PDA

View Full Version : Uni-dimensional bicep growth - ideas?

A-Rog
June 3rd 04, 02:30 AM
I have been lifting regularly (3 to 4 times/week) for about 6 months now.
I've seen growth in my biceps, but the growth seems to be in one dimension
only. My arms don't seem to be getting wider, although I do see definition
in biceps and triceps, and an improvement in size when I flex my arm. Is it
reasonable to expect the arms to widen as well? (Probably not very accurate
phraseology, but I don't know how else to describe it.)

I have been doing dumbbell curls, preacher curls, and barbell curls for
biceps.

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Helgi Briem
June 3rd 04, 05:05 AM
On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 21:30:23 -0400, "A-Rog" >
wrote:

>I have been lifting regularly (3 to 4 times/week) for about 6 months now.
>I've seen growth in my biceps, but the growth seems to be in one dimension
>only. My arms don't seem to be getting wider, although I do see definition
>in biceps and triceps, and an improvement in size when I flex my arm. Is it
>reasonable to expect the arms to widen as well? (Probably not very accurate
>phraseology, but I don't know how else to describe it.)
>
>I have been doing dumbbell curls, preacher curls, and barbell curls for
>biceps.

All 3? Why? Why not just chin-ups and train your back
at the same time? More bang for the buck.

>Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

What are you eating? That's the main thing. To gain
size you need to eat a lot.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

Never worry about anything that you see on the news.
To get on the news it must be sufficiently rare
that your chances of being involved are negligible!

wrote:

>I have been lifting regularly (3 to 4 times/week) for about 6 months now.
>I've seen growth in my biceps, but the growth seems to be in one dimension
>only. My arms don't seem to be getting wider, although I do see definition
>in biceps and triceps, and an improvement in size when I flex my arm. Is it
>reasonable to expect the arms to widen as well? (Probably not very accurate
>phraseology, but I don't know how else to describe it.)
>
>I have been doing dumbbell curls, preacher curls, and barbell curls for
>biceps.

All 3? Why? Why not just chin-ups and train your back
at the same time? More bang for the buck.

>Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

What are you eating? That's the main thing. To gain
size you need to eat a lot.

--
Helgi Briem hbriem AT simnet DOT is

Never worry about anything that you see on the news.
To get on the news it must be sufficiently rare
that your chances of being involved are negligible!

Keith Hobman
June 3rd 04, 03:00 PM
In article >, Helgi Briem
> wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 21:30:23 -0400, "A-Rog" >
> wrote:
>
> >I have been lifting regularly (3 to 4 times/week) for about 6 months now.
> >I've seen growth in my biceps, but the growth seems to be in one dimension
> >only. My arms don't seem to be getting wider, although I do see definition
> >in biceps and triceps, and an improvement in size when I flex my arm. Is it
> >reasonable to expect the arms to widen as well? (Probably not very accurate
> >phraseology, but I don't know how else to describe it.)
> >
> >I have been doing dumbbell curls, preacher curls, and barbell curls for
> >biceps.
>
> All 3? Why? Why not just chin-ups and train your back
> at the same time? More bang for the buck.
>
> >Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> What are you eating? That's the main thing. To gain
> size you need to eat a lot.

He better get a physiology text and look at the biceps muscle. It doesn't
surround the bone - it sits on the bone.

--
Dawn's cold kiss calls me
Forth I creep, blindly stumbling

Keith Hobman
June 3rd 04, 03:00 PM
In article >, Helgi Briem
> wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 21:30:23 -0400, "A-Rog" >
> wrote:
>
> >I have been lifting regularly (3 to 4 times/week) for about 6 months now.
> >I've seen growth in my biceps, but the growth seems to be in one dimension
> >only. My arms don't seem to be getting wider, although I do see definition
> >in biceps and triceps, and an improvement in size when I flex my arm. Is it
> >reasonable to expect the arms to widen as well? (Probably not very accurate
> >phraseology, but I don't know how else to describe it.)
> >
> >I have been doing dumbbell curls, preacher curls, and barbell curls for
> >biceps.
>
> All 3? Why? Why not just chin-ups and train your back
> at the same time? More bang for the buck.
>
> >Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> What are you eating? That's the main thing. To gain
> size you need to eat a lot.

He better get a physiology text and look at the biceps muscle. It doesn't
surround the bone - it sits on the bone.

--
Dawn's cold kiss calls me
Forth I creep, blindly stumbling
Joy: Morning workouts.
Hugh Beyer's 'Haiku On Returning To Weights'

Harv
June 3rd 04, 08:26 PM
"A-Rog" > wrote in message >...
> I have been lifting regularly (3 to 4 times/week) for about 6 months now.
> I've seen growth in my biceps, but the growth seems to be in one dimension
> only. My arms don't seem to be getting wider, although I do see definition
> in biceps and triceps, and an improvement in size when I flex my arm. Is it
> reasonable to expect the arms to widen as well? (Probably not very accurate
> phraseology, but I don't know how else to describe it.)
>
> I have been doing dumbbell curls, preacher curls, and barbell curls for
> biceps.
>
> Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi A-Rog!

I think I know what you're looking for and, while I'm not nearly as
qualified as many on this forum to anwswer your question, I'll throw
my 2 cents in.

I guess I would consider attacking the muscle from different angles
for a while and see if you get results. Maybe change your dumbell curl
to a dumbell hammer curl for example. Or, use a different bar for
your preachers- again maybe something to change the angle of attack.

HTH

Harv

Harv
June 3rd 04, 08:26 PM
"A-Rog" > wrote in message >...
> I have been lifting regularly (3 to 4 times/week) for about 6 months now.
> I've seen growth in my biceps, but the growth seems to be in one dimension
> only. My arms don't seem to be getting wider, although I do see definition
> in biceps and triceps, and an improvement in size when I flex my arm. Is it
> reasonable to expect the arms to widen as well? (Probably not very accurate
> phraseology, but I don't know how else to describe it.)
>
> I have been doing dumbbell curls, preacher curls, and barbell curls for
> biceps.
>
> Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi A-Rog!

I think I know what you're looking for and, while I'm not nearly as
qualified as many on this forum to anwswer your question, I'll throw
my 2 cents in.

I guess I would consider attacking the muscle from different angles
for a while and see if you get results. Maybe change your dumbell curl
to a dumbell hammer curl for example. Or, use a different bar for
your preachers- again maybe something to change the angle of attack.

HTH

Harv

Bob Falooley
June 3rd 04, 09:18 PM
Harv wrote:

> "A-Rog" > wrote in message
>> I have been lifting regularly (3 to 4 times/week) for about 6 months now.
>> I've seen growth in my biceps, but the growth seems to be in one
>> dimension
>> only. My arms don't seem to be getting wider, although I do see
>> definition
>> in biceps and triceps, and an improvement in size when I flex my arm. Is
>> it
>> reasonable to expect the arms to widen as well? (Probably not very
>> accurate phraseology, but I don't know how else to describe it.)
>>
>> I have been doing dumbbell curls, preacher curls, and barbell curls for
>> biceps.
>>
>> Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Hi A-Rog!
>
> I think I know what you're looking for and, while I'm not nearly as
> qualified as many on this forum to anwswer your question, I'll throw
> my 2 cents in.
>
> I guess I would consider attacking the muscle from different angles
> for a while and see if you get results. Maybe change your dumbell curl
> to a dumbell hammer curl for example. Or, use a different bar for
> your preachers- again maybe something to change the angle of attack.
>
> HTH
>
> Harv

I read somewhere once that drag curls give you more definition between the
bicep and tricep. This is probably BS, cause eating less will give you the
definition.

--Falooley

Bob Falooley
June 3rd 04, 09:18 PM