PDA

View Full Version : Woof! Article on insulin and hypertrophy in dogs

Steve Freides
March 16th 04, 04:04 PM
Someone posted this link on the dragon door forum in the nutrition section:

http://www.k9power.com/fahey_insulin.htm

My wife says I bark at her sometimes - does this mean the article applies to
me?

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

David Cohen
March 16th 04, 05:38 PM
"Steve Freides" > wrote
> Someone posted this link on the dragon door forum in the nutrition
section:

> http://www.k9power.com/fahey_insulin.htm

?? Huh? If you substitute the word "person" for "dog" in that article,
you get old standard advice. Why would anyone bother to write this for
dog owners?
"Raise your dog's insulin levels after exercise by feeding it several
carbohydrate-amino acid beverages or meals. The technique is simple
but effective."

Maybe I'll plagiarize it, change "dog" to "monkey", and submit it to
Monkey Spankers Journal.

> My wife says I bark at her sometimes - does this mean the article
applies to
> me?

It's amazing how well a low pitched menacing growl works on people.

David

David Cohen
March 16th 04, 05:38 PM
"Steve Freides" > wrote
> Someone posted this link on the dragon door forum in the nutrition
section:

> http://www.k9power.com/fahey_insulin.htm

?? Huh? If you substitute the word "person" for "dog" in that article,
you get old standard advice. Why would anyone bother to write this for
dog owners?
"Raise your dog's insulin levels after exercise by feeding it several
carbohydrate-amino acid beverages or meals. The technique is simple
but effective."

Maybe I'll plagiarize it, change "dog" to "monkey", and submit it to
Monkey Spankers Journal.

> My wife says I bark at her sometimes - does this mean the article
applies to
> me?

It's amazing how well a low pitched menacing growl works on people.

David

David Cohen
March 16th 04, 05:38 PM
"Steve Freides" > wrote
> Someone posted this link on the dragon door forum in the nutrition
section:

> http://www.k9power.com/fahey_insulin.htm

?? Huh? If you substitute the word "person" for "dog" in that article,
you get old standard advice. Why would anyone bother to write this for
dog owners?
"Raise your dog's insulin levels after exercise by feeding it several
carbohydrate-amino acid beverages or meals. The technique is simple
but effective."

Maybe I'll plagiarize it, change "dog" to "monkey", and submit it to
Monkey Spankers Journal.

> My wife says I bark at her sometimes - does this mean the article
applies to
> me?

It's amazing how well a low pitched menacing growl works on people.

David

Lee Michaels
March 16th 04, 05:43 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote

> It's amazing how well a low pitched menacing growl works on people.

Panting and humping their leg is extremely effective on some folks as well.

Lee Michaels
March 16th 04, 05:43 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote

> It's amazing how well a low pitched menacing growl works on people.

Panting and humping their leg is extremely effective on some folks as well.

Lee Michaels
March 16th 04, 05:43 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote

> It's amazing how well a low pitched menacing growl works on people.

Panting and humping their leg is extremely effective on some folks as well.

Lyle McDonald
March 16th 04, 07:04 PM
David Cohen wrote:

> "Steve Freides" > wrote
>
>>Someone posted this link on the dragon door forum in the nutrition
>
> section:
>
>>http://www.k9power.com/fahey_insulin.htm
>

> ?? Huh? If you substitute the word "person" for "dog" in that article,
> you get old standard advice. Why would anyone bother to write this for
> dog owners?

Fahey must be desparate to publish or something.
It is weird though and the article reads as if he took something on
humans and just globally replaced 'person' with dog.

> "Raise your dog's insulin levels after exercise by feeding it several
> carbohydrate-amino acid beverages or meals. The technique is simple
> but effective."
>
> Maybe I'll plagiarize it, change "dog" to "monkey", and submit it to
> Monkey Spankers Journal.

Seeing as I am the editor...

Lyle

Lyle McDonald
March 16th 04, 07:04 PM
David Cohen wrote:

> "Steve Freides" > wrote
>
>>Someone posted this link on the dragon door forum in the nutrition
>
> section:
>
>>http://www.k9power.com/fahey_insulin.htm
>

> ?? Huh? If you substitute the word "person" for "dog" in that article,
> you get old standard advice. Why would anyone bother to write this for
> dog owners?

Fahey must be desparate to publish or something.
It is weird though and the article reads as if he took something on
humans and just globally replaced 'person' with dog.

> "Raise your dog's insulin levels after exercise by feeding it several
> carbohydrate-amino acid beverages or meals. The technique is simple
> but effective."
>
> Maybe I'll plagiarize it, change "dog" to "monkey", and submit it to
> Monkey Spankers Journal.

Seeing as I am the editor...

Lyle

Lyle McDonald
March 16th 04, 07:04 PM
David Cohen wrote:

> "Steve Freides" > wrote
>
>>Someone posted this link on the dragon door forum in the nutrition
>
> section:
>
>>http://www.k9power.com/fahey_insulin.htm
>

> ?? Huh? If you substitute the word "person" for "dog" in that article,
> you get old standard advice. Why would anyone bother to write this for
> dog owners?

Fahey must be desparate to publish or something.
It is weird though and the article reads as if he took something on
humans and just globally replaced 'person' with dog.

> "Raise your dog's insulin levels after exercise by feeding it several
> carbohydrate-amino acid beverages or meals. The technique is simple
> but effective."
>
> Maybe I'll plagiarize it, change "dog" to "monkey", and submit it to
> Monkey Spankers Journal.

Seeing as I am the editor...

Lyle

Paul Cassel
March 16th 04, 07:33 PM
Steve Freides wrote:
> Someone posted this link on the dragon door forum in the nutrition
> section:
>
> http://www.k9power.com/fahey_insulin.htm

What next - to see how well developed your dog is, you need to shave it?

-paul

Paul Cassel
March 16th 04, 07:33 PM

Steve Freides wrote:
> Someone posted this link on the dragon door forum in the nutrition
> section:
>
> http://www.k9power.com/fahey_insulin.htm

What next - to see how well developed your dog is, you need to shave it?

-paul

Bob MacWilliam
March 17th 04, 12:19 AM
"Paul Cassel" > wrote in message >...
> Steve Freides wrote:
> > Someone posted this link on the dragon door forum in the nutrition
> > section:
> >
> > http://www.k9power.com/fahey_insulin.htm
> >
> What next - to see how well developed your dog is, you need to shave it?
>
> -paul

Not just shave. After shaving you need to take it to the tanning
salon a few times (or microwave it if you're short of dough), then
throw on some extra tanning goop in a bottle, a little oil, teach it
how to strut and then you can tell how developed it is...

Bob

Bob MacWilliam
March 17th 04, 12:19 AM
"Paul Cassel" > wrote in message >...
> Steve Freides wrote:
> > Someone posted this link on the dragon door forum in the nutrition
> > section:
> >
> > http://www.k9power.com/fahey_insulin.htm
> >
> What next - to see how well developed your dog is, you need to shave it?
>
> -paul

Not just shave. After shaving you need to take it to the tanning
salon a few times (or microwave it if you're short of dough), then
throw on some extra tanning goop in a bottle, a little oil, teach it
how to strut and then you can tell how developed it is...

Bob

Bob MacWilliam
March 17th 04, 12:19 AM
"Paul Cassel" > wrote in message >...
> Steve Freides wrote:
> > Someone posted this link on the dragon door forum in the nutrition
> > section:
> >
> > http://www.k9power.com/fahey_insulin.htm
> >
> What next - to see how well developed your dog is, you need to shave it?
>
> -paul

Not just shave. After shaving you need to take it to the tanning
salon a few times (or microwave it if you're short of dough), then
throw on some extra tanning goop in a bottle, a little oil, teach it
how to strut and then you can tell how developed it is...

Bob

Richard Smith
March 17th 04, 02:07 AM
"Paul Cassel" > wrote in message
> Steve Freides wrote:
> > Someone posted this link on the dragon door forum in the nutrition
> > section:
> >
> > http://www.k9power.com/fahey_insulin.htm
> >
> What next - to see how well developed your dog is, you need to shave it?

And don't forget the spray on tan!

> -paul

Richard Smith
March 17th 04, 02:07 AM
"Paul Cassel" > wrote in message
> Steve Freides wrote:
> > Someone posted this link on the dragon door forum in the nutrition
> > section:
> >
> > http://www.k9power.com/fahey_insulin.htm
> >
> What next - to see how well developed your dog is, you need to shave it?

And don't forget the spray on tan!

> -paul

Richard Smith
March 17th 04, 02:07 AM
"Paul Cassel" > wrote in message
> Steve Freides wrote:
> > Someone posted this link on the dragon door forum in the nutrition
> > section:
> >
> > http://www.k9power.com/fahey_insulin.htm
> >
> What next - to see how well developed your dog is, you need to shave it?

And don't forget the spray on tan!

> -paul

Brian Link
March 17th 04, 02:15 AM
On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:04:12 -0500, "Steve Freides"
> wrote:

>Someone posted this link on the dragon door forum in the nutrition section:
>
>http://www.k9power.com/fahey_insulin.htm
>
>My wife says I bark at her sometimes - does this mean the article applies to
>me?
>
>-S-
>http://www.kbnj.com

Excerpt from my newest article:

"Most people know that testosterone and growth hormone help build your
Pileated Woodpecker's muscles. Insulin, on the other hand, is mainly
associated with sugar metabolism it helps the body move glucose from
the blood to the cells. But that's not all it does. Insulin is a
major player in muscle growth. It is an important anabolic hormone
that you can harness to help your Pileated Woodpecker's muscles grow.
Scientists have determined that properly timing increases in insulin
levels can help you put muscle growth processes in high gear.

Insulin is a hormone produced by the Islets of Langerhans in the
pancreas. Your Pileated Woodpecker's body increases insulin secretion
after a meal to help tissues take in, store, and use blood sugar
(glucose) and synthesize and store fat. Insulin also has a tremendous
effect on protein synthesis, so it is of considerable interest to
people who own performance Pileated Woodpeckers. Insulin enhances
muscle growth by increasing the rate that amino acids enter the cell,
increasing the production of RNA (a substance important in making
proteins), increasing the activity of RNA, decreasing protein
breakdown in muscle, and decreasing liver energy processes that use
amino acids as fuel (i.e., gluconeogenesis)."

BLink

> [...]

Scientists have determined that properly timing increases in insulin
levels can help you put muscle growth processes in high gear.

Insulin is a hormone produced by the Islets of Langerhans in the
pancreas. Your Pileated Woodpecker's body increases insulin secretion
after a meal to help tissues take in, store, and use blood sugar
(glucose) and synthesize and store fat. Insulin also has a tremendous
effect on protein synthesis, so it is of considerable interest to
people who own performance Pileated Woodpeckers. Insulin enhances
muscle growth by increasing the rate that amino acids enter the cell,
increasing the production of RNA (a substance important in making
proteins), increasing the activity of RNA, decreasing protein
breakdown in muscle, and decreasing liver energy processes that use
amino acids as fuel (i.e., gluconeogenesis)."

Helgi Briem
March 17th 04, 09:27 AM
On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:04:12 -0500, "Steve Freides"
> wrote:

>Someone posted this link on the dragon door forum in the nutrition section:
>
>http://www.k9power.com/fahey_insulin.htm

I wouldn't recommend it.

http://www.healthypages.net/feature.asp?newsid=3704
http://webcenter.health.webmd.netscape.com/content/article/72/81527.htm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3123545.stm

Helgi Briem
March 17th 04, 09:27 AM
On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:04:12 -0500, "Steve Freides"
> wrote:

>Someone posted this link on the dragon door forum in the nutrition section:
>
>http://www.k9power.com/fahey_insulin.htm

I wouldn't recommend it.

http://www.healthypages.net/feature.asp?newsid=3704
http://webcenter.health.webmd.netscape.com/content/article/72/81527.htm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3123545.stm

Helgi Briem
March 17th 04, 09:27 AM
On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:04:12 -0500, "Steve Freides"
> wrote:

>Someone posted this link on the dragon door forum in the nutrition section:
>
>http://www.k9power.com/fahey_insulin.htm

I wouldn't recommend it.

http://www.healthypages.net/feature.asp?newsid=3704
http://webcenter.health.webmd.netscape.com/content/article/72/81527.htm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3123545.stm

Lyle McDonald
March 17th 04, 03:04 PM
Helgi Briem wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:04:12 -0500, "Steve Freides"
> > wrote:
>

>>Someone posted this link on the dragon door forum in the nutrition section:
>>
>>http://www.k9power.com/fahey_insulin.htm
>

> I wouldn't recommend it.
>
> http://www.healthypages.net/feature.asp?newsid=3704
> http://webcenter.health.webmd.netscape.com/content/article/72/81527.htm
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3123545.stm

Do you not understand the difference in raising insulin nutritionally
and with a needle?

Nevermind, rhetorical question.

Lyle

Lyle McDonald
March 17th 04, 03:04 PM

Helgi Briem wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:04:12 -0500, "Steve Freides"
> > wrote:
>

>>Someone posted this link on the dragon door forum in the nutrition section:
>>
>>http://www.k9power.com/fahey_insulin.htm
>

> I wouldn't recommend it.
>
> http://www.healthypages.net/feature.asp?newsid=3704
> http://webcenter.health.webmd.netscape.com/content/article/72/81527.htm
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3123545.stm

Do you not understand the difference in raising insulin nutritionally
and with a needle?

Nevermind, rhetorical question.

Lyle

Helgi Briem
March 17th 04, 03:22 PM
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:04:28 -0600, Lyle McDonald
> wrote:

>Helgi Briem wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:04:12 -0500, "Steve Freides"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Someone posted this link on the dragon door forum in the nutrition section:
>>>
>>>http://www.k9power.com/fahey_insulin.htm
>>
>> I wouldn't recommend it.
>>
>> http://www.healthypages.net/feature.asp?newsid=3704
>> http://webcenter.health.webmd.netscape.com/content/article/72/81527.htm
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3123545.stm
>
>Do you not understand the difference in raising insulin nutritionally
>and with a needle?

Sorry, yeah I didn't read the original article right through,
just glanced through the buzzwords and was reminded
of some moron who was trying to get my 18 year old cousin
to inject himself with insulin "to get really cut".

I do understand the difference.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

Never worry about anything that you see on the news.
To get on the news it must be sufficiently rare
that your chances of being involved are negligible!

Helgi Briem
March 17th 04, 03:22 PM
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:04:28 -0600, Lyle McDonald
> wrote:

>Helgi Briem wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:04:12 -0500, "Steve Freides"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Someone posted this link on the dragon door forum in the nutrition section:
>>>
>>>http://www.k9power.com/fahey_insulin.htm
>>
>> I wouldn't recommend it.
>>
>> http://www.healthypages.net/feature.asp?newsid=3704
>> http://webcenter.health.webmd.netscape.com/content/article/72/81527.htm
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3123545.stm
>
>Do you not understand the difference in raising insulin nutritionally
>and with a needle?

Sorry, yeah I didn't read the original article right through,
just glanced through the buzzwords and was reminded
of some moron who was trying to get my 18 year old cousin
to inject himself with insulin "to get really cut".

I do understand the difference.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

Never worry about anything that you see on the news.
To get on the news it must be sufficiently rare
that your chances of being involved are negligible!

Helgi Briem
March 17th 04, 03:22 PM
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:04:28 -0600, Lyle McDonald
> wrote:

>Helgi Briem wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:04:12 -0500, "Steve Freides"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Someone posted this link on the dragon door forum in the nutrition section:
>>>
>>>http://www.k9power.com/fahey_insulin.htm
>>
>> I wouldn't recommend it.
>>
>> http://www.healthypages.net/feature.asp?newsid=3704
>> http://webcenter.health.webmd.netscape.com/content/article/72/81527.htm
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3123545.stm
>
>Do you not understand the difference in raising insulin nutritionally
>and with a needle?

Sorry, yeah I didn't read the original article right through,
just glanced through the buzzwords and was reminded
of some moron who was trying to get my 18 year old cousin
to inject himself with insulin "to get really cut".

I do understand the difference.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

Never worry about anything that you see on the news.
To get on the news it must be sufficiently rare
that your chances of being involved are negligible!

Dan Cosley
March 18th 04, 04:36 PM
In article <[email protected]_s03>, Lee Michaels wrote:

> "David Cohen" > wrote
>>
>> It's amazing how well a low pitched menacing growl works on people.
>>
> Panting and humping their leg is extremely effective on some folks as well.

My question is whether leg-humping is a good cardio workout.

-- Dan

--
Dan Cosley * http://www.cs.umn.edu/~cosley/)
GroupLens Research Lab, Univ of MN (http://movielens.umn.edu/ * 612.624.8372)

Dan Cosley
March 18th 04, 04:36 PM
In article <[email protected]_s03>, Lee Michaels wrote:

> "David Cohen" > wrote
>>
>> It's amazing how well a low pitched menacing growl works on people.
>>
> Panting and humping their leg is extremely effective on some folks as well.

My question is whether leg-humping is a good cardio workout.

-- Dan

--
Dan Cosley * http://www.cs.umn.edu/~cosley/)
GroupLens Research Lab, Univ of MN (http://movielens.umn.edu/ * 612.624.8372)
*** Just a foot soldier in the Army of Truth ***

Lee Michaels
March 18th 04, 04:44 PM
"Dan Cosley" wrote

> In article <[email protected]_s03>, Lee Michaels wrote:
> >
> > "David Cohen" > wrote
> >>
> >> It's amazing how well a low pitched menacing growl works on people.
> >>
> > Panting and humping their leg is extremely effective on some folks as
well.

> My question is whether leg-humping is a good cardio workout.

That would totally depend on the leg that you are humping.

Lee Michaels
March 18th 04, 04:44 PM
"Dan Cosley" wrote