PDA

View Full Version : hyperlordosis

ML
May 5th 04, 09:48 PM
Anybody have any recommended exercises for reducing/eliminating/avoiding
hyperlordosis? Can anyone tell me what exercises may cause/exacerbate
this? Currently training for powerlifting; Sheiko and such and such.

Thanks,

Mark

Lyle McDonald
May 5th 04, 10:19 PM
ML wrote:

> Anybody have any recommended exercises for reducing/eliminating/avoiding
> hyperlordosis? Can anyone tell me what exercises may cause/exacerbate
> this? Currently training for powerlifting; Sheiko and such and such.

Generally speaking:

Stretch low back, stretch hip flexors
strengthen hamstrings, strengthen abs (esp. 'lower' abs).

Lyle

Steve Freides
May 6th 04, 02:23 PM
"ML" > wrote in message
> Anybody have any recommended exercises for reducing/eliminating/avoiding
> hyperlordosis? Can anyone tell me what exercises may cause/exacerbate
> this? Currently training for powerlifting; Sheiko and such and such.

Could you talk a little more about why you're concerned about this? I come
from the opposite place - insufficient lourdosis most of the time and I work
hard at getting more of it, not less.

Thanks.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Lampi
May 7th 04, 02:00 AM
Steve Freides wrote:
> "ML" > wrote in message
>
>>Anybody have any recommended exercises for reducing/eliminating/avoiding
>>hyperlordosis? Can anyone tell me what exercises may cause/exacerbate
>>this? Currently training for powerlifting; Sheiko and such and such.
>

> Could you talk a little more about why you're concerned about this? I come
> from the opposite place - insufficient lourdosis most of the time and I work
> hard at getting more of it, not less.

Steve,

I have chronic back pain, and have heard from a few sources (a trusted
RMT, and MD) that hyperlordosis could cause this, and that alleviating
it will (hopefully) reduce my pain. After massage therapy to loosen me
up, I always feel good for a while. Check this article out:

Phys Ther. 2003 Oct;83(10):907-17. Lumbar posture--should it, and can
it, be modified? A study of passive tissue stiffness and lumbar position
during activities of daily living.

Scannell JP, McGill SM.

There is an exercise scheme that they used to treat both hyper and
hypolordosis. If you can't download it, send me an email and I can get
you a PDF.

Mark

Darryl Licke
May 7th 04, 05:22 AM
"Lyle McDonald" > wrote in message
> ML wrote:
> >
> > Anybody have any recommended exercises for reducing/eliminating/avoiding
> > hyperlordosis? Can anyone tell me what exercises may cause/exacerbate
> > this? Currently training for powerlifting; Sheiko and such and such.
>
> Generally speaking:
>
> Stretch low back, stretch hip flexors
> strengthen hamstrings, strengthen abs (esp. 'lower' abs).
>
> Lyle

This sounds like what I'm doing right now for my back. Intially I had
extreme movement backwards in comparison to forwards.

Steve Freides
May 7th 04, 02:46 PM
"Lampi" > wrote in message
et.cable.rogers.com...
> Steve Freides wrote:
> > "ML" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Anybody have any recommended exercises for reducing/eliminating/avoiding
> >>hyperlordosis? Can anyone tell me what exercises may cause/exacerbate
> >>this? Currently training for powerlifting; Sheiko and such and such.
> >

> > Could you talk a little more about why you're concerned about this? I
come
> > from the opposite place - insufficient lourdosis most of the time and I
work
> > hard at getting more of it, not less.
> >

> Steve,
>
> I have chronic back pain, and have heard from a few sources (a trusted
> RMT, and MD) that hyperlordosis could cause this, and that alleviating
> it will (hopefully) reduce my pain. After massage therapy to loosen me
> up, I always feel good for a while. Check this article out:
>
> Phys Ther. 2003 Oct;83(10):907-17. Lumbar posture--should it, and can
> it, be modified? A study of passive tissue stiffness and lumbar position
> during activities of daily living.
>
> Scannell JP, McGill SM.
>
> There is an exercise scheme that they used to treat both hyper and
> hypolordosis. If you can't download it, send me an email and I can get
> you a PDF.
>
> Mark

This is my real email address. I'd be delighted to read the article.

My lower back is just generally stiff as well but it's largely painfree
these days. I'm working on it all the time and I've got lots of ideas,
based on my own experience, about things you could try, but I'm certainly
interested in what the experts have to say, too.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Jay
May 8th 04, 08:29 PM
"Lyle McDonald" > wrote in message
> ML wrote:
> >
> > Anybody have any recommended exercises for reducing/eliminating/avoiding
> > hyperlordosis? Can anyone tell me what exercises may cause/exacerbate
> > this? Currently training for powerlifting; Sheiko and such and such.
>
> Generally speaking:
>
> Stretch low back, stretch hip flexors
> strengthen hamstrings, strengthen abs (esp. 'lower' abs).
>
> Lyle

stretch and strengthen glutes in addition to all Lyle said. Weak glutes can
shift the burden to the hammies, shortening them.