How Good Are Street-Fighters?

Old July 16th 03, 06:34 PM
slotman1958

Default How Good Are Street-Fighters?

I've had several martial arts instructors who worked from the
assumption that if you get in a street fight, it will be with someone
who has no training. For example, they might say, "On the street,
nobody ever throws a close, tight left hook. It will be a wide,
looping punch that's easy to get inside."

In a real street fight, all things being equal, the winner is going to
be the guy who can hit first, hardest, and not be afraid of getting
hit himself.

What all of these "martial arts" classes, books, etc. fail to mention
is this: if you have never been in a fight, you don't know how to
fight. Period. How good a fighter you are is directly in proportion to
how many fights you have been in. I don't care if you made it to 18th
degree black belt, if your program didn't include *intensive*
sparring, you don't know how to fight.

I saw a movie recently called *Knockaround Guys* where the Vin Diesel
character squares off against a guy who's supposed to be the toughest
guy in town and tells him that he figured out as a kid he needed to
have at least 500 street fights under his belt before he could
consider himself *tough*. He then proceeds to beat the crap out of the
guy in a pretty realistic (for a movie anyway) fight.

Fighting is a learned skill and the more you do it, the better at it
you get.
Old July 17th 03, 02:47 AM
sean

(slotman1958) wrote in message

[...]

I would just like to comment that this is about the single best
response I've seen to the whole street fight vs classic artial arts
war I've seen.

Your first paragraph is exactly, I mean word for word, what a very
close friend of mine(who, is practically like the guy from the movie
and stopped counting how many scraps he had been in around 50 or so).

The ability to take a punch and know that it really is more of a
mental shock than a physicaly disabling, in his opinion, is what wins
fights.

Old July 17th 03, 03:24 AM
Mistress Krista

"sean" wrote in message
om...
Your first paragraph is exactly, I mean word for word, what a very
close friend of mine(who, is practically like the guy from the movie
and stopped counting how many scraps he had been in around 50 or so).

If you've been in around 50 street fights, isn't this a sign that you should
perhaps start working on your social skills or something?

Krista

--
--------------------
www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

Old July 17th 03, 03:40 AM
Lee Michaels

"Mistress Krista" *rem0vethis* wrote in
message ble.rogers.com...

"sean" wrote in message
om...
Your first paragraph is exactly, I mean word for word, what a very
close friend of mine(who, is practically like the guy from the movie
and stopped counting how many scraps he had been in around 50 or so).

If you've been in around 50 street fights, isn't this a sign that you

should
perhaps start working on your social skills or something?

LOL

Social skills?? Whazzat?

I am certain in some environments those 50 fights count as "social skills".

Another potential difficulty is finding the right person to teach him those
social skills.

Old July 17th 03, 04:12 AM
David Winters

"Mistress Krista" *rem0vethis* writes:

"sean" wrote in message
om...
Your first paragraph is exactly, I mean word for word, what a very
close friend of mine(who, is practically like the guy from the movie
and stopped counting how many scraps he had been in around 50 or so).

If you've been in around 50 street fights, isn't this a sign that you should
perhaps start working on your social skills or something?

Probably, but who's going to risk it to suggest to someone like that?

D.