PDA

View Full Version : Aspirin and the bodybuilder

Partho Bhowmick
May 14th 04, 12:57 AM
is there a downside to using aspirin? I take 81mg tablets (what is used for
aspirin therapy)? they surely help with the muscle aches and the like, but I
wondered what the downside of such regular doses (albeit smaller than the
usual strength used to relieve pain & fever) be?

David Cohen
May 14th 04, 01:12 AM
"Partho Bhowmick" > wrote
> is there a downside to using aspirin? I take 81mg tablets (what is
used for
> aspirin therapy)? they surely help with the muscle aches and the
like, but I
> wondered what the downside of such regular doses (albeit smaller
than the
> usual strength used to relieve pain & fever) be?

I have to assume you are using 81mg tablets because of a heart
condition, or as cardiac prophylaxis. In which case, why haven't you
discussed the benefits and risks of aspirin with your doctor? Of
course there's a downside! There's a downside to all drug treatments.
It's a matter of weighing the risks versus the benefits for your
particular circumstances. If you at high risk of a thrombus-mediated
vascular event...a myocardial infarction or a stroke...due to strong
family history or personal history or lifestyle factors, etc...then
the benefits may outweigh the risks...increased bleeding post-op or
post-trauma, increased risk of hemorrhagic stroke, etc.

Too small a dose doesn't help with pain, but does cause risk, so, if
for some weird reason, you're using tiny doses for pain rather than to
decrease platelet aggregation, stop it! Use the proper dose. Go talk
to your doctor about the risk/benefit analysis for YOU.

David

David Cohen
May 14th 04, 01:12 AM
"Partho Bhowmick" > wrote
> is there a downside to using aspirin? I take 81mg tablets (what is
used for
> aspirin therapy)? they surely help with the muscle aches and the
like, but I
> wondered what the downside of such regular doses (albeit smaller
than the
> usual strength used to relieve pain & fever) be?

I have to assume you are using 81mg tablets because of a heart
condition, or as cardiac prophylaxis. In which case, why haven't you
discussed the benefits and risks of aspirin with your doctor? Of
course there's a downside! There's a downside to all drug treatments.
It's a matter of weighing the risks versus the benefits for your
particular circumstances. If you at high risk of a thrombus-mediated
vascular event...a myocardial infarction or a stroke...due to strong
family history or personal history or lifestyle factors, etc...then
the benefits may outweigh the risks...increased bleeding post-op or
post-trauma, increased risk of hemorrhagic stroke, etc.

Too small a dose doesn't help with pain, but does cause risk, so, if
for some weird reason, you're using tiny doses for pain rather than to
decrease platelet aggregation, stop it! Use the proper dose. Go talk
to your doctor about the risk/benefit analysis for YOU.

David

Peter Webb
May 14th 04, 01:57 AM
While we are on this topic, I have always wondered why the A in an ECA
stack? Unlike the othe two, its not a stimulant, so I can't see it
increasing metabolism or decreasing hunger ...

"David Cohen" > wrote in message
link.net...

> [...]

> condition, or as cardiac prophylaxis. In which case, why haven't you
> discussed the benefits and risks of aspirin with your doctor? Of
> course there's a downside! There's a downside to all drug treatments.
> It's a matter of weighing the risks versus the benefits for your
> particular circumstances. If you at high risk of a thrombus-mediated
> vascular event...a myocardial infarction or a stroke...due to strong
> family history or personal history or lifestyle factors, etc...then
> the benefits may outweigh the risks...increased bleeding post-op or
> post-trauma, increased risk of hemorrhagic stroke, etc.
>
> Too small a dose doesn't help with pain, but does cause risk, so, if
> for some weird reason, you're using tiny doses for pain rather than to
> decrease platelet aggregation, stop it! Use the proper dose. Go talk
> to your doctor about the risk/benefit analysis for YOU.

Lee Michaels
May 14th 04, 03:24 AM
"Peter Webb" > wrote in message
u...
> While we are on this topic, I have always wondered why the A in an ECA
> stack? Unlike the othe two, its not a stimulant, so I can't see it
> increasing metabolism or decreasing hunger ...

This has been discussed a million times on here. The aspirin is NOT
necessary. An early study showed that it helped with very obese women. Later
studies showed it did little or nothing for the vast majority of people.

And aspirin may not be a stimulant. But when I have taken it for a headache
a few times with an EC stack, it DID heighten the stimulant effect of the EC
stack a little. At least for me. YMMV

Lee Michaels
May 14th 04, 03:24 AM
"Peter Webb" > wrote in message
u...
> While we are on this topic, I have always wondered why the A in an ECA
> stack? Unlike the othe two, its not a stimulant, so I can't see it
> increasing metabolism or decreasing hunger ...

This has been discussed a million times on here. The aspirin is NOT
necessary. An early study showed that it helped with very obese women. Later
studies showed it did little or nothing for the vast majority of people.

And aspirin may not be a stimulant. But when I have taken it for a headache
a few times with an EC stack, it DID heighten the stimulant effect of the EC
stack a little. At least for me. YMMV

dwacon
May 14th 04, 04:25 AM
"Partho Bhowmick" > wrote in message
m...
> is there a downside to using aspirin? I take 81mg tablets (what is used
for
> aspirin therapy)? they surely help with the muscle aches and the like, but
> wondered what the downside of such regular doses (albeit smaller than the
> usual strength used to relieve pain & fever) be?

Can aggrevate a bleeding ulcer if you have one.

--
The Naked Boy
http://www.cafeshops.com/powerpress

dwacon
May 14th 04, 04:25 AM
"Partho Bhowmick" > wrote in message
m...
> is there a downside to using aspirin? I take 81mg tablets (what is used
for
> aspirin therapy)? they surely help with the muscle aches and the like, but
> wondered what the downside of such regular doses (albeit smaller than the
> usual strength used to relieve pain & fever) be?

Can aggrevate a bleeding ulcer if you have one.

--
The Naked Boy
http://www.cafeshops.com/powerpress

Piscanthropus Profundus
May 14th 04, 11:32 AM
"Peter Webb" > wrote in message
u...
> While we are on this topic, I have always wondered why the A in an ECA
> stack? Unlike the othe two, its not a stimulant, so I can't see it
> increasing metabolism or decreasing hunger ...

Thins the blood.

> "David Cohen" > wrote in message
> link.net...
> >
> > "Partho Bhowmick" > wrote
> > > is there a downside to using aspirin? I take 81mg tablets (what is
> > used for
> > > aspirin therapy)? they surely help with the muscle aches and the
> > like, but I
> > > wondered what the downside of such regular doses (albeit smaller
> > than the
> > > usual strength used to relieve pain & fever) be?
> >
> > I have to assume you are using 81mg tablets because of a heart
> > condition, or as cardiac prophylaxis. In which case, why haven't you
> > discussed the benefits and risks of aspirin with your doctor? Of
> > course there's a downside! There's a downside to all drug treatments.
> > It's a matter of weighing the risks versus the benefits for your
> > particular circumstances. If you at high risk of a thrombus-mediated
> > vascular event...a myocardial infarction or a stroke...due to strong
> > family history or personal history or lifestyle factors, etc...then
> > the benefits may outweigh the risks...increased bleeding post-op or
> > post-trauma, increased risk of hemorrhagic stroke, etc.
> >
> > Too small a dose doesn't help with pain, but does cause risk, so, if
> > for some weird reason, you're using tiny doses for pain rather than to
> > decrease platelet aggregation, stop it! Use the proper dose. Go talk
> > to your doctor about the risk/benefit analysis for YOU.
> >
> > David

Piscanthropus Profundus
May 14th 04, 11:32 AM
"Peter Webb" > wrote in message
u...
> While we are on this topic, I have always wondered why the A in an ECA
> stack? Unlike the othe two, its not a stimulant, so I can't see it
> increasing metabolism or decreasing hunger ...

Thins the blood.

> "David Cohen" > wrote in message
> link.net...
> >
> > "Partho Bhowmick" > wrote
> > > is there a downside to using aspirin? I take 81mg tablets (what is
> > used for
> > > aspirin therapy)? they surely help with the muscle aches and the
> > like, but I
> > > wondered what the downside of such regular doses (albeit smaller
> > than the
> > > usual strength used to relieve pain & fever) be?
> >
> > I have to assume you are using 81mg tablets because of a heart
> > condition, or as cardiac prophylaxis. In which case, why haven't you
> > discussed the benefits and risks of aspirin with your doctor? Of
> > course there's a downside! There's a downside to all drug treatments.
> > It's a matter of weighing the risks versus the benefits for your
> > particular circumstances. If you at high risk of a thrombus-mediated
> > vascular event...a myocardial infarction or a stroke...due to strong
> > family history or personal history or lifestyle factors, etc...then
> > the benefits may outweigh the risks...increased bleeding post-op or
> > post-trauma, increased risk of hemorrhagic stroke, etc.
> >
> > Too small a dose doesn't help with pain, but does cause risk, so, if
> > for some weird reason, you're using tiny doses for pain rather than to
> > decrease platelet aggregation, stop it! Use the proper dose. Go talk
> > to your doctor about the risk/benefit analysis for YOU.
> >
> > David

Lyle McDonald
May 14th 04, 03:52 PM
Peter Webb wrote:

> While we are on this topic, I have always wondered why the A in an ECA
> stack? Unlike the othe two, its not a stimulant, so I can't see it
> increasing metabolism or decreasing hunger ...

One of the body's defense mechanisms against excessive fat loss involves
prostaglandin production. Aspirin is a general PG synthesis inhibitor.

Lyle

> "David Cohen" > wrote in message
> link.net...
>
>>"Partho Bhowmick" > wrote
>>
>>>is there a downside to using aspirin? I take 81mg tablets (what is
>>
>>used for
>>
>>>aspirin therapy)? they surely help with the muscle aches and the
>>
>>like, but I
>>
>>>wondered what the downside of such regular doses (albeit smaller
>>
>>than the
>>
>>>usual strength used to relieve pain & fever) be?
>>
>>I have to assume you are using 81mg tablets because of a heart
>>condition, or as cardiac prophylaxis. In which case, why haven't you
>>discussed the benefits and risks of aspirin with your doctor? Of
>>course there's a downside! There's a downside to all drug treatments.
>>It's a matter of weighing the risks versus the benefits for your
>>particular circumstances. If you at high risk of a thrombus-mediated
>>vascular event...a myocardial infarction or a stroke...due to strong
>>family history or personal history or lifestyle factors, etc...then
>>the benefits may outweigh the risks...increased bleeding post-op or
>>post-trauma, increased risk of hemorrhagic stroke, etc.
>>
>>Too small a dose doesn't help with pain, but does cause risk, so, if
>>for some weird reason, you're using tiny doses for pain rather than to
>>decrease platelet aggregation, stop it! Use the proper dose. Go talk
>>to your doctor about the risk/benefit analysis for YOU.
>>
>>David

Lyle McDonald
May 14th 04, 03:52 PM
Peter Webb wrote:

> While we are on this topic, I have always wondered why the A in an ECA
> stack? Unlike the othe two, its not a stimulant, so I can't see it
> increasing metabolism or decreasing hunger ...

One of the body's defense mechanisms against excessive fat loss involves
prostaglandin production. Aspirin is a general PG synthesis inhibitor.

Lyle

> "David Cohen" > wrote in message
> link.net...
>
>>"Partho Bhowmick" > wrote
>>
>>>is there a downside to using aspirin? I take 81mg tablets (what is
>>
>>used for
>>
>>>aspirin therapy)? they surely help with the muscle aches and the
>>
>>like, but I
>>
>>>wondered what the downside of such regular doses (albeit smaller
>>
>>than the
>>
>>>usual strength used to relieve pain & fever) be?
>>
>>I have to assume you are using 81mg tablets because of a heart
>>condition, or as cardiac prophylaxis. In which case, why haven't you
>>discussed the benefits and risks of aspirin with your doctor? Of
>>course there's a downside! There's a downside to all drug treatments.
>>It's a matter of weighing the risks versus the benefits for your
>>particular circumstances. If you at high risk of a thrombus-mediated
>>vascular event...a myocardial infarction or a stroke...due to strong
>>family history or personal history or lifestyle factors, etc...then
>>the benefits may outweigh the risks...increased bleeding post-op or
>>post-trauma, increased risk of hemorrhagic stroke, etc.
>>
>>Too small a dose doesn't help with pain, but does cause risk, so, if
>>for some weird reason, you're using tiny doses for pain rather than to
>>decrease platelet aggregation, stop it! Use the proper dose. Go talk
>>to your doctor about the risk/benefit analysis for YOU.
>>
>>David

jmt
May 14th 04, 04:00 PM
Partho Bhowmick wrote:

> is there a downside to using aspirin? I take 81mg tablets (what is used for
> aspirin therapy)? they surely help with the muscle aches and the like, but I
> wondered what the downside of such regular doses (albeit smaller than the
> usual strength used to relieve pain & fever) be?

Dear Partial;
I've been taking(at least)1 aspirin/day since the mid-70's.
Some apes have a sensitivity to it, some don't. If it doesn't bother
your TumTum; don't worry about it.
jmt

jmt
May 14th 04, 04:00 PM
Partho Bhowmick wrote:

> is there a downside to using aspirin? I take 81mg tablets (what is used for
> aspirin therapy)? they surely help with the muscle aches and the like, but I
> wondered what the downside of such regular doses (albeit smaller than the
> usual strength used to relieve pain & fever) be?

Dear Partial;
I've been taking(at least)1 aspirin/day since the mid-70's.
Some apes have a sensitivity to it, some don't. If it doesn't bother
your TumTum; don't worry about it.
jmt

David Cohen
May 14th 04, 04:41 PM
"Piscanthropus Profundus"
> wrote
> "Peter Webb" > wrote
> > While we are on this topic, I have always wondered why the A in an
ECA
> > stack? Unlike the othe two, its not a stimulant, so I can't see it
> > increasing metabolism or decreasing hunger ...
>
> Thins the blood.

No, it doesn't. It reduces platelet aggregation.

No, that isn't why it's in there, anyway.

No, I'm not interested in explaining further. Lyle or Elzi may.

David

> > "David Cohen" > wrote in message
> > link.net...
> > >
> > > "Partho Bhowmick" > wrote
> > > used for
> > > like, but I
> > > than the
> > >
> > > I have to assume you are using 81mg tablets because of a heart
> > > condition, or as cardiac prophylaxis. In which case, why haven't
you
> > > discussed the benefits and risks of aspirin with your doctor? Of
> > > course there's a downside! There's a downside to all drug
treatments.
> > > It's a matter of weighing the risks versus the benefits for your
> > > particular circumstances. If you at high risk of a
thrombus-mediated
> > > vascular event...a myocardial infarction or a stroke...due to
strong
> > > family history or personal history or lifestyle factors,
etc...then
> > > the benefits may outweigh the risks...increased bleeding post-op
or
> > > post-trauma, increased risk of hemorrhagic stroke, etc.
> > >
> > > Too small a dose doesn't help with pain, but does cause risk,
so, if
> > > for some weird reason, you're using tiny doses for pain rather
than to
> > > decrease platelet aggregation, stop it! Use the proper dose. Go
talk
> > > to your doctor about the risk/benefit analysis for YOU.
> > >
> > > David

David Cohen
May 14th 04, 04:41 PM
"Piscanthropus Profundus"
> wrote
> "Peter Webb" > wrote
> > While we are on this topic, I have always wondered why the A in an
ECA
> > stack? Unlike the othe two, its not a stimulant, so I can't see it
> > increasing metabolism or decreasing hunger ...
>
> Thins the blood.

No, it doesn't. It reduces platelet aggregation.

No, that isn't why it's in there, anyway.

No, I'm not interested in explaining further. Lyle or Elzi may.

David

> > "David Cohen" > wrote in message
> > link.net...
> > >
> > > "Partho Bhowmick" > wrote
> > > used for
> > > like, but I
> > > than the
> > >
> > > I have to assume you are using 81mg tablets because of a heart
> > > condition, or as cardiac prophylaxis. In which case, why haven't
you
> > > discussed the benefits and risks of aspirin with your doctor? Of
> > > course there's a downside! There's a downside to all drug
treatments.
> > > It's a matter of weighing the risks versus the benefits for your
> > > particular circumstances. If you at high risk of a
thrombus-mediated
> > > vascular event...a myocardial infarction or a stroke...due to
strong
> > > family history or personal history or lifestyle factors,
etc...then
> > > the benefits may outweigh the risks...increased bleeding post-op
or
> > > post-trauma, increased risk of hemorrhagic stroke, etc.
> > >
> > > Too small a dose doesn't help with pain, but does cause risk,
so, if
> > > for some weird reason, you're using tiny doses for pain rather
than to
> > > decrease platelet aggregation, stop it! Use the proper dose. Go
talk
> > > to your doctor about the risk/benefit analysis for YOU.
> > >
> > > David

MJL
May 15th 04, 01:11 AM
On Fri, 14 May 2004 00:12:40 GMT, "David Cohen"
> wrote:

>"Partho Bhowmick" > wrote
>> is there a downside to using aspirin? I take 81mg tablets (what is
>used for
>> aspirin therapy)? they surely help with the muscle aches and the
>like, but I
>> wondered what the downside of such regular doses (albeit smaller
>than the
>> usual strength used to relieve pain & fever) be?
>
>I have to assume you are using 81mg tablets because of a heart
>condition, or as cardiac prophylaxis. In which case, why haven't you
>discussed the benefits and risks of aspirin with your doctor? Of
>course there's a downside! There's a downside to all drug treatments.
>It's a matter of weighing the risks versus the benefits for your
>particular circumstances. If you at high risk of a thrombus-mediated
>vascular event...a myocardial infarction or a stroke...due to strong
>family history or personal history or lifestyle factors, etc...then
>the benefits may outweigh the risks...increased bleeding post-op or
>post-trauma, increased risk of hemorrhagic stroke, etc.
>
>Too small a dose doesn't help with pain, but does cause risk, so, if
>for some weird reason, you're using tiny doses for pain rather than to
>decrease platelet aggregation, stop it! Use the proper dose. Go talk
>to your doctor about the risk/benefit analysis for YOU.
>
>David

I'm surprised at how little ability there really is to diagnose
arteriosclerosis without a very invasive procedure. I'm on 81 mg of
aspirin a day in the absence of any other symptoms other than family
history. But the fact is that unless they snake a camera up into my
heart and look around there is not way to really be completely sure if
blockages are developing.

I can't think of a reason low dose aspirin therapy would block
strength or hypertrophy gains.

--
"Hey, I ain't no Mike Massey."

MJL
May 15th 04, 01:11 AM
On Fri, 14 May 2004 00:12:40 GMT, "David Cohen"
> wrote:

>"Partho Bhowmick" > wrote
>> is there a downside to using aspirin? I take 81mg tablets (what is
>used for
>> aspirin therapy)? they surely help with the muscle aches and the
>like, but I
>> wondered what the downside of such regular doses (albeit smaller
>than the
>> usual strength used to relieve pain & fever) be?
>
>I have to assume you are using 81mg tablets because of a heart
>condition, or as cardiac prophylaxis. In which case, why haven't you
>discussed the benefits and risks of aspirin with your doctor? Of
>course there's a downside! There's a downside to all drug treatments.
>It's a matter of weighing the risks versus the benefits for your
>particular circumstances. If you at high risk of a thrombus-mediated
>vascular event...a myocardial infarction or a stroke...due to strong
>family history or personal history or lifestyle factors, etc...then
>the benefits may outweigh the risks...increased bleeding post-op or
>post-trauma, increased risk of hemorrhagic stroke, etc.
>
>Too small a dose doesn't help with pain, but does cause risk, so, if
>for some weird reason, you're using tiny doses for pain rather than to
>decrease platelet aggregation, stop it! Use the proper dose. Go talk
>to your doctor about the risk/benefit analysis for YOU.
>
>David

I'm surprised at how little ability there really is to diagnose
arteriosclerosis without a very invasive procedure. I'm on 81 mg of
aspirin a day in the absence of any other symptoms other than family
history. But the fact is that unless they snake a camera up into my
heart and look around there is not way to really be completely sure if
blockages are developing.

I can't think of a reason low dose aspirin therapy would block
strength or hypertrophy gains.

--
"Hey, I ain't no Mike Massey."

David Cohen
May 15th 04, 01:34 AM
"MJL" > wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote:
> >"Partho Bhowmick" > wrote
> >> is there a downside to using aspirin? I take 81mg tablets (what
is
> >used for
> >> aspirin therapy)? they surely help with the muscle aches and the
> >like, but I
> >> wondered what the downside of such regular doses (albeit smaller
> >than the
> >> usual strength used to relieve pain & fever) be?
> >
> >I have to assume you are using 81mg tablets because of a heart
> >condition, or as cardiac prophylaxis. In which case, why haven't
you
> >discussed the benefits and risks of aspirin with your doctor? Of
> >course there's a downside! There's a downside to all drug
treatments.
> >It's a matter of weighing the risks versus the benefits for your
> >particular circumstances. If you at high risk of a
thrombus-mediated
> >vascular event...a myocardial infarction or a stroke...due to
strong
> >family history or personal history or lifestyle factors, etc...then
> >the benefits may outweigh the risks...increased bleeding post-op or
> >post-trauma, increased risk of hemorrhagic stroke, etc.
> >
> >Too small a dose doesn't help with pain, but does cause risk, so,
if
> >for some weird reason, you're using tiny doses for pain rather than
> >decrease platelet aggregation, stop it! Use the proper dose. Go
talk
> >to your doctor about the risk/benefit analysis for YOU.
>
> I'm surprised at how little ability there really is to diagnose
> arteriosclerosis without a very invasive procedure. I'm on 81 mg of
> aspirin a day in the absence of any other symptoms other than family
> history. But the fact is that unless they snake a camera up into my
> heart and look around there is not way to really be completely sure
if
> blockages are developing.

That's starting to change. There is an imaging procedure...I can't
recall at the moment if it's a fast CT or an MRI type of scan...that
supposedly detects the calcification in arterial plaques. The last I
heard, it was still somewhat controversial as to how accurate it was.
But if not yet accurate enough, it will be in the not-too-distant
future.

You think they could improve the accuracy of CT colonoscopy before
this November? I sure hope they do :(

> I can't think of a reason low dose aspirin therapy would block
> strength or hypertrophy gains.

No. Bruising might be a bitch, though.

"I'm not drinking milk anymore. I discovered that the calcium in milk
and cottage cheese is not absorbable by the human body because of
pasteurization."---Ron in Houston TX

David Cohen
May 15th 04, 01:34 AM
"MJL" > wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote:
> >"Partho Bhowmick" > wrote
> >> is there a downside to using aspirin? I take 81mg tablets (what
is
> >used for
> >> aspirin therapy)? they surely help with the muscle aches and the
> >like, but I
> >> wondered what the downside of such regular doses (albeit smaller
> >than the
> >> usual strength used to relieve pain & fever) be?
> >
> >I have to assume you are using 81mg tablets because of a heart
> >condition, or as cardiac prophylaxis. In which case, why haven't
you
> >discussed the benefits and risks of aspirin with your doctor? Of
> >course there's a downside! There's a downside to all drug
treatments.
> >It's a matter of weighing the risks versus the benefits for your
> >particular circumstances. If you at high risk of a
thrombus-mediated
> >vascular event...a myocardial infarction or a stroke...due to
strong
> >family history or personal history or lifestyle factors, etc...then
> >the benefits may outweigh the risks...increased bleeding post-op or
> >post-trauma, increased risk of hemorrhagic stroke, etc.
> >
> >Too small a dose doesn't help with pain, but does cause risk, so,
if
> >for some weird reason, you're using tiny doses for pain rather than
> >decrease platelet aggregation, stop it! Use the proper dose. Go
talk
> >to your doctor about the risk/benefit analysis for YOU.
>
> I'm surprised at how little ability there really is to diagnose
> arteriosclerosis without a very invasive procedure. I'm on 81 mg of
> aspirin a day in the absence of any other symptoms other than family
> history. But the fact is that unless they snake a camera up into my
> heart and look around there is not way to really be completely sure
if
> blockages are developing.

That's starting to change. There is an imaging procedure...I can't
recall at the moment if it's a fast CT or an MRI type of scan...that
supposedly detects the calcification in arterial plaques. The last I
heard, it was still somewhat controversial as to how accurate it was.
But if not yet accurate enough, it will be in the not-too-distant
future.

You think they could improve the accuracy of CT colonoscopy before
this November? I sure hope they do :(

> I can't think of a reason low dose aspirin therapy would block
> strength or hypertrophy gains.

No. Bruising might be a bitch, though.

"I'm not drinking milk anymore. I discovered that the calcium in milk
and cottage cheese is not absorbable by the human body because of
pasteurization."---Ron in Houston TX

MJL
May 15th 04, 01:41 AM
On Fri, 14 May 2004 10:57:14 +1000, "Peter Webb"
> wrote:

>While we are on this topic, I have always wondered why the A in an ECA
>stack? Unlike the othe two, its not a stimulant, so I can't see it
>increasing metabolism or decreasing hunger ...

Aspirin, along with other NSAIDS, act to inhibit cyclooxygenase.
Aspirin has an acetyl group attached to a carbon ring. This group
will bind with cyclooxygenase after being deacetylated by esterases to
form acetylated cyclooxygenase. This blocks off one whole side of the
arachidonic acid pathway.

I have to run...this lowers COX-1 good for weight loss.

Probably, I'm not sure if there are studies actually showing this
effect in healthy humans.

--
"Hey, I ain't no Mike Massey."

MJL
May 15th 04, 01:41 AM
On Fri, 14 May 2004 10:57:14 +1000, "Peter Webb"
> wrote:

>While we are on this topic, I have always wondered why the A in an ECA
>stack? Unlike the othe two, its not a stimulant, so I can't see it
>increasing metabolism or decreasing hunger ...

Aspirin, along with other NSAIDS, act to inhibit cyclooxygenase.
Aspirin has an acetyl group attached to a carbon ring. This group
will bind with cyclooxygenase after being deacetylated by esterases to
form acetylated cyclooxygenase. This blocks off one whole side of the
arachidonic acid pathway.

I have to run...this lowers COX-1 good for weight loss.

Probably, I'm not sure if there are studies actually showing this
effect in healthy humans.

--
"Hey, I ain't no Mike Massey."

Ed C
May 15th 04, 01:59 AM
Aspirin acts like a blood thinner and as such can make injuries bleed
longer. I've been on aspirin therapy for more than 5 years, adult dose, and
can say first hand that after the last nicked shin it took well over 2 hours
for the bleeding to stop. Dr. just cut me back to one baby aspirin per day.
Check with your Doc and let him prescribe a proper dose.

Ed C

"jmt" > wrote in message

> Partho Bhowmick wrote:
>
> > is there a downside to using aspirin? I take 81mg tablets (what is used
for
> > aspirin therapy)? they surely help with the muscle aches and the like,
but I
> > wondered what the downside of such regular doses (albeit smaller than
the
> > usual strength used to relieve pain & fever) be?
>

> Dear Partial;
> I've been taking(at least)1 aspirin/day since the mid-70's.
> Some apes have a sensitivity to it, some don't. If it doesn't bother
> your TumTum; don't worry about it.
> jmt

Glenn Banwell
May 15th 04, 06:10 PM
"dwacon" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Partho Bhowmick" > wrote in message
> m...
> > is there a downside to using aspirin? I take 81mg tablets (what is used
> for
> > aspirin therapy)? they surely help with the muscle aches and the like,
but
> > wondered what the downside of such regular doses (albeit smaller than
the
> > usual strength used to relieve pain & fever) be?
>

> Can aggrevate a bleeding ulcer if you have one.

I've taken a 300mg aspirin every day for the last five years with no side
effects (it's an integral part, obviously, of my ECA stack)

The ulcer comment is medically valid and should definitely be borne in mind.

Glenn Banwell
May 15th 04, 06:10 PM
"dwacon" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Partho Bhowmick" > wrote in message
> m...
> > is there a downside to using aspirin? I take 81mg tablets (what is used
> for
> > aspirin therapy)? they surely help with the muscle aches and the like,
but
> > wondered what the downside of such regular doses (albeit smaller than
the
> > usual strength used to relieve pain & fever) be?
>

> Can aggrevate a bleeding ulcer if you have one.

I've taken a 300mg aspirin every day for the last five years with no side
effects (it's an integral part, obviously, of my ECA stack)

The ulcer comment is medically valid and should definitely be borne in mind.

Piscanthropus Profundus
May 16th 04, 11:49 AM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
k.net...

> "Piscanthropus Profundus"
> > wrote
> > "Peter Webb" > wrote
> > > While we are on this topic, I have always wondered why the A in an
> ECA
> > > stack? Unlike the othe two, its not a stimulant, so I can't see it
> > > increasing metabolism or decreasing hunger ...
> >
> > Thins the blood.
>
> No, it doesn't. It reduces platelet aggregation.

Makes the blood less 'sticky', yes? Reduces viscosity, yes?

> No, that isn't why it's in there, anyway.

Didn't know that.

> No, I'm not interested in explaining further. Lyle or Elzi may.

You assume I wanted you to?

> > > "David Cohen" > wrote in message
> > > link.net...

> (what is
> the
> smaller

> you
> treatments.
> thrombus-mediated
> strong
> etc...then
> or

> so, if
> than to
> talk

Piscanthropus Profundus
May 16th 04, 11:49 AM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message
k.net...

> "Piscanthropus Profundus"
> > wrote
> > "Peter Webb" > wrote
> > > While we are on this topic, I have always wondered why the A in an
> ECA
> > > stack? Unlike the othe two, its not a stimulant, so I can't see it
> > > increasing metabolism or decreasing hunger ...
> >
> > Thins the blood.
>
> No, it doesn't. It reduces platelet aggregation.

Makes the blood less 'sticky', yes? Reduces viscosity, yes?

> No, that isn't why it's in there, anyway.

Didn't know that.

> No, I'm not interested in explaining further. Lyle or Elzi may.

You assume I wanted you to?

> > > "David Cohen" > wrote in message
> > > link.net...

> (what is
> the
> smaller

> you
> treatments.
> thrombus-mediated
> strong
> etc...then
> or

> so, if
> than to
> talk

elzinator
May 16th 04, 04:01 PM
On Sun, 16 May 2004 06:49:10 -0400, Piscanthropus Profundus wrote:

>"David Cohen" > wrote in message
k.net...

>> "Piscanthropus Profundus"
>> > wrote
>> > "Peter Webb" > wrote
>> ECA
>> >
>> > Thins the blood.
>>
>> No, it doesn't. It reduces platelet aggregation.
>
>Makes the blood less 'sticky', yes? Reduces viscosity, yes?
>
>> No, that isn't why it's in there, anyway.
>
>Didn't know that.
>
>> No, I'm not interested in explaining further. Lyle or Elzi may.

Me neither. It's been addressed here ad nauseum. Do a google search.

(still wondering why my newsreader filters out David's posts...)

--------------------------------------
In the end, what we regret the most is not taking chances.
"It is far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs,
even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor
spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in
the grey twilight that knows not victory, nor defeat."
- Theodore Roosevelt

elzinator
May 16th 04, 04:01 PM
On Sun, 16 May 2004 06:49:10 -0400, Piscanthropus Profundus wrote:

>"David Cohen" > wrote in message
k.net...

>> "Piscanthropus Profundus"
>> > wrote
>> > "Peter Webb" > wrote
>> ECA
>> >
>> > Thins the blood.
>>
>> No, it doesn't. It reduces platelet aggregation.
>
>Makes the blood less 'sticky', yes? Reduces viscosity, yes?
>
>> No, that isn't why it's in there, anyway.
>
>Didn't know that.
>
>> No, I'm not interested in explaining further. Lyle or Elzi may.

Me neither. It's been addressed here ad nauseum. Do a google search.

(still wondering why my newsreader filters out David's posts...)

--------------------------------------
In the end, what we regret the most is not taking chances.
"It is far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs,
even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor
spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in
the grey twilight that knows not victory, nor defeat."
- Theodore Roosevelt

Proton Soup
May 16th 04, 06:19 PM
On Sun, 16 May 2004 17:21:10 GMT, the dirty jew "David Cohen"
> wrote:

>"elzinator" > wrote
>
>> (still wondering why my newsreader filters out David's posts...)
>
>JEW HATER!!
>
>Somebody tell Elzi I said that, would ya'.
>
>David

Proton Soup
May 16th 04, 06:19 PM
On Sun, 16 May 2004 17:21:10 GMT, the dirty jew "David Cohen"
> wrote:

>"elzinator" > wrote
>
>> (still wondering why my newsreader filters out David's posts...)
>
>JEW HATER!!
>
>Somebody tell Elzi I said that, would ya'.
>
>David

David Cohen
May 16th 04, 06:19 PM
"Piscanthropus Profundus"
> wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote
> > "Piscanthropus Profundus"
> > > wrote
> > > "Peter Webb" > wrote
> > ECA
> > >
> > > Thins the blood.
> >
> > No, it doesn't. It reduces platelet aggregation.
>
> Makes the blood less 'sticky', yes? Reduces viscosity, yes?

No. Not in the true, hydraulic, sense of viscosity. Keeps platelets
from clumping, which reduces clotting.

> > No, that isn't why it's in there, anyway.
>
> Didn't know that.
>
> > No, I'm not interested in explaining further. Lyle or Elzi may.
>
> You assume I wanted you to?

I made an "ass" out of "u" and "me" by doing so. Sorry.

David

> > (what is
> > the
> > smaller

> > you
> > treatments.
> > thrombus-mediated
> > strong
> > etc...then
> > or

> > so, if
> > than to
Go
> > talk

David Cohen
May 16th 04, 06:19 PM
"Piscanthropus Profundus"
> wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote
> > "Piscanthropus Profundus"
> > > wrote
> > > "Peter Webb" > wrote
> > ECA
> > >
> > > Thins the blood.
> >
> > No, it doesn't. It reduces platelet aggregation.
>
> Makes the blood less 'sticky', yes? Reduces viscosity, yes?

No. Not in the true, hydraulic, sense of viscosity. Keeps platelets
from clumping, which reduces clotting.

> > No, that isn't why it's in there, anyway.
>
> Didn't know that.
>
> > No, I'm not interested in explaining further. Lyle or Elzi may.
>
> You assume I wanted you to?

I made an "ass" out of "u" and "me" by doing so. Sorry.

David

> > (what is
> > the
> > smaller

> > you
> > treatments.
> > thrombus-mediated
> > strong
> > etc...then
> > or

> > so, if
> > than to
Go
> > talk

David Cohen
May 16th 04, 06:21 PM
"elzinator" > wrote

> (still wondering why my newsreader filters out David's posts...)

JEW HATER!!

Somebody tell Elzi I said that, would ya'.

David

David Cohen
May 16th 04, 06:21 PM
"elzinator" > wrote

> (still wondering why my newsreader filters out David's posts...)

JEW HATER!!

Somebody tell Elzi I said that, would ya'.

David

Lee Michaels
May 16th 04, 07:16 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote

> "elzinator" > wrote
>
> > (still wondering why my newsreader filters out David's posts...)
>
> JEW HATER!!
>
> Somebody tell Elzi I said that, would ya'.
>
> David

Now, now David. Elzi isn't a jew hater.

It is just that her newsreader is.

Get it straight.

Lee Michaels
May 16th 04, 07:16 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote

> "elzinator" > wrote
>
> > (still wondering why my newsreader filters out David's posts...)
>
> JEW HATER!!
>
> Somebody tell Elzi I said that, would ya'.
>
> David

Now, now David. Elzi isn't a jew hater.

It is just that her newsreader is.

Get it straight.

David Cohen
May 16th 04, 07:40 PM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote
> > "elzinator" > wrote
> >
> > > (still wondering why my newsreader filters out David's posts...)
> >
> > JEW HATER!!
> >
> > Somebody tell Elzi I said that, would ya'.

> Now, now David. Elzi isn't a jew hater.
>
> It is just that her newsreader is.

I was talking to her newsreader.

Reminds me of a joke. Well-dressed woman walks into a bar, carrying a
duck under her arm. Drunk at the bar slurs, "That's the UGLIEST pig
I've ever seen!" The woman responds indignantly, "Sir, I'll have you
know this is a duck." The drunk says, "I was talking...to the duck!"

David

David Cohen
May 16th 04, 07:40 PM
"Lee Michaels" > wrote
> "David Cohen" > wrote
> > "elzinator" > wrote
> >
> > > (still wondering why my newsreader filters out David's posts...)
> >
> > JEW HATER!!
> >
> > Somebody tell Elzi I said that, would ya'.

> Now, now David. Elzi isn't a jew hater.
>
> It is just that her newsreader is.

I was talking to her newsreader.

Reminds me of a joke. Well-dressed woman walks into a bar, carrying a
duck under her arm. Drunk at the bar slurs, "That's the UGLIEST pig
I've ever seen!" The woman responds indignantly, "Sir, I'll have you
know this is a duck." The drunk says, "I was talking...to the duck!"

David

Meaty
May 17th 04, 08:18 PM
> > Can aggrevate a bleeding ulcer if you have one.
> >

> I've taken a 300mg aspirin every day for the last five years with no side
> effects (it's an integral part, obviously, of my ECA stack)
>
> The ulcer comment is medically valid and should definitely be borne in
mind.

Any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory increases the suseptability of the
gastric mucosa to erosion from gastric acid. So you are at increased risk of
gastritis, gastric ulceration, erosion into a vessel (bleeding ulcer) or
even perforation. That said, in a healthy individual there shouldn't be a
problem with aspirin 300mg a day.

--
Meaty

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

Meaty
May 17th 04, 08:18 PM
> > Can aggrevate a bleeding ulcer if you have one.
> >

> I've taken a 300mg aspirin every day for the last five years with no side
> effects (it's an integral part, obviously, of my ECA stack)
>
> The ulcer comment is medically valid and should definitely be borne in
mind.

Any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory increases the suseptability of the
gastric mucosa to erosion from gastric acid. So you are at increased risk of
gastritis, gastric ulceration, erosion into a vessel (bleeding ulcer) or
even perforation. That said, in a healthy individual there shouldn't be a
problem with aspirin 300mg a day.

--
Meaty

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

John M. Williams
May 17th 04, 11:46 PM
"Meaty" > wrote:

>> > Can aggrevate a bleeding ulcer if you have one.
>>
>> I've taken a 300mg aspirin every day for the last five years with no side
>> effects (it's an integral part, obviously, of my ECA stack)
>>
>> The ulcer comment is medically valid and should definitely be borne in
>> mind.
>
>Any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory increases the suseptability of the
>gastric mucosa to erosion from gastric acid. So you are at increased risk of
>gastritis, gastric ulceration, erosion into a vessel (bleeding ulcer) or
>even perforation. That said, in a healthy individual there shouldn't be a
>problem with aspirin 300mg a day.

Yes, "any NSAID" can increase the susceptibility, but it is definitely
a matter of degree. The greater extent to which the NSAID is a
COX-2-specific inhibitor, the lesser prospect of gastric irritation
due to inhibition of prostacyclin synthesis. Aspirin is more skewed
toward COX-1 inhibition than nearly all the other NSAIDs, so it leads
to much more significant gastric irritation.

So, yes, there *is* a difference.

John M. Williams
May 17th 04, 11:46 PM
"Meaty" > wrote:

>> > Can aggrevate a bleeding ulcer if you have one.
>>
>> I've taken a 300mg aspirin every day for the last five years with no side
>> effects (it's an integral part, obviously, of my ECA stack)
>>
>> The ulcer comment is medically valid and should definitely be borne in
>> mind.
>
>Any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory increases the suseptability of the
>gastric mucosa to erosion from gastric acid. So you are at increased risk of
>gastritis, gastric ulceration, erosion into a vessel (bleeding ulcer) or
>even perforation. That said, in a healthy individual there shouldn't be a
>problem with aspirin 300mg a day.

Yes, "any NSAID" can increase the susceptibility, but it is definitely
a matter of degree. The greater extent to which the NSAID is a
COX-2-specific inhibitor, the lesser prospect of gastric irritation
due to inhibition of prostacyclin synthesis. Aspirin is more skewed
toward COX-1 inhibition than nearly all the other NSAIDs, so it leads
to much more significant gastric irritation.

So, yes, there *is* a difference.

Elzinator
May 18th 04, 01:51 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message t>...
> "elzinator" > wrote
>
> > (still wondering why my newsreader filters out David's posts...)
>
> JEW HATER!!
>
> Somebody tell Elzi I said that, would ya'.

Dude, I google ya :)

When I can access my PC again (waiting for new monitor), I'll check my
killfile filters. I doubt I set it for a universal "David" like I did
for "John", but I will double check.

Elzinator
May 18th 04, 01:51 PM
"David Cohen" > wrote in message t>...
> "elzinator" > wrote
>
> > (still wondering why my newsreader filters out David's posts...)
>
> JEW HATER!!
>
> Somebody tell Elzi I said that, would ya'.

Dude, I google ya :)

When I can access my PC again (waiting for new monitor), I'll check my
killfile filters. I doubt I set it for a universal "David" like I did
for "John", but I will double check.

Meaty
May 18th 04, 06:54 PM
> Yes, "any NSAID" can increase the susceptibility, but it is definitely
> a matter of degree. The greater extent to which the NSAID is a
> COX-2-specific inhibitor, the lesser prospect of gastric irritation
> due to inhibition of prostacyclin synthesis. Aspirin is more skewed
> toward COX-1 inhibition than nearly all the other NSAIDs, so it leads
> to much more significant gastric irritation.
>
> So, yes, there *is* a difference.

Doesn't it make your kidney papillae fall off as well?

--
Meaty

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

Meaty
May 18th 04, 06:54 PM
> Yes, "any NSAID" can increase the susceptibility, but it is definitely
> a matter of degree. The greater extent to which the NSAID is a
> COX-2-specific inhibitor, the lesser prospect of gastric irritation
> due to inhibition of prostacyclin synthesis. Aspirin is more skewed
> toward COX-1 inhibition than nearly all the other NSAIDs, so it leads
> to much more significant gastric irritation.
>
> So, yes, there *is* a difference.

Doesn't it make your kidney papillae fall off as well?

--
Meaty

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

John M. Williams
May 18th 04, 07:53 PM
"Meaty" > wrote:

>> Yes, "any NSAID" can increase the susceptibility, but it is definitely
>> a matter of degree. The greater extent to which the NSAID is a
>> COX-2-specific inhibitor, the lesser prospect of gastric irritation
>> due to inhibition of prostacyclin synthesis. Aspirin is more skewed
>> toward COX-1 inhibition than nearly all the other NSAIDs, so it leads
>> to much more significant gastric irritation.
>>
>> So, yes, there *is* a difference.
>
>Doesn't it make your kidney papillae fall off as well?

PGE2 synthesis is not as COX-1 specific as prostcyclin synthesis. So
there are issues related to renal function with both COX-1 and COX-2
inhibition.

NSAIDs all have their issues. Acetaminophen (paracetamol) is very
hepatotoxic in high doses. The point is that aspirin is likely to be
one of the first to show negative effects from repeated use in the
therapeutic dosage range.

John M. Williams
May 18th 04, 07:53 PM
"Meaty" > wrote:

>> Yes, "any NSAID" can increase the susceptibility, but it is definitely
>> a matter of degree. The greater extent to which the NSAID is a
>> COX-2-specific inhibitor, the lesser prospect of gastric irritation
>> due to inhibition of prostacyclin synthesis. Aspirin is more skewed
>> toward COX-1 inhibition than nearly all the other NSAIDs, so it leads
>> to much more significant gastric irritation.
>>
>> So, yes, there *is* a difference.
>
>Doesn't it make your kidney papillae fall off as well?

PGE2 synthesis is not as COX-1 specific as prostcyclin synthesis. So
there are issues related to renal function with both COX-1 and COX-2
inhibition.

NSAIDs all have their issues. Acetaminophen (paracetamol) is very
hepatotoxic in high doses. The point is that aspirin is likely to be
one of the first to show negative effects from repeated use in the
therapeutic dosage range.

Lucas Buck
May 21st 04, 06:30 AM
On Fri, 14 May 2004 10:57:14 +1000, "Peter Webb" > wrote:

>While we are on this topic, I have always wondered why the A in an ECA
>stack?

Because otherwise it would be an EC stack, top-poster.