Confused bulk

Old January 12th 04, 08:01 AM
Willem

Default Confused bulk

I'm trying to bulk ... I calculated my BMR to be 2750 (38 year, 81 Kg, 189cm,
12.5% BF) I started bulking in the first week of december and instantly grew
2 kilo's, then it stopped. I am eating 3350 (and 3850 on training days)...
now yesterday I stepped on the scales and they told me I LOST a kilo...

WTF... I thought being 500+ should do the trick ? Ofcourse I could just eat
more and that will probably work, but I'm still confused as to what is going
on. I thought there would be a more or less gradual increase in bodyweight..
a pound per week, give or take a pound, but a kilo loss...?

Apart from eating more, I was wondering wether some sort of cycling would
maybe shock my body into growth... like eating a week extra much, or maybe
even eating a week below maintenance... any ideas ? (hints, suggestions,
experiences, theories, explanations :-)

Old January 12th 04, 04:00 PM
void11

"Willem" wrote in message
. 4.15...
[...]

I've been in the same boat. For a while, it seemed as if increasing my
caloric intake was not enough. I've been trying to bulk up since October
and hardly put on any weight. Just in the past week or two, my weight has
started to jump a bit. I find that I can't simply increase weight by 1 lb
per week. Unfortunately, some of the weight is going to my belly.

--
Ed

http://members.rogers.com/startingpoint

Old January 12th 04, 10:30 PM
Peter Allen

Willem wrote in message .4.15...
I'm trying to bulk ... I calculated my BMR to be 2750 (38 year, 81 Kg, 189cm,
12.5% BF) I started bulking in the first week of december and instantly grew
2 kilo's, then it stopped. I am eating 3350 (and 3850 on training days)...
now yesterday I stepped on the scales and they told me I LOST a kilo...

WTF... I thought being 500+ should do the trick ? Ofcourse I could just eat
more and that will probably work, but I'm still confused as to what is going
on. I thought there would be a more or less gradual increase in bodyweight..
a pound per week, give or take a pound, but a kilo loss...?

Apart from eating more, I was wondering wether some sort of cycling would
maybe shock my body into growth... like eating a week extra much, or maybe
even eating a week below maintenance... any ideas ? (hints, suggestions,
experiences, theories, explanations :-)

Possibles:

1. You used a crap BMR calculator to guess your BMR, and it gave you a
low answer. In which case assume a higher BMR. (2750 isn't small,
though...)

2. You're not eating as much as you think you are. Write everything
down and make sure.

3. You're doing more work than you think you are, like perhaps doing a
bit of cycling to get to the gym or whatever. Get a big pack of
biscuits (preferably lowish-fat, high calorie ones you like eating)
and eat whenever you feel peckish.

Your instant growth thing will be water weight, I'd guess; you don't
put on muscle that fast. Cycling food isn't really worth bothering
with: if you're not growing, you need to just eat more. You might want
to try eating more protein (tuna sandwich), and doing more compound
exercises (so bent-over DB rows not curls...).

Peter
Old January 14th 04, 08:14 AM
Willem

(Peter Allen) wrote:

Willem wrote in message
.4.15...
[...]

I used several, they all come in the same area. This one was from the
Harris Benedict formula.

2. You're not eating as much as you think you are. Write everything
down and make sure.

I do, down to the 5 gram of chocolate I have after dinner. There is a scale
in the kitchen so I can weigh if I am not sure about the amount I get.

3. You're doing more work than you think you are, like perhaps doing a
bit of cycling to get to the gym or whatever. Get a big pack of
biscuits (preferably lowish-fat, high calorie ones you like eating)
and eat whenever you feel peckish.

I cycle 1 mile to work, and walk 500 metres to the gym... the 2750 came
from the formula using an activity amplifier of 1.5, which should account
for the weekly bike ride to town (5 km) however fast I ride. (I train 3
times a week, 45 minutes, no cardio)

Your instant growth thing will be water weight, I'd guess; you don't
put on muscle that fast.

that's what I thought, I was a bit low on carbs during the previous cut.

Cycling food isn't really worth bothering
with: if you're not growing, you need to just eat more. You might want
to try eating more protein (tuna sandwich), and doing more compound
exercises (so bent-over DB rows not curls...).

I'm doing HST, lot's of compound movements, although DB (or pulley) rows is
great for my back I always top it of with curls for my biceps.

Thanks for the help, I'll up the Calories to see what happens.

But I was wondering, how gradual is other people's growth, does it go
neatly at about 1 pound per week, or does it go in spurts.

Peter

(plus I really should probably buy new scales, this one is weird at times)

Old January 15th 04, 10:20 PM
Peter Allen

Willem wrote in message .4.15...
(Peter Allen) wrote:

Possibles:

1. You used a crap BMR calculator to guess your BMR, and it gave you a
low answer. In which case assume a higher BMR. (2750 isn't small,
though...)

I used several, they all come in the same area. This one was from the
Harris Benedict formula.

IMO, this counts as crap - you're only giving it your age, height and
weight and a guess at your 'activity level', whatever that is. It's
probably going to be 'accurate on average', i.e. if you enter 1000
people into it and average the errors you'll get nearish zero. But
it's not going to know what your genetics are, and 'moderate activity'
means very different things to different people.
On the other hand, actually getting it worked out properly is a real
hassle, especially if you are gaining or losing weight, or even more
if you're losing fat but gaining muscle...

3. You're doing more work than you think you are, like perhaps doing a
bit of cycling to get to the gym or whatever. Get a big pack of
biscuits (preferably lowish-fat, high calorie ones you like eating)
and eat whenever you feel peckish.

I cycle 1 mile to work, and walk 500 metres to the gym... the 2750 came
from the formula using an activity amplifier of 1.5, which should account
for the weekly bike ride to town (5 km) however fast I ride. (I train 3
times a week, 45 minutes, no cardio)

That's actually a fair bit of work, especially when you probably do
the rides more like a series of sprint efforts than steadily (city
riding?)

If your activity 1.0 base level is 'bedridden', which it probably is,
you're doing more than half again that.

But I was wondering, how gradual is other people's growth, does it go
neatly at about 1 pound per week, or does it go in spurts.

You're going to get a lot of weight jumping around; hydration levels,
food eaten, etc. have more effect than any short term muscle gain. Try
weighing yourself at the same time every morning (say just before
breakfast) and plotting a graph; more data will help you see the
longer term trends.

(plus I really should probably buy new scales, this one is weird at times)

If you've money, get a nice digital set with auto-calibration and so
on.

If not, get a cheap dial set, stand at attention on them (in the
military sense..) and get someone to draw round your feet, then always
stand same place same posture, or the readout is inconsistent.

Peter
Old February 3rd 04, 07:20 AM
Axel of the North!

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 08:01:42 +0000 (UTC), Willem
wrote:

I'm trying to bulk ... I calculated my BMR to be 2750 (38 year, 81 Kg, 189cm,
12.5% BF) I started bulking in the first week of december and instantly grew
2 kilo's, then it stopped. I am eating 3350 (and 3850 on training days)...
now yesterday I stepped on the scales and they told me I LOST a kilo...

WTF... I thought being 500+ should do the trick ? Ofcourse I could just eat
more and that will probably work, but I'm still confused as to what is going
on. I thought there would be a more or less gradual increase in bodyweight..
a pound per week, give or take a pound, but a kilo loss...?

Apart from eating more, I was wondering wether some sort of cycling would
maybe shock my body into growth... like eating a week extra much, or maybe
even eating a week below maintenance... any ideas ? (hints, suggestions,
experiences, theories, explanations :-)

Hey Willem. If you are knowledgeable about cocoa (or is it cacao?)
then how come you're still eating it when you are looking to gain
bulk?

---
for healthy, natural, environmentally friendly foods in Minnesota go to
http://wholefarmcoop.com

Bit confused :-( Carl Collins General 2 February 23rd 04 10:03 PM
want to bulk up legs over 4 month period, suggestions welcome xy Weights 13 November 15th 03 07:17 PM
where can i buy egg whites in bulk? Christy Weights 10 November 6th 03 12:51 AM
where can i buy egg whites in bulk? Christy General 1 November 4th 03 09:03 PM
what to eat to bulk up? futura Weights 14 October 7th 03 11:40 PM