PDA

View Full Version : Re: Advanced calisthenics

Bob Falooley
June 3rd 04, 08:18 PM
Ignoramus23878 wrote:

> For a variety of reasons, I prefer to do calisthenics rather than gym
> type exercises. They simply fit my personality better. My main
> calisthenics exercises include crunches, pushups, and pullups. I do
> not train my legs very much, unfortunately, because of knee issues.
>
> I have reached a point where I become concerned if doing the same
> stuff as before is not going to increase my muscle mass much. My max
> is about 12 pullups, 39 pushups (I am on an intensive 2 week
> GTG program to increase this number), and 90 or so crunches (I do 75
> everyday in one set).
>
> Compared to the beginning of the year, my arms and upper body look
> better and more muscular.
>
> So, I think, I could develop more muscle endurance, which would be
> dandy, but perhaps soon I will run into a limit of my muscle gain
> increases.
>
> So, what I would like is perhaps explore some advanced calisthenics
> such as "plyometrics" (rapid calisthenics). For example, instead of
> doing a regular pushup, do a pushup and clap my hands. I can do a few
> of those.
>
> Leg plyometrics is out because I start feeling knee pain (I have
> jogged for 20 or so years). Or maybe I could find some limited
> plyometric leg exercises.
>
> Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

You are going to have to add weight. 12 pullups is good but 39 pushups is
kind of low.

Increase resistance on these excersizes by doing declined or vertical
pushups, and use a rope and a cinderblock to add weight to the pullups.

--Falooley

Bob Falooley
June 3rd 04, 08:18 PM
Ignoramus23878 wrote:

> For a variety of reasons, I prefer to do calisthenics rather than gym
> type exercises. They simply fit my personality better. My main
> calisthenics exercises include crunches, pushups, and pullups. I do
> not train my legs very much, unfortunately, because of knee issues.
>
> I have reached a point where I become concerned if doing the same
> stuff as before is not going to increase my muscle mass much. My max
> is about 12 pullups, 39 pushups (I am on an intensive 2 week
> GTG program to increase this number), and 90 or so crunches (I do 75
> everyday in one set).
>
> Compared to the beginning of the year, my arms and upper body look
> better and more muscular.
>
> So, I think, I could develop more muscle endurance, which would be
> dandy, but perhaps soon I will run into a limit of my muscle gain
> increases.
>
> So, what I would like is perhaps explore some advanced calisthenics
> such as "plyometrics" (rapid calisthenics). For example, instead of
> doing a regular pushup, do a pushup and clap my hands. I can do a few
> of those.
>
> Leg plyometrics is out because I start feeling knee pain (I have
> jogged for 20 or so years). Or maybe I could find some limited
> plyometric leg exercises.
>
> Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

You are going to have to add weight. 12 pullups is good but 39 pushups is
kind of low.

Increase resistance on these excersizes by doing declined or vertical
pushups, and use a rope and a cinderblock to add weight to the pullups.

--Falooley

Steve Freides
June 4th 04, 03:31 AM
"Ignoramus23878" > wrote in message
> For a variety of reasons, I prefer to do calisthenics rather than gym
> type exercises. They simply fit my personality better. My main
> calisthenics exercises include crunches, pushups, and pullups. I do
> not train my legs very much, unfortunately, because of knee issues.
>
> I have reached a point where I become concerned if doing the same
> stuff as before is not going to increase my muscle mass much. My max
> is about 12 pullups, 39 pushups (I am on an intensive 2 week
> GTG program to increase this number), and 90 or so crunches (I do 75
> everyday in one set).
>
> Compared to the beginning of the year, my arms and upper body look
> better and more muscular.
>
> So, I think, I could develop more muscle endurance, which would be
> dandy, but perhaps soon I will run into a limit of my muscle gain
> increases.
>
> So, what I would like is perhaps explore some advanced calisthenics
> such as "plyometrics" (rapid calisthenics). For example, instead of
> doing a regular pushup, do a pushup and clap my hands. I can do a few
> of those.
>
> Leg plyometrics is out because I start feeling knee pain (I have
> jogged for 20 or so years). Or maybe I could find some limited
> plyometric leg exercises.
>
> Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

Have you considered adding simple bodyweight squats? There are a
variety of ways to do them - I recommend you squat much as one would
with a barbell: keep your entire foot on the floor, push your butt back,
keep your shins vertical. This kind of movement is OK for many
jogged-out knees. Unless your doctor says otherwise, it's certainly
worth giving a try and easing into to see if you can do. If you want to
be sure you're keeping your shins vertical, find something about knee
height, stand right in front of it with your feet mostly underneath it,
and squat from there. Try to keep your knees from banging into the
bench or whatever you're using. If that's too hard, give yourself a
little room but I wouldn't give yourself more than a couple of inches
for your knees to come forward. Squat until at least parallel and
hopefully until your thighs touch your calves.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com