Overtraining

Old September 12th 04, 07:34 PM
Paul

Default Overtraining

Hi;

I have my own personal impression about overtraining, which I would like
some feedback on, since I don't know if it is right or not.

I've assummed you can't overtrain in one day -- that is, overtraining
comes from working out too frequently & not giving your muscles enough
days to recover. My feeling has been if you take enough time between
workouts, you can train pretty intensely in a given session -- within
reason.

I'd like to focus on my chest, for example, so I give it a pretty
intensive workout -- 5 sets of benches to failure, then incline benches,
then dumbell flies then machine flies; for example. Then I take 3 days
off & train again on the fourth day.

I used to work out quite a bit for a few years, then got distracted for
the last 12 years, & now trying to get back into it. I'm older now
(45), & maybe the body of wisdom has changed as well, so I'm trying to
figure out a sensible way to go forward from here.

Thanks for any advice,

Paul

Old September 12th 04, 08:01 PM
Martin Shuster

On 2004-09-12 14:34:00 -0400, Paul said:

Hi;

[...]

If you're going to failure on all of those sets you are probably overtraining.

Overtraining can essentially occur on several levels: neurological (if
you go to failure all the time), endocrine (you train for too long
and/or too frequently), or muscular (you hurt yourself).

I think you need to decide what your goals are and work from there.

--

Martin Shuster

vanity at jhu dot edu

*printed on recycled electrons*

Old September 13th 04, 06:03 AM
Ben Gussey

"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You have to ask yourself what benefit you are getting from going to failure
for 5 sets? And is it more beneficial than going to failure on just one set?
I would suggest it is not.

Regards,
Ben.

Old September 13th 04, 09:19 AM
Paul

Ben Gussey wrote:

"Paul" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Well, I guess that's pretty much what I was trying to ask the group. So
if the concensus is that 1-3 sets to failure is more reasonable than
5; what about the interval?

Some say 48 hrs between working the same muscle groups; some say a week.
Is there also an age factor in the recovery time? I would imagine it
wouldn't be the same for a 20 yr old as a 50 year old. I also imagine
it would be different for someone who is highly conditioned and has been
training intensely for several years, vs. someone who is not in
condition and only starting out.

Any theories? Or even better, facts?

Paul
Old September 13th 04, 01:51 PM
Ben Gussey

"Paul" wrote in message
. ..

Well, I guess that's pretty much what I was trying to ask the group. So
if the concensus is that 1-3 sets to failure is more reasonable than
5; what about the interval?

Some say 48 hrs between working the same muscle groups; some say a week.
Is there also an age factor in the recovery time? I would imagine it
wouldn't be the same for a 20 yr old as a 50 year old. I also imagine
it would be different for someone who is highly conditioned and has been
training intensely for several years, vs. someone who is not in
condition and only starting out.

Any theories? Or even better, facts?

Paul

I think just about all bodybuilding - related to training - is theoretical.
I haven't seen too many routines backed with much in the way of factual
information. Personally, I think twice a week with 1-2 working sets is
optimal.

Regards,
Ben.

Old September 13th 04, 01:51 PM
Mistress Krista

"Ben Gussey" wrote in message
u...
"Paul" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

And out of curiosity, what factual information is that recommendation based
on?

Krista

--
http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html
http://www.trans-health.com

Overtraining? Lazy? Ted General 1 July 10th 04 08:02 PM
Overtraining? BreakAndEnter Weights 3 June 30th 04 05:02 PM
Overtraining and muscle memory Peter Webb Weights 1 March 31st 04 04:36 PM
Please help: Incredibly sick from overtraining & weak immune system Ron Weights 26 January 22nd 04 06:59 PM
Overtraining Question Jack Newton Weights 10 October 15th 03 09:06 PM