PDA

View Full Version : Powertec Leverage workbench anyone with personal experience with it?

Kenn Lynch
February 1st 04, 04:40 PM
I have been contemplating upgrading my bench and squat stand to a
Powertec WB-LS this is a very heavy leverage based workbench that in
addition to the regular bench with lat pulldown and upper and lower
cable station allows up to 1000lb squats and benchs via leverage arms
(using add on olympic plates) The bars are apparently very loosely
linked to the leverage arms allowing very close to actual free
movement but in a safer self spotting environement.

I dont have the room vertical or horizontal for a cage and don't want
a squat rack so please don't recommend that unless you've tried this
unit and have specific complaints about it.

The clever way the bench swings away makes It look like a pretty
decent comprimise, but I can see where if it's not as easy to move
away it may not be very effective to use. But I'm realy tempted
because My present arrangement for squats is near it max weight and
I feel an invitation for disastor or injury (have to take about 5
right angle steps away from the rack)

heres a couple of reviews
http://www.epinions.com/content_103957892740
http://products.consumerguide.com/cp/family/review/index.cfm/id/25086
http://www.home-gym-review.com/Powertec-Workbench-Leverage-System-Home-Gym-(WB-LS).htm

Comments welcome

KJL

bob
February 17th 04, 08:25 AM
I have only had it for a few days now, but I love it. I know hardcore
lifters would never even look at this type of equipment, but for an average
guy like me it is perfect. I bought mine used on ebay based on the positive
reviews in the same articles you referenced. Here are my additional
positive comments:

= whisper quiet and smooth as silk (leverage component as well as pulley
systems)
= very sturdy and strong
= very natural motion in the bench press (for me anyway)
= extremely small footprint. this takes up less space than i had planned
for. fits nicely in a corner when the bench is swung out, which, by the
way, takes about 2 seconds.

I still use free weights for curls, however, i am considering the preacher
curl attachment that Powertec offers. It seems the only thing these guys
didn't think of was a way to promote their product. Their official website
has less information than i found on independent sights. I am still
learning how to adjust the bench for inclines, declines, etc. I'd be
interested to hear comments from other users.

"Kenn Lynch" > wrote in message
> I have been contemplating upgrading my bench and squat stand to a
> Powertec WB-LS this is a very heavy leverage based workbench that in
> addition to the regular bench with lat pulldown and upper and lower
> cable station allows up to 1000lb squats and benchs via leverage arms
> (using add on olympic plates) The bars are apparently very loosely
> linked to the leverage arms allowing very close to actual free
> movement but in a safer self spotting environement.
>
> I dont have the room vertical or horizontal for a cage and don't want
> a squat rack so please don't recommend that unless you've tried this
> unit and have specific complaints about it.
>
> The clever way the bench swings away makes It look like a pretty
> decent comprimise, but I can see where if it's not as easy to move
> away it may not be very effective to use. But I'm realy tempted
> because My present arrangement for squats is near it max weight and
> I feel an invitation for disastor or injury (have to take about 5
> right angle steps away from the rack)
>
> heres a couple of reviews
> http://www.epinions.com/content_103957892740
> http://products.consumerguide.com/cp/family/review/index.cfm/id/25086

http://www.home-gym-review.com/Powertec-Workbench-Leverage-System-Home-Gym-(WB-LS).htm

> Comments welcome
>
> KJL

Wayne S. Hill
February 17th 04, 02:06 PM
bob wrote:

> I still use free weights for curls, however, i am
> considering the preacher curl attachment that Powertec
> offers.

Preacher curls are classic elbow-killers. I wouldn't pay a
plugged nickel for a preacher attachment. I'd suggest getting an
Olympic EZ curl bar, instead (which can also be used for triceps
extensions.

--
-Wayne

Lee Michaels
February 17th 04, 02:12 PM
"Wayne S. Hill" > wrote in message
> bob wrote:
>
> > I still use free weights for curls, however, i am
> > considering the preacher curl attachment that Powertec
> > offers.
>
> Preacher curls are classic elbow-killers. I wouldn't pay a
> plugged nickel for a preacher attachment. I'd suggest getting an
> Olympic EZ curl bar, instead (which can also be used for triceps
> extensions.

Amen brother.

I always wondered why newbies are obsessed with destroying various joints in
the body. Maybe they don't think they need elbows or something. But if they
want big arms, chronic tendonitis or joint damage ain't gonna do it.

David Cohen
February 17th 04, 02:23 PM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote
> "Wayne S. Hill" > wrote
> > bob wrote:
> >
> > > I still use free weights for curls, however, i am
> > > considering the preacher curl attachment that Powertec
> > > offers.
> >
> > Preacher curls are classic elbow-killers. I wouldn't pay a
> > plugged nickel for a preacher attachment. I'd suggest getting an
> > Olympic EZ curl bar, instead (which can also be used for triceps
> > extensions.
> >
> Amen brother.
>
> I always wondered why newbies are obsessed with destroying various
joints in
> the body.

Muscle mags, muscle TV shows, many muscle books.

Now you can stop wondering. It was distracting you.

David

Lee Michaels
February 17th 04, 02:42 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote
> "Lee Michaels" > wrote

> > > Preacher curls are classic elbow-killers. I wouldn't pay a
> > > plugged nickel for a preacher attachment. I'd suggest getting an
> > > Olympic EZ curl bar, instead (which can also be used for triceps
> > > extensions.
> > >
> > Amen brother.
> >
> > I always wondered why newbies are obsessed with destroying various
> joints in
> > the body.
>
> Muscle mags, muscle TV shows, many muscle books.
>
> Now you can stop wondering. It was distracting you.

DRS
February 17th 04, 02:48 PM
Wayne S. Hill > wrote in message

> bob wrote:
>
>> I still use free weights for curls, however, i am
>> considering the preacher curl attachment that Powertec
>> offers.
>
> Preacher curls are classic elbow-killers. I wouldn't pay a

With a straight bar perhaps.

> plugged nickel for a preacher attachment. I'd suggest getting an
> Olympic EZ curl bar, instead (which can also be used for triceps
> extensions.

I use a curl bar. No elbow problems here.

--

"The central problem with the concept of the 'Axis of Evil' is that it
involves an assumption that the US is the 'fulcrum of virtue'."

Wayne S. Hill
February 17th 04, 04:49 PM
DRS wrote:

> Wayne S. Hill > wrote
>> bob wrote:
>>
>>> I still use free weights for curls, however, i am
>>> considering the preacher curl attachment that Powertec
>>> offers.
>>
>> Preacher curls are classic elbow-killers. I wouldn't pay a
>
> With a straight bar perhaps.
>
>> plugged nickel for a preacher attachment. I'd suggest
>> getting an Olympic EZ curl bar, instead (which can also be
>> used for triceps extensions.
>
> I use a curl bar. No elbow problems here.

That wouldn't help 95% of people who have elbow problems with
preachers.

--
-Wayne

DRS
February 17th 04, 04:54 PM
Wayne S. Hill > wrote in message

[...]

> That wouldn't help 95% of people who have elbow problems with
> preachers.

95%? Cite, please. I don't believe it for a moment. I use the curl bar
precisely because it lets me angle my forearms properly.

--

"The central problem with the concept of the 'Axis of Evil' is that it
involves an assumption that the US is the 'fulcrum of virtue'."
Bob Hawke, former Prime Minister of Australia

Wayne S. Hill
February 17th 04, 06:14 PM
DRS wrote:

> Wayne S. Hill > wrote
>
> [...]
>
>> That wouldn't help 95% of people who have elbow problems
>> with preachers.
>
> 95%? Cite, please. I don't believe it for a moment. I use
> the curl bar precisely because it lets me angle my forearms
> properly.

I made up the 95%, but believe it's probably roughly right. The
main reason preachers are so problematic is the application of
near-max tension with the wrists extended. Reducing supination
slightly with an EZ curl bar will help only slightly.

--
-Wayne

Kenn Lynch
February 18th 04, 06:42 PM
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 00:25:40 -0800, "bob" > wrote:

>I have only had it for a few days now, but I love it. I know hardcore
>lifters would never even look at this type of equipment, but for an average
>guy like me it is perfect. I bought mine used on ebay based on the positive
>reviews in the same articles you referenced. Here are my additional
>positive comments:
>
>= whisper quiet and smooth as silk (leverage component as well as pulley
>systems)
>= very sturdy and strong
>= very natural motion in the bench press (for me anyway)
>= extremely small footprint. this takes up less space than i had planned
>for. fits nicely in a corner when the bench is swung out, which, by the
>way, takes about 2 seconds.
>
>I still use free weights for curls, however, i am considering the preacher
>curl attachment that Powertec offers. It seems the only thing these guys
>didn't think of was a way to promote their product. Their official website
>has less information than i found on independent sights. I am still
>learning how to adjust the bench for inclines, declines, etc. I'd be
>interested to hear comments from other users.

Bob
Thanks very much for replying
(incredible you are the only person in six that's actually on the
original topic) I hope you get this follow up.

Wonder if you can answer a few other specific questions?

You already said the bench swings to the side easily/quickly
that's great news and was a concern for me. I'm mostly interested in
the WB-LS because of the added ability to do safer squatting without a
cage. (currently using rack/stands but space restrictions make it very
awkward and dangerous)

Will the bench swing 90 degs to either/both sides?, I'm concerned I
may only have room for movement to one side (and as far as I can tell
its only squats and possibly dips that you would ever move the bench
at a right angle anyway?)

The other concern I had was the actual floor space footprint of the
unit? while the advertised size (with bench extended I assume)
is stated as L =77' W=49' HT=49' but it appears the way the lat
pull-down functions, a lever extends out further to the rear as the
weights are raised? (adding required length/floorspace?)

It would be extremely helpful if you could tell me
the actual worst case length and width with the bench extended and
at a right angle. One other really useful measurement would be the
bench height from the floor when it's level.

Sorry to be such a PIA but most the sales reps couldn't tell me
anything very useful, And once it's shipped and assembled it's my
problem.

One ad states that the lat attachment provides upper AND Lower
pulley exercises, can you clarify if there actually is a lower pulley
available it's not shown in the exercise chart I get the feeling the
lower pulley exercises are actually performed by pulling upward on
chest pull handles?

Is there a padded squat bar attachment? I've seen what appears to be a
bar with a pad in the center that apparently attaches to the
bench/shoulder press handles? (was in the TX Ebay sale) This would
appear to be much better as it would place the weight on the upper
shoulders/trap like a conventional rear squat rather than on the arms?
(hack style) Is this correct?

Is there a method of setting or adjusting the start height/position
of the squat or chest press lever in general? (other than the by bench
height or angle)

BTW I was watching two of these on ebay recently one was for pickup
only in Phoenix the other in Texas (any of these you? great deals)
and even an WB-MS in upper NY for $600! that was closer and very
tempting, but too big for my limited space and a bit too far from my
home in Maryland.

Best price I'm seeing for the WB-LS new is $600 delivered (so I keep
my eyes open on Ebay for a 2nd hand deal near me)

The one thing I was surprised that Powertec seems to have left off
the simple leg raise portion on the leg curl attachment? (I'm used to
doing a few sets of these as a squat warmup.)

Aside from that If I didn't have other equipment and several hundred
pounds of non-olympic plates I'd jump on the WB-LS without all this
hesitancy it appears to address a hell of a lot of issues especially
if you wish to lift heavy in a limited space. I wish you great success
and health with your purchase.

Finally I have a preacher curl on an other piece of equipment
and I seldom if ever use it. I do mostly compound movements and my
biceps get a decent workout from these but I do regular concentration
or hammer curls if I want to add isolated bicep work. So I'll probably
pass on this option (But I think I saw it for as low as $109? I can
try to find that if you are interested?) But since this is not just a
simple armrest but rather a new leverage device, it may also be a bit
of extra work adding and removing/storing it, especially if you use
the leg curl portion?

Well Hope your not sorry you responded to my post by now <GRIN>

Thanks Again
Kenn Lynch

BTW if you would prefer to talk rather than type
email me your number I'll call you or send you my number

I'm really close to a purchase and there are no Powertec dealers
anywhere within a 100 miles of the DC area (And I have yet to find a
helpful sales person)

bob
February 19th 04, 06:10 PM
Kenn, I will get out my tape measure and get back to you in a couple days.
i'll try to include some photos as well.

"Kenn Lynch" > wrote in message
> [...]
> biceps get a decent workout from these but I do regular concentration
> or hammer curls if I want to add isolated bicep work. So I'll probably
> pass on this option (But I think I saw it for as low as $109? I can
> try to find that if you are interested?) But since this is not just a
> simple armrest but rather a new leverage device, it may also be a bit
> of extra work adding and removing/storing it, especially if you use
> the leg curl portion?
>
> Well Hope your not sorry you responded to my post by now <GRIN>
>

> Thanks Again
> Kenn Lynch
>
> BTW if you would prefer to talk rather than type
> email me your number I'll call you or send you my number
>
> I'm really close to a purchase and there are no Powertec dealers
> anywhere within a 100 miles of the DC area (And I have yet to find a

Kenn Lynch
February 21st 04, 09:21 AM
Bob
Really appreciate that if you would
been trying to email you directly but can't get thru
(you gotta remove the spam_bam_ in my address)

Thanks Again
Kenn Lynch