PDA

View Full Version : Van Dam Lift

Steve Freides[_2_]
July 13th 09, 04:36 AM
For those of you unfamiliar with it, you can Google "Van Dam Lift" and
see Rob Van Dam doing it on YouTube.com. I've decided to do this one so
here is an admittedly lousy video - it was very sunny outside, but
you'll see me in a split on boxes 8" off the ground, and picking up a 50
lb. dumbbell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBZEfUqM2fI

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Steve Freides[_2_]
July 19th 09, 11:29 PM
"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> For those of you unfamiliar with it, you can Google "Van Dam Lift" and
> see Rob Van Dam doing it on YouTube.com. I've decided to do this one
> so here is an admittedly lousy video - it was very sunny outside, but
> you'll see me in a split on boxes 8" off the ground, and picking up a
> 50 lb. dumbbell.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBZEfUqM2fI

Take 2, one week later w/ no additional training on this lift during the
week. Up to 12" off the ground, up to 60 lbs. as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgsSDkzU3YA

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

David
July 20th 09, 10:33 AM
"Uncle bob" > wrote in message
On 20 jul, 00:29, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
> Take 2, one week later w/ no additional training on this lift during the
> week. Up to 12" off the ground, up to 60 lbs. as well.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgsSDkzU3YA

Okay.

You sit in a split and grab a DB, and lift it to to cheest height?

What is the point of doing this?

--
UC

the point is . . . .if you are skinny . . . it looks cute -

Jason Earl[_2_]
July 20th 09, 07:56 PM
"Steve Freides" > writes:

> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>> For those of you unfamiliar with it, you can Google "Van Dam Lift" and
>> see Rob Van Dam doing it on YouTube.com. I've decided to do this one
>> so here is an admittedly lousy video - it was very sunny outside, but
>> you'll see me in a split on boxes 8" off the ground, and picking up a
>> 50 lb. dumbbell.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBZEfUqM2fI
>
> Take 2, one week later w/ no additional training on this lift during the
> week. Up to 12" off the ground, up to 60 lbs. as well.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgsSDkzU3YA

The cheering in the background is interesting enough that my wife walked
over to see what the heck I was watching.

I think she expected to see naked people.

Seriously though, that is one crazy lift. I'm not entirely sure what to
say. I've always been flexible, and I've recently been working backup
to being able to do the splits, but you are just completely off the
charts. I've got to hand it to you for busting through limitations.

And I can't even imagine a crazier party trick.

So Congratulations on a fine lift.

Jason

By the way, when did you grow the mustache?

Steve Freides[_2_]
July 20th 09, 09:37 PM
"Jason Earl" > wrote in message
> "Steve Freides" > writes:
>
>> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>>> For those of you unfamiliar with it, you can Google "Van Dam Lift"
>>> and
>>> see Rob Van Dam doing it on YouTube.com. I've decided to do this one
>>> so here is an admittedly lousy video - it was very sunny outside,
>>> but
>>> you'll see me in a split on boxes 8" off the ground, and picking up
>>> 50 lb. dumbbell.
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBZEfUqM2fI
>>
>> Take 2, one week later w/ no additional training on this lift during
>> the
>> week. Up to 12" off the ground, up to 60 lbs. as well.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgsSDkzU3YA
>
> The cheering in the background is interesting enough that my wife
> walked
> over to see what the heck I was watching.
>
> I think she expected to see naked people.
>
> Seriously though, that is one crazy lift. I'm not entirely sure what
> say. I've always been flexible, and I've recently been working backup
> to being able to do the splits,

Pictures - we want pictures!

:)

> but you are just completely off the
> charts. I've got to hand it to you for busting through limitations.

The running joke in my family is that some people think outside the box
but I just look around and say, "What box?"

The first one behind me there is my son, the next two are friends of
his, all will be juniors in high school in the Fall. My wife took the
video. I usually take my own videos, just starting the camera with the
remote control, but for this lift, I decided I needed all the help I can
get. Getting me up onto those boxes required assistance, too - unlike
real benches, they'd move if someone didn't hold them in place.

> And I can't even imagine a crazier party trick.

It's in the USAWA rule book - I'm going to go and set some age/weight
group records in October, I hope.

> So Congratulations on a fine lift.

:)

> Jason
>
> By the way, when did you grow the mustache?

It's just that the light is funny - I've had a beard, including a
mustache, since January, but the mustache is thicker (some because
that's just the way my beard grows and some because I trimmed the beard
really short a week or two ago). It's just the way the video came out.
I had a beard from age 17 until age 34, didn't have it for most of the
next 20 years, but it's here to stay for a while. Maybe I just got
tired of people telling me I looked so young - the beard makes me look
at least closer to my actual age.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Jason Earl[_2_]
July 21st 09, 01:13 AM
"Steve Freides" > writes:

> "Jason Earl" > wrote in message

>>> Take 2, one week later w/ no additional training on this lift during
>>> the
>>> week. Up to 12" off the ground, up to 60 lbs. as well.
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgsSDkzU3YA
>>
>> The cheering in the background is interesting enough that my wife
>> walked over to see what the heck I was watching.
>>
>> I think she expected to see naked people.
>>
>> Seriously though, that is one crazy lift. I'm not entirely sure what
>> to say. I've always been flexible, and I've recently been working
>> backup to being able to do the splits,
>
> Pictures - we want pictures!
>
> :)

I am beginning to think that pictures would be a very good idea. For
one thing, I would really like to track my progress (or lack of it). I
also think that if I knew I was going to be sharing pictures that I
would perhaps push a bit harder.

I'll have to set something up.

>> but you are just completely off the charts. I've got to hand it to
>> you for busting through limitations.
>
> The running joke in my family is that some people think outside the box
> but I just look around and say, "What box?"

There are certainly some advantages to being unconventional. It is
clearly working for you when it comes to fitness. You have to respect
the fact that you seem to be quite good at actually achieving the goals
that you set for yourself.

It's easy to point at this particular lift and wonder why anyone would
want to be good at the VanDam lift, but the fact remains that you have
made real progress.

Sure, it's a bit of a party trick, but being flexible enough to do the
splits and strong enough to suspend yourself (and 60 lbs.) between two
benches certainly means something.

> The first one behind me there is my son, the next two are friends of
> his, all will be juniors in high school in the Fall. My wife took the
> video. I usually take my own videos, just starting the camera with
> the remote control, but for this lift, I decided I needed all the help
> I can get. Getting me up onto those boxes required assistance, too -
> unlike real benches, they'd move if someone didn't hold them in place.

It did appear to be quite a production.

>> And I can't even imagine a crazier party trick.
>
> It's in the USAWA rule book - I'm going to go and set some age/weight
> group records in October, I hope.

Well, if it's a competition lift then any criticisms of usefulness
automatically evaporate. Competition lifts don't have to be useful.

>> So Congratulations on a fine lift.
>
> :)
>
>> Jason
>>
>> By the way, when did you grow the mustache?
>
> It's just that the light is funny - I've had a beard, including a
> mustache, since January, but the mustache is thicker (some because
> that's just the way my beard grows and some because I trimmed the beard
> really short a week or two ago). It's just the way the video came out.
> I had a beard from age 17 until age 34, didn't have it for most of the
> next 20 years, but it's here to stay for a while. Maybe I just got
> tired of people telling me I looked so young - the beard makes me look
> at least closer to my actual age.

You do look ridiculously young without a beard. Most people consider
that sort of thing to be a compliment.

Jason

Steve Freides[_2_]
July 21st 09, 02:24 PM
"Jason Earl" > wrote

-snip-

> It's easy to point at this particular lift and wonder why anyone would
> want to be good at the VanDam lift, but the fact remains that you have
> made real progress.
>
> Sure, it's a bit of a party trick, but being flexible enough to do the
> splits and strong enough to suspend yourself (and 60 lbs.) between two
> benches certainly means something.
>
>> It's in the USAWA rule book - I'm going to go and set some age/weight
>> group records in October, I hope.
>
> Well, if it's a competition lift then any criticisms of usefulness
> automatically evaporate. Competition lifts don't have to be useful.

There is a history here - after I hurt my back, at some point along the
way, I realize that I felt better - read: my back hurt less - when I
stretched my hips and hamstrings. Not only that, but the effects were
long-lasting - making improvements in my flexibility made real
improvements in my comfort.

To this day, I cannot tell you just how good it makes my back feel when
I work on splits, and not even just the splits, but the Cossack
stretches and other things I do leading up to them. I couldn't explain
it but it's undeniable. The best way I could describe it is like some
sort of traction because, and this is a real "tip" when it comes to
splits, part of what makes them work is learning to pull up on your
spine, or rather to elongate your spine. Pavel has told me he sometimes
practiced splits in front of a power rack and pulled on a bar. I've
learned to do the same thing, e.g., I'll even sit in a full, bodyweight
squat in front of a kettlebell and hold onto the handle and somehow
lengthen my spine.

It's tough to explain, and no doubt someone here will treat the above as
an excuse to tell me that I cannot elongate my spine - that's their
problem. :)

Next to last but not least, the Van Dam Lift was added by the US AWA not
that long ago, and basically because Rob could do it. I don't think
that something is a competition lift means it's not a bit whacky - check
out the USAWA rule book. They're called "odd" lifts for a reason, you
know. :)

Last but most important, I look at all the splits work as strength
training. You'll find me practicing a full side split by getting into
the position, and then without hands, getting my butt up off the ground
and back down again a few times. It's the ability to produce/exert
force from these positions that makes them not just flexibility training

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com