Off Topic: Politically Correct 3

Old December 19th 03, 01:07 AM
Lee Michaels

Default Off Topic: Politically Correct 3

Students in England will no longer 'fail' national standardized tests under
new guidelines issued by the government, reports the Lincolnshire Echo --
they will instead get an 'N' grade for 'Nearly.'

People who grade tests have also been instructed to stop marking math
questions as right or wrong, but instead use the terms 'creditworthy' or
'not creditworthy.'

The new guidelines come from the government's Qualifications and Curriculum
Authority. They cover English, math and science exams taken by seven, 11 and
14-year-olds in all state schools and some private schools.

Nick Seaton, the chairman of the Campaign for Real Education, described the
changes as "political correctness gone stark raving bonkers".

-----------------------------------

School administrators in Scotland have been told to stop sending letters
homes warning of lice outbreaks because they may hurt the feelings of the
kids who are infested, reports The Scotsman.

Raising an alarm about the insects stigmatizes infected children and could
cause them long-term psychological damage, or so says the Scottish
Department of Health and Community Care.

Teachers said the advice was absolute malarkey, and some said they would
actually ignore it.

--------------------------------

State and county agricultural fairs across the country are increasingly
dropping traditional beauty contests and instead crowning "agricultural
ambassadors" in order to keep up with the times, reports the Baltimore Sun.

For the first time in six decades, Maryland will not crown a Farm Queen at
its state fair this year. Gone are the gowns, crowns and sashes. Instead, a
Maryland Farm Bureau Agricultural Ambassador will be named and she will be
wearing a black blazer.

"We are looking for ways to make it come more up to date with what's going
on around the country," said Andy Cashman, assistant general manager of the
Maryland State Fair.

Some county fairs, among them Anne Arundel, are also opening the competition
to males these days.

-----------------------

A blogger from The New Criterion's effort, dubbed Armavirumque, reports that
deep in the woods of New Hampshire one of the famed White Mountain huts is
equipped with . handicapped accessible features.

The Galehead Hut in the White Mountains, part of the Appalachian Mountain
Club's network of camping cabins, was renovated three years ago and, of
course, had to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

This, despite the fact that the cabin is five miles from the nearest paved
road over jagged granite.

------------------------

A survey of people in Australia found that more than two-thirds of them are
fed up with the prevalance of political correctness, reports the Queensland
Sunday Mail.

The survey of 1200 people by research company The Truth Report found those
aged 18 to 24 and over 50 were most likely to be annoyed.

"To the pushers of political correctness, people are just saying, 'They've
had their go, now bugger them' and adopting a more pragmatic and practical
approach," said AustraliaScan social commentator David Chalk.

--------------------

Old December 19th 03, 08:23 AM
John HUDSON

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 01:07:51 GMT, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

Students in England will no longer 'fail' national standardized tests under
new guidelines issued by the government, reports the Lincolnshire Echo --
they will instead get an 'N' grade for 'Nearly.'

People who grade tests have also been instructed to stop marking math
questions as right or wrong, but instead use the terms 'creditworthy' or
'not creditworthy.'

The new guidelines come from the government's Qualifications and Curriculum
Authority. They cover English, math and science exams taken by seven, 11 and
14-year-olds in all state schools and some private schools.

Nick Seaton, the chairman of the Campaign for Real Education, described the
changes as "political correctness gone stark raving bonkers".

Is he right or is he right?

PC is the scourge of our times!

-----------------------------------

Old December 19th 03, 10:24 AM
JimmySmith

Subject: Off Topic: Politically Correct 3
From: "Lee Michaels"
Date: 12/18/2003 7:07 PM Central Standard Time

Lee, I doubt know where you get all this crap. A little was fine but you're
just going Nuts. Enough with the ****s and giggles. Pick one story a day or
something. And please, give us your thoughts. I'd love to see inside your
brain.

The Free State Project: Liberty in Your Lifetime
http://www.freestateproject.org
Old December 19th 03, 01:40 PM
Wayne S. Hill

From: "Lee Michaels"

Lee, I doubt know where you get all this crap. A little was
fine but you're just going Nuts. Enough with the ****s and
giggles. Pick one story a day or something. And please,
give us your thoughts. I'd love to see inside your brain.

That's Elzi's department.

--
-Wayne

Old December 19th 03, 02:23 PM
Lee Michaels

From: "Lee Michaels"

Lee, I doubt know where you get all this crap. A little was
fine but you're just going Nuts. Enough with the ****s and
giggles. Pick one story a day or something. And please,
give us your thoughts. I'd love to see inside your brain.

That's Elzi's department.

Elzi is a double threat.

She not only looks inside minds, she also peers deep into our very CELLS.

(And she doesn't even ask the cell's permission either.)

Old December 19th 03, 04:37 PM
Adam Fahy

Lee Michaels wrote:

Elzi is a double threat.

She not only looks inside minds, she also peers deep into our very CELLS.

(And she doesn't even ask the cell's permission either.)

Police state! War crimes!

-Adam
Old December 19th 03, 04:38 PM
Lee Michaels

"John Hanson" wrote in message
On 19 Dec 2003 10:24:02 GMT, immys (JimmySmith)

From: "Lee Michaels"
Date: 12/18/2003 7:07 PM Central Standard Time

Lee, I doubt know where you get all this crap. A little was fine but

you're
just going Nuts. Enough with the ****s and giggles. Pick one story a

day or
something. And please, give us your thoughts. I'd love to see inside

your
brain.

I disagree. I wan't more.

Snowpeople?

The Central Michigan University affirmative action office's attempts to ban
Santa Claus backfired after noel-lovers stood up for their rights, reports
the Saginaw News.

The office posted a "Christmas Warning" on its online calendar warning
against displays of Christmas cheer. The advisory, entitled, "How to
celebrate Christmas without offense" said it "is inappropriate to decorate
things with Santa Claus or reindeer or other `Christmas' decorations."

"Good ideas for decorations during this time are snowflakes, snowpeople,
poinsettias to give a feeling of winter," the notice said. Other cultural or
religious holidays in December such as Hanukkah or Kwanzaa did not have
similar warning attached, the paper said.

The university took down the warning after fielding complaints from the
Catholic League in New York. The office replaced its warning with a softer
"suggestion" advising the campus community to "please be sensitive and
respectful of others of all cultural traditions."

-----------------

See lots more at

http://www.tonguetied.us/

Old December 19th 03, 05:16 PM
MJL

wrote:

Students in England will no longer 'fail' national standardized tests under
new guidelines issued by the government, reports the Lincolnshire Echo --
they will instead get an 'N' grade for 'Nearly.'

People who grade tests have also been instructed to stop marking math
questions as right or wrong, but instead use the terms 'creditworthy' or
'not creditworthy.'

The new guidelines come from the government's Qualifications and Curriculum
Authority. They cover English, math and science exams taken by seven, 11 and
14-year-olds in all state schools and some private schools.

Nick Seaton, the chairman of the Campaign for Real Education, described the
changes as "political correctness gone stark raving bonkers".

Personally I think PC is great. We live in a world now where the only
thing that can hurt us is, generally, each other. There are no wild
frontiers where you need rough tough manly men with no feelings, to
tame.

Where I do think PC goes wrong is when it softens respect for learning
and the scientific process. The above does not bother me much because
it still tells the student "you're wrong". If the student is worth
being taught then that will be enough. The days of hammering students
into a mold so that they would be docile factory workers are gone or
at least should be. Students who are going to have much value to the
future are going to be self-motivated. People who object to this
still think with the "whip em into a mold" mentality.