PDA

View Full Version : Re: Uncoupling proteins: gender dependence

Lyle McDonald
March 19th 04, 04:36 PM
AlphaOmega2004 wrote:

> Review
> Uncoupling proteins: gender dependence and their relation to body
> weight control
>
> A M Rodríguez1 and A Palou1
>
> 1Departament de Biologia Fonamental i Cičncies de la Salut, Ed.
> Guillem Colom, Laboratori de Biologia Molecular, Nutrició i Biotecnologia,
> Universitat de les Illes Balears, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
>
> Correspondence to: Dr Ana M Rodríguez, Departament de Biologia
> Fonamental i Cičncies de la Salut, Ed. Guillem Colom, Universitat de les
> Illes Balears, Cra. Valldemossa, Km 7.5, Palma de Mallorca, 07122, Spain.
> E-mail:
>

> Abstract
>
> Members of the uncoupling protein (UCP) family have different
> purported functions, which can be either directly or indirectly related to
> the control of body weight. In this sense, most studies on this topic have
> been carried out using male subjects, although different works with males
> and females have shown important sex-associated differences in the
> regulation of these proteins; for instance, sex differences have been shown
> in the cold-, diet- and overweight-induced expression of brown adipose
> tissue UCP1 and also in the correlation of muscle UCP3 with overweight. In
> these kinds of studies, models of obesity such as cafeteria diet feeding and
> postcafeteria have been very useful. Moreover, sex hormones have been shown
> to modulate UCP1 expression in brown adipocytes in vitro. All these
> sex-dependent differences, as well as sex differences in body weight gain
> under a hypercaloric diet, could be related to the different respective
> biological functions of males and females, taking into account the fact that
> the gender effect in future studies on obesity could be of interest.
>
> International Journal of Obesity (2004) 28, 500-502.
> doi:10.1038/sj.ijo.0802588
> Published online 3 February 2004

this is rat research. Just FYI.

Lyle

Lyle McDonald
March 19th 04, 04:36 PM
AlphaOmega2004 wrote:

> Review
> Uncoupling proteins: gender dependence and their relation to body
> weight control
>
> A M Rodríguez1 and A Palou1
>
> 1Departament de Biologia Fonamental i Cičncies de la Salut, Ed.
> Guillem Colom, Laboratori de Biologia Molecular, Nutrició i Biotecnologia,
> Universitat de les Illes Balears, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
>
> Correspondence to: Dr Ana M Rodríguez, Departament de Biologia
> Fonamental i Cičncies de la Salut, Ed. Guillem Colom, Universitat de les
> Illes Balears, Cra. Valldemossa, Km 7.5, Palma de Mallorca, 07122, Spain.
> E-mail:
>

> Abstract
>
> Members of the uncoupling protein (UCP) family have different
> purported functions, which can be either directly or indirectly related to
> the control of body weight. In this sense, most studies on this topic have
> been carried out using male subjects, although different works with males
> and females have shown important sex-associated differences in the
> regulation of these proteins; for instance, sex differences have been shown
> in the cold-, diet- and overweight-induced expression of brown adipose
> tissue UCP1 and also in the correlation of muscle UCP3 with overweight. In
> these kinds of studies, models of obesity such as cafeteria diet feeding and
> postcafeteria have been very useful. Moreover, sex hormones have been shown
> to modulate UCP1 expression in brown adipocytes in vitro. All these
> sex-dependent differences, as well as sex differences in body weight gain
> under a hypercaloric diet, could be related to the different respective
> biological functions of males and females, taking into account the fact that
> the gender effect in future studies on obesity could be of interest.
>
> International Journal of Obesity (2004) 28, 500-502.
> doi:10.1038/sj.ijo.0802588
> Published online 3 February 2004

this is rat research. Just FYI.

Lyle

elzinator
March 20th 04, 03:07 AM
On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 10:36:10 -0600, Lyle McDonald wrote:
>AlphaOmega2004 wrote:
>
>> Review
>> Uncoupling proteins: gender dependence and their relation to body
>> weight control
>>
>> A M Rodríguez1 and A Palou1

>> Abstract
>>
>> Members of the uncoupling protein (UCP) family have different
>> purported functions, which can be either directly or indirectly related to
>> the control of body weight. In this sense, most studies on this topic have
>> been carried out using male subjects, although different works with males
>> and females have shown important sex-associated differences in the
>> regulation of these proteins; for instance, sex differences have been shown
>> in the cold-, diet- and overweight-induced expression of brown adipose
>> tissue UCP1 and also in the correlation of muscle UCP3 with overweight. In
>> these kinds of studies, models of obesity such as cafeteria diet feeding and
>> postcafeteria have been very useful. Moreover, sex hormones have been shown
>> to modulate UCP1 expression in brown adipocytes in vitro. All these
>> sex-dependent differences, as well as sex differences in body weight gain
>> under a hypercaloric diet, could be related to the different respective
>> biological functions of males and females, taking into account the fact that
>> the gender effect in future studies on obesity could be of interest.
>>
>> International Journal of Obesity (2004) 28, 500-502.
>> doi:10.1038/sj.ijo.0802588
>> Published online 3 February 2004
>
>this is rat research. Just FYI.

Yeah, that was a point that Ruderman made during his seminar: murine
research had limited extrapolation to humans. different tissue
expression, etc.

Beelzibub

The human in us owes fealty to humanity. But the wolf in us acknowledges no master.

elzinator
March 20th 04, 03:07 AM
On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 10:36:10 -0600, Lyle McDonald wrote:
>AlphaOmega2004 wrote:
>
>> Review
>> Uncoupling proteins: gender dependence and their relation to body
>> weight control
>>
>> A M Rodríguez1 and A Palou1

>> Abstract
>>
>> Members of the uncoupling protein (UCP) family have different
>> purported functions, which can be either directly or indirectly related to
>> the control of body weight. In this sense, most studies on this topic have
>> been carried out using male subjects, although different works with males
>> and females have shown important sex-associated differences in the
>> regulation of these proteins; for instance, sex differences have been shown
>> in the cold-, diet- and overweight-induced expression of brown adipose
>> tissue UCP1 and also in the correlation of muscle UCP3 with overweight. In
>> these kinds of studies, models of obesity such as cafeteria diet feeding and
>> postcafeteria have been very useful. Moreover, sex hormones have been shown
>> to modulate UCP1 expression in brown adipocytes in vitro. All these
>> sex-dependent differences, as well as sex differences in body weight gain
>> under a hypercaloric diet, could be related to the different respective
>> biological functions of males and females, taking into account the fact that
>> the gender effect in future studies on obesity could be of interest.
>>
>> International Journal of Obesity (2004) 28, 500-502.
>> doi:10.1038/sj.ijo.0802588
>> Published online 3 February 2004
>
>this is rat research. Just FYI.

Yeah, that was a point that Ruderman made during his seminar: murine
research had limited extrapolation to humans. different tissue
expression, etc.

Beelzibub

The human in us owes fealty to humanity. But the wolf in us acknowledges no master.

ATP
March 20th 04, 01:17 PM
Lyle McDonald wrote:
> AlphaOmega2004 wrote:
>

>> in the correlation of muscle UCP3 with overweight. In these kinds of
>> studies, models of obesity such as cafeteria diet feeding and
>> postcafeteria have been very useful. Moreover, sex hormones have
>> been shown to modulate UCP1 expression in brown adipocytes in vitro.
>> All these sex-dependent differences, as well as sex differences in
>> body weight gain under a hypercaloric diet, could be related to the
>> different respective biological functions of males and females,
>> taking into account the fact that the gender effect in future
>> studies on obesity could be of interest.
>>
>> International Journal of Obesity (2004) 28, 500-502.
>> doi:10.1038/sj.ijo.0802588
>> Published online 3 February 2004
>
> this is rat research. Just FYI.
>
> Lyle

Do they build a special rat cafeteria or just let them loose in the school
cafeteria?

ATP
March 20th 04, 01:17 PM
Lyle McDonald wrote:
> AlphaOmega2004 wrote:
>

>> in the correlation of muscle UCP3 with overweight. In these kinds of
>> studies, models of obesity such as cafeteria diet feeding and
>> postcafeteria have been very useful. Moreover, sex hormones have
>> been shown to modulate UCP1 expression in brown adipocytes in vitro.
>> All these sex-dependent differences, as well as sex differences in
>> body weight gain under a hypercaloric diet, could be related to the
>> different respective biological functions of males and females,
>> taking into account the fact that the gender effect in future
>> studies on obesity could be of interest.
>>
>> International Journal of Obesity (2004) 28, 500-502.
>> doi:10.1038/sj.ijo.0802588
>> Published online 3 February 2004
>
> this is rat research. Just FYI.
>
> Lyle

Do they build a special rat cafeteria or just let them loose in the school
cafeteria?

Lyle McDonald
March 20th 04, 03:33 PM
ATP wrote:

> Lyle McDonald wrote:
>
>>AlphaOmega2004 wrote:
>>

>>>in the correlation of muscle UCP3 with overweight. In these kinds of
>>>studies, models of obesity such as cafeteria diet feeding and
>>>postcafeteria have been very useful. Moreover, sex hormones have
>>>been shown to modulate UCP1 expression in brown adipocytes in vitro.
>>>All these sex-dependent differences, as well as sex differences in
>>>body weight gain under a hypercaloric diet, could be related to the
>>>different respective biological functions of males and females,
>>>taking into account the fact that the gender effect in future
>>>studies on obesity could be of interest.
>>>
>>> International Journal of Obesity (2004) 28, 500-502.
>>>doi:10.1038/sj.ijo.0802588
>>> Published online 3 February 2004
>>
>>this is rat research. Just FYI.
>>
>>Lyle
>

> Do they build a special rat cafeteria or just let them loose in the school
> cafeteria?

And if the latter, do only the cool rats get to sit at the cool tables?

Lyle

Lyle McDonald
March 20th 04, 03:33 PM
ATP wrote:

> Lyle McDonald wrote:
>
>>AlphaOmega2004 wrote:
>>

>>>in the correlation of muscle UCP3 with overweight. In these kinds of
>>>studies, models of obesity such as cafeteria diet feeding and
>>>postcafeteria have been very useful. Moreover, sex hormones have
>>>been shown to modulate UCP1 expression in brown adipocytes in vitro.
>>>All these sex-dependent differences, as well as sex differences in
>>>body weight gain under a hypercaloric diet, could be related to the
>>>different respective biological functions of males and females,
>>>taking into account the fact that the gender effect in future
>>>studies on obesity could be of interest.
>>>
>>> International Journal of Obesity (2004) 28, 500-502.
>>>doi:10.1038/sj.ijo.0802588
>>> Published online 3 February 2004
>>
>>this is rat research. Just FYI.
>>
>>Lyle
>

> Do they build a special rat cafeteria or just let them loose in the school
> cafeteria?

And if the latter, do only the cool rats get to sit at the cool tables?

Lyle

elzinator
March 20th 04, 05:18 PM
On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:33:27 -0600, Lyle McDonald wrote:
>ATP wrote:
>
>> Lyle McDonald wrote:

>>>this is rat research. Just FYI.
>>>
>>>Lyle
>>

>> Do they build a special rat cafeteria or just let them loose in the school
>> cafeteria?
>
>And if the latter, do only the cool rats get to sit at the cool tables?

What about the dirty rats?

Beelzibub

The human in us owes fealty to humanity. But the wolf in us acknowledges no master.

elzinator
March 20th 04, 05:18 PM
On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:33:27 -0600, Lyle McDonald wrote:
>ATP wrote:
>
>> Lyle McDonald wrote:

>>>this is rat research. Just FYI.
>>>
>>>Lyle
>>

>> Do they build a special rat cafeteria or just let them loose in the school
>> cafeteria?
>
>And if the latter, do only the cool rats get to sit at the cool tables?

What about the dirty rats?

Beelzibub

The human in us owes fealty to humanity. But the wolf in us acknowledges no master.

AlphaOmega2004
March 20th 04, 09:39 PM
"elzinator" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:33:27 -0600, Lyle McDonald wrote:
> >ATP wrote:

> >> Do they build a special rat cafeteria or just let them loose in the
school
> >> cafeteria?
> >
> >And if the latter, do only the cool rats get to sit at the cool tables?
>
> What about the dirty rats?

Couldn't give a rat's ass about them.

"elzinator" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:33:27 -0600, Lyle McDonald wrote:
> >ATP wrote:

> >> Do they build a special rat cafeteria or just let them loose in the
school
> >> cafeteria?
> >
> >And if the latter, do only the cool rats get to sit at the cool tables?
>
> What about the dirty rats?

Couldn't give a rat's ass about them.

> Beelzibub
>
> The human in us owes fealty to humanity. But the wolf in us acknowledges
no master.

elzinator
March 21st 04, 02:02 AM
On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 21:39:52 GMT, AlphaOmega2004 wrote:

>"elzinator" > wrote in message

>school
>> >
>> >And if the latter, do only the cool rats get to sit at the cool tables?
>>
>> What about the dirty rats?
>
>Couldn't give a rat's ass about them.

Careful. One of them will rat on you.

Beelzibub

The human in us owes fealty to humanity. But the wolf in us acknowledges no master.

elzinator
March 21st 04, 02:02 AM
On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 21:39:52 GMT, AlphaOmega2004 wrote:

>"elzinator" > wrote in message

>school
>> >
>> >And if the latter, do only the cool rats get to sit at the cool tables?
>>
>> What about the dirty rats?
>
>Couldn't give a rat's ass about them.

Careful. One of them will rat on you.

Beelzibub

The human in us owes fealty to humanity. But the wolf in us acknowledges no master.

Dr. Dickie
March 21st 04, 12:05 PM
On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 11:18:21 -0600, elzinator
> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:33:27 -0600, Lyle McDonald wrote:
>>ATP wrote:

>>> Do they build a special rat cafeteria or just let them loose in the school
>>> cafeteria?
>>
>>And if the latter, do only the cool rats get to sit at the cool tables?
>
>What about the dirty rats?

I think they are outside smoking cigarettes in the cancer studies.

Dr. Dickie
Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438
Poking kooks with a pointy stick
====================================
"Let be be finale of seem.
The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream"
Wallace Stevens-1923
=====================================

Dr. Dickie
March 21st 04, 12:05 PM
On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 11:18:21 -0600, elzinator
> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:33:27 -0600, Lyle McDonald wrote:
>>ATP wrote:

>>> Do they build a special rat cafeteria or just let them loose in the school
>>> cafeteria?
>>
>>And if the latter, do only the cool rats get to sit at the cool tables?
>
>What about the dirty rats?

I think they are outside smoking cigarettes in the cancer studies.

Dr. Dickie
Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438
Poking kooks with a pointy stick
====================================
"Let be be finale of seem.
The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream"
Wallace Stevens-1923
=====================================

MJL
March 21st 04, 09:06 PM
On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:33:27 -0600, Lyle McDonald
> wrote:

>ATP wrote:
>
>> Lyle McDonald wrote:

>>>this is rat research. Just FYI.
>>>
>>>Lyle
>>

>> Do they build a special rat cafeteria or just let them loose in the school
>> cafeteria?
>
>And if the latter, do only the cool rats get to sit at the cool tables?
>
>Lyle

I was not even wanted at the geek table. I'm convinced that high
school is the reason for 95% of the ****edupedness in the USA.

I believe the notion of locking large groups of teens together in an
small enclosed space will, someday, be considered child abuse.

MJL
March 21st 04, 09:06 PM
On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:33:27 -0600, Lyle McDonald
> wrote:

>ATP wrote:
>
>> Lyle McDonald wrote:

>>>this is rat research. Just FYI.
>>>
>>>Lyle
>>

>> Do they build a special rat cafeteria or just let them loose in the school
>> cafeteria?
>
>And if the latter, do only the cool rats get to sit at the cool tables?
>
>Lyle

I was not even wanted at the geek table. I'm convinced that high
school is the reason for 95% of the ****edupedness in the USA.

I believe the notion of locking large groups of teens together in an
small enclosed space will, someday, be considered child abuse.

geek_girl
March 21st 04, 09:28 PM
In > MJL wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:33:27 -0600, Lyle McDonald
> > wrote:
>
>>ATP wrote:

>>> Do they build a special rat cafeteria or just let them loose in the
>>> school cafeteria?
>>
>>And if the latter, do only the cool rats get to sit at the cool tables?
>>
>>Lyle
>
> I was not even wanted at the geek table.

Shocking.

> I'm convinced that high
> school is the reason for 95% of the ****edupedness in the USA.

I'm convinced that you should get over it.

geek_girl
March 21st 04, 09:28 PM
In > MJL wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:33:27 -0600, Lyle McDonald
> > wrote:
>
>>ATP wrote:

>>> Do they build a special rat cafeteria or just let them loose in the
>>> school cafeteria?
>>
>>And if the latter, do only the cool rats get to sit at the cool tables?
>>
>>Lyle
>
> I was not even wanted at the geek table.

Shocking.

> I'm convinced that high
> school is the reason for 95% of the ****edupedness in the USA.

I'm convinced that you should get over it.

John M. Williams
March 21st 04, 10:01 PM
geek_girl > wrote:
> MJL wrote:
>> Lyle McDonald > wrote:

>>>And if the latter, do only the cool rats get to sit at the cool tables?
>>
>> I was not even wanted at the geek table.
>
>Shocking.
>
>> I'm convinced that high
>> school is the reason for 95% of the ****edupedness in the USA.
>
>I'm convinced that you should get over it.

Thereby surrendering all his self-justifications?

John M. Williams
March 21st 04, 10:01 PM
geek_girl > wrote:
> MJL wrote:
>> Lyle McDonald > wrote:

>>>And if the latter, do only the cool rats get to sit at the cool tables?
>>
>> I was not even wanted at the geek table.
>
>Shocking.
>
>> I'm convinced that high
>> school is the reason for 95% of the ****edupedness in the USA.
>
>I'm convinced that you should get over it.

Thereby surrendering all his self-justifications?

MJL
March 22nd 04, 02:45 AM
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:28:55 GMT, geek_girl
> wrote:

>In > MJL wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:33:27 -0600, Lyle McDonald
>> > wrote:

>>>And if the latter, do only the cool rats get to sit at the cool tables?
>>>
>>>Lyle
>>
>> I was not even wanted at the geek table.
>
>Shocking.

I know, a scandal for sure.

>> I'm convinced that high
>> school is the reason for 95% of the ****edupedness in the USA.
>
>I'm convinced that you should get over it.

Get over what, exactly?

MJL
March 22nd 04, 02:45 AM
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:28:55 GMT, geek_girl
> wrote:

>In > MJL wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:33:27 -0600, Lyle McDonald
>> > wrote:

>>>And if the latter, do only the cool rats get to sit at the cool tables?
>>>
>>>Lyle
>>
>> I was not even wanted at the geek table.
>
>Shocking.

I know, a scandal for sure.

>> I'm convinced that high
>> school is the reason for 95% of the ****edupedness in the USA.
>
>I'm convinced that you should get over it.

Get over what, exactly?

elzinator
March 22nd 04, 03:15 AM
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:28:55 GMT, geek_girl wrote:
>In > MJL wrote:

>> I'm convinced that high
>> school is the reason for 95% of the ****edupedness in the USA.
>
>I'm convinced that you should get over it.

I suspect there is more substance (and evidence) in Mike's comment
than appears on the surface based on decades of conversations with
many people.

High school is the first major peer group environment to have a huge
impact on the development of the young adult. Many people can trace
insecurities and issues back to their high school years. And many have
trouble "getting over it". Some don't.

Very perceptive, Mike.

Beelzibub

The human in us owes fealty to humanity. But the wolf in us acknowledges no master.

elzinator
March 22nd 04, 03:15 AM
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:28:55 GMT, geek_girl wrote:
>In > MJL wrote:

>> I'm convinced that high
>> school is the reason for 95% of the ****edupedness in the USA.
>
>I'm convinced that you should get over it.

I suspect there is more substance (and evidence) in Mike's comment
than appears on the surface based on decades of conversations with
many people.

High school is the first major peer group environment to have a huge
impact on the development of the young adult. Many people can trace
insecurities and issues back to their high school years. And many have
trouble "getting over it". Some don't.

Very perceptive, Mike.

Beelzibub

The human in us owes fealty to humanity. But the wolf in us acknowledges no master.

geek_girl
March 22nd 04, 05:02 AM
In > elzinator wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:28:55 GMT, geek_girl wrote:
>>In > MJL wrote:
>
>>> I'm convinced that high
>>> school is the reason for 95% of the ****edupedness in the USA.
>>
>>I'm convinced that you should get over it.
>
> I suspect there is more substance (and evidence) in Mike's comment
> than appears on the surface based on decades of conversations with
> many people.

I don't doubt that at all. I know many people who were deeply affected
by the abuse they got in high school.

> High school is the first major peer group environment to have a huge
> impact on the development of the young adult. Many people can trace
> insecurities and issues back to their high school years. And many have
> trouble "getting over it". Some don't.

I know a lot of them don't. But they should. And really, when I made
that comment to Mike, I had my sister in mind. She needs to just freakin
get over it. I had an even worse time than she did in high school, but
somehow I managed to get past it. Almost 20 years later, it's a really
lame excuse for not being able to live a semi-normal life and hold down
a job.

> Very perceptive, Mike.
>

> Beelzibub
>
> The human in us owes fealty to humanity. But the wolf in us
> acknowledges no master.

geek_girl
March 22nd 04, 05:02 AM
In > elzinator wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:28:55 GMT, geek_girl wrote:
>>In > MJL wrote:
>
>>> I'm convinced that high
>>> school is the reason for 95% of the ****edupedness in the USA.
>>
>>I'm convinced that you should get over it.
>
> I suspect there is more substance (and evidence) in Mike's comment
> than appears on the surface based on decades of conversations with
> many people.

I don't doubt that at all. I know many people who were deeply affected
by the abuse they got in high school.

> High school is the first major peer group environment to have a huge
> impact on the development of the young adult. Many people can trace
> insecurities and issues back to their high school years. And many have
> trouble "getting over it". Some don't.

I know a lot of them don't. But they should. And really, when I made
that comment to Mike, I had my sister in mind. She needs to just freakin
get over it. I had an even worse time than she did in high school, but
somehow I managed to get past it. Almost 20 years later, it's a really
lame excuse for not being able to live a semi-normal life and hold down
a job.

> Very perceptive, Mike.
>

> Beelzibub
>
> The human in us owes fealty to humanity. But the wolf in us
> acknowledges no master.

Pat Styles
March 22nd 04, 03:50 PM
"elzinator" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:28:55 GMT, geek_girl wrote:
> >In > MJL wrote:
>
> >> I'm convinced that high
> >> school is the reason for 95% of the ****edupedness in the USA.
> >
> >I'm convinced that you should get over it.
>
> I suspect there is more substance (and evidence) in Mike's comment
> than appears on the surface based on decades of conversations with
> many people.
>
> High school is the first major peer group environment to have a huge
> impact on the development of the young adult. Many people can trace
> insecurities and issues back to their high school years. And many have
> trouble "getting over it". Some don't.

I'd say it's actually junior high, or middle school, but I remember some very
nasty stuff going all the way back to elementary school. Humans are pack
animals and packs have pecking orders. Establishing the pecking order is not
pleasant be it a physical or emotional exercise. Getting over it? That's what
the rest of your life is for.
ps

Pat Styles
March 22nd 04, 03:50 PM
"elzinator" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:28:55 GMT, geek_girl wrote:
> >In > MJL wrote:
>
> >> I'm convinced that high
> >> school is the reason for 95% of the ****edupedness in the USA.
> >
> >I'm convinced that you should get over it.
>
> I suspect there is more substance (and evidence) in Mike's comment
> than appears on the surface based on decades of conversations with
> many people.
>
> High school is the first major peer group environment to have a huge
> impact on the development of the young adult. Many people can trace
> insecurities and issues back to their high school years. And many have
> trouble "getting over it". Some don't.

I'd say it's actually junior high, or middle school, but I remember some very
nasty stuff going all the way back to elementary school. Humans are pack
animals and packs have pecking orders. Establishing the pecking order is not
pleasant be it a physical or emotional exercise. Getting over it? That's what
the rest of your life is for.
ps

Proton Soup
March 22nd 04, 06:32 PM
On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 07:50:47 -0800, "Pat Styles"
> wrote:

>"elzinator" > wrote in message

>> >I'm convinced that you should get over it.
>>
>> I suspect there is more substance (and evidence) in Mike's comment
>> than appears on the surface based on decades of conversations with
>> many people.
>>
>> High school is the first major peer group environment to have a huge
>> impact on the development of the young adult. Many people can trace
>> insecurities and issues back to their high school years. And many have
>> trouble "getting over it". Some don't.
>
>I'd say it's actually junior high, or middle school, but I remember some very
>nasty stuff going all the way back to elementary school. Humans are pack
>animals and packs have pecking orders. Establishing the pecking order is not
>pleasant be it a physical or emotional exercise. Getting over it? That's what
>the rest of your life is for.

Easy. When you escape the concentration camp, go buy a gun. Then you
can poke holes in any of the old pack members that still want to take
a peck at you.

Proton Soup

Proton Soup
March 22nd 04, 06:32 PM
On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 07:50:47 -0800, "Pat Styles"
> wrote:

>"elzinator" > wrote in message

>> >I'm convinced that you should get over it.
>>
>> I suspect there is more substance (and evidence) in Mike's comment
>> than appears on the surface based on decades of conversations with
>> many people.
>>
>> High school is the first major peer group environment to have a huge
>> impact on the development of the young adult. Many people can trace
>> insecurities and issues back to their high school years. And many have
>> trouble "getting over it". Some don't.
>
>I'd say it's actually junior high, or middle school, but I remember some very
>nasty stuff going all the way back to elementary school. Humans are pack
>animals and packs have pecking orders. Establishing the pecking order is not
>pleasant be it a physical or emotional exercise. Getting over it? That's what
>the rest of your life is for.

Easy. When you escape the concentration camp, go buy a gun. Then you
can poke holes in any of the old pack members that still want to take
a peck at you.

Proton Soup

MJL
March 23rd 04, 03:27 AM
On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:32:00 GMT, Proton Soup <> wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 07:50:47 -0800, "Pat Styles"
> wrote:

>>> I suspect there is more substance (and evidence) in Mike's comment
>>> than appears on the surface based on decades of conversations with
>>> many people.
>>>
>>> High school is the first major peer group environment to have a huge
>>> impact on the development of the young adult. Many people can trace
>>> insecurities and issues back to their high school years. And many have
>>> trouble "getting over it". Some don't.
>>
>>I'd say it's actually junior high, or middle school, but I remember some very
>>nasty stuff going all the way back to elementary school. Humans are pack
>>animals and packs have pecking orders. Establishing the pecking order is not
>>pleasant be it a physical or emotional exercise. Getting over it? That's what
>>the rest of your life is for.
>
>Easy. When you escape the concentration camp, go buy a gun. Then you
>can poke holes in any of the old pack members that still want to take
>a peck at you.
>
>Proton Soup

Problem is that the kings of high school are often down and out losers
10 years later.

I'd say it took me till I was almost 30 to really "get over it" and I
think that is a horrid waste of my, and everyone else's, time. Purely
from a productivity standpoint the current method of "educating" the
masses of children is horridly bad.

MJL
March 23rd 04, 03:27 AM
On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:32:00 GMT, Proton Soup <> wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 07:50:47 -0800, "Pat Styles"
> wrote:

>>> I suspect there is more substance (and evidence) in Mike's comment
>>> than appears on the surface based on decades of conversations with
>>> many people.
>>>
>>> High school is the first major peer group environment to have a huge
>>> impact on the development of the young adult. Many people can trace
>>> insecurities and issues back to their high school years. And many have
>>> trouble "getting over it". Some don't.
>>
>>I'd say it's actually junior high, or middle school, but I remember some very
>>nasty stuff going all the way back to elementary school. Humans are pack
>>animals and packs have pecking orders. Establishing the pecking order is not
>>pleasant be it a physical or emotional exercise. Getting over it? That's what
>>the rest of your life is for.
>
>Easy. When you escape the concentration camp, go buy a gun. Then you
>can poke holes in any of the old pack members that still want to take
>a peck at you.
>
>Proton Soup

Problem is that the kings of high school are often down and out losers
10 years later.

I'd say it took me till I was almost 30 to really "get over it" and I
think that is a horrid waste of my, and everyone else's, time. Purely
from a productivity standpoint the current method of "educating" the
masses of children is horridly bad.

Proton Soup
March 23rd 04, 05:14 AM
On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 03:27:53 GMT, MJL > wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:32:00 GMT, Proton Soup <> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 07:50:47 -0800, "Pat Styles"
> wrote:

>>>I'd say it's actually junior high, or middle school, but I remember some very
>>>nasty stuff going all the way back to elementary school. Humans are pack
>>>animals and packs have pecking orders. Establishing the pecking order is not
>>>pleasant be it a physical or emotional exercise. Getting over it? That's what
>>>the rest of your life is for.
>>
>>Easy. When you escape the concentration camp, go buy a gun. Then you
>>can poke holes in any of the old pack members that still want to take
>>a peck at you.
>>
>>Proton Soup
>
>Problem is that the kings of high school are often down and out losers
>10 years later.
>
>I'd say it took me till I was almost 30 to really "get over it" and I
>think that is a horrid waste of my, and everyone else's, time. Purely
>from a productivity standpoint the current method of "educating" the
>masses of children is horridly bad.

Yeah, if homeschooling worked for Abe Lincoln, I'm sure it's good
enough for you and me, too.

Proton Soup

Proton Soup
March 23rd 04, 05:14 AM
On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 03:27:53 GMT, MJL > wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:32:00 GMT, Proton Soup <> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 07:50:47 -0800, "Pat Styles"
> wrote:

>>>I'd say it's actually junior high, or middle school, but I remember some very
>>>nasty stuff going all the way back to elementary school. Humans are pack
>>>animals and packs have pecking orders. Establishing the pecking order is not
>>>pleasant be it a physical or emotional exercise. Getting over it? That's what
>>>the rest of your life is for.
>>
>>Easy. When you escape the concentration camp, go buy a gun. Then you
>>can poke holes in any of the old pack members that still want to take
>>a peck at you.
>>
>>Proton Soup
>
>Problem is that the kings of high school are often down and out losers
>10 years later.
>
>I'd say it took me till I was almost 30 to really "get over it" and I
>think that is a horrid waste of my, and everyone else's, time. Purely
>from a productivity standpoint the current method of "educating" the
>masses of children is horridly bad.

Yeah, if homeschooling worked for Abe Lincoln, I'm sure it's good
enough for you and me, too.

Proton Soup

John M. Williams
March 23rd 04, 05:50 AM
MJL > wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:32:00 GMT, Proton Soup <> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 07:50:47 -0800, "Pat Styles"
> wrote:

>>>I'd say it's actually junior high, or middle school, but I remember some very
>>>nasty stuff going all the way back to elementary school. Humans are pack
>>>animals and packs have pecking orders. Establishing the pecking order is not
>>>pleasant be it a physical or emotional exercise. Getting over it? That's what
>>>the rest of your life is for.
>>
>>Easy. When you escape the concentration camp, go buy a gun. Then you
>>can poke holes in any of the old pack members that still want to take
>>a peck at you.
>
>Problem is that the kings of high school are often down and out losers
>10 years later.
>
>I'd say it took me till I was almost 30 to really "get over it" ...

That's because there's a difference between "nerd" and "psycho-social
basket case."

John M. Williams
March 23rd 04, 05:50 AM
MJL > wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:32:00 GMT, Proton Soup <> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 07:50:47 -0800, "Pat Styles"
> wrote:

>>>I'd say it's actually junior high, or middle school, but I remember some very
>>>nasty stuff going all the way back to elementary school. Humans are pack
>>>animals and packs have pecking orders. Establishing the pecking order is not
>>>pleasant be it a physical or emotional exercise. Getting over it? That's what
>>>the rest of your life is for.
>>
>>Easy. When you escape the concentration camp, go buy a gun. Then you
>>can poke holes in any of the old pack members that still want to take
>>a peck at you.
>
>Problem is that the kings of high school are often down and out losers
>10 years later.
>
>I'd say it took me till I was almost 30 to really "get over it" ...

That's because there's a difference between "nerd" and "psycho-social
basket case."

elzinator
March 24th 04, 02:08 AM
On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 07:50:47 -0800, Pat Styles wrote:
>"elzinator" > wrote in message

>> >I'm convinced that you should get over it.
>>
>> I suspect there is more substance (and evidence) in Mike's comment
>> than appears on the surface based on decades of conversations with
>> many people.
>>
>> High school is the first major peer group environment to have a huge
>> impact on the development of the young adult. Many people can trace
>> insecurities and issues back to their high school years. And many have
>> trouble "getting over it". Some don't.
>
>I'd say it's actually junior high, or middle school, but I remember some very
>nasty stuff going all the way back to elementary school. Humans are pack
>animals and packs have pecking orders. Establishing the pecking order is not
>pleasant be it a physical or emotional exercise. Getting over it? That's what
>the rest of your life is for.

Some individuals socially develop and grow in the environment of
public schools, other don't. Part of that is dependent on their
inherent personality traits and their family environment (either
supportive or unsupportive). However, the microenvironment of schools
can be very influential on the development of an individual,
especially teenagers who are in the flux of raging hormones and
immaturity.

Some get over it, but I see many people who continue to repeat the
same patterns in their adult life.