PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Great Lakes PL meet

elzinator
March 13th 04, 10:03 PM
No, I wasn't there this year, obviously.
But I just heard from Gary and he qualified for Nationals with a total
of 1700. His bench is his weak point, and he missed two out of three,
getting only 415 lb (he's benched 520 in the gym, even before I left).
Problems with the shirt and a miscall on flights (and sitting in his
shirt too long), he lost focus on his last bench try, with uneven
extension and two red lights.

His squat was low and strong at 600 lb. He surprised himself with the
deadlift, pulling 685 lb like it was nothing. I wasn't surprised; I
expect him to pull over 700 next time. I recognized right away that
the deadlift was his strongest lift (and his bench was his weakest;
his arms hang down to his knees almost). He tied with another at 1700,
but if he had benched the ~500 that he expected, he would have placed
first in open.

On to nationals and Baton Rouge in June (I'll be there for that, both
he and Caleb will compete).

Beelzibub

The human in us owes fealty to humanity. But the wolf in us acknowledges no master.

John Hanson
March 13th 04, 10:31 PM
On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 16:03:35 -0600, elzinator
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>No, I wasn't there this year, obviously.
>But I just heard from Gary and he qualified for Nationals with a total
>of 1700. His bench is his weak point, and he missed two out of three,
>getting only 415 lb (he's benched 520 in the gym, even before I left).
>Problems with the shirt and a miscall on flights (and sitting in his
>shirt too long), he lost focus on his last bench try, with uneven
>extension and two red lights.
>
>His squat was low and strong at 600 lb. He surprised himself with the
>deadlift, pulling 685 lb like it was nothing. I wasn't surprised; I
>expect him to pull over 700 next time. I recognized right away that
>the deadlift was his strongest lift (and his bench was his weakest;
>his arms hang down to his knees almost). He tied with another at 1700,
>but if he had benched the ~500 that he expected, he would have placed
>first in open.
>
>On to nationals and Baton Rouge in June (I'll be there for that, both
>he and Caleb will compete).

What weight classes are they in? Shawn Cain will be there competing
in the 220s...as long as he doesn't rip something again. I've toyed
with the idea of making the trip myself.

John Hanson
March 13th 04, 10:31 PM
On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 16:03:35 -0600, elzinator
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>No, I wasn't there this year, obviously.
>But I just heard from Gary and he qualified for Nationals with a total
>of 1700. His bench is his weak point, and he missed two out of three,
>getting only 415 lb (he's benched 520 in the gym, even before I left).
>Problems with the shirt and a miscall on flights (and sitting in his
>shirt too long), he lost focus on his last bench try, with uneven
>extension and two red lights.
>
>His squat was low and strong at 600 lb. He surprised himself with the
>deadlift, pulling 685 lb like it was nothing. I wasn't surprised; I
>expect him to pull over 700 next time. I recognized right away that
>the deadlift was his strongest lift (and his bench was his weakest;
>his arms hang down to his knees almost). He tied with another at 1700,
>but if he had benched the ~500 that he expected, he would have placed
>first in open.
>
>On to nationals and Baton Rouge in June (I'll be there for that, both
>he and Caleb will compete).

What weight classes are they in? Shawn Cain will be there competing
in the 220s...as long as he doesn't rip something again. I've toyed
with the idea of making the trip myself.

elzinator
March 14th 04, 03:13 AM
On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:31:46 GMT, John Hanson wrote:
>On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 16:03:35 -0600, elzinator
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
>>No, I wasn't there this year, obviously.
>>But I just heard from Gary and he qualified for Nationals with a total
>>of 1700. His bench is his weak point, and he missed two out of three,
>>getting only 415 lb (he's benched 520 in the gym, even before I left).
>>Problems with the shirt and a miscall on flights (and sitting in his
>>shirt too long), he lost focus on his last bench try, with uneven
>>extension and two red lights.
>>
>>His squat was low and strong at 600 lb. He surprised himself with the
>>deadlift, pulling 685 lb like it was nothing. I wasn't surprised; I
>>expect him to pull over 700 next time. I recognized right away that
>>the deadlift was his strongest lift (and his bench was his weakest;
>>his arms hang down to his knees almost). He tied with another at 1700,
>>but if he had benched the ~500 that he expected, he would have placed
>>first in open.
>>
>>On to nationals and Baton Rouge in June (I'll be there for that, both
>>he and Caleb will compete).
>
>What weight classes are they in? Shawn Cain will be there competing
>in the 220s...as long as he doesn't rip something again. I've toyed
>with the idea of making the trip myself.

Caleb competes in my weight class: 148. (how humiliating for me ;) I
think he and Cain are friends/aquaintences; I don't recall.

Gary competes in 242.5 class.

He weighed in at 241. A big dinner with pasta will put almost 10
pounds on him. He's 6'3" and carries a lot of muscle. And he likes to
eat. However, I made him promise me a month ago no Little Debbies.
(some confectionery that sounds atrocious)

Let me know if you're going. We can get together for java or glass of
wine. Or dinner; I hear Louisianan food is deelicious.

Beelzibub

The human in us owes fealty to humanity. But the wolf in us acknowledges no master.

elzinator
March 14th 04, 03:13 AM
On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:31:46 GMT, John Hanson wrote:
>On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 16:03:35 -0600, elzinator
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
>>No, I wasn't there this year, obviously.
>>But I just heard from Gary and he qualified for Nationals with a total
>>of 1700. His bench is his weak point, and he missed two out of three,
>>getting only 415 lb (he's benched 520 in the gym, even before I left).
>>Problems with the shirt and a miscall on flights (and sitting in his
>>shirt too long), he lost focus on his last bench try, with uneven
>>extension and two red lights.
>>
>>His squat was low and strong at 600 lb. He surprised himself with the
>>deadlift, pulling 685 lb like it was nothing. I wasn't surprised; I
>>expect him to pull over 700 next time. I recognized right away that
>>the deadlift was his strongest lift (and his bench was his weakest;
>>his arms hang down to his knees almost). He tied with another at 1700,
>>but if he had benched the ~500 that he expected, he would have placed
>>first in open.
>>
>>On to nationals and Baton Rouge in June (I'll be there for that, both
>>he and Caleb will compete).
>
>What weight classes are they in? Shawn Cain will be there competing
>in the 220s...as long as he doesn't rip something again. I've toyed
>with the idea of making the trip myself.

Caleb competes in my weight class: 148. (how humiliating for me ;) I
think he and Cain are friends/aquaintences; I don't recall.

Gary competes in 242.5 class.

He weighed in at 241. A big dinner with pasta will put almost 10
pounds on him. He's 6'3" and carries a lot of muscle. And he likes to
eat. However, I made him promise me a month ago no Little Debbies.
(some confectionery that sounds atrocious)

Let me know if you're going. We can get together for java or glass of
wine. Or dinner; I hear Louisianan food is deelicious.

Beelzibub

The human in us owes fealty to humanity. But the wolf in us acknowledges no master.

John Hanson
March 14th 04, 03:44 AM
On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 21:13:45 -0600, elzinator
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:31:46 GMT, John Hanson wrote:
>>On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 16:03:35 -0600, elzinator
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>>
>>>No, I wasn't there this year, obviously.
>>>But I just heard from Gary and he qualified for Nationals with a total
>>>of 1700. His bench is his weak point, and he missed two out of three,
>>>getting only 415 lb (he's benched 520 in the gym, even before I left).
>>>Problems with the shirt and a miscall on flights (and sitting in his
>>>shirt too long), he lost focus on his last bench try, with uneven
>>>extension and two red lights.
>>>
>>>His squat was low and strong at 600 lb. He surprised himself with the
>>>deadlift, pulling 685 lb like it was nothing. I wasn't surprised; I
>>>expect him to pull over 700 next time. I recognized right away that
>>>the deadlift was his strongest lift (and his bench was his weakest;
>>>his arms hang down to his knees almost). He tied with another at 1700,
>>>but if he had benched the ~500 that he expected, he would have placed
>>>first in open.
>>>
>>>On to nationals and Baton Rouge in June (I'll be there for that, both
>>>he and Caleb will compete).
>>
>>What weight classes are they in? Shawn Cain will be there competing
>>in the 220s...as long as he doesn't rip something again. I've toyed
>>with the idea of making the trip myself.
>
>Caleb competes in my weight class: 148. (how humiliating for me ;) I
>think he and Cain are friends/aquaintences; I don't recall.

What's his last name? I'll ask Shawn about him Monday.

>Gary competes in 242.5 class.

Shawn used to compete in that class. He will again too as he wants to
break all of Jim Miller's Wi State records. Nice friend, eh?
Actually, he might do it for the open. He's doing masters as a
twenty. I'm thinking about dropping to the 98s for masters. I'm only
about 210 right now.

>He weighed in at 241. A big dinner with pasta will put almost 10
>pounds on him. He's 6'3" and carries a lot of muscle. And he likes to
>eat. However, I made him promise me a month ago no Little Debbies.
>(some confectionery that sounds atrocious)

He's light for being that tall. Scott Lade is shorter than I am and
he has to cut weight for the 275 class. Does he plan on moving to the
75s?

>Let me know if you're going. We can get together for java or glass of
>wine. Or dinner; I hear Louisianan food is deelicious.

We'll have to do dinner if I go. I'm famous for breaking bread with
people.

John Hanson
March 14th 04, 03:44 AM
On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 21:13:45 -0600, elzinator
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:31:46 GMT, John Hanson wrote:
>>On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 16:03:35 -0600, elzinator
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>>
>>>No, I wasn't there this year, obviously.
>>>But I just heard from Gary and he qualified for Nationals with a total
>>>of 1700. His bench is his weak point, and he missed two out of three,
>>>getting only 415 lb (he's benched 520 in the gym, even before I left).
>>>Problems with the shirt and a miscall on flights (and sitting in his
>>>shirt too long), he lost focus on his last bench try, with uneven
>>>extension and two red lights.
>>>
>>>His squat was low and strong at 600 lb. He surprised himself with the
>>>deadlift, pulling 685 lb like it was nothing. I wasn't surprised; I
>>>expect him to pull over 700 next time. I recognized right away that
>>>the deadlift was his strongest lift (and his bench was his weakest;
>>>his arms hang down to his knees almost). He tied with another at 1700,
>>>but if he had benched the ~500 that he expected, he would have placed
>>>first in open.
>>>
>>>On to nationals and Baton Rouge in June (I'll be there for that, both
>>>he and Caleb will compete).
>>
>>What weight classes are they in? Shawn Cain will be there competing
>>in the 220s...as long as he doesn't rip something again. I've toyed
>>with the idea of making the trip myself.
>
>Caleb competes in my weight class: 148. (how humiliating for me ;) I
>think he and Cain are friends/aquaintences; I don't recall.

What's his last name? I'll ask Shawn about him Monday.

>Gary competes in 242.5 class.

Shawn used to compete in that class. He will again too as he wants to
break all of Jim Miller's Wi State records. Nice friend, eh?
Actually, he might do it for the open. He's doing masters as a
twenty. I'm thinking about dropping to the 98s for masters. I'm only
about 210 right now.

>He weighed in at 241. A big dinner with pasta will put almost 10
>pounds on him. He's 6'3" and carries a lot of muscle. And he likes to
>eat. However, I made him promise me a month ago no Little Debbies.
>(some confectionery that sounds atrocious)

He's light for being that tall. Scott Lade is shorter than I am and
he has to cut weight for the 275 class. Does he plan on moving to the
75s?

>Let me know if you're going. We can get together for java or glass of
>wine. Or dinner; I hear Louisianan food is deelicious.

We'll have to do dinner if I go. I'm famous for breaking bread with
people.

elzinator
March 14th 04, 05:27 AM
On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 03:44:07 GMT, John Hanson wrote:
>On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 21:13:45 -0600, elzinator
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
>>On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:31:46 GMT, John Hanson wrote:

>>>What weight classes are they in? Shawn Cain will be there competing
>>>in the 220s...as long as he doesn't rip something again. I've toyed
>>>with the idea of making the trip myself.
>>
>>Caleb competes in my weight class: 148. (how humiliating for me ;) I
>>think he and Cain are friends/aquaintences; I don't recall.
>
>What's his last name? I'll ask Shawn about him Monday.

Hell if I remember. (I'm terrible at remembering names).

>>Gary competes in 242.5 class.
>
>Shawn used to compete in that class. He will again too as he wants to
>break all of Jim Miller's Wi State records. Nice friend, eh?
>Actually, he might do it for the open. He's doing masters as a
>twenty. I'm thinking about dropping to the 98s for masters. I'm only
>about 210 right now.

Hey, don't take it personally. Its only a PL meet :)

>>He weighed in at 241. A big dinner with pasta will put almost 10
>>pounds on him. He's 6'3" and carries a lot of muscle. And he likes to
>>eat. However, I made him promise me a month ago no Little Debbies.
>>(some confectionery that sounds atrocious)
>
>He's light for being that tall. Scott Lade is shorter than I am and
>he has to cut weight for the 275 class. Does he plan on moving to the
>75s?

Gary stays fairly lean, except for his gut. I shot him one time in
the'gut's big'. But its a great shot; he's smiling. Otherwise, people
are scared ****less of him.

Gary also has no calves, which he knows and doesn't care. I think
putting muscle on his calves could add at least 10 pounds :) (a point
he is constantly teased by everyone) I'm the one that made him start
training his calves. Otherwise, Gary ranges between 260-270 lb during
off season training, especially during hypertrophic period (more lean
body mass and more body fat/water). I lost weight and size when I
neared my meet, too (low rep training).

>>Let me know if you're going. We can get together for java or glass of
>>wine. Or dinner; I hear Louisianan food is deelicious.
>>
>We'll have to do dinner if I go. I'm famous for breaking bread with
>people.

Do I have to call you Jesus or something? I'm not kissing your feet,
dude.

Beelzibub

The human in us owes fealty to humanity. But the wolf in us acknowledges no master.

elzinator
March 14th 04, 05:27 AM
On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 03:44:07 GMT, John Hanson wrote:
>On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 21:13:45 -0600, elzinator
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
>
>>On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:31:46 GMT, John Hanson wrote:

>>>What weight classes are they in? Shawn Cain will be there competing
>>>in the 220s...as long as he doesn't rip something again. I've toyed
>>>with the idea of making the trip myself.
>>
>>Caleb competes in my weight class: 148. (how humiliating for me ;) I
>>think he and Cain are friends/aquaintences; I don't recall.
>
>What's his last name? I'll ask Shawn about him Monday.

Hell if I remember. (I'm terrible at remembering names).

>>Gary competes in 242.5 class.
>
>Shawn used to compete in that class. He will again too as he wants to
>break all of Jim Miller's Wi State records. Nice friend, eh?
>Actually, he might do it for the open. He's doing masters as a
>twenty. I'm thinking about dropping to the 98s for masters. I'm only
>about 210 right now.

Hey, don't take it personally. Its only a PL meet :)

>>He weighed in at 241. A big dinner with pasta will put almost 10
>>pounds on him. He's 6'3" and carries a lot of muscle. And he likes to
>>eat. However, I made him promise me a month ago no Little Debbies.
>>(some confectionery that sounds atrocious)
>
>He's light for being that tall. Scott Lade is shorter than I am and
>he has to cut weight for the 275 class. Does he plan on moving to the
>75s?

Gary stays fairly lean, except for his gut. I shot him one time in
the'gut's big'. But its a great shot; he's smiling. Otherwise, people
are scared ****less of him.

Gary also has no calves, which he knows and doesn't care. I think
putting muscle on his calves could add at least 10 pounds :) (a point
he is constantly teased by everyone) I'm the one that made him start
training his calves. Otherwise, Gary ranges between 260-270 lb during
off season training, especially during hypertrophic period (more lean
body mass and more body fat/water). I lost weight and size when I
neared my meet, too (low rep training).

>>Let me know if you're going. We can get together for java or glass of
>>wine. Or dinner; I hear Louisianan food is deelicious.
>>
>We'll have to do dinner if I go. I'm famous for breaking bread with
>people.

Do I have to call you Jesus or something? I'm not kissing your feet,
dude.

Beelzibub

The human in us owes fealty to humanity. But the wolf in us acknowledges no master.

elzinator
March 14th 04, 05:32 AM
On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 23:27:08 -0600, elzinator wrote:
My rollar ball had a brain fart:
>Gary stays fairly lean, except for his gut. I shot him one time in
>the'gut's big'. But its a great shot; he's smiling. Otherwise, people
>are scared ****less of him.

should have been:

"Gary stays fairly lean, except for his gut. I shot him one time in
the gym and he didn't like the picture. He complained that the 'gut's
big'. But its a great shot; he's smiling. Otherwise, people are scared
****less of him."

Beelzibub

The human in us owes fealty to humanity. But the wolf in us acknowledges no master.

elzinator
March 14th 04, 05:32 AM
On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 23:27:08 -0600, elzinator wrote:
My rollar ball had a brain fart:
>Gary stays fairly lean, except for his gut. I shot him one time in
>the'gut's big'. But its a great shot; he's smiling. Otherwise, people
>are scared ****less of him.

should have been:

"Gary stays fairly lean, except for his gut. I shot him one time in
the gym and he didn't like the picture. He complained that the 'gut's
big'. But its a great shot; he's smiling. Otherwise, people are scared
****less of him."

Beelzibub

The human in us owes fealty to humanity. But the wolf in us acknowledges no master.

Proton Soup
March 14th 04, 05:36 AM
On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 23:27:08 -0600, elzinator
> wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 03:44:07 GMT, John Hanson wrote:
>>On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 21:13:45 -0600, elzinator
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>>>He weighed in at 241. A big dinner with pasta will put almost 10
>>>pounds on him. He's 6'3" and carries a lot of muscle. And he likes to
>>>eat. However, I made him promise me a month ago no Little Debbies.
>>>(some confectionery that sounds atrocious)

Little Debbie is a Southern delicacy. For some more than others
apparently.

http://www.scots.com/band/discography/sounds/SCOTS_DTD_05.mp3

Proton Soup

Proton Soup
March 14th 04, 05:36 AM
On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 23:27:08 -0600, elzinator
> wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 03:44:07 GMT, John Hanson wrote:
>>On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 21:13:45 -0600, elzinator
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>>>He weighed in at 241. A big dinner with pasta will put almost 10
>>>pounds on him. He's 6'3" and carries a lot of muscle. And he likes to
>>>eat. However, I made him promise me a month ago no Little Debbies.
>>>(some confectionery that sounds atrocious)

Little Debbie is a Southern delicacy. For some more than others
apparently.

http://www.scots.com/band/discography/sounds/SCOTS_DTD_05.mp3

Proton Soup

John Hanson
March 14th 04, 03:24 PM
On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 23:27:08 -0600, elzinator
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>Gary also has no calves, which he knows and doesn't care. I think
>putting muscle on his calves could add at least 10 pounds :) (a point
>he is constantly teased by everyone) I'm the one that made him start
>training his calves. Otherwise, Gary ranges between 260-270 lb during
>off season training, especially during hypertrophic period (more lean
>body mass and more body fat/water). I lost weight and size when I
>neared my meet, too (low rep training).

RDC claims calves contribute 7%(?) to your squat poundage.

Regarding weight loss, I was worried about my weight before state
masters. The scale in the gym had gotten broke so the owner brought
in a cheap bathroom scale and I didn't trust it too much. Anyway, I
had been weighing in around 225 when I'd come into the gym. The
Wednesday before the meet, I weighed in at 220 and I figured
everything was cool.

So we drive up to Duluth Friday afternoon and check into the hotel. I
see they have an exercise room so I ask the chick if they have a scale
in there. Nope! So, now I'm feeling anxious. We stop and have
something to eat and I eat less than normal. Then we decide to go to
Target and use one of their scales.

The first scale I pull out looks like a cheap piece of **** but I get
on it anyway. 237! Now I'm like, ****! I may not make the 42s. So
we get out another and it says I weigh 170 something. Next one says
233 and the last one says 227. Should have seen the looks I was
getting as I'm standing in my underwear weighing myself;-)

So I don't eat or drink anything that night and only have 2 cups of
coffee the next morning. I normally drink a whole pot. So we go to
the meet and I track down a scale. I set it to 220.25, take off my
coat and shoes and get on. The scale bob deal doesn't move. I slide
it down and it just starts to level at 216. I ended up weighing in at
213. I think this contributed to my poor performance that day.

>>>Let me know if you're going. We can get together for java or glass of
>>>wine. Or dinner; I hear Louisianan food is deelicious.
>>>
>>We'll have to do dinner if I go. I'm famous for breaking bread with
>>people.
>
>Do I have to call you Jesus or something? I'm not kissing your feet,
>dude.

No, that won't be necessary. As long as you are wearing a head
covering and veil you may just refer to me as master:-)

John Hanson
March 14th 04, 03:24 PM
> [...]

So I don't eat or drink anything that night and only have 2 cups of
coffee the next morning. I normally drink a whole pot. So we go to
the meet and I track down a scale. I set it to 220.25, take off my
coat and shoes and get on. The scale bob deal doesn't move. I slide
it down and it just starts to level at 216. I ended up weighing in at
213. I think this contributed to my poor performance that day.

>>>Let me know if you're going. We can get together for java or glass of
>>>wine. Or dinner; I hear Louisianan food is deelicious.
>>>
>>We'll have to do dinner if I go. I'm famous for breaking bread with
>>people.
>
>Do I have to call you Jesus or something? I'm not kissing your feet,
>dude.

No, that won't be necessary. As long as you are wearing a head
covering and veil you may just refer to me as master:-)

March 15th 04, 06:07 AM
On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 23:27:08 -0600, elzinator
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 03:44:07 GMT, John Hanson wrote:
>>On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 21:13:45 -0600, elzinator
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>>>Caleb competes in my weight class: 148. (how humiliating for me ;) I
>>>think he and Cain are friends/aquaintences; I don't recall.
>>
>>What's his last name? I'll ask Shawn about him Monday.
>
>Hell if I remember. (I'm terrible at remembering names).

It wouldn't happen to be Williams would it? There is a Caleb Williams
from Pennsylvania who won the 48s last year.

John Hanson
March 15th 04, 06:07 AM