Opinions on stamina elliptical?

Old January 16th 04, 07:39 PM
bdubya

Default Opinions on stamina elliptical?

I'm considering buying the Stamina programmable elliptical trainer
($500), since I can't get out for in-line skating with the winter
weather. I've been using my girlfriend's $99 stepper, which has begun
spewing hydraulic fluid (she's already gotten more than $99 worth of
use out of it, so that's ok, but an upgrade is definitely indicated.)
Anybody have any opinions pro/con on the Stamina machine? Other
suggestions in roughly the same price range?

TIA,
bw
Old January 31st 04, 11:16 PM
GreLon

bdubya wrote in message . ..
I'm considering buying the Stamina programmable elliptical trainer
($500), since I can't get out for in-line skating with the winter
weather. I've been using my girlfriend's $99 stepper, which has begun
spewing hydraulic fluid (she's already gotten more than $99 worth of
use out of it, so that's ok, but an upgrade is definitely indicated.)
Anybody have any opinions pro/con on the Stamina machine? Other
suggestions in roughly the same price range?

TIA,
bw

I am also interested in this model, did you ever decide and if so what
was you decision and reason for making it. I am considering the
HealthRider C 860 X $449 and the Reebok RL525 $799 but currently on
sale at the Sports Authority for $499. Unfortunately I have been
unable to find many reviews pos/neg which is making the decision
harder.
Old February 9th 04, 09:41 PM
bdubya

On 31 Jan 2004 14:16:45 -0800, (GreLon) wrote:

bdubya wrote in message . ..
[...]

Wound up buying it just over a week ago, and am quite happy with it so
far. I checked out everything I could get my hands/feet on in the
$1000-or-less range, and went with the Stamina (see link below for
photo). Picked it mainly because I liked the motion, plus it had a
relatively small footprint and is easy to move (little wheels on the
front feet); I would have gone as high as $1000 for something that
was clearly better, but liked the Stamina best, independent of price
(paid $525).

I checked everything on the floor at Sports Authority, Sportmart,
Galyan's and a local "discount fitness warehouse" place which seems
mainly to have commercial-grade stuff marked down. None of the other
"rear-drive" models (Reebok, ProForm, several others whose names
escape me) had as much vertical to their movement (mainly
fore-and-back with relatively little up-and-down) and most of them
just felt unnatural, like a backache waiting to happen (I've got
lumbar issues). Tried some front-drive models, including a huge
Schwinn that listed at $2k and was down to $900 (rejected because it
was so oversized), and a Diamondback 300 EL which ran a close second
to the Stamina, but was also a little big for my taste. The
front-drive models had a better motion than most of the rear-drive
models, but not any better than the Stamina.
There's a picture of it he
http://www.elliptical-trainer-supers...ptical_Trainer

Hope that helps,
bw