Tuna!

Old September 16th 04, 04:36 AM
Jim

Default Tuna!

"Dot" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Does anything beat tuna in terms of cost and protein amount? I mean, 30
grams of protein in a can which costs less than a dollar! I'm a starving
student and I'm always stocked up with at least 10 cans in the cupboards.

eat at least a can a day which might not be so good with all the mercury
that is apparently in it...What else ranks up there with tuna in terms of

cheap protein source (food, not supplements) ? Beans are good? Peanut

butter
is a bit too fattening no?

Thanks for any input!

I hate tuna. Chicken..2 bucks a pound. Beef is good too.

Jim

Old September 16th 04, 04:44 AM
Jim

"Ignoramus19552" wrote in message
In article [email protected], Dot wrote:
Does anything beat tuna in terms of cost and protein amount? I mean, 30
grams of protein in a can which costs less than a dollar! I'm a starving
student and I'm always stocked up with at least 10 cans in the

cupboards. I
eat at least a can a day which might not be so good with all the mercury
that is apparently in it...What else ranks up there with tuna in terms

of a
cheap protein source (food, not supplements) ? Beans are good? Peanut

butter
is a bit too fattening no?

Chicken legs sell for $0.39 per lb in our grocery store. That's 2.5
lbs of chicken legs for a dollar. That's basically enough food for the
day, calorie wise. I would suppose that there is more than 30 g of
protein in 2.5 lbs of chicken legs. Plus, healthy fats and collagen
and so on.

For a dollar, you can buy 10 large eggs, that would give you 60 grams
of protein, 770 calories, and numerous vitamins.

I do not think that tuna is anywhere close to being unbeatable on the
basis of cents per gram of protein.

Unless you hate tuna...it tastes like my latest redhead. Nasty!

Jim

Old September 16th 04, 07:09 AM
synecdoche

On 16 Sep 2004 03:40:11 GMT, Ignoramus19552
wrote:

In article [email protected], Dot wrote:
Does anything beat tuna in terms of cost and protein amount? I mean, 30
grams of protein in a can which costs less than a dollar! I'm a starving
student and I'm always stocked up with at least 10 cans in the cupboards. I
eat at least a can a day which might not be so good with all the mercury
that is apparently in it...What else ranks up there with tuna in terms of a
cheap protein source (food, not supplements) ? Beans are good? Peanut butter
is a bit too fattening no?

Chicken legs sell for $0.39 per lb in our grocery store. That's 2.5
lbs of chicken legs for a dollar. That's basically enough food for the
day, calorie wise. I would suppose that there is more than 30 g of
protein in 2.5 lbs of chicken legs. Plus, healthy fats and collagen
and so on.

Damn, I need to switch to your grocery store! $0.39 a pound?

Here it is something insane (I think it is close to over $10 a
kilogram).

dave
Old September 16th 04, 12:50 PM
Ed

Milk's bloody cheap and around 35 g protein per litre here where I live
(Germany)...

"Dot" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Does anything beat tuna in terms of cost and protein amount? I mean, 30
grams of protein in a can which costs less than a dollar! I'm a starving
student and I'm always stocked up with at least 10 cans in the cupboards.
I eat at least a can a day which might not be so good with all the mercury
that is apparently in it...What else ranks up there with tuna in terms of
a cheap protein source (food, not supplements) ? Beans are good? Peanut

Old September 16th 04, 04:42 PM

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:36:17 -0400, "Jim" wrote:

"Dot" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Does anything beat tuna in terms of cost and protein amount? I mean, 30
grams of protein in a can which costs less than a dollar! I'm a starving
student and I'm always stocked up with at least 10 cans in the cupboards.

eat at least a can a day which might not be so good with all the mercury
that is apparently in it...What else ranks up there with tuna in terms of

cheap protein source (food, not supplements) ? Beans are good? Peanut

butter
is a bit too fattening no?

Thanks for any input!

I hate tuna.

If you hate tuna, I have just one word for you:

wasabi

Hal

Old September 16th 04, 06:02 PM
bc

wrote:

[...]

I can get 6 oz cans of chunk light tuna in water at wallmart and kmart
for around $0.39 per can. Each can is 150 cals, 32 g protein. Still
pretty good.

- bc
Old September 17th 04, 02:40 PM
bain

SNIP

Here it is something insane (I think it is close to over $10 a
kilogram).

dave

$ 10 / Kilo is for top of the line boneless skinless breast.
you can get cheaper utility grade boneless skinless breast around $ 8 / Kilo
legs are about $2 a pound

Old September 17th 04, 03:23 PM
Dot

[...]

What about convenience factor though too! Bring a can with you wherever you
go, along with a can opener. No need for a fridge or freezer.

Old September 17th 04, 05:03 PM
Proton Soup

On 17 Sep 2004 14:38:27 GMT, Ignoramus474
wrote:

In article KrC2d.33556$%[email protected], Dot wrote:
[...]

That's nice, yes... Eggs are pretty portable too. The question was
about getting protein value for the money though.

A box of 60 eggs costs me about $4.00 locally. That's about $0.011/g
protein. Plus you get other good stuff in the egg in addition to the
protein, so in reality, the protein costs a good deal less than one
penny per gram.

Proton Soup

"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum."