PDA

View Full Version : Medium ROP 2010-08-11

Jason Earl[_2_]
August 12th 10, 06:53 AM
I did not get to my workout until late, but it went well. Steve was
right, I was capable of far more presses than I had been doing.

* DONE Medium ROP <2010-08-11 Wed>
CLOSED: [2010-08-11 Wed 22:57]
- CLOSING NOTE [2010-08-11 Wed 22:57] \\
Finished.
** Plan
- Clean and Press (1-2-3-4) x 5
- Medium Swings for (2 dice) minutes 70-80% effort.
** Actual
- Clean and Press (1-2-3-4) x 5 (50 reps per arm) time 34:57.
- Medium Swings for 2 minutes 40 swings.
** Notes
It was a good thing that I rolled a 2 (thank you Emacs) because by
the time I was done with cleans and presses I was pretty done. I had
played basketball for a hour and a half with the scouts before
working out, but 100 cleans and presses would have wiped me out no
matter how fresh I might have been. My hands felt great, and my grip
finally outlasted my lungs.

I am not sure what I am going to do for my variety day. I might just
go for a walk.

Jim Janney[_2_]
August 12th 10, 05:44 PM
Jason Earl > writes:

> I did not get to my workout until late, but it went well. Steve was
> right, I was capable of far more presses than I had been doing.
>
> * DONE Medium ROP <2010-08-11 Wed>
> CLOSED: [2010-08-11 Wed 22:57]
> - CLOSING NOTE [2010-08-11 Wed 22:57] \\
> Finished.
> ** Plan
> - Clean and Press (1-2-3-4) x 5
> - Medium Swings for (2 dice) minutes 70-80% effort.
> ** Actual
> - Clean and Press (1-2-3-4) x 5 (50 reps per arm) time 34:57.
> - Medium Swings for 2 minutes 40 swings.
> ** Notes
> It was a good thing that I rolled a 2 (thank you Emacs) because by
> the time I was done with cleans and presses I was pretty done. I had
> played basketball for a hour and a half with the scouts before
> working out, but 100 cleans and presses would have wiped me out no
> matter how fresh I might have been. My hands felt great, and my grip
> finally outlasted my lungs.
>
> I am not sure what I am going to do for my variety day. I might just
> go for a walk.

Windmills are interesting, and so are goblet squats. Or snatch a bell
overhead and then try to squat. Play around and try things, just
don't work too hard.

--
Jim Janney

Jason Earl[_2_]
August 12th 10, 07:53 PM
On Thu, Aug 12 2010, Jim Janney wrote:

> Jason Earl > writes:
>
>> I did not get to my workout until late, but it went well. Steve was
>> right, I was capable of far more presses than I had been doing.
>>
>> * DONE Medium ROP <2010-08-11 Wed>
>> CLOSED: [2010-08-11 Wed 22:57]
>> - CLOSING NOTE [2010-08-11 Wed 22:57] \\
>> Finished.
>> ** Plan
>> - Clean and Press (1-2-3-4) x 5
>> - Medium Swings for (2 dice) minutes 70-80% effort.
>> ** Actual
>> - Clean and Press (1-2-3-4) x 5 (50 reps per arm) time 34:57.
>> - Medium Swings for 2 minutes 40 swings.
>> ** Notes
>> It was a good thing that I rolled a 2 (thank you Emacs) because by
>> the time I was done with cleans and presses I was pretty done. I had
>> played basketball for a hour and a half with the scouts before
>> working out, but 100 cleans and presses would have wiped me out no
>> matter how fresh I might have been. My hands felt great, and my grip
>> finally outlasted my lungs.
>>
>> I am not sure what I am going to do for my variety day. I might just
>> go for a walk.
>
> Windmills are interesting, and so are goblet squats. Or snatch a bell
> overhead and then try to squat. Play around and try things, just
> don't work too hard.

I haven't done overhead squats or windmills in a while, or halos for
that matter.

Thanks for the advice.

Jason

Steve Freides[_2_]
August 14th 10, 04:34 PM
Jason Earl wrote:

> I did not get to my workout until late, but it went well. Steve was
> right, I was capable of far more presses than I had been doing.

Jason, a suggestion - start a thread, and keep replying to it rather
than start a new one. Use one thread per week, or one thread per
workout cycle, or whatever makes sense to you. I'm not suggesting this
because I mind more threads, only because I'd actually like to follow
what you're doing, and that would be much easier if I could just look
over all the messages in a single thread rather than hop around from the

Another way to go about this, one that's been tried here and never
really caught on although it _has_ caught on in the running newsgroup,
is to make yourself the keeper of a weekly "Workouts for the week of
...." thread - everyone posts on, e.g., Monday, what they did the
previous 7 days, each person summarizing their week's exercise in a
single posting.

Change of subject: here, we are going to take our second stab at an
RTK-based workout today. The plan, which my wife will execute with a
pair of 8 kg bells and me with a pair of 16's, will be:

Press: (1-2-3-4) x 5 - after each of the five ladders is done, you do
one set of 5 front squats before putting the bells down.

Deadlift: the two kettlebells for 20 reps x 2 sets

We will finish with two sets of pullups and then Evil Wheel rollouts,
each of these movements adapted to our respective current levels.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Jason Earl[_2_]
August 15th 10, 03:35 AM
On Sat, Aug 14 2010, Steve Freides wrote:

> Jason Earl wrote:
>
>> I did not get to my workout until late, but it went well. Steve was
>> right, I was capable of far more presses than I had been doing.
>
> Jason, a suggestion - start a thread, and keep replying to it rather
> than start a new one. Use one thread per week, or one thread per
> workout cycle, or whatever makes sense to you. I'm not suggesting
> this because I mind more threads, only because I'd actually like to
> follow what you're doing, and that would be much easier if I could
> just look over all the messages in a single thread rather than hop
> around from the current thread back to several earlier ones.

That makes sense. Thank you for the suggestion.

> Another way to go about this, one that's been tried here and never
> really caught on although it _has_ caught on in the running newsgroup,
> is to make yourself the keeper of a weekly "Workouts for the week of
> ..." thread - everyone posts on, e.g., Monday, what they did the
> previous 7 days, each person summarizing their week's exercise in a
> single posting.

I suppose I could do that. However, I would rather not wait a week to
post.

I think I will just start a Jason Rite of Passage thread. Although if
someone else was interested in posting their workouts I would be happy
to do it the other way.

> Change of subject: here, we are going to take our second stab at an
> RTK-based workout today. The plan, which my wife will execute with a
> pair of 8 kg bells and me with a pair of 16's, will be:
>
> Press: (1-2-3-4) x 5 - after each of the five ladders is done, you do
> one set of 5 front squats before putting the bells down.

How do you do ladders if you are doing both hands at the same time. Do
you do a rung and then your wife does a rung?

> Deadlift: the two kettlebells for 20 reps x 2 sets
>
> We will finish with two sets of pullups and then Evil Wheel rollouts,
> each of these movements adapted to our respective current levels.

That sounds brutal. Thanks for making me grateful for my workout.

Can you still do those crazy evil wheel rollups where your knees do not
touch the ground? I have been meaning to ask you for some time how in
the world you worked up to that.

Well, I've got to go do my heavy workout. Good luck.

Jason

Steve Freides[_2_]
August 15th 10, 03:53 AM
Jason Earl wrote:

> I suppose I could do that. However, I would rather not wait a week to
> post.
>
> I think I will just start a Jason Rite of Passage thread. Although if
> someone else was interested in posting their workouts I would be happy
> to do it the other way.

Sounds fine to me.

>> Change of subject: here, we are going to take our second stab at an
>> RTK-based workout today. The plan, which my wife will execute with a
>> pair of 8 kg bells and me with a pair of 16's, will be:
>>
>> Press: (1-2-3-4) x 5 - after each of the five ladders is done, you do
>> one set of 5 front squats before putting the bells down.
>
> How do you do ladders if you are doing both hands at the same time.
> Do you do a rung and then your wife does a rung?

She presses once, I press once, she presses twice, I press twice, etc.
For single kb work, we'd usually have one person do both arms before
switching to the next person, so it's quite similar.

>> Deadlift: the two kettlebells for 20 reps x 2 sets
>>
>> We will finish with two sets of pullups and then Evil Wheel rollouts,
>> each of these movements adapted to our respective current levels.
>
> That sounds brutal. Thanks for making me grateful for my workout.

It is - after doing it two days ago, I got crazy and did some heavy
overhead work yesterday, and I had to give up in the middle of today's
planned workout, but my wife finished it.

> Can you still do those crazy evil wheel rollups where your knees do
> not touch the ground? I have been meaning to ask you for some time
> how in the world you worked up to that.

Yup. I've been doing them again lately. Start as easy as necessary - a
big training aid here has been a sheet of 3/4" plywood I had ripped in
about half. We put the top end on a step, making it easier than on the
floor as you're effectively rolling out up a hill. Whenever I get back
into these, I start with the board on the 4th step, which is as high as
I've got - we have this little 4-step thing between two parts of our
basement. Once I get up to a few reps that way, then I work gradually
down to the floor again. I'm back to doing them on the 2nd step.

Start with doing them kneeling first, and work up to 10 reps that way.
There are lots of details that go into making these work, and if you do
them right, they're a tremendous movement that works a lot of your
body - grip, chest, shoulders, lats, glutes.

A very good way to work on the fully extended position is simply to
stand in front of a wall and roll the wheel up the wall until your arms
are straight. If you can't do that with your feet pretty close to the
wall, there's not much point in trying it any other way.

Try them kneeling and let me know how you do. The wheel is a $10 item
from almost any sporting goods store.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com