Plantar Fasciitis

Old November 30th 05, 03:57 AM posted to rec.running

Default Plantar Fasciitis

It just will not go away.Seeing the Dr. now. Just wanted to here what
you had to say.

Old November 30th 05, 07:52 AM posted to rec.running

In article om,
wrote:

It just will not go away.Seeing the Dr. now. Just wanted to here what
you had to say.

Some folklore that may be of some insight.

Oz

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 16:51:47 -0700
From:
(Ozzie Gontang)
Newsgroups: rec.running
Subject: Some Folklore on Understanding and Preventing Injury to the
Plantar Fascia Was: Heel spurs (plantar fasciitis)

In article , "adalio_theseus"
wrote:

If anyone has any ideas/tips re treating plantar fasciitis I would be very
grateful to hear of them . I am using twice daily ice packs trying to rest
affected heel and have got orthotic support in shoe, but progress is
frustratingly slow. Tia.

Adalio,

Hope this gives you some assistance. Oz

Here's some ideas on how to understand the plantar fascia and the muscles
that effect it. Then some hints on how to prevent injury to the plantar
fascia by using some exercises for better balance

Bruce Abrams wrote:

Thursday night I did 6 miles at roughly a 9:00 minute pace. Took Friday &

Saturday off and did
4 on Sunday at about a 10 min pace (there was a light coating of snow on
the
ground.) I felt
great yesterday morning and worked out on the
cross trainer at the gym for 40 minutes. About
10 yesterday morning I got up to get some water andhad a very sharp pain
in
the bottom of my foot,
kind of where the front of my heel meets the back
of my arch. It hasn't gone away or gotten worse
and doesn't hurt if I'm just sitting, and doesn't
hurt if I walk on my forefoot only. But, as soon
as there's any weight placed on my whole foot, it
feels like a knife cutting. Any ideas?

Some Folklore on Understanding and Preventing Injury to the Plantar
Fascia
c.2000, 2002 Austin "Ozzie" Gontang, Ph.D.

Dedicated to Doug, Mike, Denny, Robert and You
Friends who continue to question the answers of answered questions and
unquestioned beliefs.

1. The Stirrup Muscles (Peroneus and the Posterior Tibialis) Are There to
Protect the Plantar Fascia

When the peroneus longus and medius on the outside of the lower leg and
the
posterior tibialis along the inside of the lower leg, behind the shin
bone
become weakened or chronically tight, these muscles, often called the
stirrup muscles since they invert and evert the foot, don't act as they
should. This problem with these muscles can allow the plantar
fascia-which
is suppose to hold the arch of the foot in place-to take the pressure
because the stirrup muscles aren't working.

This is one reason some coaches have runners balance on one foot on a
two by
four or perpendicular to a step and bending the knee a inch or two. This
is
the reason you see all the balance boards and balance tubes being
advertised.

Some coaches won't have their students even think of doing speed training
until they can balance on one foot with no vibrations or trembling of the
ankle.

Other coaches have the individual lift off the heels about an inch and
balance on the ball of the big toe and the next two toes. They then while
keeping the body erect bend the knees and lower themselves as far as
comfortably able and then back up. They do several repetitions. Gradually
they are able to balance as they go all the way down and then back up.

The plantar fascia is taking the slack when the stirrup muscles are not
working correctly and properly.

The above is folklore. If it works for you, use it. If it doesn't work,
then
give it neither energy or added thought just find someone who makes sense
and whose folklore works for you....and use it. Or create your own and
share
it on rec.running to see it stands the test of being questioned.

2. Some Folklore to Relieve the Pain in the Arch

Next, I would get a piece of water hose about 2 feet long. While standing
with your feet straight ahead i.e. | | and not \/ easily move from one
foot
to the other with the hose ---|--|---- in the middle of the arch. Step
on it
so as to not create pain but to see how tender the arch/plantar fascia
is.

Start behind the ball of the foot and stepping from foot to foot, work
down
slowly so that foot starting behind the ball while stepping on the hose
works its way down so that the foot is stepping on the hose just in
front of
the heel

With socks on, stand on a stair with the balls of the feet over the edge.
(you are facing down stairs) Slowly commence wiggling the toes and slide
one
foot slowly down the edge of the step. As the foot slides down the edge
of
the step you can put more pressure on the outside of the arch but just
enough to feel the tightness...and NOT to create any pain.

As the arch slides down the edge of the step, the toes will be pointed
toward the step below at a 45 to 60 degree angle.

-\ Side view of the foot sliding down the edge of the step.

These are two pieces of folklore that have created numerous miracle cures
from extreme tightness and pain.

Let us know if they are of help to you.

If you check out
http://www.mindfulness.com/of1.asp the same sliding
downward motion of the calf can help loosen the calf muscles and
alleviate
the pain experienced by many in the Achilles Tendon.

Remember this is GAPO folklore. If it works for you use it. If it doesn't
work, or doesn't make sense, then don't give my folklore any energy,
time or
consideration. Find someone that makes sense and whose folklore works for
you...when you use it.

3. Some Exercises to Strengthen the Stirrup Muscles and Protect the
Plantar
Fascia

Here's an exercise to help work these muscles Posterior Tibialis and
Peroneus (stirrup muscles) which help stabilize the ankle and are
suppose to
be working so that the plantar fascia doesn't have to take any excessive
strain.

Stand with feet about four inches apart so that the feet are || and not
\/.

Bend knees and place left foot so it is straight ahead and left heel is
about 6 to 10 inches ahead of the right toe...and still maintaining the
four
inches apart.
| =left foot

....| =rt. foot

Allow your legs to straighten and shift weight so that weight is between
the
two feet.

Lift onto the balls of the feet so that the heels are off the ground
three-quarters of an inch. While on the balls of the feet, you should be
able to wiggle your toes to prove you're balanced on the ball of the
foot.
(That leaning forward so that the toes have to dig in can be one of the
causes of hammer toes.)

Keep your body erect, hands resting at the sides of the body, eyes ahead
and
on the horizon, and head erect.

Keeping your body erect and balanced between the two feet, slowly lower
the
body as far as comfortable. At first you may need to touch the back of a
chair, or wall, or table with one hand to maintain balance. At first you
may
not be able to go down very far because of tightness in the knees.

Do 10 bends with the left foot forward and then 10 bends (as far down so
that there is no knee strain) with the right foot forward.

Do twice a day.

Each day add another single bend of the knees until you get to twenty.
Great
little exercise while waiting in lines.

As you get better you'll find that you can go down deeper and that also
you
don't wobble as much.

The muscles you're using are the two muscle groups which keep you from
overpronating: the peroneus and the posterior tibialis. You are also
working
the shin and calf plus the bending of the knees with the body erect
allows
for the elasticity of the knee joints and the flexibility of the thighs.

See the Mensendieck post at the bottom to purchase one of the reference
books I've used for the past 20 years.

Here's another reference book for your running library that you will use
for years to come. If you want to purchase a copy of one of the books
that
I still use as a guide to answering questions and understanding running
problems, send $15 which covers the price of the book and
shipping/handling.

The book is:
Hidden Causes of Injury, Prevention and Correction, for Running Athletes
and
Joggers
c. John Jesse, 1977.

Make out the $20 check or money order to:
IAM or Int'l Assoc. of Marathoners
c/o Ozzie Gontang
2903 29th Street
San Diego, CA 92104

John Jesse was a team mate at USC with Payton Jordon who was the US
Olympic
head track and field coach in 1968. John wrote this book for you and me,
so
that we could understand through popular language, and with scientific
and
technical language kept to a minimum but using diagrams, illustrations or
short glossaries so we the laymen could understand should we want to
delve
deeper.

Excerpt from the Intro:

"Three of the four hidden factors (of injury) - muscular imbalance,
postural
faults, and foot faults - are so common among the general population
that it
is doubtful whether any young athlete enters the field of athletic
competition without being affected to a lesser or greater degree by one
or
more of them."

"The writer (John Jesse) believes a more detailed and complete
discussion of
these factors and of the methods of correcting them or preventing their
further development will enable the coach, trainer, and athlete to cope
with
them early in the young athlete's career. It will enable the athlete to
reduce to a minimum the number of roadblocks and setbacks he(she) suffers
during training and in pursuit of his(her) goals."

"The information presented here should be of great value to the several
million physical fitness joggers and runners in the population, because
the
book is aimed at providing understandable answers to all injuries that
interrupt their progress toward attainment of an increased level of
cardiovascular fitness, or that interfere with the psychological
satisfactions obtained from engaging in such activities."

"The human body supports itself against gravity, segment upon segment,
relying on the muscles and ligaments that cross the joints, along with
postural reflexes, to maintain an erect position and proper body
alignment.
Hence, there has to be a total or "holistic" approach to prevention and
correction of the hidden factors mentioned above. The reader must
integrate
his/her thinking to a total body concept."

Adalio,

This post about the Mensendieck may be of helpfrom a few days ago may
also
obe of help:

In article , Nic Wiseman
wrote:

Hi there,

some of you may remember me asking about shin splints on this service a
couple of weeks ago.
Well, I did my first 10K in 1:02:50, quite a slow time, but was my first
in five years--and I've only been running again since October.

Anyway, last night I visited a podiatrist who videoed me in bare feet
and in my Nike shoes.
She came to the conclusion that I have .
Apparently my feet roll so much that the shin pains I get are due to
overly stretching the muscle at the front of the shin, it also expalins
my niggly knees!

One thing she also said was that Mitzuno shoes are rubbish, as are Puma,
and Fila.
So, it was a relief to get some kind of diagnosis, even though I had
just purchased a new pair of Nike Air, which she said would do very
nicely as a pair of slippers.

Just thought you might be interested in my little tale.
Thanks to Ozzie for his help, your tips help also.

Nic

Nic,

So, Oz, with that title: "Diagnosis without Understanding is Sharing
Ignorance" tell us how you really feel about this issue?

Just a dialogue with my self-righteousness, Nic. Just making visible
my biases and assumptions. As I've repeated numerous times here at
rec.running, my mentor, Pat Murray's words continually ring in my ears:
"Oz, you can only educate yourself. The better you educate yourself,
the more it allows others to educate themselves."

That's why the folklore and sharing of Denny, Sam, Patrick, Tim, Doug
and so many others plus the great questions from so many other
rec.runners makes rec.running such a great place to hang around....and
educate myself. So many here have driven into the heart, fabric and
culture of rec.running: Above and beyond answering questions, we're
here to question answers....no matter who gives it.

As a longtime friend Gautama Buddha said recently:

Don't believe in anything merely because it is said, nor in traditions
because they have been handed down to us from ancient times. Don't
believe in rumors that you hear. Don't believe in the writings of wise
men and women because these sages wrote them. Don't believe in
whatever fancies even when we suspect they were inspired in us by God.
Don't believe in some inferences from some half-baked assumption we
made. Don't believe is what seems to be of analogical necessity.
Don't put your belief in the mere authority of our teachers and
masters.

Rather believe when the writing, doctrine, or what they say is
corroborated by reason and consciousness.

With that being said, here's a suggestion to help you corroborate
through your own reason and consciousness.

A great book is by a mother/daughter team who both graduated from
the Mensendieck Institute in Holland.

You can purchase their book:

Mensendieck Your Posture and Your Pains
Ellen B. Lagerwerff and Karen Perlroth

The book is $14+ $3 for shipping and handling
In CA there's sales tax.
Send your check or money order to:

Mensendieck Enterprises
P.O. Box 19450
Stanford, CA 94309-9450

In this book
Mensendieck Technique 11: Ankle Conditioners
Supination and Pronation
Plantar Flexion and Dorsiflexion
Mensendieck Technique 14: Standing Erect on the Bases of the Big Toes
Mensendieck Technique 15: Ankle Carriage

As stated on the dustcover blurp: "This volume shows how to shape up
your posture, and release your muscular discomforts, through the
application of plain common sense." Mensendieck takes the idea that
no matter where anyone is from rehabilitation to world class Olympian,
these simple movement patterns and exercise techniques can be practiced
to achieve the grace that the body can have.

Mensendieck talks about stirrup muscles (the peroneus and the posterior
tibialis) and shows through the exercises how to strengthen those
muscle groups.

The book delivers, and has for me since I discovered in back in the
late 70's.

If anything, this is a gift to rec.runners whose orthopedists and
podiatrists say: "You have severe pronation and need to use motion
control shoes." "Your pronation problem is so bad. You need to never
run again."

Rec.running is about mindful and mindless running First being mindful
that running as a movement can be graceful and not destructive.
Mindless that once one continues to play and practice good form and
style it becomes a habit...a lifelong habit.

Not giving my power away, but I do get upset at professionals that tell
us this is the diagnosis, but are unable to give us the insight/story
to understand what's going on. To say that the answer is "use motion
control shoes" in my mind begs the question: What can I do to my body
to correct the over pronation issue? The other part of the equation is
that most of us would rather have someone tell us what's wrong and get
some panacea they prescribe, than to create the folklore to prove them
wrong.

Give a man a fish and he can survive for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he can survive for a lifetime.

Give a man a motion controlled shoe and he can run until the problem
can't be corrected and he must stop running.
Teach a man the motions to control his running body and the muscles and
posture required, and he can run injury-free barefoot or racing flatted
for a lifetime
..
It's not the recipe, it's the cook. Lee Thayer

--
In health and on the run,
Ozzie Gontang

Mindful Running http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp
Old November 30th 05, 08:35 PM posted to rec.running

I tried everything when I had PF in the past. The only thing that
really helped were night splints. I use the Salzburg Sox. I don't know
if it is better or worse than other kinds.

Jack

Old December 1st 05, 01:51 PM posted to rec.running

I had PF about 6-7 years ago. Tried the splints and a few other things
to no avail. I finally broke down and saw a podiatrist.
$350 later, I had molded orthotics. Haven't worn a shoe
without them since and nary a twinge.
I run 20-25 mi./week. Half-marathon in Tucson this Sun.
Going for under 2 hrs. Yee-hah!
Pete LaBerge

Old December 3rd 05, 05:42 AM posted to rec.running

"Jack" wrote in message
ups.com...
I tried everything when I had PF in the past. The only thing that
really helped were night splints. I use the Salzburg Sox. I don't know
if it is better or worse than other kinds.

Jack

I'll second the Salzburg Sock. That was the best money I have spent
on treating PF. At least I can walk in the mornings. Have had it now
for about 2 weeks. Prolly gonna be another 4 -6 before I start trying
some very light treadmill work (walking) and then extremely
slowly increase pace/frequency.

This hasn't been fun, but it has forced me to focus on the "real" training
issues (i.e. stretching, core strength).

WadeV