PDA

View Full Version : What equipment should I purchase? Newbie!!

Ken
April 19th 04, 11:11 PM
I'm new to this and would like some input on what I need to purchase.
Any help would be appreciated.

I'm from Canada and found a website called http://www.fitnesssource.ca

The site seems to have some good deals.

I'm thinking about buying an Olympic 300lb Set
http://www.fitnesssource.ca/product_info.php?cPath=18_120_203&products_id=193

I also need a bench. But don't know what I should buy.

Is there anything else I need to purchase to get started?

Rambo Four Sythia
April 20th 04, 01:54 AM
(Ken) writes:

> I'm new to this and would like some input on what I need to purchase.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> I'm from Canada and found a website called http://www.fitnesssource.ca
>
> The site seems to have some good deals.
>
> I'm thinking about buying an Olympic 300lb Set
> http://www.fitnesssource.ca/product_info.php?cPath=18_120_203&products_id=193

Great idea! You'll be able to do many exercises.

> I also need a bench. But don't know what I should buy.
>
> Is there anything else I need to purchase to get started?

If you get a power cage (AKA squat rack, full cage, and other names)
you will be able to bench press safely without a spotter by putting
any bench inside the cage. The safety rails are also good for
squats, barbell holds, etc.

Here are a couple pictures of the contraption of which I speak:

http://www.fitnesssource.ca/product_info.php?products_id=1506http://www.fitnesssource.ca
http://www.bodysolid.com/BSStrength/FreeweightSystems/WPR78/WPR78.html

I don't even have a proper bench, using two upright cinder blocks with
a two-by-eight board sitting across them.

--
R4S

Rambo Four Sythia
April 20th 04, 01:54 AM
(Ken) writes:

> I'm new to this and would like some input on what I need to purchase.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> I'm from Canada and found a website called http://www.fitnesssource.ca
>
> The site seems to have some good deals.
>
> I'm thinking about buying an Olympic 300lb Set
> http://www.fitnesssource.ca/product_info.php?cPath=18_120_203&products_id=193

Great idea! You'll be able to do many exercises.

> I also need a bench. But don't know what I should buy.
>
> Is there anything else I need to purchase to get started?

If you get a power cage (AKA squat rack, full cage, and other names)
you will be able to bench press safely without a spotter by putting
any bench inside the cage. The safety rails are also good for
squats, barbell holds, etc.

Here are a couple pictures of the contraption of which I speak:

http://www.fitnesssource.ca/product_info.php?products_id=1506http://www.fitnesssource.ca
http://www.bodysolid.com/BSStrength/FreeweightSystems/WPR78/WPR78.html

I don't even have a proper bench, using two upright cinder blocks with
a two-by-eight board sitting across them.

--
R4S

Ken
April 22nd 04, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the info. the power rack looks like a very useful machine.
Is the POWERLINE FITNESS PR178 power rack at fitnesssource good?

Also, does it matter what type of bench i get?

Thanks

Ken
April 22nd 04, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the info. the power rack looks like a very useful machine.
Is the POWERLINE FITNESS PR178 power rack at fitnesssource good?

Also, does it matter what type of bench i get?

Thanks

Ken
April 22nd 04, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the info. the power rack looks like a very useful machine.
Is the POWERLINE FITNESS PR178 power rack at fitnesssource good?

Also, does it matter what type of bench i get?

Thanks

Rambo Four Sythia
April 23rd 04, 01:33 AM
(Ken) writes:

> Thanks for the info. the power rack looks like a very useful machine.
> Is the POWERLINE FITNESS PR178 power rack at fitnesssource good?

I don't know. I got the Body Solid one, and it's great for now.

> Also, does it matter what type of bench i get?

Some people like benches that can adjust for an incline. If you
forsee ever doing incline bench presses, that would be good.

Some people do powerlifting compeditively and seek benches that are as
close as possible to the official specifications set by their
federation.

Some people say leg extensions are not a good exercise and make fun of
benches that have leg extension attachments.

--
R4S

Rambo Four Sythia
April 23rd 04, 01:33 AM

(Ken) writes:

> Thanks for the info. the power rack looks like a very useful machine.
> Is the POWERLINE FITNESS PR178 power rack at fitnesssource good?

I don't know. I got the Body Solid one, and it's great for now.

> Also, does it matter what type of bench i get?

Some people like benches that can adjust for an incline. If you
forsee ever doing incline bench presses, that would be good.

Some people do powerlifting compeditively and seek benches that are as
close as possible to the official specifications set by their
federation.

Some people say leg extensions are not a good exercise and make fun of
benches that have leg extension attachments.

--
R4S

Lee Michaels
April 23rd 04, 02:29 AM
"Rambo Four Sythia" wrote

> Some people say leg extensions are not a good exercise and make fun of
> benches that have leg extension attachments.

This is true. I have been know to make crude gestures and obscene remarks
about such benches myself.

Seriously though, the more "attachments" and junk they put on equipment, the
less likely the money is going for quality equipment. Simple is better.

Lee Michaels
April 23rd 04, 02:29 AM
"Rambo Four Sythia" wrote

> Some people say leg extensions are not a good exercise and make fun of
> benches that have leg extension attachments.

This is true. I have been know to make crude gestures and obscene remarks
about such benches myself.

Seriously though, the more "attachments" and junk they put on equipment, the
less likely the money is going for quality equipment. Simple is better.

Lee Michaels
April 23rd 04, 02:29 AM
"Rambo Four Sythia" wrote

> Some people say leg extensions are not a good exercise and make fun of
> benches that have leg extension attachments.

This is true. I have been know to make crude gestures and obscene remarks
about such benches myself.

Seriously though, the more "attachments" and junk they put on equipment, the
less likely the money is going for quality equipment. Simple is better.

Ken
April 26th 04, 03:12 AM
Thanks for the help

I was looking at a KEYS FID2 BENCH
http://www.fitnesssource.ca/product_info.php?products_id=2416

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what they think.