PDA

View Full Version : Running alternatives

UnDupable
March 17th 04, 06:18 PM
Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and down my
flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family shot that idea
down.

Would it be possible to take some kind of crate, put it face down on the
floor and use it as a poor-mans stairmaster?

UnDupable
March 17th 04, 06:24 PM
"Wayne S. Hill" > wrote in message
> UnDupable wrote:
>
> > Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what
> > the best alternatives were? For example, last night I
> > started jogging up and down my flight of stairs, but they
> > creek pretty loudly so the family shot that idea down.
> >
> > Would it be possible to take some kind of crate, put it face
> > down on the floor and use it as a poor-mans stairmaster?
>
> Yeesh. Way too boring.

I'm not really concerned with boredom.

> How about skipping rope? It's still boring, but does have its
> own esthetic.

Still too cold out.

UnDupable
March 17th 04, 06:24 PM
"Wayne S. Hill" > wrote in message
> UnDupable wrote:
>
> > Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what
> > the best alternatives were? For example, last night I
> > started jogging up and down my flight of stairs, but they
> > creek pretty loudly so the family shot that idea down.
> >
> > Would it be possible to take some kind of crate, put it face
> > down on the floor and use it as a poor-mans stairmaster?
>
> Yeesh. Way too boring.

I'm not really concerned with boredom.

> How about skipping rope? It's still boring, but does have its
> own esthetic.

Still too cold out.

UnDupable
March 17th 04, 06:24 PM
"Wayne S. Hill" > wrote in message
> UnDupable wrote:
>
> > Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what
> > the best alternatives were? For example, last night I
> > started jogging up and down my flight of stairs, but they
> > creek pretty loudly so the family shot that idea down.
> >
> > Would it be possible to take some kind of crate, put it face
> > down on the floor and use it as a poor-mans stairmaster?
>
> Yeesh. Way too boring.

I'm not really concerned with boredom.

> How about skipping rope? It's still boring, but does have its
> own esthetic.

Still too cold out.

Wayne S. Hill
March 17th 04, 06:29 PM

--
-Wayne

Wayne S. Hill
March 17th 04, 06:29 PM

UnDupable wrote:

> Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what
> the best alternatives were? For example, last night I
> started jogging up and down my flight of stairs, but they
> creek pretty loudly so the family shot that idea down.
>
> Would it be possible to take some kind of crate, put it face
> down on the floor and use it as a poor-mans stairmaster?

Yeesh. Way too boring.

How about skipping rope? It's still boring, but does have its
own esthetic.

--
-Wayne

Wayne S. Hill
March 17th 04, 06:33 PM
UnDupable wrote:

> "Wayne S. Hill" > wrote...
>>
>> How about skipping rope? It's still boring, but does have
>> its own esthetic.
>>

> Still too cold out.

Skip indoors.

--
-Wayne

Wayne S. Hill
March 17th 04, 06:33 PM
UnDupable wrote:

> "Wayne S. Hill" > wrote...
>>
>> How about skipping rope? It's still boring, but does have
>> its own esthetic.
>>

> Still too cold out.

Skip indoors.

--
-Wayne

Wayne S. Hill
March 17th 04, 06:33 PM
UnDupable wrote:

> "Wayne S. Hill" > wrote...
>>
>> How about skipping rope? It's still boring, but does have
>> its own esthetic.
>>

> Still too cold out.

Skip indoors.

--
-Wayne

Keith Hobman
March 17th 04, 06:48 PM
In article >, "UnDupable"
> wrote:

> Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
> alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and down my
> flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family shot that idea
> down.
>
> Would it be possible to take some kind of crate, put it face down on the
> floor and use it as a poor-mans stairmaster?

Dood.

Check it out.

http://www.cbass.com/Furey.htm

--
Dawn's cold kiss calls me
Forth I creep, blindly stumbling

Keith Hobman
March 17th 04, 06:48 PM
In article >, "UnDupable"
> wrote:

> Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
> alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and down my
> flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family shot that idea
> down.
>
> Would it be possible to take some kind of crate, put it face down on the
> floor and use it as a poor-mans stairmaster?

Dood.

Check it out.

http://www.cbass.com/Furey.htm

--
Dawn's cold kiss calls me
Forth I creep, blindly stumbling
Joy: Morning workouts.
Hugh Beyer's 'Haiku On Returning To Weights'

Keith Hobman
March 17th 04, 06:48 PM
In article >, "UnDupable"
> wrote:

> Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
> alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and down my
> flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family shot that idea
> down.
>
> Would it be possible to take some kind of crate, put it face down on the
> floor and use it as a poor-mans stairmaster?

Dood.

Check it out.

http://www.cbass.com/Furey.htm

--
Dawn's cold kiss calls me
Forth I creep, blindly stumbling
Joy: Morning workouts.
Hugh Beyer's 'Haiku On Returning To Weights'

Neil Gendzwill
March 17th 04, 07:09 PM
UnDupable wrote:

> Since it's too cold to run where I am

Where are you that it's too cold to run? I run at -15 C (5 F) and I'm
considered a wimp by local standards.

Neil

Neil Gendzwill
March 17th 04, 07:09 PM

UnDupable wrote:

> Since it's too cold to run where I am

Where are you that it's too cold to run? I run at -15 C (5 F) and I'm
considered a wimp by local standards.

Neil

Keith Hobman
March 17th 04, 07:14 PM
In article >, Neil Gendzwill
> wrote:

> UnDupable wrote:
>
> > Since it's too cold to run where I am
>
> Where are you that it's too cold to run? I run at -15 C (5 F) and I'm
> considered a wimp by local standards.

I used to run marathons and ran all winter here in Saskatoon - doing up to
6 miles in -40 weather on occasion. It wasn't the cold that was the
problem, it was the footing. If I did it again I would only run on decent
surfaces.

And, yes, you had to dress for it. Which was a pain in the butt.

--
Dawn's cold kiss calls me
Forth I creep, blindly stumbling
Joy: Morning workouts.
Hugh Beyer's 'Haiku On Returning To Weights'

Keith Hobman
March 17th 04, 07:14 PM
In article >, Neil Gendzwill
> wrote:

> UnDupable wrote:
>
> > Since it's too cold to run where I am
>
> Where are you that it's too cold to run? I run at -15 C (5 F) and I'm
> considered a wimp by local standards.

I used to run marathons and ran all winter here in Saskatoon - doing up to
6 miles in -40 weather on occasion. It wasn't the cold that was the
problem, it was the footing. If I did it again I would only run on decent
surfaces.

And, yes, you had to dress for it. Which was a pain in the butt.

--
Dawn's cold kiss calls me
Forth I creep, blindly stumbling
Joy: Morning workouts.
Hugh Beyer's 'Haiku On Returning To Weights'

Keith Hobman
March 17th 04, 07:14 PM
In article >, Neil Gendzwill
> wrote:

> UnDupable wrote:
>
> > Since it's too cold to run where I am
>
> Where are you that it's too cold to run? I run at -15 C (5 F) and I'm
> considered a wimp by local standards.

I used to run marathons and ran all winter here in Saskatoon - doing up to
6 miles in -40 weather on occasion. It wasn't the cold that was the
problem, it was the footing. If I did it again I would only run on decent
surfaces.

And, yes, you had to dress for it. Which was a pain in the butt.

--
Dawn's cold kiss calls me
Forth I creep, blindly stumbling
Joy: Morning workouts.
Hugh Beyer's 'Haiku On Returning To Weights'

Neil Gendzwill
March 17th 04, 07:20 PM
Keith Hobman wrote:

> I used to run marathons and ran all winter here in Saskatoon - doing up to
> 6 miles in -40 weather on occasion. It wasn't the cold that was the
> problem, it was the footing. If I did it again I would only run on decent
> surfaces.

They keep the MVA trails pretty decent these days, although it's a drag
if you have to run on the roads or sidewalks.

> And, yes, you had to dress for it. Which was a pain in the butt.

Light long underwear, winter running tights and shirt, 200 weight polar
fleece, done. Drop the fleece if it's much warmer than -10C. I don't
go out in under -15 so it's not so much of a hassle but I guess I'd add
some goretex and a balaclava for colder weather. If I was training for
marathons I'd have no choice, got to get those miles in.

Neil

Neil Gendzwill
March 17th 04, 07:20 PM

Keith Hobman wrote:

> I used to run marathons and ran all winter here in Saskatoon - doing up to
> 6 miles in -40 weather on occasion. It wasn't the cold that was the
> problem, it was the footing. If I did it again I would only run on decent
> surfaces.

They keep the MVA trails pretty decent these days, although it's a drag
if you have to run on the roads or sidewalks.

> And, yes, you had to dress for it. Which was a pain in the butt.

Light long underwear, winter running tights and shirt, 200 weight polar
fleece, done. Drop the fleece if it's much warmer than -10C. I don't
go out in under -15 so it's not so much of a hassle but I guess I'd add
some goretex and a balaclava for colder weather. If I was training for
marathons I'd have no choice, got to get those miles in.

Neil

Bill Quinnan
March 17th 04, 07:25 PM
"UnDupable" > wrote in message
> Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
> alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and down
my
> flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family shot that
idea
> down.
>
> Would it be possible to take some kind of crate, put it face down on the
> floor and use it as a poor-mans stairmaster?

We have an elliptical trainer in the garage -- comes in very handy when I
don't have time to get to the gym.

Bill Quinnan
March 17th 04, 07:25 PM

"UnDupable" > wrote in message
> Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
> alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and down
my
> flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family shot that
idea
> down.
>
> Would it be possible to take some kind of crate, put it face down on the
> floor and use it as a poor-mans stairmaster?

We have an elliptical trainer in the garage -- comes in very handy when I
don't have time to get to the gym.

UnDupable
March 17th 04, 07:44 PM
"Wayne S. Hill" > wrote in message
> UnDupable wrote:
>
> > "Wayne S. Hill" > wrote...
> >>
> >> How about skipping rope? It's still boring, but does have
> >> its own esthetic.
> >>

> > Still too cold out.
>
> Skip indoors.

What part of freezing cold, snow, sleet and ice don't you understand?

UnDupable
March 17th 04, 07:44 PM
"Wayne S. Hill" > wrote in message
> UnDupable wrote:
>
> > "Wayne S. Hill" > wrote...
> >>
> >> How about skipping rope? It's still boring, but does have
> >> its own esthetic.
> >>

> > Still too cold out.
>
> Skip indoors.

What part of freezing cold, snow, sleet and ice don't you understand?

UnDupable
March 17th 04, 07:44 PM
"Wayne S. Hill" > wrote in message
> UnDupable wrote:
>
> > "Wayne S. Hill" > wrote...
> >>
> >> How about skipping rope? It's still boring, but does have
> >> its own esthetic.
> >>

> > Still too cold out.
>
> Skip indoors.

What part of freezing cold, snow, sleet and ice don't you understand?

UnDupable
March 17th 04, 07:45 PM
"Neil Gendzwill" > wrote in message
> UnDupable wrote:
>
> > Since it's too cold to run where I am
>
> Where are you that it's too cold to run? I run at -15 C (5 F) and I'm
> considered a wimp by local standards.

I thought the cold front here in NYC was over, but I was wrong. I was
freezing my ass off as I shoveled today.

UnDupable
March 17th 04, 07:45 PM
"Neil Gendzwill" > wrote in message
> UnDupable wrote:
>
> > Since it's too cold to run where I am
>
> Where are you that it's too cold to run? I run at -15 C (5 F) and I'm
> considered a wimp by local standards.

I thought the cold front here in NYC was over, but I was wrong. I was
freezing my ass off as I shoveled today.

UnDupable
March 17th 04, 07:45 PM
"Neil Gendzwill" > wrote in message
> UnDupable wrote:
>
> > Since it's too cold to run where I am
>
> Where are you that it's too cold to run? I run at -15 C (5 F) and I'm
> considered a wimp by local standards.

I thought the cold front here in NYC was over, but I was wrong. I was
freezing my ass off as I shoveled today.

geek_girl
March 17th 04, 07:58 PM
UnDupable wrote:

> "Wayne S. Hill" > wrote in message
>
>>UnDupable wrote:
>>

>>>"Wayne S. Hill" > wrote...

>>>Still too cold out.
>>
>>Skip indoors.
>>

> What part of freezing cold, snow, sleet and ice don't you understand?

What part of "indoors" don't you understand?

geek_girl
March 17th 04, 07:58 PM

UnDupable wrote:

> "Wayne S. Hill" > wrote in message
>
>>UnDupable wrote:
>>

>>>"Wayne S. Hill" > wrote...

>>>Still too cold out.
>>
>>Skip indoors.
>>

> What part of freezing cold, snow, sleet and ice don't you understand?

What part of "indoors" don't you understand?

John HUDSON
March 17th 04, 08:08 PM
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:18:43 GMT, "UnDupable" >
wrote:

>Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
>alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and down my
>flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family shot that idea
>down.
>
>Would it be possible to take some kind of crate, put it face down on the
>floor and use it as a poor-mans stairmaster?

If you are looking for a CV exercise indoors and are pressed for
space, you may care to try "burpees", which are a very strong exercise
which can be done in intervals, for as long as you are able to do
them.

There is of course running on the spot, which I somehow always thought
a little ridiculous, but it can be done with variations such as: with
high knee lift, with high heel raise, sprinting on the spot, astride
jumping, alternate leg forward and back with high arm lift, hopping on
alternate legs, 'bunny hops', Cossack leg circles and squat thrusts.

Try shadow boxing, which can be very demanding, and for a little fun
try doing the "twist" to music. You may look and feel bit of a pratt,
but make sure no-one is watching, and enjoy the exercise!! ;o)

wrote:

>Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
>alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and down my
>flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family shot that idea
>down.
>
>Would it be possible to take some kind of crate, put it face down on the
>floor and use it as a poor-mans stairmaster?

If you are looking for a CV exercise indoors and are pressed for
space, you may care to try "burpees", which are a very strong exercise
which can be done in intervals, for as long as you are able to do
them.

There is of course running on the spot, which I somehow always thought
a little ridiculous, but it can be done with variations such as: with
high knee lift, with high heel raise, sprinting on the spot, astride
jumping, alternate leg forward and back with high arm lift, hopping on
alternate legs, 'bunny hops', Cossack leg circles and squat thrusts.

Try shadow boxing, which can be very demanding, and for a little fun
try doing the "twist" to music. You may look and feel bit of a pratt,
but make sure no-one is watching, and enjoy the exercise!! ;o)

gman99
March 17th 04, 08:09 PM
"UnDupable" > wrote:
> Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
> alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and down
> my flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family shot that
> idea down.
>
> Would it be possible to take some kind of crate, put it face down on the
> floor and use it as a poor-mans stairmaster?

Are you actually in NYC ? If so, find a public building and walk / jog /
run up and down the stairs....

gman99
March 17th 04, 08:09 PM

"UnDupable" > wrote:
> Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
> alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and down
> my flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family shot that
> idea down.
>
> Would it be possible to take some kind of crate, put it face down on the
> floor and use it as a poor-mans stairmaster?

Are you actually in NYC ? If so, find a public building and walk / jog /
run up and down the stairs....

Watson Davis
March 17th 04, 08:12 PM
"UnDupable" > wrote in news:eU16c.20381$c73.7494228
@twister.nyc.rr.com:

> "Wayne S. Hill" > wrote in message
>> UnDupable wrote:
>>
>> > "Wayne S. Hill" > wrote...

>> > Still too cold out.
>>
>> Skip indoors.
>>

> What part of freezing cold, snow, sleet and ice don't you understand?

Which part of indoors didn't you understand?

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Watson Davis
March 17th 04, 08:12 PM
"UnDupable" > wrote in news:eU16c.20381$c73.7494228
@twister.nyc.rr.com:

> "Wayne S. Hill" > wrote in message
>> UnDupable wrote:
>>
>> > "Wayne S. Hill" > wrote...

>> > Still too cold out.
>>
>> Skip indoors.
>>

> What part of freezing cold, snow, sleet and ice don't you understand?

Which part of indoors didn't you understand?

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Watson Davis
March 17th 04, 08:12 PM
"UnDupable" > wrote in news:eU16c.20381$c73.7494228
@twister.nyc.rr.com:

> "Wayne S. Hill" > wrote in message
>> UnDupable wrote:
>>
>> > "Wayne S. Hill" > wrote...

>> > Still too cold out.
>>
>> Skip indoors.
>>

> What part of freezing cold, snow, sleet and ice don't you understand?

Which part of indoors didn't you understand?

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Watson Davis
March 17th 04, 08:13 PM
geek_girl > wrote in news:3626c.6561$_4.359
@www.newsranger.com:

> UnDupable wrote:

>>>Skip indoors.
>>>

>> What part of freezing cold, snow, sleet and ice don't you understand?
>
> What part of "indoors" don't you understand?

You are me and I are you.

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Watson Davis
March 17th 04, 08:13 PM
geek_girl > wrote in news:3626c.6561$_4.359
@www.newsranger.com:

> UnDupable wrote:

>>>Skip indoors.
>>>

>> What part of freezing cold, snow, sleet and ice don't you understand?
>
> What part of "indoors" don't you understand?

You are me and I are you.

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Watson Davis
March 17th 04, 08:13 PM
geek_girl > wrote in news:3626c.6561$_4.359
@www.newsranger.com:

> UnDupable wrote:

>>>Skip indoors.
>>>

>> What part of freezing cold, snow, sleet and ice don't you understand?
>
> What part of "indoors" don't you understand?

You are me and I are you.

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Neil Gendzwill
March 17th 04, 08:15 PM
UnDupable wrote:

> "Neil Gendzwill" > wrote in message
>
>>UnDupable wrote:
>>

>>>Since it's too cold to run where I am
>>
>>Where are you that it's too cold to run? I run at -15 C (5 F) and I'm
>>considered a wimp by local standards.
>>

> I thought the cold front here in NYC was over, but I was wrong. I was
> freezing my ass off as I shoveled today.

According to CNN it's -1 C. Butch the **** up.

Neil "getting into that mfw spirit" Gendzwill

Neil Gendzwill
March 17th 04, 08:15 PM

UnDupable wrote:

> "Neil Gendzwill" > wrote in message
>
>>UnDupable wrote:
>>

>>>Since it's too cold to run where I am
>>
>>Where are you that it's too cold to run? I run at -15 C (5 F) and I'm
>>considered a wimp by local standards.
>>

> I thought the cold front here in NYC was over, but I was wrong. I was
> freezing my ass off as I shoveled today.

According to CNN it's -1 C. Butch the **** up.

Neil "getting into that mfw spirit" Gendzwill

Bob Falooley
March 17th 04, 08:16 PM
UnDupable wrote:

> Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
> alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and down
> my flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family shot that
> idea down.
>
> Would it be possible to take some kind of crate, put it face down on the
> floor and use it as a poor-mans stairmaster?

Are you looking for cadrio? Strength? You can do a little of both. Do a 4
minute drill. 1 minute mountain climbers, 1 minute knee pushups, 1 minute
situps, 1 minute leglifts.

As you get better ad more drills in, eventually it will be a 10 minute
drill. you might need an excercise matt. I don't know what kind of shape
you are in, if you want to do more than one of these I would allow enough
rest between them to let your heartrate return to normal and you to catch
your breath.

--Falooley

Bob Falooley
March 17th 04, 08:16 PM

UnDupable wrote:

> Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
> alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and down
> my flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family shot that
> idea down.
>
> Would it be possible to take some kind of crate, put it face down on the
> floor and use it as a poor-mans stairmaster?

Are you looking for cadrio? Strength? You can do a little of both. Do a 4
minute drill. 1 minute mountain climbers, 1 minute knee pushups, 1 minute
situps, 1 minute leglifts.

As you get better ad more drills in, eventually it will be a 10 minute
drill. you might need an excercise matt. I don't know what kind of shape
you are in, if you want to do more than one of these I would allow enough
rest between them to let your heartrate return to normal and you to catch
your breath.

--Falooley

gman99
March 17th 04, 08:21 PM
> According to CNN it's -1 C. Butch the **** up.
>
> Neil "getting into that mfw spirit" Gendzwill

-1C....I'd kill for -1 C...it's a good -10 C here, -18 C with the
windchill...and it's freakin' March !!

gman99
March 17th 04, 08:21 PM
> According to CNN it's -1 C. Butch the **** up.
>
> Neil "getting into that mfw spirit" Gendzwill

-1C....I'd kill for -1 C...it's a good -10 C here, -18 C with the
windchill...and it's freakin' March !!

gman99
March 17th 04, 08:21 PM
> According to CNN it's -1 C. Butch the **** up.
>
> Neil "getting into that mfw spirit" Gendzwill

-1C....I'd kill for -1 C...it's a good -10 C here, -18 C with the
windchill...and it's freakin' March !!

John HUDSON
March 17th 04, 08:23 PM
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:16:05 -0500, Bob Falooley >
wrote:

>UnDupable wrote:
>
>> Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
>> alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and down
>> my flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family shot that
>> idea down.
>>
>> Would it be possible to take some kind of crate, put it face down on the
>> floor and use it as a poor-mans stairmaster?
>

>Are you looking for cadrio? Strength? You can do a little of both. Do a 4
>minute drill. 1 minute mountain climbers, 1 minute knee pushups, 1 minute
>situps, 1 minute leglifts.
>
>As you get better ad more drills in, eventually it will be a 10 minute
>drill. you might need an excercise matt. I don't know what kind of shape
>you are in, if you want to do more than one of these I would allow enough
>rest between them to let your heartrate return to normal and you to catch
>your breath.

This is good advice Bob; he could move up to a full free-standing
circuit training session, with as many reps and sets as he is able to
do!!

wrote:

>UnDupable wrote:
>
>> Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
>> alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and down
>> my flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family shot that
>> idea down.
>>
>> Would it be possible to take some kind of crate, put it face down on the
>> floor and use it as a poor-mans stairmaster?
>

>Are you looking for cadrio? Strength? You can do a little of both. Do a 4
>minute drill. 1 minute mountain climbers, 1 minute knee pushups, 1 minute
>situps, 1 minute leglifts.
>
>As you get better ad more drills in, eventually it will be a 10 minute
>drill. you might need an excercise matt. I don't know what kind of shape
>you are in, if you want to do more than one of these I would allow enough
>rest between them to let your heartrate return to normal and you to catch
>your breath.

This is good advice Bob; he could move up to a full free-standing
circuit training session, with as many reps and sets as he is able to
do!!

Donovan Rebbechi
March 17th 04, 08:33 PM
In article >, UnDupable wrote:
> Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
> alternatives were?

Too cold to run ? It's March already. Do you live in the North Pole or
something ?

I live in New York city, and it doesn't get "too cold to run" at any time
of year around here.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

Donovan Rebbechi
March 17th 04, 08:33 PM

In article >, UnDupable wrote:
> Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
> alternatives were?

Too cold to run ? It's March already. Do you live in the North Pole or
something ?

I live in New York city, and it doesn't get "too cold to run" at any time
of year around here.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

Donovan Rebbechi
March 17th 04, 08:36 PM
In article >, UnDupable wrote:

> "Neil Gendzwill" > wrote in message
>> UnDupable wrote:
>>
>> > Since it's too cold to run where I am
>>
>> Where are you that it's too cold to run? I run at -15 C (5 F) and I'm
>> considered a wimp by local standards.
>>

> I thought the cold front here in NYC was over, but I was wrong. I was
> freezing my ass off as I shoveled today.

You're in NYC ? That's where I am and I've been running all winter.

I competed in a half-marathon on Sunday, and I wore shorts and a singlet, hat
and gloves. I was cold before the race, but just fine after the first mile.

Anyway, make sure you have a hat and gloves, and long sleeves. You'll be fine.

Cheers,
--

In article >, UnDupable wrote:

> "Neil Gendzwill" > wrote in message
>> UnDupable wrote:
>>
>> > Since it's too cold to run where I am
>>
>> Where are you that it's too cold to run? I run at -15 C (5 F) and I'm
>> considered a wimp by local standards.
>>

> I thought the cold front here in NYC was over, but I was wrong. I was
> freezing my ass off as I shoveled today.

You're in NYC ? That's where I am and I've been running all winter.

I competed in a half-marathon on Sunday, and I wore shorts and a singlet, hat
and gloves. I was cold before the race, but just fine after the first mile.

Anyway, make sure you have a hat and gloves, and long sleeves. You'll be fine.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

Keith Hobman
March 17th 04, 08:41 PM
In article >, Donovan Rebbechi
> wrote:

> In article >, UnDupable wrote:

> >> Where are you that it's too cold to run? I run at -15 C (5 F) and I'm
> >> considered a wimp by local standards.
> >>

> > I thought the cold front here in NYC was over, but I was wrong. I was
> > freezing my ass off as I shoveled today.
>
> You're in NYC ? That's where I am and I've been running all winter.
>
> I competed in a half-marathon on Sunday, and I wore shorts and a singlet, hat
> and gloves. I was cold before the race, but just fine after the first mile.

WT...

Where is the time and race report? Are you slacking off on us?

--
Dawn's cold kiss calls me
Forth I creep, blindly stumbling
Joy: Morning workouts.
Hugh Beyer's 'Haiku On Returning To Weights'

Keith Hobman
March 17th 04, 08:41 PM
In article >, Donovan Rebbechi
> wrote:

> In article >, UnDupable wrote:

> >> Where are you that it's too cold to run? I run at -15 C (5 F) and I'm
> >> considered a wimp by local standards.
> >>

> > I thought the cold front here in NYC was over, but I was wrong. I was
> > freezing my ass off as I shoveled today.
>
> You're in NYC ? That's where I am and I've been running all winter.
>
> I competed in a half-marathon on Sunday, and I wore shorts and a singlet, hat
> and gloves. I was cold before the race, but just fine after the first mile.

WT...

Where is the time and race report? Are you slacking off on us?

--
Dawn's cold kiss calls me
Forth I creep, blindly stumbling
Joy: Morning workouts.
Hugh Beyer's 'Haiku On Returning To Weights'

Keith Hobman
March 17th 04, 08:41 PM
In article >, Donovan Rebbechi
> wrote:

> In article >, UnDupable wrote:

> >> Where are you that it's too cold to run? I run at -15 C (5 F) and I'm
> >> considered a wimp by local standards.
> >>

> > I thought the cold front here in NYC was over, but I was wrong. I was
> > freezing my ass off as I shoveled today.
>
> You're in NYC ? That's where I am and I've been running all winter.
>
> I competed in a half-marathon on Sunday, and I wore shorts and a singlet, hat
> and gloves. I was cold before the race, but just fine after the first mile.

WT...

Where is the time and race report? Are you slacking off on us?

--
Dawn's cold kiss calls me
Forth I creep, blindly stumbling
Joy: Morning workouts.
Hugh Beyer's 'Haiku On Returning To Weights'

Hoff
March 17th 04, 09:06 PM
"Watson Davis" > wrote in message
2.213...
> geek_girl > wrote in news:3626c.6561$_4.359
> @www.newsranger.com:
>
> > UnDupable wrote:

> >> What part of freezing cold, snow, sleet and ice don't you understand?
> >
> > What part of "indoors" don't you understand?
>
> You are me and I are you.

And we are all together? (well, it was close, anyways)

Hoff

Hoff
March 17th 04, 09:06 PM
"Watson Davis" > wrote in message
2.213...
> geek_girl > wrote in news:3626c.6561$_4.359
> @www.newsranger.com:
>
> > UnDupable wrote:

> >> What part of freezing cold, snow, sleet and ice don't you understand?
> >
> > What part of "indoors" don't you understand?
>
> You are me and I are you.

And we are all together? (well, it was close, anyways)

Hoff

Hoff
March 17th 04, 09:06 PM
"Watson Davis" > wrote in message
2.213...
> geek_girl > wrote in news:3626c.6561$_4.359
> @www.newsranger.com:
>
> > UnDupable wrote:

> >> What part of freezing cold, snow, sleet and ice don't you understand?
> >
> > What part of "indoors" don't you understand?
>
> You are me and I are you.

And we are all together? (well, it was close, anyways)

Hoff

Kevin J
March 17th 04, 09:09 PM
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 21:06:54 GMT, "Hoff" >
wrote:

>> You are me and I are you.
>
>And we are all together? (well, it was close, anyways)

Yes, sure. But who here is the walrus?

wrote:

>> You are me and I are you.
>
>And we are all together? (well, it was close, anyways)

Yes, sure. But who here is the walrus?

John Dunlop
March 17th 04, 09:14 PM
geek_girl wrote:

> UnDupable wrote:
>
> > "Wayne S. Hill" > wrote in message
> >
> > > Skip indoors.
> >
> > What part of freezing cold, snow, sleet and ice don't you understand?

Skip for half an hour outside, then see how cold you feel. :-)

> What part of "indoors" don't you understand?

Mrs UnDupable's "indoors" may be a cardboard box, which affords
little protection from the unendurable elements. She ought to
consider upgrading to the stauncher, fully duct-taped version for a
not inconsiderable fee; it comes with free delivery right to one's
door.

--
Jock

John Dunlop
March 17th 04, 09:14 PM

In article >, Keith Hobman wrote:
> In article >, Donovan Rebbechi
> wrote:

>> I competed in a half-marathon on Sunday, and I wore shorts and a singlet, hat
>> and gloves. I was cold before the race, but just fine after the first mile.
>
> WT...
>
> Where is the time and race report? Are you slacking off on us?

On rec.running (-; I didn't know anyone here cared about the "weenie
stuff" here. I suppose I haven't reported on a race since my debut in Sept 02,
where I ran a 5k at about 6:30 pace, so I may as well write about this one:

The short version:
Race: The Colon Cancer Challenge, my first half marathon.
Time: 1:21:49, or 6:14 per mile, 72.9% WAVA (0.1% off my best which was a 4
miler)
Temperature: 34 deg f
Course: 2 and a little bit loops of central park, finish same as NY marathon
Crowd support: Fantastic! Teammates all over the course including Bob Glover
(our team coach) who was jogging around in the opposite direction and rallying
the troops.
Shoes: Asics Tiger Paws. I don't recommend flats for general training, but they
are fantastic for racing in. Anyone under 7:00 pace should be using them.
Place: 64 (age group 31st). This is a club points race, so all the fast runners
showed up.
Splits: Loop 1: 6:15 6:26 6:11 6:17 6:19 6:09
Loop 2: 6:14 6:21 6:12 6:15 6:24 6:04
Loop 3: 5:59 0:38
Despite freezing my butt off before the race, I felt pretty comfortable for
the most part, even though I spilt water on myself at the drink stations. Ran
with a more experienced teammate for miles 3-11, before taking off for a fast
finish on the last two miles.

They don't have pictures from this race yet, so I'm posting a shot from a track
meet (yeah, I'm skinny but I've still got better legs than a lot of the gym
rats ;-)
http://www.pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/running/images/armory_04.jpg

Cheers,
--
> [...]

the troops.
Shoes: Asics Tiger Paws. I don't recommend flats for general training, but they
are fantastic for racing in. Anyone under 7:00 pace should be using them.
Place: 64 (age group 31st). This is a club points race, so all the fast runners
showed up.
Splits: Loop 1: 6:15 6:26 6:11 6:17 6:19 6:09
Loop 2: 6:14 6:21 6:12 6:15 6:24 6:04
Loop 3: 5:59 0:38
Despite freezing my butt off before the race, I felt pretty comfortable for
the most part, even though I spilt water on myself at the drink stations. Ran
with a more experienced teammate for miles 3-11, before taking off for a fast
finish on the last two miles.

They don't have pictures from this race yet, so I'm posting a shot from a track
meet (yeah, I'm skinny but I've still got better legs than a lot of the gym

March 17th 04, 09:17 PM
(gman99) wrote in news:20040317152137.432
:

>> According to CNN it's -1 C. Butch the **** up.
>>
>> Neil "getting into that mfw spirit" Gendzwill
>
> -1C....I'd kill for -1 C...it's a good -10 C here, -18 C with the
> windchill...and it's freakin' March !!

Ah, you guys don't even know from tough.

It's 88 degrees here at the base of the mountain. Luckily, I'm on a hill
so the temperature's a little cooler. I'd say it's about 75 degrees.

All my windows are open and the birds are singing. And my cats have
brought in lizards and are watching them flail about on the tile floor.

Yep.

Life's tough.

Whew, I better go down and get a DDP before I die of thirst.

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Watson Davis
March 17th 04, 09:17 PM
(gman99) wrote in news:20040317152137.432
:

>> According to CNN it's -1 C. Butch the **** up.
>>
>> Neil "getting into that mfw spirit" Gendzwill
>
> -1C....I'd kill for -1 C...it's a good -10 C here, -18 C with the
> windchill...and it's freakin' March !!

Ah, you guys don't even know from tough.

It's 88 degrees here at the base of the mountain. Luckily, I'm on a hill
so the temperature's a little cooler. I'd say it's about 75 degrees.

All my windows are open and the birds are singing. And my cats have
brought in lizards and are watching them flail about on the tile floor.

Yep.

Life's tough.

Whew, I better go down and get a DDP before I die of thirst.

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Watson Davis
March 17th 04, 09:17 PM
(gman99) wrote in news:20040317152137.432
:

>> According to CNN it's -1 C. Butch the **** up.
>>
>> Neil "getting into that mfw spirit" Gendzwill
>
> -1C....I'd kill for -1 C...it's a good -10 C here, -18 C with the
> windchill...and it's freakin' March !!

Ah, you guys don't even know from tough.

It's 88 degrees here at the base of the mountain. Luckily, I'm on a hill
so the temperature's a little cooler. I'd say it's about 75 degrees.

All my windows are open and the birds are singing. And my cats have
brought in lizards and are watching them flail about on the tile floor.

Yep.

Life's tough.

Whew, I better go down and get a DDP before I die of thirst.

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Keith Hobman
March 17th 04, 09:24 PM
In article >, Donovan Rebbechi
> wrote:

> In article >, Keith Hobman wrote:
> > In article >, Donovan Rebbechi
> > wrote:
>
> >> I competed in a half-marathon on Sunday, and I wore shorts and a
singlet, hat
> >> and gloves. I was cold before the race, but just fine after the first mile.
> >
> > WT...
> >
> > Where is the time and race report? Are you slacking off on us?
>
> On rec.running (-; I didn't know anyone here cared about the "weenie
> stuff" here. I suppose I haven't reported on a race since my debut in Sept 02,
> where I ran a 5k at about 6:30 pace, so I may as well write about this one:
>
> The short version:
> Race: The Colon Cancer Challenge, my first half marathon.
> Time: 1:21:49, or 6:14 per mile, 72.9% WAVA (0.1% off my best which was a 4
> miler)
> Temperature: 34 deg f
> Course: 2 and a little bit loops of central park, finish same as NY marathon
> Crowd support: Fantastic! Teammates all over the course including Bob Glover
> (our team coach) who was jogging around in the opposite direction and rallying
> the troops.
> Shoes: Asics Tiger Paws. I don't recommend flats for general training,
but they
> are fantastic for racing in. Anyone under 7:00 pace should be using them.
> Place: 64 (age group 31st). This is a club points race, so all the fast
runners
> showed up.
> Splits: Loop 1: 6:15 6:26 6:11 6:17 6:19 6:09
> Loop 2: 6:14 6:21 6:12 6:15 6:24 6:04
> Loop 3: 5:59 0:38
> Despite freezing my butt off before the race, I felt pretty comfortable for
> the most part, even though I spilt water on myself at the drink stations. Ran
> with a more experienced teammate for miles 3-11, before taking off for a fast
> finish on the last two miles.
>
> They don't have pictures from this race yet, so I'm posting a shot from
a track
> meet (yeah, I'm skinny but I've still got better legs than a lot of the gym
> rats ;-)
> http://www.pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/running/images/armory_04.jpg

Remember, the .fitness part is important.

Dayum. That is getting pretty fast. I never managed to average under a
6:30 pace at anything over 5K, so your getting way out of my league.

--
> [...]

> the most part, even though I spilt water on myself at the drink stations. Ran
> with a more experienced teammate for miles 3-11, before taking off for a fast
> finish on the last two miles.
>
> They don't have pictures from this race yet, so I'm posting a shot from
a track
> meet (yeah, I'm skinny but I've still got better legs than a lot of the gym
> rats ;-)
> http://www.pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/running/images/armory_04.jpg

Remember, the .fitness part is important.

Dayum. That is getting pretty fast. I never managed to average under a
6:30 pace at anything over 5K, so your getting way out of my league.

--
Dawn's cold kiss calls me
Forth I creep, blindly stumbling
Joy: Morning workouts.
Hugh Beyer's 'Haiku On Returning To Weights'

March 17th 04, 09:27 PM
Watson Davis wrote:
> "UnDupable" > wrote:

>>> Skip indoors.
>>
>> What part of freezing cold, snow, sleet and ice don't you
>> understand?
>
> Which part of indoors didn't you understand?
>
> Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Yeah, what he, uh, I said.

--
-Wayne

Wayne S. Hill
March 17th 04, 09:27 PM

Watson Davis wrote:
> "UnDupable" > wrote:

>>> Skip indoors.
>>
>> What part of freezing cold, snow, sleet and ice don't you
>> understand?
>
> Which part of indoors didn't you understand?
>
> Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Yeah, what he, uh, I said.

--
-Wayne

black_ice
March 17th 04, 10:39 PM
In article >, geek_girl
> wrote:

> UnDupable wrote:

> >>Skip indoors.
> >>
> > What part of freezing cold, snow, sleet and ice don't you understand?
>
> What part of "indoors" don't you understand?

You can't change the weather so why doesn't he just go with it and ski,
or snowboard, or take a hike in snowshoes or skate on a frozen lake.

Hell, you can get studded tires for a mountain bike.

Use what you're given and quit bitching about the weather.

What is it that Schuh says, "Butch the f*ck up"

Seems apropos.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an
invincible summer."
Albert Camus

black_ice
March 17th 04, 10:39 PM
In article >, geek_girl
> wrote:

> UnDupable wrote:

> >>Skip indoors.
> >>
> > What part of freezing cold, snow, sleet and ice don't you understand?
>
> What part of "indoors" don't you understand?

You can't change the weather so why doesn't he just go with it and ski,
or snowboard, or take a hike in snowshoes or skate on a frozen lake.

Hell, you can get studded tires for a mountain bike.

Use what you're given and quit bitching about the weather.

What is it that Schuh says, "Butch the f*ck up"

Seems apropos.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an
invincible summer."
Albert Camus

Anon
March 17th 04, 11:16 PM
"UnDupable" > wrote in message >...
> Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
> alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and down my
> flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family shot that idea
> down.
>
> Would it be possible to take some kind of crate, put it face down on the
> floor and use it as a poor-mans stairmaster?

a running machine seems too expensive why not jog on the spot?

you could jog up and down the stairs of some massive building with
loads of stairs. How about a train station, there are often stairs
next to the escalator.
The massive building is better than the station. Because if it's a
huge staircase, you just jog up and down once or twice. It won't look
unusual.

Anon
March 17th 04, 11:16 PM
"UnDupable" > wrote in message >...
> Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
> alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and down my
> flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family shot that idea
> down.
>
> Would it be possible to take some kind of crate, put it face down on the
> floor and use it as a poor-mans stairmaster?

a running machine seems too expensive why not jog on the spot?

you could jog up and down the stairs of some massive building with
loads of stairs. How about a train station, there are often stairs
next to the escalator.
The massive building is better than the station. Because if it's a
huge staircase, you just jog up and down once or twice. It won't look
unusual.

DoctorElefant
March 18th 04, 12:24 AM
In message-id: >

(Keith Hobman) wrote:

>Dood.
>
>Check it out.
>
>http://www.cbass.com/Furey.htm

From the article:
"- my father backed out of the garage and ran over me - "

Wow. And I thought I had a rough family.

DocE
--------
"The future ain't what it used to be." -Yogi Berra

DoctorElefant
March 18th 04, 12:24 AM
In message-id: >

(Keith Hobman) wrote:

>Dood.
>
>Check it out.
>
>http://www.cbass.com/Furey.htm

From the article:
"- my father backed out of the garage and ran over me - "

Wow. And I thought I had a rough family.

DocE
--------
"The future ain't what it used to be." -Yogi Berra

Steve Freides
March 18th 04, 01:27 AM
"UnDupable" > wrote in message
> Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
> alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and down
my
> flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family shot that
idea
> down.
>
> Would it be possible to take some kind of crate, put it face down on the
> floor and use it as a poor-mans stairmaster?

Try a Google search on "without the dishonor of dieting and aerobics" - take
a look at my site, http://www.kbnj.com.

My alternative to running: http://www.kbnj.com/kbsnatch.rm or
http://www.kbnj.com/snatch_28_low_res.rm. It's a whole lot more fun, IMHO,
it takes very little space, it burns quite a few calories, and it'll keep
your resting pulse as low as if you ran 20 miles a week.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Steve Freides
March 18th 04, 01:27 AM
"UnDupable" > wrote in message
> Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
> alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and down
my
> flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family shot that
idea
> down.
>
> Would it be possible to take some kind of crate, put it face down on the
> floor and use it as a poor-mans stairmaster?

Try a Google search on "without the dishonor of dieting and aerobics" - take
a look at my site, http://www.kbnj.com.

My alternative to running: http://www.kbnj.com/kbsnatch.rm or
http://www.kbnj.com/snatch_28_low_res.rm. It's a whole lot more fun, IMHO,
it takes very little space, it burns quite a few calories, and it'll keep
your resting pulse as low as if you ran 20 miles a week.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Proton Soup
March 18th 04, 01:40 AM
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 20:27:22 -0500, "Steve Freides"
> wrote:

>"UnDupable" > wrote in message
>> Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
>> alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and down
>my
>> flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family shot that
>idea
>> down.
>>
>> Would it be possible to take some kind of crate, put it face down on the
>> floor and use it as a poor-mans stairmaster?
>
>Try a Google search on "without the dishonor of dieting and aerobics" - take

I like that phrase. It really plays on the consumer's inner tard.

>a look at my site, http://www.kbnj.com.
>
>My alternative to running: http://www.kbnj.com/kbsnatch.rm or
>http://www.kbnj.com/snatch_28_low_res.rm. It's a whole lot more fun, IMHO,
>it takes very little space, it burns quite a few calories, and it'll keep
>your resting pulse as low as if you ran 20 miles a week.

I don't like running either. Walking up a steep incline a few hundred
feet works for me.

Proton Soup

Proton Soup
March 18th 04, 01:40 AM
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 20:27:22 -0500, "Steve Freides"
> wrote:

>"UnDupable" > wrote in message
>> Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
>> alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and down
>my
>> flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family shot that
>idea
>> down.
>>
>> Would it be possible to take some kind of crate, put it face down on the
>> floor and use it as a poor-mans stairmaster?
>
>Try a Google search on "without the dishonor of dieting and aerobics" - take

I like that phrase. It really plays on the consumer's inner tard.

>a look at my site, http://www.kbnj.com.
>
>My alternative to running: http://www.kbnj.com/kbsnatch.rm or
>http://www.kbnj.com/snatch_28_low_res.rm. It's a whole lot more fun, IMHO,
>it takes very little space, it burns quite a few calories, and it'll keep
>your resting pulse as low as if you ran 20 miles a week.

I don't like running either. Walking up a steep incline a few hundred
feet works for me.

Proton Soup

Rambo Four Sythia
March 18th 04, 02:24 AM
John HUDSON > writes:

> On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:18:43 GMT, "UnDupable" >
> wrote:
>
>>Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
>>alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and down my
>>flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family shot that idea
>>down.
>>
>>Would it be possible to take some kind of crate, put it face down on the
>>floor and use it as a poor-mans stairmaster?
>
> If you are looking for a CV exercise indoors and are pressed for
> space, you may care to try "burpees", which are a very strong exercise
> which can be done in intervals, for as long as you are able to do
> them.
>
> There is of course running on the spot, which I somehow always thought
> a little ridiculous, but it can be done with variations such as: with
> high knee lift, with high heel raise, sprinting on the spot, astride
> jumping, alternate leg forward and back with high arm lift, hopping on
> alternate legs, 'bunny hops', Cossack leg circles and squat thrusts.
>
> Try shadow boxing, which can be very demanding, and for a little fun
> try doing the "twist" to music. You may look and feel bit of a pratt,
> but make sure no-one is watching, and enjoy the exercise!! ;o)

I'm surprised nobody suggested the heavy bag. You can get a good CV
workout with one!

It also strengthens your connective tissue. Just don't do too much
too hard too fast, i.e., moderate.

--
R4S

Rambo Four Sythia
March 18th 04, 02:24 AM
John HUDSON > writes:

> On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:18:43 GMT, "UnDupable" >
> wrote:
>
>>Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
>>alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and down my
>>flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family shot that idea
>>down.
>>
>>Would it be possible to take some kind of crate, put it face down on the
>>floor and use it as a poor-mans stairmaster?
>
> If you are looking for a CV exercise indoors and are pressed for
> space, you may care to try "burpees", which are a very strong exercise
> which can be done in intervals, for as long as you are able to do
> them.
>
> There is of course running on the spot, which I somehow always thought
> a little ridiculous, but it can be done with variations such as: with
> high knee lift, with high heel raise, sprinting on the spot, astride
> jumping, alternate leg forward and back with high arm lift, hopping on
> alternate legs, 'bunny hops', Cossack leg circles and squat thrusts.
>
> Try shadow boxing, which can be very demanding, and for a little fun
> try doing the "twist" to music. You may look and feel bit of a pratt,
> but make sure no-one is watching, and enjoy the exercise!! ;o)

I'm surprised nobody suggested the heavy bag. You can get a good CV
workout with one!

It also strengthens your connective tissue. Just don't do too much
too hard too fast, i.e., moderate.

--
R4S

Steve Freides
March 18th 04, 02:48 AM
"Donovan Rebbechi" > wrote in message
> In article >, Keith Hobman wrote:
> > In article >, Donovan Rebbechi
> > wrote:
>
> >> I competed in a half-marathon on Sunday, and I wore shorts and a
singlet, hat
> >> and gloves. I was cold before the race, but just fine after the first
mile.

> > WT...
> >
> > Where is the time and race report? Are you slacking off on us?
>
> On rec.running (-; I didn't know anyone here cared about the "weenie
> stuff" here. I suppose I haven't reported on a race since my debut in Sept
02,
> where I ran a 5k at about 6:30 pace, so I may as well write about this
one:

> The short version:
> Race: The Colon Cancer Challenge, my first half marathon.
> Time: 1:21:49, or 6:14 per mile, 72.9% WAVA (0.1% off my best which was a
4
> miler)
> Temperature: 34 deg f
> Course: 2 and a little bit loops of central park, finish same as NY
marathon
> Crowd support: Fantastic! Teammates all over the course including Bob
Glover
> (our team coach) who was jogging around in the opposite direction and
rallying
> the troops.
> Shoes: Asics Tiger Paws. I don't recommend flats for general training, but
they
> are fantastic for racing in. Anyone under 7:00 pace should be using them.
> Place: 64 (age group 31st). This is a club points race, so all the fast
runners
> showed up.
> Splits: Loop 1: 6:15 6:26 6:11 6:17 6:19 6:09
> Loop 2: 6:14 6:21 6:12 6:15 6:24 6:04
> Loop 3: 5:59 0:38
> Despite freezing my butt off before the race, I felt pretty comfortable
for
> the most part, even though I spilt water on myself at the drink stations.
Ran
> with a more experienced teammate for miles 3-11, before taking off for a
fast
> finish on the last two miles.
>
> They don't have pictures from this race yet, so I'm posting a shot from a
track
> meet (yeah, I'm skinny but I've still got better legs than a lot of the
gym
> rats ;-)
> http://www.pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/running/images/armory_04.jpg

You know, even though you don't lift kettlebells, you're alright. :) Damned
fast running, Donovan. My best half is 1:36:40 and your splits are better
than my best 5k.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

> [...]

> Loop 3: 5:59 0:38
> Despite freezing my butt off before the race, I felt pretty comfortable
for
> the most part, even though I spilt water on myself at the drink stations.
Ran
> with a more experienced teammate for miles 3-11, before taking off for a
fast
> finish on the last two miles.
>
> They don't have pictures from this race yet, so I'm posting a shot from a
track
> meet (yeah, I'm skinny but I've still got better legs than a lot of the
gym
> rats ;-)
> http://www.pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/running/images/armory_04.jpg

You know, even though you don't lift kettlebells, you're alright. :) Damned
fast running, Donovan. My best half is 1:36:40 and your splits are better

Lucas Buck
March 18th 04, 03:38 AM
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 19:58:55 GMT, geek_girl > wrote:

>UnDupable wrote:

>>>Skip indoors.
>>>

>> What part of freezing cold, snow, sleet and ice don't you understand?
>
>What part of "indoors" don't you understand?

Perhaps he was dictating.

Lucas Buck
March 18th 04, 03:38 AM
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 19:58:55 GMT, geek_girl > wrote:

>UnDupable wrote:

>>>Skip indoors.
>>>

>> What part of freezing cold, snow, sleet and ice don't you understand?
>
>What part of "indoors" don't you understand?

Perhaps he was dictating.

Pat Styles
March 18th 04, 04:41 AM
"Watson Davis" > wrote in message
2.213...
> (gman99) wrote in news:20040317152137.432
> :
>
> >> According to CNN it's -1 C. Butch the **** up.
> >>
> >> Neil "getting into that mfw spirit" Gendzwill
> >
> > -1C....I'd kill for -1 C...it's a good -10 C here, -18 C with the
> > windchill...and it's freakin' March !!
>
> Ah, you guys don't even know from tough.
>
> It's 88 degrees here at the base of the mountain. Luckily, I'm on a hill
> so the temperature's a little cooler. I'd say it's about 75 degrees.
>
> All my windows are open and the birds are singing. And my cats have
> brought in lizards and are watching them flail about on the tile floor.
>
> Yep.
>
> Life's tough.
>
> Whew, I better go down and get a DDP before I die of thirst.
>
> Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Dude! Speak to me! Did you make it down for that ddp? It was a bitch in San
Diego today, too. Couldn't have gotten over 72 and it was foggy this morning,
not enough to impede visibility, but it did make it chilly for an hour or two.
ps

Pat Styles
March 18th 04, 04:41 AM
"Watson Davis" > wrote in message
2.213...
> (gman99) wrote in news:20040317152137.432
> :
>
> >> According to CNN it's -1 C. Butch the **** up.
> >>
> >> Neil "getting into that mfw spirit" Gendzwill
> >
> > -1C....I'd kill for -1 C...it's a good -10 C here, -18 C with the
> > windchill...and it's freakin' March !!
>
> Ah, you guys don't even know from tough.
>
> It's 88 degrees here at the base of the mountain. Luckily, I'm on a hill
> so the temperature's a little cooler. I'd say it's about 75 degrees.
>
> All my windows are open and the birds are singing. And my cats have
> brought in lizards and are watching them flail about on the tile floor.
>
> Yep.
>
> Life's tough.
>
> Whew, I better go down and get a DDP before I die of thirst.
>
> Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Dude! Speak to me! Did you make it down for that ddp? It was a bitch in San
Diego today, too. Couldn't have gotten over 72 and it was foggy this morning,
not enough to impede visibility, but it did make it chilly for an hour or two.
ps

Helgi Briem
March 18th 04, 10:45 AM
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 13:14:49 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
wrote:

>In article >, Neil Gendzwill
> wrote:
>
>> UnDupable wrote:
>>
>> > Since it's too cold to run where I am
>>
>> Where are you that it's too cold to run? I run at -15 C (5 F) and I'm
>> considered a wimp by local standards.
>
>I used to run marathons and ran all winter here in Saskatoon - doing up to
>6 miles in -40 weather on occasion. It wasn't the cold that was the
>problem, it was the footing. If I did it again I would only run on decent
>surfaces.

Where I work there are lots of skinny dudes who run a
lot throughout the year (yes, it's nuts, I know, but anyways).

Here in Iceland it gets fairly cold and very windy. For that they
use clothes made of fleece and windbreakers, gloves and wooly
caps. Maybe willy-warmers too, for all I know.

We also have a lot of ice on the streets, so footing
is difficult. They screw little screws into the soles of their
running shoes, then remove them, snip off the heads with
pliers, then screw them back into the same hole, backwards.
A few mm are left protruding. Apparently this works better
and is a lot cheaper than special Swedish ice-running shoes.

For what it's worth.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

Never worry about anything that you see on the news.
To get on the news it must be sufficiently rare
that your chances of being involved are negligible!

wrote:

>In article >, Neil Gendzwill
> wrote:
>
>> UnDupable wrote:
>>
>> > Since it's too cold to run where I am
>>
>> Where are you that it's too cold to run? I run at -15 C (5 F) and I'm
>> considered a wimp by local standards.
>
>I used to run marathons and ran all winter here in Saskatoon - doing up to
>6 miles in -40 weather on occasion. It wasn't the cold that was the
>problem, it was the footing. If I did it again I would only run on decent
>surfaces.

Where I work there are lots of skinny dudes who run a
lot throughout the year (yes, it's nuts, I know, but anyways).

Here in Iceland it gets fairly cold and very windy. For that they
use clothes made of fleece and windbreakers, gloves and wooly
caps. Maybe willy-warmers too, for all I know.

We also have a lot of ice on the streets, so footing
is difficult. They screw little screws into the soles of their
running shoes, then remove them, snip off the heads with
pliers, then screw them back into the same hole, backwards.
A few mm are left protruding. Apparently this works better
and is a lot cheaper than special Swedish ice-running shoes.

For what it's worth.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

Never worry about anything that you see on the news.
To get on the news it must be sufficiently rare
that your chances of being involved are negligible!

rick++
March 18th 04, 03:32 PM
"UnDupable" > wrote in message >...
> Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
> alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and down my
> flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family shot that idea
> down.

That would be pretty rare. Its not too diffuclt to run to temps (and wind chills)
of -20F. Ice cold rain or total surface ice could be more of a problem.

rick++
March 18th 04, 03:32 PM
"UnDupable" > wrote in message >...
> Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
> alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and down my
> flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family shot that idea
> down.

That would be pretty rare. Its not too diffuclt to run to temps (and wind chills)
of -20F. Ice cold rain or total surface ice could be more of a problem.

gman99
March 18th 04, 03:41 PM
(rick++) wrote:
> "UnDupable" > wrote in message
> > Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
> > alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and
> > down my flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family
> > shot that idea down.
>
> That would be pretty rare. Its not too diffuclt to run to temps (and wind
> chills) of -20F. Ice cold rain or total surface ice could be more of a
> problem.

It would be for a lot of people, it's somewhat dangerous to run in very
cold temps. One can easily freeze their lungs in very cold temps...-20F
(-28C) is COLD.

gman99
March 18th 04, 03:41 PM
(rick++) wrote:
> "UnDupable" > wrote in message
> > Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
> > alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and
> > down my flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family
> > shot that idea down.
>
> That would be pretty rare. Its not too diffuclt to run to temps (and wind
> chills) of -20F. Ice cold rain or total surface ice could be more of a
> problem.

It would be for a lot of people, it's somewhat dangerous to run in very
cold temps. One can easily freeze their lungs in very cold temps...-20F
(-28C) is COLD.

TonyZ2001
March 18th 04, 04:15 PM
wrote:

>Since it's too cold to run where I am,

Come on, where are you? South Pole?

Suck it up.

Tony

TonyZ2001
March 18th 04, 04:15 PM
wrote:

>Since it's too cold to run where I am,

Come on, where are you? South Pole?

Suck it up.

Tony

Casey Stamper
March 18th 04, 04:20 PM
(rick++) wrote in
om:

> "UnDupable" > wrote in message
>> Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
>> alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and
>> down my flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family
>> shot that idea down.
>
> That would be pretty rare. Its not too diffuclt to run to temps (and
> wind chills) of -20F. Ice cold rain or total surface ice could be more
> of a problem.

When I was in the Army stationed in Alaska, we would run or do some kind of
physical activity outside every day as long as the temp was above -40F.
Once you get moving, it's not too bad. It's almost never too cold to run as
long as the running surface is navigable. You just have to dress right.

--
remove nospam to use email

Casey Stamper

"The dogs bark . . . but the caravan moves on"
old Arabic saying

Casey Stamper
March 18th 04, 04:20 PM
(rick++) wrote in
om:

> "UnDupable" > wrote in message
>> Since it's too cold to run where I am, I was wondering what the best
>> alternatives were? For example, last night I started jogging up and
>> down my flight of stairs, but they creek pretty loudly so the family
>> shot that idea down.
>
> That would be pretty rare. Its not too diffuclt to run to temps (and
> wind chills) of -20F. Ice cold rain or total surface ice could be more
> of a problem.

When I was in the Army stationed in Alaska, we would run or do some kind of
physical activity outside every day as long as the temp was above -40F.
Once you get moving, it's not too bad. It's almost never too cold to run as
long as the running surface is navigable. You just have to dress right.

--
remove nospam to use email

Casey Stamper

"The dogs bark . . . but the caravan moves on"
old Arabic saying

gman99
March 18th 04, 04:33 PM

> When I was in the Army stationed in Alaska, we would run or do some kind
> of physical activity outside every day as long as the temp was above
> -40F. Once you get moving, it's not too bad. It's almost never too cold
> to run as long as the running surface is navigable. You just have to
> dress right.

Where in Alaska ? Most habitable spots in Alaska have a temperate climate,
rarely going into the -40F.....

gman99
March 18th 04, 04:33 PM

> When I was in the Army stationed in Alaska, we would run or do some kind
> of physical activity outside every day as long as the temp was above
> -40F. Once you get moving, it's not too bad. It's almost never too cold
> to run as long as the running surface is navigable. You just have to
> dress right.

Where in Alaska ? Most habitable spots in Alaska have a temperate climate,
rarely going into the -40F.....

Casey Stamper
March 18th 04, 05:44 PM
(gman99) wrote in
:

>> When I was in the Army stationed in Alaska, we would run or do some
>> kind of physical activity outside every day as long as the temp was
>> above -40F. Once you get moving, it's not too bad. It's almost never
>> too cold to run as long as the running surface is navigable. You just
>> have to dress right.
>
> Where in Alaska ? Most habitable spots in Alaska have a temperate
> climate, rarely going into the -40F.....

Anchorage. I don't think it got down to that point (at least in Anchorage)
more than once while I was there but it was into the negative teens and 20s
quite a lot.

--
remove nospam to use email

Casey Stamper

"The dogs bark . . . but the caravan moves on"
old Arabic saying

Casey Stamper
March 18th 04, 05:44 PM
(gman99) wrote in
:

>> When I was in the Army stationed in Alaska, we would run or do some
>> kind of physical activity outside every day as long as the temp was
>> above -40F. Once you get moving, it's not too bad. It's almost never
>> too cold to run as long as the running surface is navigable. You just
>> have to dress right.
>
> Where in Alaska ? Most habitable spots in Alaska have a temperate
> climate, rarely going into the -40F.....

Anchorage. I don't think it got down to that point (at least in Anchorage)
more than once while I was there but it was into the negative teens and 20s
quite a lot.

--
remove nospam to use email

Casey Stamper

"The dogs bark . . . but the caravan moves on"
old Arabic saying

Watson Davis
March 18th 04, 05:51 PM
"Pat Styles" > wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "Watson Davis" > wrote in message
> 2.213...
>> (gman99) wrote in news:20040317152137.432
>> :

>> > -1C....I'd kill for -1 C...it's a good -10 C here, -18 C with the
>> > windchill...and it's freakin' March !!
>>
>> Ah, you guys don't even know from tough.
>>
>> It's 88 degrees here at the base of the mountain. Luckily, I'm on a
>> hill so the temperature's a little cooler. I'd say it's about 75
>> degrees.
>>
>> All my windows are open and the birds are singing. And my cats have
>> brought in lizards and are watching them flail about on the tile
>> floor.
>>
>> Yep.
>>
>> Life's tough.
>>
>> Whew, I better go down and get a DDP before I die of thirst.
>>
>> Watson (the pencil neck) Davis
>
> Dude! Speak to me! Did you make it down for that ddp? It was a
> bitch in San Diego today, too. Couldn't have gotten over 72 and it
> was foggy this morning, not enough to impede visibility, but it did
> make it chilly for an hour or two.

Somehow... I made it.

But it was tough. I'm emotionally scarred for life.

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Watson Davis
March 18th 04, 05:51 PM
"Pat Styles" > wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "Watson Davis" > wrote in message
> 2.213...
>> (gman99) wrote in news:20040317152137.432
>> :

>> > -1C....I'd kill for -1 C...it's a good -10 C here, -18 C with the
>> > windchill...and it's freakin' March !!
>>
>> Ah, you guys don't even know from tough.
>>
>> It's 88 degrees here at the base of the mountain. Luckily, I'm on a
>> hill so the temperature's a little cooler. I'd say it's about 75
>> degrees.
>>
>> All my windows are open and the birds are singing. And my cats have
>> brought in lizards and are watching them flail about on the tile
>> floor.
>>
>> Yep.
>>
>> Life's tough.
>>
>> Whew, I better go down and get a DDP before I die of thirst.
>>
>> Watson (the pencil neck) Davis
>
> Dude! Speak to me! Did you make it down for that ddp? It was a
> bitch in San Diego today, too. Couldn't have gotten over 72 and it
> was foggy this morning, not enough to impede visibility, but it did
> make it chilly for an hour or two.

Somehow... I made it.

But it was tough. I'm emotionally scarred for life.

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

bc
March 19th 04, 01:34 AM
(TonyZ2001) wrote in message >...
> >UnDupable"
> wrote:
>
> >Since it's too cold to run where I am,
>
> Come on, where are you? South Pole?
>
> Suck it up.
>
> Tony

Along those lines ... marathon sex sessions under the covers.

bc
March 19th 04, 01:34 AM