PDA

View Full Version : Can't lose weight -Need Help


CHAZMAN26
February 19th 04, 02:54 AM
I have recently started an exercise program with the intention of losing 30
pounds.
Here are my stats:
Male, 45 years old, 6' tall,
I weighed 230# when I started this routine 3 weeks ago.(working out at
Powerhouse Gym - very, very nice place)
My routine is: 35-40 min. of Cardio (treadmill) walking and running
Then 30-45 min. of weight training on all major muscle groups, lighter
weights - 10-15 reps
My problem is ............ I have gained 3 lbs. over the last 3 weeks. I am
aware that it is normal to gain weight at the beginning of a new regimen.
Could anyone please give me an idea of when I should start shedding weight
instead of gaining?
I have been busting my butt with nothing to show for it.
I have probably lost an inch in my waist though, doing a lot of ab
exercises.

I also read that drinking allot of water certainly will help, and I must say
I haven't been drinking all that much water, but will start to.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Chuck

The Queen of Cans and Jars
February 19th 04, 03:05 AM
CHAZMAN26 > wrote:

> I have recently started an exercise program with the intention of losing 30
> pounds.
> Here are my stats:
> Male, 45 years old, 6' tall,
> I weighed 230# when I started this routine 3 weeks ago.(working out at
> Powerhouse Gym - very, very nice place)
> My routine is: 35-40 min. of Cardio (treadmill) walking and running
> Then 30-45 min. of weight training on all major muscle groups, lighter
> weights - 10-15 reps
> My problem is ............ I have gained 3 lbs. over the last 3 weeks. I am
> aware that it is normal to gain weight at the beginning of a new regimen.
> Could anyone please give me an idea of when I should start shedding weight
> instead of gaining?
> I have been busting my butt with nothing to show for it.
> I have probably lost an inch in my waist though, doing a lot of ab
> exercises.
>
> I also read that drinking allot of water certainly will help, and I must say
> I haven't been drinking all that much water, but will start to.
>
> Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

i dunno ... this is kind of a radical suggestion, but ... have you
tried, you know, EATING LESS?

Peter Webb
February 19th 04, 03:56 AM
Cardio on its own is uesless for weight loss. The exercise just makes you
hungrier and you eat more (or drink more gatorade) with no net loss. It also
takes a lot of exercise to burn comparatively few calories.

Weight traing makes your muscles bigger; so you increase muscle mass, but
has no effect on fat levels.

So its not surprising that you are putting on weight.

The only effective way to lose weight is through dieting.

You have a couple of choices. You can explicitly try to count calories and
eat right. Or you can go Atkins and eat as much as you want from a very
limitted range of foods. I prefer the latter; try both and see which one
works better for you.





"CHAZMAN26" > wrote in message
...
> I have recently started an exercise program with the intention of losing
30
> pounds.
> Here are my stats:
> Male, 45 years old, 6' tall,
> I weighed 230# when I started this routine 3 weeks ago.(working out at
> Powerhouse Gym - very, very nice place)
> My routine is: 35-40 min. of Cardio (treadmill) walking and running
> Then 30-45 min. of weight training on all major muscle groups, lighter
> weights - 10-15 reps
> My problem is ............ I have gained 3 lbs. over the last 3 weeks. I
am
> aware that it is normal to gain weight at the beginning of a new regimen.
> Could anyone please give me an idea of when I should start shedding weight
> instead of gaining?
> I have been busting my butt with nothing to show for it.
> I have probably lost an inch in my waist though, doing a lot of ab
> exercises.
>
> I also read that drinking allot of water certainly will help, and I must
say
> I haven't been drinking all that much water, but will start to.
>
> Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Chuck
>
>

The Queen of Cans and Jars
February 19th 04, 04:48 AM
Peter Webb > wrote:

> You have a couple of choices. You can explicitly try to count calories and
> eat right. Or you can go Atkins and eat as much as you want from a very
> limitted range of foods.

yeah, eating as much as you want is a great way to lose weight.

DRS
February 19th 04, 12:44 PM
CHAZMAN26 > wrote in message

> I have recently started an exercise program with the intention of
> losing 30 pounds.
> Here are my stats:
> Male, 45 years old, 6' tall,
> I weighed 230# when I started this routine 3 weeks ago.(working out at
> Powerhouse Gym - very, very nice place)

> My routine is: 35-40 min. of Cardio (treadmill) walking and running
> Then 30-45 min. of weight training on all major muscle groups, lighter
> weights - 10-15 reps

Wrong! Cardio *after* weight training, never before, preferably on
alternate days.

> My problem is ............ I have gained 3 lbs. over the last 3
> weeks. I am aware that it is normal to gain weight at the beginning
> of a new regimen. Could anyone please give me an idea of when I
> should start shedding weight instead of gaining?

When you eat less.

> I have been busting my butt with nothing to show for it.
> I have probably lost an inch in my waist though, doing a lot of ab
> exercises.

Make your mind up. Have you lost an inch off your waist or do you have
nothing to show for your effort?

And that lost inch is not because you're doing ab exercises. If you have a
fair amount of gut fat then heavy ab work can push it further out as the abs
themselves thicken. That lost inch is because you're putting energy into
building muscle instead of into building fat.

--

"The central problem with the concept of the 'Axis of Evil' is that it
involves an assumption that the US is the 'fulcrum of virtue'."
Bob Hawke

Peter Webb
February 19th 04, 01:04 PM
"The Queen of Cans and Jars" > wrote in message
...
> Peter Webb > wrote:
>
> > You have a couple of choices. You can explicitly try to count calories
and
> > eat right. Or you can go Atkins and eat as much as you want from a very
> > limitted range of foods.
>
> yeah, eating as much as you want is a great way to lose weight.
>

Worked for me.

The Queen of Cans and Jars
February 19th 04, 02:37 PM
Peter Webb > wrote:

> "The Queen of Cans and Jars" > wrote:
> > Peter Webb > wrote:
> >
> > > You have a couple of choices. You can explicitly try to count calories
> > > and eat right. Or you can go Atkins and eat as much as you want from a
> > > very limitted range of foods.
> >
> > yeah, eating as much as you want is a great way to lose weight.
> >
>
> Worked for me.

you're such a unique and special snowflake that the laws of physics
don't apply to you? how nice that must be.

John Dongle
February 19th 04, 07:02 PM
(The Queen of Cans and Jars) wrote in message >...
> Peter Webb > wrote:
>
> > "The Queen of Cans and Jars" > wrote:
> > > Peter Webb > wrote:
> > >
> > > > You have a couple of choices. You can explicitly try to count calories
> > > > and eat right. Or you can go Atkins and eat as much as you want from a
> > > > very limitted range of foods.
> > >
> > > yeah, eating as much as you want is a great way to lose weight.
> > >
> >
> > Worked for me.
>
> you're such a unique and special snowflake that the laws of physics
> don't apply to you? how nice that must be.


Where can I get these snowflakes?

Peter Allen
February 19th 04, 07:24 PM
(The Queen of Cans and Jars) wrote in message >...
> Peter Webb > wrote:
>
> > "The Queen of Cans and Jars" > wrote:
> > > Peter Webb > wrote:
> > >
> > > > You have a couple of choices. You can explicitly try to count calories
> > > > and eat right. Or you can go Atkins and eat as much as you want from a
> > > > very limitted range of foods.
> > >
> > > yeah, eating as much as you want is a great way to lose weight.
> > >
> >
> > Worked for me.
>
> you're such a unique and special snowflake that the laws of physics
> don't apply to you? how nice that must be.

The idea's that if you eat that sort of stuff you simply don't want to
eat so much, though, isn't it.

I reckon you could lose weight pretty quickly if your diet was 'eat as
much Marmite as you want', for example.

Peter

Jimmy Neutron
February 19th 04, 08:35 PM
**** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****


"CHAZMAN26" > wrote in message
...
> I have recently started an exercise program with the intention of losing
30
> pounds.
> Here are my stats:
> Male, 45 years old, 6' tall,
> I weighed 230# when I started this routine 3 weeks ago.(working out at
> Powerhouse Gym - very, very nice place)
> My routine is: 35-40 min. of Cardio (treadmill) walking and running
> Then 30-45 min. of weight training on all major muscle groups, lighter
> weights - 10-15 reps
> My problem is ............ I have gained 3 lbs. over the last 3 weeks. I
am
> aware that it is normal to gain weight at the beginning of a new regimen.
> Could anyone please give me an idea of when I should start shedding weight
> instead of gaining?
> I have been busting my butt with nothing to show for it.
> I have probably lost an inch in my waist though, doing a lot of ab
> exercises.
>
> I also read that drinking allot of water certainly will help, and I must
say
> I haven't been drinking all that much water, but will start to.
>
> Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Chuck
>

"It's just not that difficult: create a caloric deficit by eating less
moving more or a combination of the two, repeat until ripped, dead or
clinically insane". - LM



My pic. http://www.eightballgrifter.com/gut.html Bulk or cut?





-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
*** Usenet.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! ***
http://www.usenet.com
Unlimited Download - 19 Seperate Servers - 90,000 groups - Uncensored
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The Queen of Cans and Jars
February 19th 04, 09:50 PM
John Dongle > wrote:

> (The Queen of Cans and Jars) wrote:
> > Peter Webb > wrote:
> > > "The Queen of Cans and Jars" > wrote:
> > > > Peter Webb > wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > You have a couple of choices. You can explicitly try to count calories
> > > > > and eat right. Or you can go Atkins and eat as much as you want from a
> > > > > very limitted range of foods.
> > > >
> > > > yeah, eating as much as you want is a great way to lose weight.
> > > >
> > >
> > > Worked for me.
> >
> > you're such a unique and special snowflake that the laws of physics
> > don't apply to you? how nice that must be.
>
>
> Where can I get these snowflakes?

i got yer snowflakes RIGHT HERE, pal.

The Queen of Cans and Jars
February 19th 04, 09:50 PM
Peter Allen > wrote:

> (The Queen of Cans and Jars) wrote:
> > Peter Webb > wrote:
> > > "The Queen of Cans and Jars" > wrote:
> > > > Peter Webb > wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > You have a couple of choices. You can explicitly try to count calories
> > > > > and eat right. Or you can go Atkins and eat as much as you want from a
> > > > > very limitted range of foods.
> > > >
> > > > yeah, eating as much as you want is a great way to lose weight.
> > > >
> > >
> > > Worked for me.
> >
> > you're such a unique and special snowflake that the laws of physics
> > don't apply to you? how nice that must be.
>
> The idea's that if you eat that sort of stuff you simply don't want to
> eat so much, though, isn't it.

yeah, and it works *just like that* for *everyone,* right?

Peter Webb
February 19th 04, 10:59 PM
"The Queen of Cans and Jars" > wrote in message
...
> Peter Webb > wrote:
>
> > "The Queen of Cans and Jars" > wrote:
> > > Peter Webb > wrote:
> > >
> > > > You have a couple of choices. You can explicitly try to count
calories
> > > > and eat right. Or you can go Atkins and eat as much as you want from
a
> > > > very limitted range of foods.
> > >
> > > yeah, eating as much as you want is a great way to lose weight.
> > >
> >
> > Worked for me.
>
> you're such a unique and special snowflake that the laws of physics
> don't apply to you? how nice that must be.

No, I don't think I am unique, or a special snowflake. Atkins works for lots
of people.

From my experience, eating very low quantities of carbohydrates suppresses
your appetite, so you eat much less. There is no hunger associated with the
reduced Calorie intake; I quite literally eat as much as I want whenever I
want. Its nothing to do with the boring range of foods - I quite happily
snack on cold roast lamb, meat, diet jelly with cream, and stuff like that.

Have you ever tried it?

geek_girl
February 19th 04, 11:42 PM
In > Peter Webb wrote:
>
> "The Queen of Cans and Jars" > wrote in message
> ...
>> Peter Webb > wrote:
>>
>> > "The Queen of Cans and Jars" > wrote:
>> > > Peter Webb > wrote:
>> > >
>> > > > You have a couple of choices. You can explicitly try to count
> calories
>> > > > and eat right. Or you can go Atkins and eat as much as you want
>> > > > from
> a
>> > > > very limitted range of foods.
>> > >
>> > > yeah, eating as much as you want is a great way to lose weight.
>> > >
>> >
>> > Worked for me.
>>
>> you're such a unique and special snowflake that the laws of physics
>> don't apply to you? how nice that must be.
>
> No, I don't think I am unique, or a special snowflake. Atkins works
> for lots of people.
>
> From my experience, eating very low quantities of carbohydrates
> suppresses your appetite, so you eat much less.

It suppresses *your* appetite. It doesn't do that for everyone. Standard
ketogenic diets suppress appetite and work well for some people under
some circumstances. They also don't do that for a lot of people. They
generally don't work very well for people who are relatively lean and
not insulin resistant, especially if they engage in intense exercise on
a regular basis. Since this is a weights newsgroup, that description
would apply to many of us here.

There are also people who are overfat and don't exercise who don't
experience the appetite suppression and still manage to overeat on
Atkins. A lot of people need to count calories and eat less than they
want to in order to lose weight.

> Have you ever tried it?

I have. Not Atkins per se, but a very low-carb diet. It worked very well
for a few months, but it doesn't work for me anymore. If I don't eat
enough carbs (at the very least 100 grams a day) I get insanely hungry,
I get very weak, and generally feel like crap.

Peter Webb
February 20th 04, 03:49 AM
"geek_girl" > wrote in message
...
> In > Peter Webb wrote:
> >
> > "The Queen of Cans and Jars" > wrote in message
> > ...
> >> Peter Webb > wrote:
> >>
> >> > "The Queen of Cans and Jars" > wrote:
> >> > > Peter Webb > wrote:
> >> > >
> >> > > > You have a couple of choices. You can explicitly try to count
> > calories
> >> > > > and eat right. Or you can go Atkins and eat as much as you want
> >> > > > from
> > a
> >> > > > very limitted range of foods.
> >> > >
> >> > > yeah, eating as much as you want is a great way to lose weight.
> >> > >
> >> >
> >> > Worked for me.
> >>
> >> you're such a unique and special snowflake that the laws of physics
> >> don't apply to you? how nice that must be.
> >
> > No, I don't think I am unique, or a special snowflake. Atkins works
> > for lots of people.
> >
> > From my experience, eating very low quantities of carbohydrates
> > suppresses your appetite, so you eat much less.
>
> It suppresses *your* appetite. It doesn't do that for everyone. Standard
> ketogenic diets suppress appetite and work well for some people under
> some circumstances. They also don't do that for a lot of people. They
> generally don't work very well for people who are relatively lean and
> not insulin resistant, especially if they engage in intense exercise on
> a regular basis. Since this is a weights newsgroup, that description
> would apply to many of us here.
>

Fair enough. My original post said "try both [calorie restricted and Atkins]
and see which works best for you" ... Queen of Cabs snipped that part.

My original post was also in response to somebody 6' tall and 230 pounds who
only started exercising 3 weeks ago ... I doubt they are relatively lean
with those stats, and "running or walking for 30 minutes" doesn't sound too
intense to me. I never pretended my advice was for everybody who reads mfw.

So I guess we agree so far.

> There are also people who are overfat and don't exercise who don't
> experience the appetite suppression and still manage to overeat on
> Atkins. A lot of people need to count calories and eat less than they
> want to in order to lose weight.

Yup. That's why I suggested trying both, rather than simply saying "do
Atkins".

>
> > Have you ever tried it?
>
> I have. Not Atkins per se, but a very low-carb diet. It worked very well
> for a few months, but it doesn't work for me anymore. If I don't eat
> enough carbs (at the very least 100 grams a day) I get insanely hungry,
> I get very weak, and generally feel like crap.

I bet the OP would love to have a diet that worked "very well" for even a
few months, given he has put on 3 pounds after 3 weeks of his existing
weight loss program.

You sound like a nice, reasonable person. What is it about low carb diets
that makes idiots like Queen of Cats react in such a poorly informed manner?
(Not your problem I guess).

geek_girl
February 20th 04, 04:31 AM
In > Peter Webb wrote:
>
> "geek_girl" > wrote in message
> ...
>> In > Peter Webb wrote:
>> >
>> > "The Queen of Cans and Jars" > wrote in
>> > message ...
>> >> Peter Webb > wrote:
>> >>
>> >> > "The Queen of Cans and Jars" > wrote:
>> >> > > Peter Webb > wrote:
>> >> > >
>> >> > > > You have a couple of choices. You can explicitly try to
>> >> > > > count
>> > calories
>> >> > > > and eat right. Or you can go Atkins and eat as much as you
>> >> > > > want from
>> > a
>> >> > > > very limitted range of foods.
>> >> > >
>> >> > > yeah, eating as much as you want is a great way to lose weight.
>> >> > >
>> >> >
>> >> > Worked for me.
>> >>
>> >> you're such a unique and special snowflake that the laws of
>> >> physics don't apply to you? how nice that must be.
>> >
>> > No, I don't think I am unique, or a special snowflake. Atkins works
>> > for lots of people.
>> >
>> > From my experience, eating very low quantities of carbohydrates
>> > suppresses your appetite, so you eat much less.
>>
>> It suppresses *your* appetite. It doesn't do that for everyone.
>> Standard ketogenic diets suppress appetite and work well for some
>> people under some circumstances. They also don't do that for a lot of
>> people. They generally don't work very well for people who are
>> relatively lean and not insulin resistant, especially if they engage
>> in intense exercise on a regular basis. Since this is a weights
>> newsgroup, that description would apply to many of us here.
>>
>
> Fair enough. My original post said "try both [calorie restricted and
> Atkins] and see which works best for you" ... Queen of Cabs snipped
> that part.

Ok, but if he tries Atkins first and then gains even more weight, he'll
start getting pretty discouraged. I would suggest counting calories,
even if he does decide to try low-carb.

> My original post was also in response to somebody 6' tall and 230
> pounds who only started exercising 3 weeks ago ... I doubt they are
> relatively lean with those stats, and "running or walking for 30
> minutes" doesn't sound too intense to me.

Not really. But my advice would also include increasing the intensity of
the exercise.

>>
>> > Have you ever tried it?
>>
>> I have. Not Atkins per se, but a very low-carb diet. It worked very
>> well for a few months, but it doesn't work for me anymore. If I don't
>> eat enough carbs (at the very least 100 grams a day) I get insanely
>> hungry, I get very weak, and generally feel like crap.
>
> I bet the OP would love to have a diet that worked "very well" for
> even a few months, given he has put on 3 pounds after 3 weeks of his
> existing weight loss program.

Sure, if it does work for him. He could do what I did, which is start
very low-carb and then adjust carbs (and calories) as needed.

> You sound like a nice, reasonable person.

Heh. Reasonable, I'll take.

> What is it about low carb
> diets that makes idiots like Queen of Cats react in such a poorly
> informed manner? (Not your problem I guess).

I don't think she's an idiot, and I don't think she has anything against
low-carb diets per se. There are a lot of people who claim that there's
some sort of magic to Atkins, and that they can eat ridiculous amounts
of calories and still lose weight. Most of them don't seem to understand
that they're experiencing appetite suppression, and that they're not
eating nearly as much as they think they are, and not nearly as much as
they did pre-Atkins. When you originally said that you could lose weight
eating as much as you wanted, you did give that impression. I don't
think you specified at first that you were aware that "as much as you
wanted" really wasn't that much. That's what she was reacting to.

End to World Poverty
February 20th 04, 05:57 AM
Hi

My suggestion. Reduce calories, increase protein plus healthy fats/
carbohydrates ratio, reduce aerobics and do Intense weight training
instead. If you have further questions, let me know.


Yellow mellow

*************************8
http://www.vihagra.com

Get Yours today!

"CHAZMAN26" > wrote in message >...
> I have recently started an exercise program with the intention of losing 30
> pounds.
> Here are my stats:
> Male, 45 years old, 6' tall,
> I weighed 230# when I started this routine 3 weeks ago.(working out at
> Powerhouse Gym - very, very nice place)
> My routine is: 35-40 min. of Cardio (treadmill) walking and running
> Then 30-45 min. of weight training on all major muscle groups, lighter
> weights - 10-15 reps
> My problem is ............ I have gained 3 lbs. over the last 3 weeks. I am
> aware that it is normal to gain weight at the beginning of a new regimen.
> Could anyone please give me an idea of when I should start shedding weight
> instead of gaining?
> I have been busting my butt with nothing to show for it.
> I have probably lost an inch in my waist though, doing a lot of ab
> exercises.
>
> I also read that drinking allot of water certainly will help, and I must say
> I haven't been drinking all that much water, but will start to.
>
> Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Chuck

Peter Allen
February 20th 04, 09:03 AM
(The Queen of Cans and Jars) wrote in message >...
> Peter Allen > wrote:
>
> > (The Queen of Cans and Jars) wrote:
> > > Peter Webb > wrote:
> > > > "The Queen of Cans and Jars" > wrote:
> > > > > Peter Webb > wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > > You have a couple of choices. You can explicitly try to count calories
> > > > > > and eat right. Or you can go Atkins and eat as much as you want from a
> > > > > > very limitted range of foods.
> > > > >
> > > > > yeah, eating as much as you want is a great way to lose weight.
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > Worked for me.
> > >
> > > you're such a unique and special snowflake that the laws of physics
> > > don't apply to you? how nice that must be.
> >
> > The idea's that if you eat that sort of stuff you simply don't want to
> > eat so much, though, isn't it.
>
> yeah, and it works *just like that* for *everyone,* right?

Well, either cease nitpicking, or go away and live on Marmite for the
next week, and come back and tell us how much you wanted to eat.

Peter

The Queen of Cans and Jars
February 20th 04, 02:31 PM
Peter Allen > wrote:

> (The Queen of Cans and Jars) wrote:
> > Peter Allen > wrote:
> > > (The Queen of Cans and Jars) wrote:
> > > > Peter Webb > wrote:
> > > > > "The Queen of Cans and Jars" > wrote:
> > > > > > Peter Webb > wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > > You have a couple of choices. You can explicitly try to count
> > > > > > > calories and eat right. Or you can go Atkins and eat as much
> > > > > > > as you want from a very limitted range of foods.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > yeah, eating as much as you want is a great way to lose weight.
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Worked for me.
> > > >
> > > > you're such a unique and special snowflake that the laws of physics
> > > > don't apply to you? how nice that must be.
> > >
> > > The idea's that if you eat that sort of stuff you simply don't want to
> > > eat so much, though, isn't it.
> >
> > yeah, and it works *just like that* for *everyone,* right?
>
> Well, either cease nitpicking, or go away and live on Marmite for the
> next week, and come back and tell us how much you wanted to eat.

you're not very bright, Peter. and you're not very funny, either.

The Queen of Cans and Jars
February 20th 04, 02:31 PM
Peter Webb > wrote:

> "The Queen of Cans and Jars" > wrote:
> > Peter Webb > wrote:
> > > "The Queen of Cans and Jars" > wrote:
> > > > Peter Webb > wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > You have a couple of choices. You can explicitly try to count
> > > > > calories and eat right. Or you can go Atkins and eat as much as
> > > > > you want from a very limitted range of foods.
> > > >
> > > > yeah, eating as much as you want is a great way to lose weight.
> > > >
> > >
> > > Worked for me.
> >
> > you're such a unique and special snowflake that the laws of physics
> > don't apply to you? how nice that must be.
>
> No, I don't think I am unique, or a special snowflake. Atkins works for lots
> of people.

and when it does, it's because they consume fewer calories than they
expend. no magic involved.

> From my experience, eating very low quantities of carbohydrates suppresses
> your appetite, so you eat much less. There is no hunger associated with the
> reduced Calorie intake; I quite literally eat as much as I want whenever I
> want. Its nothing to do with the boring range of foods - I quite happily
> snack on cold roast lamb, meat, diet jelly with cream, and stuff like that.
>
> Have you ever tried it?

yep, i sure have. i had no trouble whatsoever consuming far too much
food on atkins. not everyone experiences that suppressed appetite.
there are people whose brain & body don't get together and agree that
they've had enough and it's time to stop, and there are people for whom
reduced carb intake doesn't do a damn thing to change that.

not to mention, atkins himself didn't tell people to "eat all you want."
you're supposed to eat until you're sated - there's a world of
difference between those two things. you're spreading dangerous and
stupid misinformation. try thinking before you post.

William Brink
February 20th 04, 03:18 PM
In article >,
"CHAZMAN26" > wrote:

> I have recently started an exercise program with the intention of losing 30
> pounds.
> Here are my stats:
> Male, 45 years old, 6' tall,
> I weighed 230# when I started this routine 3 weeks ago.(working out at
> Powerhouse Gym - very, very nice place)
> My routine is: 35-40 min. of Cardio (treadmill) walking and running
> Then 30-45 min. of weight training on all major muscle groups, lighter
> weights - 10-15 reps
> My problem is ............ I have gained 3 lbs. over the last 3 weeks. I am
> aware that it is normal to gain weight at the beginning of a new regimen.
> Could anyone please give me an idea of when I should start shedding weight
> instead of gaining?

Soon as you start eating less calories then you are using over a long
enough period of time.

> I have been busting my butt with nothing to show for it.
> I have probably lost an inch in my waist though, doing a lot of ab
> exercises.

Then what does that tell you?

>
> I also read that drinking allot of water certainly will help, and I must say
> I haven't been drinking all that much water, but will start to.
>
> Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Count calories, get enough protein, get enough fat of the right types.
Consider some supps that work.

>
> Thank you,
>
> Chuck
>
>

--
Will Brink

http://www.brinkzone.com/
http://musclebuildingnutrition.com/
http://www.aboutsupplements.com/

Boyd Myers
February 20th 04, 06:24 PM
I assume you mean that you want to lose FAT.
Nonetheless, you HAVE to create a caloric deficit, but not by
starvation!
It's all about speeding your metabolism up by gaining muscle mass,
eating 5-6 times a day, and eating the RIGHT foods at the RIGHT time.
Find out how many calories you burn per day and go from there. If you
need any help with this info, let me know, it's not tough to figure
out, but not too many people seem to know how to do it. Everyone is
different, so what works for me, may not work for you. But I do have
a lot of experience with a lot of different clients, so I should be
able to assist you.
Take care and best wishes,
Boyd Myers
http://the-personal-trainer.com

William Brink > wrote in message >...
> In article >,
> "CHAZMAN26" > wrote:
>
> > I have recently started an exercise program with the intention of losing 30
> > pounds.
> > Here are my stats:
> > Male, 45 years old, 6' tall,
> > I weighed 230# when I started this routine 3 weeks ago.(working out at
> > Powerhouse Gym - very, very nice place)
> > My routine is: 35-40 min. of Cardio (treadmill) walking and running
> > Then 30-45 min. of weight training on all major muscle groups, lighter
> > weights - 10-15 reps
> > My problem is ............ I have gained 3 lbs. over the last 3 weeks. I am
> > aware that it is normal to gain weight at the beginning of a new regimen.
> > Could anyone please give me an idea of when I should start shedding weight
> > instead of gaining?
>
> Soon as you start eating less calories then you are using over a long
> enough period of time.
>
> > I have been busting my butt with nothing to show for it.
> > I have probably lost an inch in my waist though, doing a lot of ab
> > exercises.
>
> Then what does that tell you?
>
> >
> > I also read that drinking allot of water certainly will help, and I must say
> > I haven't been drinking all that much water, but will start to.
> >
> > Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Count calories, get enough protein, get enough fat of the right types.
> Consider some supps that work.
>
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Chuck
> >
> >

Peter Allen
February 20th 04, 11:12 PM
(The Queen of Cans and Jars) wrote in message >...
> you're not very bright, Peter. and you're not very funny, either.

Brilliant comeback there.

First to use ad hominem loses the argument is the usual rule, yes?

Peter

The Queen of Cans and Jars
February 21st 04, 01:20 AM
Peter Allen > wrote:

> (The Queen of Cans and Jars) wrote:
>
> > you're not very bright, Peter. and you're not very funny, either.
>
> Brilliant comeback there.
>
> First to use ad hominem loses the argument is the usual rule, yes?

this is my game: new rules, no rules.

End to World Poverty
February 21st 04, 05:31 AM
How do yo figure out how many caloies you burn in a a day?




******************************************
http://www.vihagra.com

Blue solution!