PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ a 5x5 routine

JimV
February 12th 04, 02:16 AM
Hi

I've been recommended a 5x5 routine stength that run as follows:

Week 1

Mon. 5x5 with 85% of 5RM
Wed 5X5 with 85% of Mon. load
Fri 5x5 with 95% of Mon. load

week 2

Mon. 5x5 with 90% of 5RM
Wed 5X5 with 85% of Mon. load
Fri 5x5 with 95% of Mon. load

week 3

Mon. 5x5 with 95% of 5RM
Wed 5X5 with 85% of Mon. load
Fri 5x5 with 90% of Mon. load

week 4

Mon. 3-5x5 with 105% of 5RM
Wed 3-5X5 with 80% of Mon. load
Fri 3-5X5 with 90% of Mon. load

week 5

Mon. 1-3X2-4 with 85% of 5RM
Wed 1-3X2-4 with 85% of Mon. load
Fri 1-3X2-4 with 90% of Mon. load

I've been working two lifts , the bench and deadlift, on this schedule
w/ some
assistance work on Mon & Fri.

My first problem ocurred during week 3. I failed to do 5x5 at 95% of
my 5RM on the bench. (3x5, 1X4, 1X2). Looking forward
I see that week 4 has me doing 3-5 with 105% of my 5RM. I don't know
what kind of magic is
going to happen during week 3 but I don't think I can get muliple sets
of 5 at 105% of my 5RM.
Then week 5 has me cutting back sets and reps as well as decreasing
the weight. I don't quite understand why.

I would appreciate any suggestions
for improving this routine or suggestions for another protocol for
stength. (added muscularity is
fine although it is not my primary interest.). I did give Boris
Shieko's beginner routime a shot but I found the volume prohibitive in
that I would
always have to insert more rest days due to being burnt out from the
previous workout. I've been lifting for 8 years and I'm lost in trying
to make further progress.

I'm posting through google due to a techno-nightmare so TIA.

Jeff Finlayson
February 12th 04, 05:00 AM
JimV wrote:

> Hi
> I've been recommended a 5x5 routine stength that run as follows:
>
> Week 1
> Mon. 5x5 with 85% of 5RM
> Wed 5X5 with 85% of Mon. load
> Fri 5x5 with 95% of Mon. load
>
> week 2
> Mon. 5x5 with 90% of 5RM
> Wed 5X5 with 85% of Mon. load
> Fri 5x5 with 95% of Mon. load
>
> week 3
> Mon. 5x5 with 95% of 5RM
> Wed 5X5 with 85% of Mon. load
> Fri 5x5 with 90% of Mon. load
>
> week 4
> Mon. 3-5x5 with 105% of 5RM
> Wed 3-5X5 with 80% of Mon. load
> Fri 3-5X5 with 90% of Mon. load
>
> week 5
> Mon. 1-3X2-4 with 85% of 5RM
> Wed 1-3X2-4 with 85% of Mon. load
> Fri 1-3X2-4 with 90% of Mon. load
>
> I've been working two lifts , the bench and deadlift, on this schedule
> w/ some assistance work on Mon & Fri.
>
> My first problem ocurred during week 3. I failed to do 5x5 at 95% of
> my 5RM on the bench. (3x5, 1X4, 1X2). Looking forward I see that week 4
> has me doing 3-5 with 105% of my 5RM. I don't know what kind of magic
> is going to happen during week 3 but I don't think I can get muliple
> sets of 5 at 105% of my 5RM.
> Then week 5 has me cutting back sets and reps as well as decreasing
> the weight. I don't quite understand why.

Probably for recovery. Week 4 was very heavy.

> I would appreciate any suggestions for improving this routine or
> suggestions for another protocol for stength. (added muscularity is
> fine although it is not my primary interest.). I did give Boris
> Shieko's beginner routime a shot but I found the volume prohibitive in
> that I would always have to insert more rest days due to being burnt
> out from the previous workout. I've been lifting for 8 years and
> I'm lost in trying to make further progress.
>
> I'm posting through google due to a techno-nightmare so TIA.

This routine is expecting a 5+% increase in your 5RM after 3 weeks.
That's asking a lot for an experienced lifters. With 8 yrs of
lifting you certainty fall in that category.

Is this 5x5 routine 5 weeks long or does it continue?

Jeff out ...

JimV
February 12th 04, 05:27 PM
Jeff Finlayson > wrote in message >...
> JimV wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > I've been recommended a 5x5 routine stength that run as follows:
> >
> > Week 1
> > Mon. 5x5 with 85% of 5RM
> > Wed 5X5 with 85% of Mon. load
> > Fri 5x5 with 95% of Mon. load
> >
> > week 2
> > Mon. 5x5 with 90% of 5RM
> > Wed 5X5 with 85% of Mon. load
> > Fri 5x5 with 95% of Mon. load
> >
> > week 3
> > Mon. 5x5 with 95% of 5RM
> > Wed 5X5 with 85% of Mon. load
> > Fri 5x5 with 90% of Mon. load
> >
> > week 4
> > Mon. 3-5x5 with 105% of 5RM
> > Wed 3-5X5 with 80% of Mon. load
> > Fri 3-5X5 with 90% of Mon. load
> >
> > week 5
> > Mon. 1-3X2-4 with 85% of 5RM
> > Wed 1-3X2-4 with 85% of Mon. load
> > Fri 1-3X2-4 with 90% of Mon. load
> >
> > I've been working two lifts , the bench and deadlift, on this schedule
> > w/ some assistance work on Mon & Fri.
> >
> > My first problem ocurred during week 3. I failed to do 5x5 at 95% of
> > my 5RM on the bench. (3x5, 1X4, 1X2). Looking forward I see that week 4
> > has me doing 3-5 with 105% of my 5RM. I don't know what kind of magic
> > is going to happen during week 3 but I don't think I can get muliple
> > sets of 5 at 105% of my 5RM.
> > Then week 5 has me cutting back sets and reps as well as decreasing
> > the weight. I don't quite understand why.
>
> Probably for recovery. Week 4 was very heavy.
>
> > I would appreciate any suggestions for improving this routine or
> > suggestions for another protocol for stength. (added muscularity is
> > fine although it is not my primary interest.). I did give Boris
> > Shieko's beginner routime a shot but I found the volume prohibitive in
> > that I would always have to insert more rest days due to being burnt
> > out from the previous workout. I've been lifting for 8 years and
> > I'm lost in trying to make further progress.
> >
> > I'm posting through google due to a techno-nightmare so TIA.
>
> This routine is expecting a 5+% increase in your 5RM after 3 weeks.
> That's asking a lot for an experienced lifters. With 8 yrs of
> lifting you certainty fall in that category.
>
> Is this 5x5 routine 5 weeks long or does it continue?
>
> Jeff out ...

Hi Jeff, it is a just a 5 week program. After the new 5Rm is
established, I should begin at week 1 with the new (hopefully better)
5RM. Cheers ..