PDA

View Full Version : Re: Itchy, red bumps on both forearms...what was this rash?

geek_girl
March 11th 04, 09:26 PM
Justin Case wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 19:52:27 GMT, geek_girl
> > wrote:
>

>>Justin Case wrote:
>

>>>I have this right now. The rash corresponds exactly to the lying leg
>>>curl machine with the handles underneath. I have the rash on my quads
>>>just below the line of my gym shorts and the inner part of the upper
>>>arms.
>>>It's insanely itchy so I had to get a prescription creme.
>>>This sucks! I hate wearing long sleeves and gym pants 'cause I get hot
>>>enough to friggin melt.
>>
>>So do what I do - stay off the leg curl machine and do SLDLs and/or GMs
>>instead.
>

> Yup, That's what I plan to do. But now I wonder about what other
> unpleasantness might be on the other things I use, like the flat &
> incline benches & dumbell seats.

I usually throw my towel over the bench to avoid direct skin-to-bench
contact. If the bench is visibly icky, I grab the bottle of spray
cleaner stuff (although it may be one of the things that causes the
rash) and some paper towels and wipe it down first. I don't think it
does much of anything, but it makes me feel better.

geek_girl
March 11th 04, 09:26 PM
Justin Case wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 19:52:27 GMT, geek_girl
> > wrote:
>

>>Justin Case wrote:
>

>>>I have this right now. The rash corresponds exactly to the lying leg
>>>curl machine with the handles underneath. I have the rash on my quads
>>>just below the line of my gym shorts and the inner part of the upper
>>>arms.
>>>It's insanely itchy so I had to get a prescription creme.
>>>This sucks! I hate wearing long sleeves and gym pants 'cause I get hot
>>>enough to friggin melt.
>>
>>So do what I do - stay off the leg curl machine and do SLDLs and/or GMs
>>instead.
>

> Yup, That's what I plan to do. But now I wonder about what other
> unpleasantness might be on the other things I use, like the flat &
> incline benches & dumbell seats.

I usually throw my towel over the bench to avoid direct skin-to-bench
contact. If the bench is visibly icky, I grab the bottle of spray
cleaner stuff (although it may be one of the things that causes the
rash) and some paper towels and wipe it down first. I don't think it
does much of anything, but it makes me feel better.

geek_girl
March 11th 04, 09:35 PM
Bob Falooley wrote:

> Justin Case wrote:
>

>>I have this right now. The rash corresponds exactly to the lying leg
>>curl machine with the handles underneath. I have the rash on my quads
>>just below the line of my gym shorts and the inner part of the upper
>>arms.
>>It's insanely itchy so I had to get a prescription creme.
>>This sucks! I hate wearing long sleeves and gym pants 'cause I get hot
>>enough to friggin melt.
>

> Ask your gym why they arn't using your gym dues to pay people to go around
> and sanitize the pads every once in a while.

How do you know they're not? Contact dermatitis isn't necessarily caused
by pathogens. It's more likely caused by the vinyl covering or cleaning
agents.

geek_girl
March 11th 04, 09:35 PM
Bob Falooley wrote:

> Justin Case wrote:
>

>>I have this right now. The rash corresponds exactly to the lying leg
>>curl machine with the handles underneath. I have the rash on my quads
>>just below the line of my gym shorts and the inner part of the upper
>>arms.
>>It's insanely itchy so I had to get a prescription creme.
>>This sucks! I hate wearing long sleeves and gym pants 'cause I get hot
>>enough to friggin melt.
>

> Ask your gym why they arn't using your gym dues to pay people to go around
> and sanitize the pads every once in a while.

How do you know they're not? Contact dermatitis isn't necessarily caused
by pathogens. It's more likely caused by the vinyl covering or cleaning
agents.

Proton Soup
March 11th 04, 10:18 PM
On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 17:34:09 -0500, Bob Falooley >
wrote:

>geek_girl wrote:
>
>> Bob Falooley wrote:
>>

>>> Ask your gym why they arn't using your gym dues to pay people to go
>>> around and sanitize the pads every once in a while.
>>
>> How do you know they're not? Contact dermatitis isn't necessarily caused
>> by pathogens. It's more likely caused by the vinyl covering or cleaning
>> agents.
>
>I really wouldn't know. I know I use a lot of cleaning supplies without
>gloves and have never gotten rashes. So If I got a rash from the gym I
>would assume it was something funky growing on the pads.

Just means the skin on your palms is thick. Try out those cleaning
supplies on your penis.

Proton Soup

wrote:

>geek_girl wrote:
>
>> Bob Falooley wrote:
>>

>>> Ask your gym why they arn't using your gym dues to pay people to go
>>> around and sanitize the pads every once in a while.
>>
>> How do you know they're not? Contact dermatitis isn't necessarily caused
>> by pathogens. It's more likely caused by the vinyl covering or cleaning
>> agents.
>
>I really wouldn't know. I know I use a lot of cleaning supplies without
>gloves and have never gotten rashes. So If I got a rash from the gym I
>would assume it was something funky growing on the pads.

Just means the skin on your palms is thick. Try out those cleaning
supplies on your penis.

Proton Soup

Bob Falooley
March 11th 04, 10:34 PM
geek_girl wrote:

> Bob Falooley wrote:
>

>> Ask your gym why they arn't using your gym dues to pay people to go
>> around and sanitize the pads every once in a while.
>
> How do you know they're not? Contact dermatitis isn't necessarily caused
> by pathogens. It's more likely caused by the vinyl covering or cleaning
> agents.

I really wouldn't know. I know I use a lot of cleaning supplies without
gloves and have never gotten rashes. So If I got a rash from the gym I
would assume it was something funky growing on the pads.

--Falooley

Bob Falooley
March 11th 04, 10:34 PM
geek_girl wrote:

> Bob Falooley wrote:
>

>> Ask your gym why they arn't using your gym dues to pay people to go
>> around and sanitize the pads every once in a while.
>
> How do you know they're not? Contact dermatitis isn't necessarily caused
> by pathogens. It's more likely caused by the vinyl covering or cleaning
> agents.

I really wouldn't know. I know I use a lot of cleaning supplies without
gloves and have never gotten rashes. So If I got a rash from the gym I
would assume it was something funky growing on the pads.

--Falooley

Proton Soup
March 11th 04, 10:59 PM
On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:02:22 -0500, Bob Falooley >
wrote:

>Proton Soup <> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 17:34:09 -0500, Bob Falooley >
>> wrote:

>>>I really wouldn't know. I know I use a lot of cleaning supplies without
>>>gloves and have never gotten rashes. So If I got a rash from the gym I
>>>would assume it was something funky growing on the pads.
>>
>> Just means the skin on your palms is thick. Try out those cleaning
>> supplies on your penis.
>>
>> Proton Soup
>
>If only your father had not tried to use houshold cleaners as a
>spermacide...

No, I'm serious. It's difficult to get poison ivy on your palms, too.
But try drying out the natural oils on a thinner area of your body,
and you'll get a reaction. Innocent-seeming things like too many hot
showers will dry out your skin and cause rashes. I'm just saying that
you can't use your hands as an reliable indicator.

wrote:

>Proton Soup <> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 17:34:09 -0500, Bob Falooley >
>> wrote:

>>>I really wouldn't know. I know I use a lot of cleaning supplies without
>>>gloves and have never gotten rashes. So If I got a rash from the gym I
>>>would assume it was something funky growing on the pads.
>>
>> Just means the skin on your palms is thick. Try out those cleaning
>> supplies on your penis.
>>
>> Proton Soup
>
>If only your father had not tried to use houshold cleaners as a
>spermacide...

No, I'm serious. It's difficult to get poison ivy on your palms, too.
But try drying out the natural oils on a thinner area of your body,
and you'll get a reaction. Innocent-seeming things like too many hot
showers will dry out your skin and cause rashes. I'm just saying that
you can't use your hands as an reliable indicator.

Proton Soup

Bob Falooley
March 11th 04, 11:02 PM

Proton Soup <> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 17:34:09 -0500, Bob Falooley >
> wrote:
>
>>geek_girl wrote:

>>> How do you know they're not? Contact dermatitis isn't necessarily caused
>>> by pathogens. It's more likely caused by the vinyl covering or cleaning
>>> agents.
>>
>>I really wouldn't know. I know I use a lot of cleaning supplies without
>>gloves and have never gotten rashes. So If I got a rash from the gym I
>>would assume it was something funky growing on the pads.
>
> Just means the skin on your palms is thick. Try out those cleaning
> supplies on your penis.
>
> Proton Soup

If only your father had not tried to use houshold cleaners as a
spermacide...

--Falooley

Bob Falooley
March 12th 04, 02:38 PM
Proton Soup <> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:02:22 -0500, Bob Falooley >
> wrote:
>
>>Proton Soup <> wrote:

>>> Just means the skin on your palms is thick. Try out those cleaning
>>> supplies on your penis.
>>>
>>> Proton Soup
>>
>>If only your father had not tried to use houshold cleaners as a
>>spermacide...
>
> No, I'm serious. It's difficult to get poison ivy on your palms, too.
> But try drying out the natural oils on a thinner area of your body,
> and you'll get a reaction. Innocent-seeming things like too many hot
> showers will dry out your skin and cause rashes. I'm just saying that
> you can't use your hands as an reliable indicator.
>
> Proton Soup

And yet another reason not to use machines or do preacher curls. Should
someone add this one to the FAQ?

--Falooley

Bob Falooley
March 12th 04, 02:38 PM
Proton Soup <> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:02:22 -0500, Bob Falooley >
> wrote:
>
>>Proton Soup <> wrote:

>>> Just means the skin on your palms is thick. Try out those cleaning
>>> supplies on your penis.
>>>
>>> Proton Soup
>>
>>If only your father had not tried to use houshold cleaners as a
>>spermacide...
>
> No, I'm serious. It's difficult to get poison ivy on your palms, too.
> But try drying out the natural oils on a thinner area of your body,
> and you'll get a reaction. Innocent-seeming things like too many hot
> showers will dry out your skin and cause rashes. I'm just saying that
> you can't use your hands as an reliable indicator.
>
> Proton Soup

And yet another reason not to use machines or do preacher curls. Should
someone add this one to the FAQ?

--Falooley

oldal4865
March 14th 04, 04:18 PM
Bob Falooley wrote in message ...
Justin Case wrote:

> I have this right now. The rash corresponds exactly to the lying leg
> curl machine with the handles underneath. I have the rash on my quads
> just below the line of my gym shorts and the inner part of the upper
> arms.
> It's insanely itchy so I had to get a prescription creme.
> This sucks! I hate wearing long sleeves and gym pants 'cause I get hot
> enough to friggin melt.

Ask your gym why they arn't using your gym dues to pay people to go around
and sanitize the pads every once in a while.

--Falooley

We have some sort of disinfectant in a spray bottle and a wiping towel
at every machine. Most folks use them. Then the Center has somebody
re-do all of them periodically during the day.

Regards
Old Al