Training week ending 02/12/18

Old December 7th 18, 07:24 PM posted to rec.running
ken

Default Training week ending 02/12/18

On 03/12/18 18:30, rms wrote:
Entered two more races for 2019, a 65K trail/hill ultra in
February and a 43 mile trail ultra in August.

** I'm not sure what my situation will be next year, so I'm leery about
signing up to anything.* I sort of want to put into the LT100 lottery,
just to have a goal to point at.

rms

My memories may help to motivate you.

1. I felt completely shattered by the time I got to Fish Hatcheries
(Before the serious climbing had eve started)

2. Every time I put an anorak on the rain stopped. Every time I took it
off the rain resumed. To make matters worse my pack wasn't really large
enough for the kit that I was carrying so packing my anorak into it was
not a trivial task.

3. Going up Hope Pass a number of runners lying about. They didn't
appear to be just pausing for rest, they had that look about them that
suggested they were going to be thee for a long time. First Aid teams
rushing up to them. There but for the grace of God..

4. Approaching the top there is only one thing that any one is thinking
about. Can I make the top before passing the race leader coming the
other way? I'm getting close, keep moving, I can do this. But then the
naked runner comes storming past. I call out "good job" and then in an
undertone "*******". More runners coming, two, three, four, five, six,
oh forget it.

5. At last, the ghost town checkpoint. Technically, I can still get a
sub 25, but only if I do a near even split, which I know I won't.

6. Going back along the road. That's funny, it was uphill coming in. Why
is it uphill again coming out. I'd swear that as I came in I was walking
and the runners coming the other way were walking. Why am I walking
coming out, and the runners coming in are running.

7. The return up to Hope Past (not so far to climb on the way back).

Those runners coming the other way are going strong. It won't be long
before they overtake me.

A bit further up. Those runners coming the other way are doing all
right. I bet they overtake me before I get to the top of this.

A bit further up. They will probably overtake me eventually, but I
reckon I can get to the top first.

A bit further up. Those runners are cutting it a bit fine for the half
way cut off. I hope they are going to be all right.

A bit further up. Those runners definitely need to get a move on or
they've missed it.

And finally: They've missed the dead line. I know it and I can see from
the expressions on their faces that they know it. Nevertheless, they are
generous spirited enough to call out "good job" (translates into English
as "well done") to those of us on the way up, and it is difficult to
know what to say back that won't sound supercilious.

8. Getting to the top and looking down on a sea of tents and llamas (the
aid station is 150 ft below the summit). It is the most beautiful sight
in the world. I know at least that I can definitely finish (not
necessarily in time)

9. Hope Pass is easier on the way back but Sugarloaf is harder. You
know that what you can see is not the top. Not that you can see anything
much in the dark anyway. Just as well.

10. Bottom of Sugarloaf, it's all easy running from here. But there is a
problem. I've shot my quads and I can't run.

11. It's downhill, an easy gravel track, but I'm having to walk.
Everyone overtaking me.

12. At last the finish, a dead straight road, I can see the finish half
about a mile ahead. I manage to walk fast enough to overtake somebody
running. I feel guilty about it as I sneaked up on him while he was
talking to his wife who had gone out to meet him.

13. Suddenly, it is all over. It finishes ti the town so I don't have to
drive a vehicle with my eyelids propped up with matchsticks.

Its a good race, well worth doing, but fairly hard in my opinion for the
number of hours to finish in, so I wouldn't recommend it as a first
hundred. In any case there are many other hundreds that don't have a
lottery, though possibly not having as much razzmatazz as Leadville.

--
Ken
Old December 11th 18, 07:51 PM posted to rec.running
rms[_3_]

LT100 lottery,
My memories may help to motivate you.

haha! Very nice, Ken. I actually have completed 2 100s in the past,
the last RRR a few years back, and have started Lt100 once. I carefully
read and reread a popular internet guide to finishing it -- which especially
emphasized constant eating -- and got to the ~40mile mark (the last
aidstation before the river crossing and big climbs) at around 9.5hrs, about
1hr under the cutoff, and was actually feeling very good. But I had a
mental failure here, and dropped out of fear that -- having brought no
crew -- if I did miss a cutoff later on I'd be stranded on the course with
no way back. A mite irrational I know, and I'm still disappointed in myself
for that. Besides that, I was very pleased with my experience there; as you
know Lifetime got all kinds of bad press in previous years by overexpanding
the field, with litter & traffic etc issues. I saw none of that in my race,
and they'd done a great job cleaning their act up. The weather (this was a
couple years ago) was ideal, cool&no rain, so yeah I blew a perfect chance
for a finish

rms

Old December 13th 18, 12:46 PM posted to rec.running
ken

I understand how easy it is to get spooked by these considerations.

Had you got as far as the ghost town turn round point (Winfield?) there
would have been a large number of retirements there, and you would have
been bound to have a got lift with one of the other retirees.

I presume the place you retired was Twin Lakes, which you say is 40
miles into the course but only about 15-20 miles from Leadville by road.
Had you got back as far as Fish Hatcheries you would only have been 5
miles from Leadville by road. Retiring on top of Hope Pass would be
inconvenient, you might have to ride down on a Llama!

I don't know what RRR is, unless it is Rocky. In the Uk it would stand
for Rowbotham's Round Rotherham. If you have a thing about out and back
courses there are a couple in South Dakota that might interest you. One
is Lean Horse which is easy. (You have to go past a monstrosity where a
mountain is being demolished to create a statue of a red indian warrior
who I feel would be scandalised if he got to see it) The other is
Blackhills which is not easy but within the abilities of anyone who can
do Leadville. But whereas Leadville has two river crossings (one out
and one back) this has 10 (5 out and 5 back) so if being up to thigh
deep in water is not your thing, you have been warned. (They do have
guide ropes).

I didn't know about the bad press. I was aware that the organisers had
sold the event and it had become unambiguously commercial. I suspect
that part of the problem is that the town Leadville makes a lot of money
from the events, but nearby communities get the inconvenience without
any of the money.

LT100 lottery,

Old December 13th 18, 12:47 PM posted to rec.running
ken

On 07/12/18 19:26, Tim+ wrote:
ken Wrote in message:
On 03/12/18 18:30, rms wrote:
Entered two more races for 2019, a 65K trail/hill ultra in
February and a 43 mile trail ultra in August.

I'm not sure what my situation will be next year, so I'm leery about
signing up to anything. I sort of want to put into the LT100 lottery,
just to have a goal to point at.

.
Snip

Its a good race, well worth doing, but fairly hard in my opinion for the
number of hours to finish in, so I wouldn't recommend it as a first
hundred. In any case there are many other hundreds that don't have a
lottery, though possibly not having as much razzmatazz as Leadville.

Thanks for that Ken. Enjoyed your account.

Tim

Thanks Tim. I wish you well with your ultras.

Ken

--
Ken