Anyone has endurance tips?

Old September 1st 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Grace

Default Anyone has endurance tips?

Is there any trainer or distance swimmer here who can give me some tips on
how to build endurance? So far I can only do at the most two laps (50 yards
total) then I have to rest for about a minute or so to do another lap or two
(freestyle).

I just got back into swimming again last month but even seven years ago when
I used to swim once or twice a week, I have not been able to train myself to
do over one lap (olympic size) at a time without resting.

Please advise. Thanks.

--
Extinction is forever!
www.savethemanatee.org

Old September 1st 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Robert W. McAdams

Grace wrote:
Is there any trainer or distance swimmer here who can give me some tips on
how to build endurance? So far I can only do at the most two laps (50 yards
total) then I have to rest for about a minute or so to do another lap or two
(freestyle).

I just got back into swimming again last month but even seven years ago when
I used to swim once or twice a week, I have not been able to train myself to
do over one lap (olympic size) at a time without resting.

Please advise. Thanks.

The first step is to make sure you're swimming technique is efficient.
It is possible to waste enormous amounts of energy if your technique
isn't good.

Bob

Old September 1st 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
JJ

I was a breast stroker initially (which I could do for hours without any
tiredness). I wanted to start doing more front crawl (free style being an
event not a stroke) so I used to do 10 lengths of breast stroke and one of
crawl (which left me tired and out of breath for the next 10 breast stroke
lengths).

Over a period of months, a bit at a time I replaced 1 length of breast
stroke with 1 of front crawl, until I was doing more crawl than breast
stroke - and finally I knocked the breast stroke on the head completely - I
can now crawl for 2-3 miles without any serious tiredness (and I had little
coaching in technique - although I am not for a minute suggesting you
shouldn't get any coaching). If you plod on over time, assuming you don't
swim in a horrible fashion, you should find you just settle into a rhythm
you can sustain. It shouldn't be exhausting once you settle down (and
probably slow things down a bit - there is absolutely no need to rush things
and thrash about once you get into the swing of it).

Old September 2nd 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Chancellor_Goth

What is a "lap" - I thought it was two lengths (100 metres)? A 50 yard
distance isn't even one length is it??

Frank

Old September 2nd 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
[email protected]

Grace wrote:
Is there any trainer or distance swimmer here who can give me some tips
on
how to build endurance? So far I can only do at the most two laps (50
yards
total)

a) don't top post.

b) a lap is a term best not used in swimming; it is ambiguous because
the course is not circular.
Old September 2nd 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Grace

Congratulations. I'm glad that worked for you.

I can only do 3-4 laps of breaststroke before running out of breath and
resting (just like in freestyle LOL). I'll try a few advice I got and if
none of them work for me I might take that breaststroke route. Thanks.

--
Extinction is forever!
www.savethemanatee.org

Old September 2nd 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.sport.swimming
Grace

How far can you go before a short rest?

These are the suggestions I got so far:

1. Keep doing the swim-rest combo LOL, but increase the number of sets
before quitting time.
2. Even when you're tired at the end of your usual distance, just try to
swim a few feet more. (Keep watch of your heartbeat though.)
3. That breastroke strategy discussed by JJ.

It does help to have someone check your stroke too.

--
Extinction is forever!
www.savethemanatee.org
"Tiff" wrote in message
ps.com...
If I had any suggestions, I would be twice as fast as I am now. I have
probably the worst endurance there ever was.

Old September 5th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.sport.swimming
novice

You are probably lazy. Join a club and do some races. Turn up the
anxiety because you are asleep.