PDA

View Full Version : shoulder problem

weaklingX
March 17th 04, 08:08 PM
I started lifting in December doing a full body program three times a
week. I have had very good results, but for the past six weeks
whenever I try to go even moderately heavy (heavy for me anyway) on
bench press, my right shoulder starts to bother me. I don't usually
feel it right away, but later in the workout I can feel a mild burning
sensation. Once I feel it anything shoulder-related makes it worse,
but it has never really been painful. As long as I stop when I feel
it it fades away within an hour or so. I took a break for a week and
then lightened the load for a while and gradually increased it but it
came back as soon as I hit the weight that the problem had originally
started on. I have also switched to dumbells for bench and shoulder
press which may have helped slightly, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure
my form is decent, I've never had any previous shoulder problems, I do
warm up, and I don't work to failure. Any possible explanations,
suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Watson Davis
March 17th 04, 08:16 PM
(weaklingX) wrote in
om:

> I started lifting in December doing a full body program three times a
> week. I have had very good results, but for the past six weeks
> whenever I try to go even moderately heavy (heavy for me anyway) on
> bench press, my right shoulder starts to bother me. I don't usually
> feel it right away, but later in the workout I can feel a mild burning
> sensation.

Rule #24: Don't ask for medical opinions over the internet, go to a doctor.

Really. Not that the doctor is going to give you better advice, but at
least you'll have someone to sue when the advice turns out to be really
stupid.

Go to someone who knows shoulder anatomy. You might want to talk to a
physical therapist but personally, I've had good results with Active
Release (ART). You can go to www.activerelease.com and find a provider
close to you.

HTH.

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Watson Davis
March 17th 04, 08:16 PM
(weaklingX) wrote in
om:

> I started lifting in December doing a full body program three times a
> week. I have had very good results, but for the past six weeks
> whenever I try to go even moderately heavy (heavy for me anyway) on
> bench press, my right shoulder starts to bother me. I don't usually
> feel it right away, but later in the workout I can feel a mild burning
> sensation.

Rule #24: Don't ask for medical opinions over the internet, go to a doctor.

Really. Not that the doctor is going to give you better advice, but at
least you'll have someone to sue when the advice turns out to be really
stupid.

Go to someone who knows shoulder anatomy. You might want to talk to a
physical therapist but personally, I've had good results with Active
Release (ART). You can go to www.activerelease.com and find a provider
close to you.

HTH.

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Watson Davis
March 17th 04, 08:16 PM
(weaklingX) wrote in
om:

> I started lifting in December doing a full body program three times a
> week. I have had very good results, but for the past six weeks
> whenever I try to go even moderately heavy (heavy for me anyway) on
> bench press, my right shoulder starts to bother me. I don't usually
> feel it right away, but later in the workout I can feel a mild burning
> sensation.

Rule #24: Don't ask for medical opinions over the internet, go to a doctor.

Really. Not that the doctor is going to give you better advice, but at
least you'll have someone to sue when the advice turns out to be really
stupid.

Go to someone who knows shoulder anatomy. You might want to talk to a
physical therapist but personally, I've had good results with Active
Release (ART). You can go to www.activerelease.com and find a provider
close to you.

HTH.

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Jim Ranieri
March 17th 04, 09:29 PM
"weaklingX" > wrote in message
om...
> I started lifting in December doing a full body program three times a
> week. I have had very good results, but for the past six weeks
> whenever I try to go even moderately heavy (heavy for me anyway) on
> bench press, my right shoulder starts to bother me. I don't usually
> feel it right away, but later in the workout I can feel a mild burning
> sensation. Once I feel it anything shoulder-related makes it worse,
> but it has never really been painful. As long as I stop when I feel
> it it fades away within an hour or so. I took a break for a week and
> then lightened the load for a while and gradually increased it but it
> came back as soon as I hit the weight that the problem had originally
> started on. I have also switched to dumbells for bench and shoulder
> press which may have helped slightly, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure
> my form is decent, I've never had any previous shoulder problems, I do
> warm up, and I don't work to failure. Any possible explanations,
> suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.

Make sure you're balancing the benching (pecs / anterior deltoids) with work
on posterior deltoids and rotators. Muscular imbalances in your shouler can
lead to RC impingement problems.

Jim Ranieri
March 17th 04, 09:29 PM
"weaklingX" > wrote in message
om...
> I started lifting in December doing a full body program three times a
> week. I have had very good results, but for the past six weeks
> whenever I try to go even moderately heavy (heavy for me anyway) on
> bench press, my right shoulder starts to bother me. I don't usually
> feel it right away, but later in the workout I can feel a mild burning
> sensation. Once I feel it anything shoulder-related makes it worse,
> but it has never really been painful. As long as I stop when I feel
> it it fades away within an hour or so. I took a break for a week and
> then lightened the load for a while and gradually increased it but it
> came back as soon as I hit the weight that the problem had originally
> started on. I have also switched to dumbells for bench and shoulder
> press which may have helped slightly, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure
> my form is decent, I've never had any previous shoulder problems, I do
> warm up, and I don't work to failure. Any possible explanations,
> suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.

Make sure you're balancing the benching (pecs / anterior deltoids) with work
on posterior deltoids and rotators. Muscular imbalances in your shouler can
lead to RC impingement problems.

Jim Ranieri
March 17th 04, 09:29 PM
"weaklingX" > wrote in message
om...
> I started lifting in December doing a full body program three times a
> week. I have had very good results, but for the past six weeks
> whenever I try to go even moderately heavy (heavy for me anyway) on
> bench press, my right shoulder starts to bother me. I don't usually
> feel it right away, but later in the workout I can feel a mild burning
> sensation. Once I feel it anything shoulder-related makes it worse,
> but it has never really been painful. As long as I stop when I feel
> it it fades away within an hour or so. I took a break for a week and
> then lightened the load for a while and gradually increased it but it
> came back as soon as I hit the weight that the problem had originally
> started on. I have also switched to dumbells for bench and shoulder
> press which may have helped slightly, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure
> my form is decent, I've never had any previous shoulder problems, I do
> warm up, and I don't work to failure. Any possible explanations,
> suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.

Make sure you're balancing the benching (pecs / anterior deltoids) with work
on posterior deltoids and rotators. Muscular imbalances in your shouler can
lead to RC impingement problems.

Watson Davis
March 17th 04, 09:51 PM
"Jim Ranieri" > wrote in
:

> "weaklingX" > wrote in message
> om...
>> I started lifting in December doing a full body program three times a
>> week. I have had very good results, but for the past six weeks
>> whenever I try to go even moderately heavy (heavy for me anyway) on
>> bench press, my right shoulder starts to bother me. I don't usually
>> feel it right away, but later in the workout I can feel a mild
>> burning sensation. Once I feel it anything shoulder-related makes it
>> worse, but it has never really been painful. As long as I stop when
>> I feel it it fades away within an hour or so. I took a break for a
>> week and then lightened the load for a while and gradually increased
>> it but it came back as soon as I hit the weight that the problem had
>> originally started on. I have also switched to dumbells for bench
>> and shoulder press which may have helped slightly, I'm not sure. I'm
>> pretty sure my form is decent, I've never had any previous shoulder
>> problems, I do warm up, and I don't work to failure. Any possible
>> explanations, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.
>>

> Make sure you're balancing the benching (pecs / anterior deltoids)
> with work on posterior deltoids and rotators. Muscular imbalances in
> your shouler can lead to RC impingement problems.

And, trust me, the last thing you ever want is shoulder impingement issues.

Really.

> [...]

>> worse, but it has never really been painful. As long as I stop when
>> I feel it it fades away within an hour or so. I took a break for a
>> week and then lightened the load for a while and gradually increased
>> it but it came back as soon as I hit the weight that the problem had
>> originally started on. I have also switched to dumbells for bench
>> and shoulder press which may have helped slightly, I'm not sure. I'm
>> pretty sure my form is decent, I've never had any previous shoulder
>> problems, I do warm up, and I don't work to failure. Any possible
>> explanations, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.
>>

> Make sure you're balancing the benching (pecs / anterior deltoids)
> with work on posterior deltoids and rotators. Muscular imbalances in
> your shouler can lead to RC impingement problems.

And, trust me, the last thing you ever want is shoulder impingement issues.

DRS
March 17th 04, 11:13 PM

[...]

Heh. I've got the MPEG. That **** is scary.

--

"I'm proud that I live in a country where witnessing two hours of bloody,
barbarous torture in gloating detail is considered indicia of religious

DRS
March 17th 04, 11:13 PM
Jim Ranieri > wrote in message

[...]

> Personally, the last thing I'd ever want is scrotal elephantitis.

Heh. I've got the MPEG. That **** is scary.

--

"I'm proud that I live in a country where witnessing two hours of bloody,
barbarous torture in gloating detail is considered indicia of religious
piety, whereas a mere second gazing upon a woman's breast is cause for
outraged apoplexy."
Betty Bowers, http://www.bettybowers.com/melgibsonpassion.html

Jim Ranieri
March 17th 04, 11:16 PM
"Watson Davis" > wrote in message

> And, trust me, the last thing you ever want is shoulder impingement
issues.

> Really.

Personally, the last thing I'd ever want is scrotal elephantitis. But
shoulder impingement issues would be bad, too.

Jim Ranieri
March 17th 04, 11:16 PM
"Watson Davis" > wrote in message

> And, trust me, the last thing you ever want is shoulder impingement
issues.

> Really.

Personally, the last thing I'd ever want is scrotal elephantitis. But
shoulder impingement issues would be bad, too.

Watson Davis
March 17th 04, 11:39 PM
"Jim Ranieri" > wrote in news:105hmm691ma0m56
@corp.supernews.com:

> "Watson Davis" > wrote in message
>

>> And, trust me, the last thing you ever want is shoulder impingement
> issues.
>>
>> Really.
>>

> Personally, the last thing I'd ever want is scrotal elephantitis. But
> shoulder impingement issues would be bad, too.

Dude.

I'm using hyperbole as a rhetorical tool.

Work with me here.

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Watson Davis
March 17th 04, 11:39 PM
"Jim Ranieri" > wrote in news:105hmm691ma0m56
@corp.supernews.com:

> "Watson Davis" > wrote in message
>

>> And, trust me, the last thing you ever want is shoulder impingement
> issues.
>>
>> Really.
>>

> Personally, the last thing I'd ever want is scrotal elephantitis. But
> shoulder impingement issues would be bad, too.

Dude.

I'm using hyperbole as a rhetorical tool.

Work with me here.

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Bob MacWilliam
March 19th 04, 02:15 AM
"weaklingX" > wrote in message
om...
> I started lifting in December doing a full body program three times a
> week. I have had very good results, but for the past six weeks
> whenever I try to go even moderately heavy (heavy for me anyway) on
> bench press, my right shoulder starts to bother me. I don't usually
> feel it right away, but later in the workout I can feel a mild burning
> sensation. Once I feel it anything shoulder-related makes it worse,
> but it has never really been painful. As long as I stop when I feel
> it it fades away within an hour or so. I took a break for a week and
> then lightened the load for a while and gradually increased it but it
> came back as soon as I hit the weight that the problem had originally
> started on. I have also switched to dumbells for bench and shoulder
> press which may have helped slightly, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure
> my form is decent, I've never had any previous shoulder problems, I do
> warm up, and I don't work to failure. Any possible explanations,
> suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Some good advice given already. To add my $0.02, in my opinion a drawback
of full body routines is that IF you are prone to this type of injury (as I
am as well), working the same bodypart hard three times per week is too
much. Of course I'm not getting any younger either. But in general when
pain starts to show up like this and you want to try self-correction before
seeking medical advice you usually need to stop for a bit, then resume
gradually but never to the same situation that you think may have caused the
issue in the first place or you're just gonna get it again. Isn't that the
definition of insanity or something? Doing the same thing twice and
expecting different outcomes... Anyway, you need to reduce shoulder
frequency when training resumes, and do something different like some
rotator-specific movements. You should also realize that muscles can adapt
faster than other connective tissues and your shoulder just may need a
little time and TLC to catch up with your strengthening muscles. Often when
self-rehabbing I'll ice my affected bodypart after workout as part of the
routine as well, whether or not it's hurting.

Funny thing is, I get the same advice everytime I go to the doc with a new
injury anyway, so I'm getting pretty good at it now. The last time for a
fairly serious shoulder impingement problem Active Release Therapy helped a
great deal on top of the standard self-rehab.

Bob

Bob MacWilliam
March 19th 04, 02:15 AM
"weaklingX" > wrote in message
om...
> I started lifting in December doing a full body program three times a
> week. I have had very good results, but for the past six weeks
> whenever I try to go even moderately heavy (heavy for me anyway) on
> bench press, my right shoulder starts to bother me. I don't usually
> feel it right away, but later in the workout I can feel a mild burning
> sensation. Once I feel it anything shoulder-related makes it worse,
> but it has never really been painful. As long as I stop when I feel
> it it fades away within an hour or so. I took a break for a week and
> then lightened the load for a while and gradually increased it but it
> came back as soon as I hit the weight that the problem had originally
> started on. I have also switched to dumbells for bench and shoulder
> press which may have helped slightly, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure
> my form is decent, I've never had any previous shoulder problems, I do
> warm up, and I don't work to failure. Any possible explanations,
> suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Some good advice given already. To add my $0.02, in my opinion a drawback
of full body routines is that IF you are prone to this type of injury (as I
am as well), working the same bodypart hard three times per week is too
much. Of course I'm not getting any younger either. But in general when
pain starts to show up like this and you want to try self-correction before
seeking medical advice you usually need to stop for a bit, then resume
gradually but never to the same situation that you think may have caused the
issue in the first place or you're just gonna get it again. Isn't that the
definition of insanity or something? Doing the same thing twice and
expecting different outcomes... Anyway, you need to reduce shoulder
frequency when training resumes, and do something different like some
rotator-specific movements. You should also realize that muscles can adapt
faster than other connective tissues and your shoulder just may need a
little time and TLC to catch up with your strengthening muscles. Often when
self-rehabbing I'll ice my affected bodypart after workout as part of the
routine as well, whether or not it's hurting.

Funny thing is, I get the same advice everytime I go to the doc with a new
injury anyway, so I'm getting pretty good at it now. The last time for a
fairly serious shoulder impingement problem Active Release Therapy helped a
great deal on top of the standard self-rehab.

Bob

ndavis
March 19th 04, 11:19 AM
weaklingX wrote:

> I started lifting in December doing a full body program three times a
> week. I have had very good results, but for the past six weeks
> whenever I try to go even moderately heavy (heavy for me anyway) on
> bench press, my right shoulder starts to bother me. I don't usually
> feel it right away, but later in the workout I can feel a mild burning
> sensation. Once I feel it anything shoulder-related makes it worse,
> but it has never really been painful. As long as I stop when I feel
> it it fades away within an hour or so. I took a break for a week and
> then lightened the load for a while and gradually increased it but it
> came back as soon as I hit the weight that the problem had originally
> started on. I have also switched to dumbells for bench and shoulder
> press which may have helped slightly, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure
> my form is decent, I've never had any previous shoulder problems, I do
> warm up, and I don't work to failure. Any possible explanations,
> suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.

I've just had very similar sounding problems - caused apparently cos of my
bad computer use posture (shoulders come forwards and case the gap between
clavicle and humerus to narrow hence PAIN!) so first advice would be get it
checked quickly by a doctor or better yet a physio (my doctor prescribed
pain killers - my physio told me what was wrong and how to help it so I may
be biased here!) and take it from there...

ndavis
March 19th 04, 11:19 AM
weaklingX wrote:

> I started lifting in December doing a full body program three times a
> week. I have had very good results, but for the past six weeks
> whenever I try to go even moderately heavy (heavy for me anyway) on
> bench press, my right shoulder starts to bother me. I don't usually
> feel it right away, but later in the workout I can feel a mild burning
> sensation. Once I feel it anything shoulder-related makes it worse,
> but it has never really been painful. As long as I stop when I feel
> it it fades away within an hour or so. I took a break for a week and
> then lightened the load for a while and gradually increased it but it
> came back as soon as I hit the weight that the problem had originally
> started on. I have also switched to dumbells for bench and shoulder
> press which may have helped slightly, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure
> my form is decent, I've never had any previous shoulder problems, I do
> warm up, and I don't work to failure. Any possible explanations,
> suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.

I've just had very similar sounding problems - caused apparently cos of my
bad computer use posture (shoulders come forwards and case the gap between
clavicle and humerus to narrow hence PAIN!) so first advice would be get it
checked quickly by a doctor or better yet a physio (my doctor prescribed
pain killers - my physio told me what was wrong and how to help it so I may
be biased here!) and take it from there...

weaklingX
March 19th 04, 07:43 PM
"Bob MacWilliam" > wrote in message >...
> "weaklingX" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I started lifting in December doing a full body program three times a
> > week. I have had very good results, but for the past six weeks
> > whenever I try to go even moderately heavy (heavy for me anyway) on
> > bench press, my right shoulder starts to bother me. I don't usually
> > feel it right away, but later in the workout I can feel a mild burning
> > sensation. Once I feel it anything shoulder-related makes it worse,
> > but it has never really been painful. As long as I stop when I feel
> > it it fades away within an hour or so. I took a break for a week and
> > then lightened the load for a while and gradually increased it but it
> > came back as soon as I hit the weight that the problem had originally
> > started on. I have also switched to dumbells for bench and shoulder
> > press which may have helped slightly, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure
> > my form is decent, I've never had any previous shoulder problems, I do
> > warm up, and I don't work to failure. Any possible explanations,
> > suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mike
> >
> Some good advice given already. To add my $0.02, in my opinion a drawback
> of full body routines is that IF you are prone to this type of injury (as I
> am as well), working the same bodypart hard three times per week is too
> much. Of course I'm not getting any younger either. But in general when
> pain starts to show up like this and you want to try self-correction before
> seeking medical advice you usually need to stop for a bit, then resume
> gradually but never to the same situation that you think may have caused the
> issue in the first place or you're just gonna get it again. Isn't that the
> definition of insanity or something? Doing the same thing twice and
> expecting different outcomes... Anyway, you need to reduce shoulder
> frequency when training resumes, and do something different like some
> rotator-specific movements. You should also realize that muscles can adapt
> faster than other connective tissues and your shoulder just may need a
> little time and TLC to catch up with your strengthening muscles. Often when
> self-rehabbing I'll ice my affected bodypart after workout as part of the
> routine as well, whether or not it's hurting.
>
> Funny thing is, I get the same advice everytime I go to the doc with a new
> injury anyway, so I'm getting pretty good at it now. The last time for a
> fairly serious shoulder impingement problem Active Release Therapy helped a
> great deal on top of the standard self-rehab.
>
> Bob

Thanks everyone for your comments. I found several ART providers in
my area. Do you think it would be worth seeing one of them when my
problem is this new/mild? Or do you think I should try some
self-correction (rest, throw my computer mouse away, etc.) first?

> [...]
> faster than other connective tissues and your shoulder just may need a
> little time and TLC to catch up with your strengthening muscles. Often when
> self-rehabbing I'll ice my affected bodypart after workout as part of the
> routine as well, whether or not it's hurting.
>
> Funny thing is, I get the same advice everytime I go to the doc with a new
> injury anyway, so I'm getting pretty good at it now. The last time for a
> fairly serious shoulder impingement problem Active Release Therapy helped a
> great deal on top of the standard self-rehab.
>
> Bob

Thanks everyone for your comments. I found several ART providers in
my area. Do you think it would be worth seeing one of them when my
problem is this new/mild? Or do you think I should try some
self-correction (rest, throw my computer mouse away, etc.) first?

Wayne S. Hill
March 19th 04, 07:48 PM
weaklingX wrote:

> Thanks everyone for your comments. I found several ART
> providers in my area. Do you think it would be worth seeing
> one of them when my problem is this new/mild? Or do you
> think I should try some self-correction (rest, throw my
> computer mouse away, etc.) first?

I was thinking about that. I had continual trouble with my right
shoulder until I ditched my mouse in favor of a touchpad. You
might try that first.

--
-Wayne

Wayne S. Hill
March 19th 04, 07:48 PM
weaklingX wrote:

> Thanks everyone for your comments. I found several ART
> providers in my area. Do you think it would be worth seeing
> one of them when my problem is this new/mild? Or do you
> think I should try some self-correction (rest, throw my
> computer mouse away, etc.) first?

I was thinking about that. I had continual trouble with my right
shoulder until I ditched my mouse in favor of a touchpad. You
might try that first.

--
-Wayne

Jake
March 19th 04, 11:22 PM
"Jim Ranieri" > wrote in message >...
> "Watson Davis" > wrote in message
>

> > And, trust me, the last thing you ever want is shoulder impingement
> issues.
> >
> > Really.
> >

> Personally, the last thing I'd ever want is scrotal elephantitis. But
> shoulder impingement issues would be bad, too.

However, for some reason penile elephantitis doesn't sound so bad.

Jake
March 19th 04, 11:22 PM
"Jim Ranieri" > wrote in message >...
> "Watson Davis" > wrote in message
>

> > And, trust me, the last thing you ever want is shoulder impingement
> issues.
> >
> > Really.
> >

> Personally, the last thing I'd ever want is scrotal elephantitis. But
> shoulder impingement issues would be bad, too.

However, for some reason penile elephantitis doesn't sound so bad.

Watson Davis
March 20th 04, 12:08 AM
(weaklingX) wrote in
om:

> Thanks everyone for your comments. I found several ART providers in
> my area. Do you think it would be worth seeing one of them when my
> problem is this new/mild? Or do you think I should try some
> self-correction (rest, throw my computer mouse away, etc.) first?

I've never had a bad ART. I've had one or two that weren't great but never
bad. I'd definitely go see one.

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Watson Davis
March 20th 04, 12:08 AM
(weaklingX) wrote in
om:

> Thanks everyone for your comments. I found several ART providers in
> my area. Do you think it would be worth seeing one of them when my
> problem is this new/mild? Or do you think I should try some
> self-correction (rest, throw my computer mouse away, etc.) first?

I've never had a bad ART. I've had one or two that weren't great but never
bad. I'd definitely go see one.

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Bob MacWilliam
March 23rd 04, 01:11 AM
(weaklingX) wrote in message >...
> "Bob MacWilliam" > wrote in message >...
> > "weaklingX" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > I started lifting in December doing a full body program three times a
> > > week. I have had very good results, but for the past six weeks
> > > whenever I try to go even moderately heavy (heavy for me anyway) on
> > > bench press, my right shoulder starts to bother me. I don't usually
> > > feel it right away, but later in the workout I can feel a mild burning
> > > sensation. Once I feel it anything shoulder-related makes it worse,
> > > but it has never really been painful. As long as I stop when I feel
> > > it it fades away within an hour or so. I took a break for a week and
> > > then lightened the load for a while and gradually increased it but it
> > > came back as soon as I hit the weight that the problem had originally
> > > started on. I have also switched to dumbells for bench and shoulder
> > > press which may have helped slightly, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure
> > > my form is decent, I've never had any previous shoulder problems, I do
> > > warm up, and I don't work to failure. Any possible explanations,
> > > suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Mike
> > >
> > Some good advice given already. To add my $0.02, in my opinion a drawback
> > of full body routines is that IF you are prone to this type of injury (as I
> > am as well), working the same bodypart hard three times per week is too
> > much. Of course I'm not getting any younger either. But in general when
> > pain starts to show up like this and you want to try self-correction before
> > seeking medical advice you usually need to stop for a bit, then resume
> > gradually but never to the same situation that you think may have caused the
> > issue in the first place or you're just gonna get it again. Isn't that the
> > definition of insanity or something? Doing the same thing twice and
> > expecting different outcomes... Anyway, you need to reduce shoulder
> > frequency when training resumes, and do something different like some
> > rotator-specific movements. You should also realize that muscles can adapt
> > faster than other connective tissues and your shoulder just may need a
> > little time and TLC to catch up with your strengthening muscles. Often when
> > self-rehabbing I'll ice my affected bodypart after workout as part of the
> > routine as well, whether or not it's hurting.
> >
> > Funny thing is, I get the same advice everytime I go to the doc with a new
> > injury anyway, so I'm getting pretty good at it now. The last time for a
> > fairly serious shoulder impingement problem Active Release Therapy helped a
> > great deal on top of the standard self-rehab.
> >
> > Bob
>

> Thanks everyone for your comments. I found several ART providers in
> my area. Do you think it would be worth seeing one of them when my
> problem is this new/mild? Or do you think I should try some
> self-correction (rest, throw my computer mouse away, etc.) first?

Yes to both.

Bob

Bob MacWilliam
March 23rd 04, 01:11 AM
(weaklingX) wrote in message >...
> [...]
> > faster than other connective tissues and your shoulder just may need a
> > little time and TLC to catch up with your strengthening muscles. Often when
> > self-rehabbing I'll ice my affected bodypart after workout as part of the
> > routine as well, whether or not it's hurting.
> >
> > Funny thing is, I get the same advice everytime I go to the doc with a new
> > injury anyway, so I'm getting pretty good at it now. The last time for a
> > fairly serious shoulder impingement problem Active Release Therapy helped a
> > great deal on top of the standard self-rehab.
> >
> > Bob
>

> Thanks everyone for your comments. I found several ART providers in
> my area. Do you think it would be worth seeing one of them when my
> problem is this new/mild? Or do you think I should try some
> self-correction (rest, throw my computer mouse away, etc.) first?

March 28th 04, 10:27 PM
(Bob MacWilliam) wrote in message >...
> (weaklingX) wrote in message >...
> > "Bob MacWilliam" > wrote in message >...
> > > "weaklingX" > wrote in message
> > > om...

> > > Some good advice given already. To add my $0.02, in my opinion a drawback
> > > of full body routines is that IF you are prone to this type of injury (as I
> > > am as well), working the same bodypart hard three times per week is too
> > > much. Of course I'm not getting any younger either. But in general when
> > > pain starts to show up like this and you want to try self-correction before
> > > seeking medical advice you usually need to stop for a bit, then resume
> > > gradually but never to the same situation that you think may have caused the
> > > issue in the first place or you're just gonna get it again. Isn't that the
> > > definition of insanity or something? Doing the same thing twice and
> > > expecting different outcomes... Anyway, you need to reduce shoulder
> > > frequency when training resumes, and do something different like some
> > > rotator-specific movements. You should also realize that muscles can adapt
> > > faster than other connective tissues and your shoulder just may need a
> > > little time and TLC to catch up with your strengthening muscles. Often when
> > > self-rehabbing I'll ice my affected bodypart after workout as part of the
> > > routine as well, whether or not it's hurting.
> > >
> > > Funny thing is, I get the same advice everytime I go to the doc with a new
> > > injury anyway, so I'm getting pretty good at it now. The last time for a
> > > fairly serious shoulder impingement problem Active Release Therapy helped a
> > > great deal on top of the standard self-rehab.
> > >
> > > Bob
> >

> > Thanks everyone for your comments. I found several ART providers in
> > my area. Do you think it would be worth seeing one of them when my
> > problem is this new/mild? Or do you think I should try some
> > self-correction (rest, throw my computer mouse away, etc.) first?
>
> Yes to both.
>
> Bob

Quick update. I had an ART session, stopped mousing with my right
hand, started stretching more, started using DBs for bench presses,
and have been more conscious of my posture at the computer. I don't
know if it was one thing or a combination of all of them, but in the
last week I've lifted heavy three times with absolutely no problems at
all. Thanks again for everyone's help. I really was suspecting that
I had done permanent damage, so for the problem to be 100% resolved in
such a short amount of time is so great.

Mike

weaklingX
March 28th 04, 10:27 PM