how to drink water from a cup while running

Old December 28th 03, 07:30 AM
eikel

Default how to drink water from a cup while running

pardon my weird question, but for i have trouble drinking from a paper cup
while running.

i have raced a few 10Ks and everytime i try to drink from one of those cups
filled with water, i spill all over myself. the spilling is not the
problem, it's just that i want some water in my body.

sure, you say, you dont really need any water for a 10K, but im training
for a marathon, and i could really need some fluids during a long period of
running.

are there any 'techniques' to obtaining as much H2O from those darn cups
while still keeping your pace? and are there 'etiquettes' for disposing the
cups? it seems that everybody just throws em on the ground.
Old December 28th 03, 10:59 AM
Jack Berkery

Yes, if it's a paper cup. Hold your hand around the top rim of the cup and
make a fist
to crush it. This creates a smaller opening in the gap between the
forefinger and thumb
which you can drink from without splashing all over yourself. You might
cause half of
it to spill out while crushing, but you'll be holding it out at your side
during that action
anyway and what you lose isn't important. You'll be able to take smaller
controlled
sips and eventually get more in you.

If it's a plastic cup, forget it, it won't crush, it will break.
--
Jack Berkery, Latham, NY

.. .

Old December 28th 03, 12:48 PM
Killer of scum

eikel wrote in message ...
pardon my weird question, but for i have trouble drinking from a paper cup
while running.

Use your mouth stupidass!
Old December 28th 03, 01:02 PM
Doug Freese

Jack Berkery wrote:

Yes, if it's a paper cup. Hold your hand around the top rim of the cup and
make a fist

So you old fart, where have you been and what ya been doing???

--
Doug Freese
"Caveat Lector"

Old December 28th 03, 02:49 PM
Killer of scum

"Jack Berkery" wrote in message . ..
Yes, if it's a paper cup. Hold your hand around the top rim of the cup and
make a fist
to crush it. This creates a smaller opening in the gap between the
forefinger and thumb
which you can drink from without splashing all over yourself.

OMG! WHAT A GENIUS! How did you ever think of such a thing? Just think
of the humanity you've saved, all those poor thirsty joggers dropping
like flies, until... this.
Old December 29th 03, 12:04 AM
Jack Berkery

I haven't bothered with rec.running in a long time because of the high noise
to data ratio. I just tuned in again out of curiosity and I saw one of
those common FAQ questions pop up, so I responded out of reflex. I think I
wrote that same answer into the very first rec.running FAQ in the late 80s.
What goes around comes around.

I have been continuously subscribed to DRS and CVRT since their inception
however. Those being moderated groups, would not allow the dimwits that
infest this group so constantly to stay subscribed for even a day.

I've had a pretty bad year in 03. Hurt my back weight lifting in June
training for the shot put. I finally threw it out in major fashion in a T&F
meet in August and was sidelined for the entire fall. I missed the
Schenectady Stockade-athon 15Km for the first time since 1991. I've run that
race over 20 times and hate to miss it. The only reason I missed running it
in 91 was open heart surgery, so that should provide a measure of the
magnitude of this back sprain.

All is well now as the year comes to a close and I may be able to make it to
the New Years Day race in Albany, but my total mileage is the lowest since
1978, so it will have to be the 3 miler not the half-marathon.
--
Jack Berkery, Latham, NY
once known as "The Common Sense Coach"