Witch Hazel to prevent swimmers ear?

Old April 18th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

Default Witch Hazel to prevent swimmers ear?

If I put a few drops in my ear after getting out of the
pool..... would it be a safe thing to do?
Old April 19th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

wrote in message
If I put a few drops in my ear after getting out of the
pool..... would it be a safe thing to do?

What most people do is make a solution of rubbing alcohol and vinegar. The
alcohol dries out the ear canal and the vinegar makes it an acidic
environment. The actual proportions are not critical. Just buy a little
squeeze bottle and fill it up about half and half.

Pat in TX

Old April 20th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 09:33:51 -0500, "Pat in TX"
wrote:

wrote in message
If I put a few drops in my ear after getting out of the
pool..... would it be a safe thing to do?

What most people do is make a solution of rubbing alcohol and vinegar. The
alcohol dries out the ear canal and the vinegar makes it an acidic
environment. The actual proportions are not critical. Just buy a little
squeeze bottle and fill it up about half and half.

Pat in TX

Yep, both my swimmers (grand kids) know to stop in the kitchen for
their ear cocktail before going any further.

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx
Home: http://davidclary.com

Old April 20th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming

What most people do is make a solution of rubbing alcohol and vinegar. The
alcohol dries out the ear canal and the vinegar makes it an acidic
environment. The actual proportions are not critical. Just buy a little
squeeze bottle and fill it up about half and half.

Pat in TX

Yep, both my swimmers (grand kids) know to stop in the kitchen for
their ear cocktail before going any further.

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx

It has an added benefit of getting any water out of your ears--no more
"clogged ears" feeling.

Pat in North Texas

Old April 20th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming

If I put a few drops in my ear after getting out of the
pool..... would it be a safe thing to do?

Okay, I just looked up the definition of Witch Hazel. It is an astringent
made from the juice of the Witch Hazel bush. The alcohol/vinegar solution
works by creating an acidic environment plus disinfecting, so over all, I
think that might be better--and cheaper.

Pat in North Tex

Old April 20th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

"Pat in TX" wrote:

What most people do is make a solution of rubbing alcohol and vinegar. The
alcohol dries out the ear canal and the vinegar makes it an acidic
environment. The actual proportions are not critical. Just buy a little
squeeze bottle and fill it up about half and half.

I see

Will try it out

I have TERRIBLE time with swimmers ear in summer and on
vacation
Old April 20th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

"Pat in TX" wrote:

Okay, I just looked up the definition of Witch Hazel. It is an astringent
made from the juice of the Witch Hazel bush. The alcohol/vinegar solution
works by creating an acidic environment plus disinfecting, so over all, I
think that might be better--and cheaper.

OK

Just the info I need

Thanks!
Old April 24th 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

We always check for that vinegar smell when we kiss the kids goodnight. The
familiar saying when no vinegar is present is "Did you do your ears?" A few
tough cases of swimmers ears and they don't need to be reminded much.

90-95% rubbing alcohol and the rest vinegar and we have not had any
problems.

I don't know about witch hazel....

Old April 24th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

"Brian Foster" wrote:

90-95% rubbing alcohol and the rest vinegar and we have not had any
problems.

I don't know about witch hazel....

OK point taken

I will use a mix of alcohol and vinegar

I once took a trip to Caribbean

Spent everyday in the sea water

When I got back I developed a ROARING ear infection!!

If I go to beach again...I want to PREVENT such an
infection using mix above

Good idea?
Old April 24th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming

In article , wrote:

I will use a mix of alcohol and vinegar

[...]
If I go to beach again...I want to PREVENT such an
infection using mix above

Good idea?

Yes. The sooner the better, after getting out of the water.

--
John Rethorst
jrethorst at post dot com

Easy question about technical clothing (MORE THOUGHTS) Running 7 April 8th 05 07:24 AM
Changes again: swimmers and the pull Elzinator Weights 7 October 5th 04 04:37 AM
Kicking quiz Donal Fagan Swimming 42 September 6th 04 07:44 PM
History and Motivation of Larry Runnswim Larry Weisenthal Swimming 27 July 17th 04 09:45 PM
Impact of rec.sport.swimming Larry Weisenthal Swimming 264 September 15th 03 07:07 PM