 2nd)
Chin 0 x 3 x 3
Deadlift 145 x 10, 235 x 4, 285 x 6, 295 x 6
Leg Extension 70 x 10, 115 x 10 x 2
Shoulder Press 80 x 10 x 2 (only got 9 on the 2nd)
Decline Crunch 15 x 10 x 2

1-26-03/1-30-03 (BW around 215)

Leg Extension 70 x 12 (warmup)
Leg Curl 70 x 12 (warmup)
SLDL 225 x 8 x 2
Calf Raise 275 x 12
Squat 170 x 20
Crunch 55 x 12 x 2

Shrug 145 x 12 x 2
Bench Press 60 x 12, 110 x 12 x 2
Lat Pulldown 70 x 12, 110 x 12 x 2
Incline Bench 85 x 12 x 2
Dumbbell Row 65 x 8 x 2
Inc. DB Curl 25 x 12 x 2

--
Dan Cosley * http://www.cs.umn.edu/~cosley/)
GroupLens Research Lab, Univ of MN (http://movielens.umn.edu/ * 612.624.8372)

Hugh Beyer
January 25th 04, 09:40 PM
Dan Cosley > wrote in news:bv138l$4kq$1
@lenny.tc.umn.edu:

> Not sure what to shoot for this year. I've still got losable fat, and
> I exercised enough last year that it cut into my school progress (4th
> year PhD), so I was thinking of staying with simple, 45-minute full
> body workouts like today's, twice a week or so. I'm considering HST,
> and am soliciting opinions and anecdotes about how badly my lust for
> squash/biking and my desire to lift only twice a week would affect the
> value of a HST program. There's an article on the HST site that
> cites a study supporting 3x/week vs. 1x/week, and claims 3x "might be"
> better than 2x, but doesn't have a cite for that. Thoughts?

"Better" only makes sense in relation to your goals. We've been kicking a
study around in another thread that shows that 3x week is "better" than 2x
week for strength gain and for fat loss (when diet wasn't controlled). But it
didn't show that 3x week was half again as good as 2x week. If your
priorities are squash, biking, and finishing your PhD, 2x week might well be
"better".

Hugh

--
Help! My myofibrillar material is disorganized!

Wayne S. Hill
January 25th 04, 09:55 PM
Dan Cosley wrote:

> I'm considering HST, and am
> soliciting opinions and anecdotes about how badly my lust
> for squash/biking and my desire to lift only twice a week
> would affect the value of a HST program. There's an article
> on the HST site that cites a study supporting 3x/week vs.
> 1x/week, and claims 3x "might be" better than 2x, but
> doesn't have a cite for that. Thoughts?

I'm undertraining if I lift less than 3x per week. Really,
though, you've got to pick your priorities and pursue them.
Personally, I'd do the 3rd HST workout, but my priorities are
strength-oriented.

--
-Wayne