PDA

View Full Version : Gain muslce... lose weight?

Ash1432
February 20th 04, 04:50 AM
Is there any good way to do both? Like should I eat low fat and take a
lot of supplements or what? I'm a beginner to weight lifting.

Josh
February 20th 04, 08:20 AM
Not really. But if your new to weight lifting, then you have the best
advantage of accomplishing both at the same time. Eat a well balanced,
low-fat diet. And do cardio and a beginners lifting routine.

Everyone differs, but for me running/cardio six times a week, and lifting 4
times a week has always helped me gain some muscle and shed the pounds.

Try this:

Cardio : Monday - Saturday
Morning, afternoon, or whenever. The time doesn't matter nearly as much as
that your actually keeping disciplined and doing it each of the days

Lifting : Monday, Wednesday, Friday
Monday - Upper Body
Wednesday - Lower Body
Friday - A mix of both

Go here for the best lifting advice and routines:
http://www.exrx.net/

This is the page for beginners:
http://www.exrx.net/Beginning.html

Josh

"Ash1432" > wrote in message
om...
> Is there any good way to do both? Like should I eat low fat and take a
> lot of supplements or what? I'm a beginner to weight lifting.

Mark Downing
February 20th 04, 04:27 PM
"Josh" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s02...
> Not really. But if your new to weight lifting, then you have the best
> advantage of accomplishing both at the same time. Eat a well balanced,
> low-fat diet. And do cardio and a beginners lifting routine.
>
> Everyone differs, but for me running/cardio six times a week, and lifting
4
> times a week has always helped me gain some muscle and shed the pounds.
>
> Try this:
>
> Cardio : Monday - Saturday
> Morning, afternoon, or whenever. The time doesn't matter nearly as much
as
> that your actually keeping disciplined and doing it each of the days

I read about a study recently that seems to indicate that cardio doesn't
influence weight loss much at all...

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/articles/aerobicexercise.htm

"A study completed at Appalachian State University also shows that aerobic
exercise has little effect on body composition over a 12-week period [7]."

I do cardio myself, but more for the health benefits than the weight loss.

Ash1432
February 20th 04, 05:54 PM
Thanks, I'll try that. Before I tried gaining muslce and losing waite
by using diet pills and my muscles were so weak, I'm gonna just eat
normal and try to lose enough calories with cardio to lose a little
weight.

Boyd Myers
February 20th 04, 06:19 PM
Everyone is different. I'm assuming you mean gain muscle and lose
fat.
It is possible. It's a little tough, but possible. In a nutshell,
gaining muscle will increase your BMR (basal metabolic rate) and will
enable your body to mobilize fat at a higher rate. I've found that
zig-zag dieting is the best way, for both me and a great number of my
clients with the same goals in mind.
Let me know if I can help you a little more. Of course, I'd have to
know a whole lot more about you, your lifestyle, and your current
physical condition.
Take care and best wishes,
Dr. Boyd Myers, CFT
http://the-personal-trainer.com

"Josh" > wrote in message news:<[email protected]_s02>...
> Not really. But if your new to weight lifting, then you have the best
> advantage of accomplishing both at the same time. Eat a well balanced,
> low-fat diet. And do cardio and a beginners lifting routine.
>
> Everyone differs, but for me running/cardio six times a week, and lifting 4
> times a week has always helped me gain some muscle and shed the pounds.
>
> Try this:
>
> Cardio : Monday - Saturday
> Morning, afternoon, or whenever. The time doesn't matter nearly as much as
> that your actually keeping disciplined and doing it each of the days
>
> Lifting : Monday, Wednesday, Friday
> Monday - Upper Body
> Wednesday - Lower Body
> Friday - A mix of both
>
> Go here for the best lifting advice and routines:
> http://www.exrx.net/
>
> This is the page for beginners:
> http://www.exrx.net/Beginning.html
>

> Josh
>
> "Ash1432" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Is there any good way to do both? Like should I eat low fat and take a
> > lot of supplements or what? I'm a beginner to weight lifting.

Hoff
February 20th 04, 09:37 PM
"Boyd Myers" > wrote in message
om...
> Everyone is different. I'm assuming you mean gain muscle and lose
> fat.
> It is possible. It's a little tough, but possible. In a nutshell,
> gaining muscle will increase your BMR (basal metabolic rate) and will
> enable your body to mobilize fat at a higher rate. I've found that
> zig-zag dieting is the best way, for both me and a great number of my
> clients with the same goals in mind.
> Let me know if I can help you a little more. Of course, I'd have to
> know a whole lot more about you, your lifestyle, and your current
> physical condition.
> Take care and best wishes,
> Dr. Boyd Myers, CFT
> http://thepersonaltrainer.com

Wow! Now I'm *really* impressed. A personal trainer AND a doctor!

I know you must be very busy, but I hope you find the time to answer my
questions in the other thread.

Thanks in advance.

Hoff

> "Josh" > wrote in message
news:<[email protected]_s02>...
> > Not really. But if your new to weight lifting, then you have the best
> > advantage of accomplishing both at the same time. Eat a well balanced,
> > low-fat diet. And do cardio and a beginners lifting routine.
> >
> > Everyone differs, but for me running/cardio six times a week, and
lifting 4
> > times a week has always helped me gain some muscle and shed the pounds.
> >
> > Try this:
> >
> > Cardio : Monday - Saturday
> > Morning, afternoon, or whenever. The time doesn't matter nearly as much
as
> > that your actually keeping disciplined and doing it each of the days
> >
> > Lifting : Monday, Wednesday, Friday
> > Monday - Upper Body
> > Wednesday - Lower Body
> > Friday - A mix of both
> >
> > Go here for the best lifting advice and routines:
> > http://www.exrx.net/
> >
> > This is the page for beginners:
> > http://www.exrx.net/Beginning.html
> >

> > Josh
> >
> > "Ash1432" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Is there any good way to do both? Like should I eat low fat and take a
> > > lot of supplements or what? I'm a beginner to weight lifting.

Wolfgang
February 20th 04, 10:27 PM
On 19 Feb 2004 20:50:01 -0800, (Ash1432)
wrote:

>Is there any good way to do both? Like should I eat low fat and take a
>lot of supplements or what? I'm a beginner to weight lifting.

I went from 258 to 224 in 5 months, which gives about 1.5 lb/week. I'm
5'9" and 28 years old. I chose to lose weight slowly but also to gain
some muscle mass (both at the same time).

I started working out 3 times per week, doing full-body muscular
training and cardio, and watching a little more what I eat (I think I
eat pretty well, I cut back on the sodas and sugars but I already eat
veggies, fish, etc. Oh and I cut back on the red meat also).

I feel very good, i've been buying new pants and new belts, and i've
been enjoying looking my bigger biceps and forearms. I can actually
see the big veins that I never really saw before (when I do hammer
curls, I watch the back of my forearms and count the number of veins I
see he he).

I use protein powders after my workouts, and I use Lean System 7 in
the morning and before my training (2 caplets). That's about it!

Good luck, make sure uuo like your gym and the people there.

Wolf

Josh
February 21st 04, 01:04 AM
Good call Ash, keep the diet pills away. The very first time I started
lifting, I used Xenadrine (with the ma-haung (ephedra)). I loved it for
cardio, but it made me antsy. I didn't have enough patience to lift, my
mind was racing to much.

Plus it's bad for your heart, even the new ephedra-free ones. These are
instead packed full of caffeine and green tea extract, and they pack almost
the same punch.

Keep us up to date on how your doing!

"Ash1432" > wrote in message
om...
> Thanks, I'll try that. Before I tried gaining muslce and losing waite
> by using diet pills and my muscles were so weak, I'm gonna just eat
> normal and try to lose enough calories with cardio to lose a little
> weight.

Jake
February 21st 04, 05:31 AM
(Ash1432) wrote in message >...
> Is there any good way to do both? Like should I eat low fat and take a
> lot of supplements or what? I'm a beginner to weight lifting.

I strongly disagree with almost all the other reccomendations in this
thread.

check out this community's FAQ for a little bit more solid
information.

As a newbie, you can gain muscle and lose fat, but don't count on it
happening forever. After a while if you want to do them both you'll
have to do one at a time (eating a lot to gain muscle, eating less to
lose fat)

here are some things that were helpful to me to RESEARCH
-caloric intake vs expenditure and how it affects fat loss and muscle
gain

-carbohydrates and their glycemic index

-the different between saturated fats and unsaturated fats.

-which foods are good protein sources

Wayne S. Hill
February 21st 04, 04:31 PM
Josh wrote:

> Good call Ash, keep the diet pills away. The very first
> time I started lifting, I used Xenadrine (with the ma-haung
> (ephedra)). I loved it for cardio, but it made me antsy. I
> didn't have enough patience to lift, my mind was racing to
> much.

So, since you reacted badly to ephedra, everybody would.

> Plus it's bad for your heart, even the new ephedra-free
> ones. These are instead packed full of caffeine and green
> tea extract, and they pack almost the same punch.
>
> Keep us up to date on how your doing!

Will you be here all week?

--
-Wayne

gps
February 21st 04, 05:09 PM
Hoff wrote:

> "Boyd Myers" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Everyone is different. I'm assuming you mean gain muscle and lose
> > fat.
> > It is possible. It's a little tough, but possible. In a nutshell,
> > gaining muscle will increase your BMR (basal metabolic rate) and will
> > enable your body to mobilize fat at a higher rate. I've found that
> > zig-zag dieting is the best way, for both me and a great number of my
> > clients with the same goals in mind.
> > Let me know if I can help you a little more. Of course, I'd have to
> > know a whole lot more about you, your lifestyle, and your current
> > physical condition.
> > Take care and best wishes,
> > Dr. Boyd Myers, CFT
> > http://thepersonaltrainer.com
> >

> Wow! Now I'm *really* impressed. A personal trainer AND a doctor!
>
> I know you must be very busy, but I hope you find the time to answer my
> questions in the other thread.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Hoff

I think this is the fastest doctorate I've ever seen. Oddly there is no
mention of it on his site.
ps

Wayne S. Hill
February 21st 04, 06:25 PM
gps wrote:
> Hoff wrote:
>> "Boyd Myers" > wrote...
>>
>> > Take care and best wishes,
>> > Dr. Boyd Myers, CFT http://thepersonaltrainer.com
>>
>> Wow! Now I'm *really* impressed. A personal trainer AND a
>> doctor!
>>
>> I know you must be very busy, but I hope you find the time
>> to answer my questions in the other thread.
>
> I think this is the fastest doctorate I've ever seen. Oddly
> there is no mention of it on his site.
> ps

Oddly, I believe the link to his resume is now missing. As I
recall, it didn't mention the attainment of a bachelors degree,
or of any advanced course of study. Odd.

--
-Wayne

Josh
February 23rd 04, 06:23 AM
Wayne,

I never said everybody would react the same as myself, I was merely stating
my experience with it.

And yes, I will be here all week. :)

Josh

"Wayne S. Hill" > wrote in message
> Josh wrote:
>
> > Good call Ash, keep the diet pills away. The very first
> > time I started lifting, I used Xenadrine (with the ma-haung
> > (ephedra)). I loved it for cardio, but it made me antsy. I
> > didn't have enough patience to lift, my mind was racing to
> > much.
>
> So, since you reacted badly to ephedra, everybody would.
>
> > Plus it's bad for your heart, even the new ephedra-free
> > ones. These are instead packed full of caffeine and green
> > tea extract, and they pack almost the same punch.
> >
> > Keep us up to date on how your doing!
>
> Will you be here all week?
>
> --
> -Wayne

Wayne S. Hill
February 23rd 04, 02:12 PM
Josh wrote:

> I never said everybody would react the same as myself, I was
> merely stating my experience with it.

Ah, but you said, "Plus, it's bad for your heart, even the new
ephedra-free ones."

This is simply false, for the vast majority of people.

> And yes, I will be here all week. :)

Then be prepared to back up what you say.

--
-Wayne

Josh
February 24th 04, 02:47 AM
Wayne,

I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with you, all I was intending to
do was offer my advice to Ash.

You are right, I see now I did imply that those type of supplements were bad
for the heart, and further more did nothing to back it up, other then
stating that my experience with them was the status quo.

Josh

"Wayne S. Hill" > wrote in message
> Josh wrote:
>
> > I never said everybody would react the same as myself, I was
> > merely stating my experience with it.
>
> Ah, but you said, "Plus, it's bad for your heart, even the new
> ephedra-free ones."
>
> This is simply false, for the vast majority of people.
>
> > And yes, I will be here all week. :)
>
> Then be prepared to back up what you say.
>
> --
> -Wayne

Wayne S. Hill
February 24th 04, 03:45 AM
Josh wrote:

> Wayne,
>
> I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with you, all I
> was intending to do was offer my advice to Ash.
>
> You are right, I see now I did imply that those type of
> supplements were bad for the heart, and further more did
> nothing to back it up, other then stating that my experience
> with them was the status quo.

That's fine. Stick around.

The truth is that the ACTUAL health risks associated with the use
of ephedra/ephedrine supplements are incredibly low (the FDA's
hyperbole notwithstanding). Some people's hearts are bothered by
them (just as many more, often different, people's hearts are
bothered by Sudafed), so these people shouldn't use them.

--
-Wayne

Ash1432
February 25th 04, 04:07 AM
Yes I mean fat, I don't care much for "weight".

I might try to lose weight first then gain muscle, I only have 15-20
pounds to lose. And losing that weight will probably make me feel more
energetic and more likely to stick with working out.

bc
February 25th 04, 07:27 PM
(Boyd Myers) wrote in message >...
> Everyone is different. I'm assuming you mean gain muscle and lose
> fat.
> It is possible. It's a little tough, but possible. In a nutshell,
> gaining muscle will increase your BMR (basal metabolic rate) and will
> enable your body to mobilize fat at a higher rate.

That increase in bmr has been recently discussed here. The result is
around 5 to 7 cals per lb of muscle per day. Not a huge increase.
Besides, that has nothing to do with "mobilizing" fat anyway, just
burning calories.

> I've found that
> zig-zag dieting is the best way, for both me and a great number of my
> clients with the same goals in mind.

So, wouldn't zig-zag dieting effectively mean NOT gaining muscle and
losing fat at the same time?