PDA

View Full Version : chin-up/pull-up & rotator cuff

Robert B.
February 5th 04, 12:41 AM
I'm just about recovered from a rotator cuff strain and am anxious to restart my upper body
program in earnest. I'd like to do chin-ups (supinated grip) or pull-ups (pronated grip) but
seems like I heard somewhere that one or the other is the preferred exercise for those with
rotator cuff problems. Anyone know about this? Either way I'm going to start out real slow.
--

Steve Freides
February 5th 04, 01:39 AM
"Robert B." > wrote in message
.. .
> I'm just about recovered from a rotator cuff strain and am anxious to
restart my upper body
> program in earnest. I'd like to do chin-ups (supinated grip) or pull-ups
(pronated grip) but
> seems like I heard somewhere that one or the other is the preferred
exercise for those with
> rotator cuff problems. Anyone know about this? Either way I'm going to
start out real slow.

Everyone's different. The reading I've done suggests that more people have
problems with internal rotation of their shoulders than with outward. If
you're most people, you might find pullups more comfortable than chinups but
everyone's different and you really need to find what works for you. Many
people prefer a neutral grip where the palms face each other - that's
probably the position that's easier on the shoulders.

-S-

ff123
February 5th 04, 04:23 AM
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 18:41:22 -0600, Robert B. >
wrote:

>I'm just about recovered from a rotator cuff strain and am anxious to restart my upper body
>program in earnest. I'd like to do chin-ups (supinated grip) or pull-ups (pronated grip) but
>seems like I heard somewhere that one or the other is the preferred exercise for those with
>rotator cuff problems. Anyone know about this? Either way I'm going to start out real slow.

Experiment and find the version which suits you best. Supinated are
easier on my shoulders.

ff123

Mistress Krista
February 5th 04, 07:35 PM
"ff123" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 18:41:22 -0600, Robert B. >
> wrote:
>
> >I'm just about recovered from a rotator cuff strain and am anxious to
restart my upper body
> >program in earnest. I'd like to do chin-ups (supinated grip) or pull-ups
(pronated grip) but
> >seems like I heard somewhere that one or the other is the preferred
exercise for those with
> >rotator cuff problems. Anyone know about this? Either way I'm going to
start out real slow.

> Experiment and find the version which suits you best. Supinated are
> easier on my shoulders.

I've found the parallel grip (palms facing) to be most comfortable for
shoulders. Many pullup bars don't have the parallel attachment so if I want
a parallel grip, I just borrow the handle from the cable row and perch it
over the bar (so the "V" shape faces downward).

Krista

--
http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
http://www.trans-health.com

David
February 6th 04, 10:01 AM
"Robert B." > wrote in message
.. .
> I'm just about recovered from a rotator cuff strain and am anxious to
restart my upper body
> program in earnest. I'd like to do chin-ups (supinated grip) or pull-ups
(pronated grip) but
> seems like I heard somewhere that one or the other is the preferred
exercise for those with
> rotator cuff problems. Anyone know about this? Either way I'm going to
start out real slow.
> --
I've also had recent experience with rotator cuff problems - the only real
rule is not to do anything that aggravates the injury - stop if it causes
pain