PDA

View Full Version : Training update (Masters)

John Hanson
April 22nd 04, 04:24 AM
I may back down 2.5 kilos or so in the bench. I failed to cleanly
lockout 302.5 pounds in the bench Monday. Last Wednesday I did a real
good 305 which I thought I had another 10 pounds in me. But, I have a
history of hitting a good number right before a meet and can't do 10
pounds less in the meet. One thing I plan on doing is bench at least
2 more times before the meet. I won't go real heavy though.

On a brighter note, I did a fairly easy double at 465 tonight in the
squat. I really would like to go for 501 but I figure I'd better play
it a bit more conservative for once.

Watson Davis
April 22nd 04, 05:47 AM
John Hanson > wrote in
:

> I may back down 2.5 kilos or so in the bench. I failed to cleanly
> lockout 302.5 pounds in the bench Monday. Last Wednesday I did a real
> good 305 which I thought I had another 10 pounds in me. But, I have a
> history of hitting a good number right before a meet and can't do 10
> pounds less in the meet. One thing I plan on doing is bench at least
> 2 more times before the meet. I won't go real heavy though.
>
> On a brighter note, I did a fairly easy double at 465 tonight in the
> squat. I really would like to go for 501 but I figure I'd better play
> it a bit more conservative for once.

Congrats, man!

Today, I tied my best ever 3 rep squat (365#) that I set when I was 20#
heavier and set a new 6 rep DL PR (340#). Monday, I hit my best ever 3 rep
bench (195#) and got a new 6 rep Squat PR (335#).

Friday, it's 3 rep DL day and 6 rep bench day.

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

Watson Davis
April 22nd 04, 05:47 AM
John Hanson > wrote in
:

> I may back down 2.5 kilos or so in the bench. I failed to cleanly
> lockout 302.5 pounds in the bench Monday. Last Wednesday I did a real
> good 305 which I thought I had another 10 pounds in me. But, I have a
> history of hitting a good number right before a meet and can't do 10
> pounds less in the meet. One thing I plan on doing is bench at least
> 2 more times before the meet. I won't go real heavy though.
>
> On a brighter note, I did a fairly easy double at 465 tonight in the
> squat. I really would like to go for 501 but I figure I'd better play
> it a bit more conservative for once.

Congrats, man!

Today, I tied my best ever 3 rep squat (365#) that I set when I was 20#
heavier and set a new 6 rep DL PR (340#). Monday, I hit my best ever 3 rep
bench (195#) and got a new 6 rep Squat PR (335#).

Friday, it's 3 rep DL day and 6 rep bench day.

Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

bc
April 22nd 04, 10:50 PM
John Hanson > wrote in message >...
> I may back down 2.5 kilos or so in the bench. I failed to cleanly
> lockout 302.5 pounds in the bench Monday. Last Wednesday I did a real
> good 305 which I thought I had another 10 pounds in me. But, I have a
> history of hitting a good number right before a meet and can't do 10
> pounds less in the meet. One thing I plan on doing is bench at least
> 2 more times before the meet. I won't go real heavy though.
>
> On a brighter note, I did a fairly easy double at 465 tonight in the
> squat. I really would like to go for 501 but I figure I'd better play
> it a bit more conservative for once.

Ok, so take this for what it's worth from a newbie who's never
competed, but it sounds like you've talked yourself out of a 315 bench
at the meet. If you could keep your focus on that 305 with reserve,
and convince yourself that the additional 10 was there, you would want
to go for the 315, wouldn't you? Forget the past stuff. It's just
holding you back I think.

- bc

bc
April 22nd 04, 10:50 PM
John Hanson > wrote in message >...
> I may back down 2.5 kilos or so in the bench. I failed to cleanly
> lockout 302.5 pounds in the bench Monday. Last Wednesday I did a real
> good 305 which I thought I had another 10 pounds in me. But, I have a
> history of hitting a good number right before a meet and can't do 10
> pounds less in the meet. One thing I plan on doing is bench at least
> 2 more times before the meet. I won't go real heavy though.
>
> On a brighter note, I did a fairly easy double at 465 tonight in the
> squat. I really would like to go for 501 but I figure I'd better play
> it a bit more conservative for once.

Ok, so take this for what it's worth from a newbie who's never
competed, but it sounds like you've talked yourself out of a 315 bench
at the meet. If you could keep your focus on that 305 with reserve,
and convince yourself that the additional 10 was there, you would want
to go for the 315, wouldn't you? Forget the past stuff. It's just
holding you back I think.

- bc

bc
April 22nd 04, 10:50 PM
John Hanson > wrote in message >...
> I may back down 2.5 kilos or so in the bench. I failed to cleanly
> lockout 302.5 pounds in the bench Monday. Last Wednesday I did a real
> good 305 which I thought I had another 10 pounds in me. But, I have a
> history of hitting a good number right before a meet and can't do 10
> pounds less in the meet. One thing I plan on doing is bench at least
> 2 more times before the meet. I won't go real heavy though.
>
> On a brighter note, I did a fairly easy double at 465 tonight in the
> squat. I really would like to go for 501 but I figure I'd better play
> it a bit more conservative for once.

Ok, so take this for what it's worth from a newbie who's never
competed, but it sounds like you've talked yourself out of a 315 bench
at the meet. If you could keep your focus on that 305 with reserve,
and convince yourself that the additional 10 was there, you would want
to go for the 315, wouldn't you? Forget the past stuff. It's just
holding you back I think.

- bc

John Hanson
April 22nd 04, 11:16 PM
On 22 Apr 2004 14:50:22 -0700, (bc) wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

>John Hanson > wrote in message >...
>> I may back down 2.5 kilos or so in the bench. I failed to cleanly
>> lockout 302.5 pounds in the bench Monday. Last Wednesday I did a real
>> good 305 which I thought I had another 10 pounds in me. But, I have a
>> history of hitting a good number right before a meet and can't do 10
>> pounds less in the meet. One thing I plan on doing is bench at least
>> 2 more times before the meet. I won't go real heavy though.
>>
>> On a brighter note, I did a fairly easy double at 465 tonight in the
>> squat. I really would like to go for 501 but I figure I'd better play
>> it a bit more conservative for once.
>
>Ok, so take this for what it's worth from a newbie who's never
>competed, but it sounds like you've talked yourself out of a 315 bench
>at the meet. If you could keep your focus on that 305 with reserve,
>and convince yourself that the additional 10 was there, you would want
>to go for the 315, wouldn't you? Forget the past stuff. It's just
>holding you back I think.

Good point! I'm still planning on going for it depending on my second
attempt though. That is why I'm going to continue to add extra bench
sessions.

I added a heavy triceps day about 6 weeks ago but missed it the last
two weeks. So I did 3 worksets after squats last night with close
grip bench press (really close too...the hands half on the knurling).
Friday I'll do a regular bench without a shirt and do heavy triceps
Sunday morning. Then I'll do an opener Monday with Will in Santa Cruz
along with a light squat and deadlift workout.

I've found that the Hudson crew's bench schedule is has too much rest
between bench workouts for me. I feel like I detrain if I don't do it
at minimum every 3-4 days. I think it works for them because they
have all been benching regularly for at least 15 years. I have a long
involved theory on the difference in volume, intensity and rest
between the beginner and the guy who is near his genetic peak that I
won't go into right now as this post would get even longer.

> [...]

I added a heavy triceps day about 6 weeks ago but missed it the last
two weeks. So I did 3 worksets after squats last night with close
grip bench press (really close too...the hands half on the knurling).
Friday I'll do a regular bench without a shirt and do heavy triceps
Sunday morning. Then I'll do an opener Monday with Will in Santa Cruz
along with a light squat and deadlift workout.

I've found that the Hudson crew's bench schedule is has too much rest
between bench workouts for me. I feel like I detrain if I don't do it
at minimum every 3-4 days. I think it works for them because they
have all been benching regularly for at least 15 years. I have a long
involved theory on the difference in volume, intensity and rest
between the beginner and the guy who is near his genetic peak that I
won't go into right now as this post would get even longer.

Lyle McDonald
April 23rd 04, 12:05 AM
John Hanson wrote:

> I added a heavy triceps day about 6 weeks ago but missed it the last
> two weeks. So I did 3 worksets after squats last night with close
> grip bench press (really close too...the hands half on the knurling).

Feh.
Try decline nose breakers (or JM press) heavy on one day and lockouts on
the other.

> Friday I'll do a regular bench without a shirt and do heavy triceps
> Sunday morning. Then I'll do an opener Monday with Will in Santa Cruz
> along with a light squat and deadlift workout.
>
> I've found that the Hudson crew's bench schedule is has too much rest
> between bench workouts for me. I feel like I detrain if I don't do it
> at minimum every 3-4 days.

you're not alone in this. Conisder doing your last heavy bench workout
on Tue (opener at 90% is probably fine) before a Sat meet. Make thu a
loosening up workout, few speed singles to keep your groove.

Lyle

Lyle McDonald
April 23rd 04, 12:05 AM

John Hanson wrote:

> I added a heavy triceps day about 6 weeks ago but missed it the last
> two weeks. So I did 3 worksets after squats last night with close
> grip bench press (really close too...the hands half on the knurling).

Feh.
Try decline nose breakers (or JM press) heavy on one day and lockouts on
the other.

> Friday I'll do a regular bench without a shirt and do heavy triceps
> Sunday morning. Then I'll do an opener Monday with Will in Santa Cruz
> along with a light squat and deadlift workout.
>
> I've found that the Hudson crew's bench schedule is has too much rest
> between bench workouts for me. I feel like I detrain if I don't do it
> at minimum every 3-4 days.

you're not alone in this. Conisder doing your last heavy bench workout
on Tue (opener at 90% is probably fine) before a Sat meet. Make thu a
loosening up workout, few speed singles to keep your groove.

Lyle

John Hanson
April 23rd 04, 12:17 AM
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:05:19 -0500, Lyle McDonald
> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>John Hanson wrote:
>
>> I added a heavy triceps day about 6 weeks ago but missed it the last
>> two weeks. So I did 3 worksets after squats last night with close
>> grip bench press (really close too...the hands half on the knurling).
>
>Feh.
>Try decline nose breakers (or JM press) heavy on one day and lockouts on
>the other.
>
>> Friday I'll do a regular bench without a shirt and do heavy triceps
>> Sunday morning. Then I'll do an opener Monday with Will in Santa Cruz
>> along with a light squat and deadlift workout.
>>
>> I've found that the Hudson crew's bench schedule is has too much rest
>> between bench workouts for me. I feel like I detrain if I don't do it
>> at minimum every 3-4 days.
>
>you're not alone in this. Conisder doing your last heavy bench workout
>on Tue (opener at 90% is probably fine) before a Sat meet. Make thu a
>loosening up workout, few speed singles to keep your groove.

I may have to do some speed pushups as I will be cruising up and down
the Northern California Coast that night.