Kirkland vitamins any good?

Old September 11th 06, 09:39 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Larry Hodges

Default Kirkland vitamins any good?

So, are they? I was told that the body has a hard time absorbing them. How
about a website that tests certain vitamin brands for quality, etc.?

If they do suck, any recommendations?

-Larry

Old September 12th 06, 01:38 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
ATP*

"Larry Hodges" wrote in message
. ..
So, are they? I was told that the body has a hard time absorbing them.

Who told you? Although I have no way of testing vitamins, I have had good
experiences with Kirkland coffee, jeans, shirts, luggage, etc.. Costco is an
ethical company with a reputation for value and quality. In the absence of
evidence to the contrary, I trust their vitamins as well.

Old September 12th 06, 08:35 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
[email protected]

Hi Larry,
I know a lot of vitamins out there are crap and do not absorb well in
the body. The best vitamins are made from whole food, such as Nikken
(the best). If you want to know if Kirkland vitamins are good, put one
vitamin in white vinegar to see if it dissolves. White vinegar is
about the same make up of your stomach acid which is why this will
work. If it doesn't dissolve, you have your answer. If it takes too
long to dissolve (more than 3 minutes) it may not be good either. If
it dissolves too fast that isn't good (1 min or less). A lot to this
but try it out for yourself and see if Kirkland is good. Hope this
helps.

Ben Warstler
Build Better Athletes

Old September 12th 06, 10:33 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
David Cohen

wrote
Hi Larry,
I know a lot of vitamins out there are crap and do not absorb well in
the body.

References, please.

The best vitamins are made from whole food, such as Nikken
(the best).

References, please.

If you want to know if Kirkland vitamins are good, put one
vitamin in white vinegar to see if it dissolves. White vinegar is
about the same make up of your stomach acid which is why this will
work. If it doesn't dissolve, you have your answer. If it takes too
long to dissolve (more than 3 minutes) it may not be good either.

Yeah, because most people have a 3 minute gastric transit time.

If
it dissolves too fast that isn't good (1 min or less).

References, please.

A lot to this
but try it out for yourself and see if Kirkland is good. Hope this
helps.

Oh, I'm sure it does. Larry was in need of a good laugh. You have truly
helped.

Ben Warstler
Build Better Athletes

You build them with Legos, don't you?

Thought so.

Old September 12th 06, 11:42 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Jason Earl

"David Cohen" writes:

wrote
Hi Larry, I know a lot of vitamins out there are crap and do not
absorb well in the body.

References, please.

The best vitamins are made from whole food, such as Nikken (the
best).

References, please.

I didn't want to say anything, but now I can't help but pile on here.
I have a family member that is always trying to sell me some Nikken
stuff and so I have looked into their "products." I have a hard time
getting excited about any company's "fitness" products that would try
and sell me expensive weighted shoes as an alternative to exercise.

http://www.nikken.com/index.cfm?fuse=prod1&prod_id=1910

If you want to know if Kirkland vitamins are good, put one vitamin
in white vinegar to see if it dissolves. White vinegar is about
the same make up of your stomach acid which is why this will work.
If it doesn't dissolve, you have your answer. If it takes too long
to dissolve (more than 3 minutes) it may not be good either.

Yeah, because most people have a 3 minute gastric transit time.

So how would *you* judge whether a vitamin is good or not. I
currently am taking (I kid you not) Flintstone's Chewables because my
kids won't eat them and I am too cheap to throw them away. When those
are gone I will probably buy the Kirkland brand vitamins because I
like shopping at Costco, and I like the Kirkland brand.

If I had any idea what they put in a "good" vitamin I would compare
myself, but I don't really have an idea as to what constitutes a good
multivitamin. Chances are fair that Kirkland's vitamins will be "good
enough" for me, but I'm always curious.

If it dissolves too fast that isn't good (1 min or less).

References, please.

A lot to this but try it out for yourself and see if Kirkland is
good. Hope this helps.

Oh, I'm sure it does. Larry was in need of a good laugh. You have
truly helped.

Jason
Old September 12th 06, 11:52 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Curt James

Jason Earl wrote:
"David Cohen" writes:
wrote
[...]

My first thought was Consumer Reports, however their advice
http://www.consumerreports.org/mg/drug-reports/multivitamins.htm
amounted to, "Ask your pharmacist any questions you have about
multivitamins."

Not what I expected, but not such a bad first step, I suppose.

I currently am taking (I kid you not) Flintstone's Chewables because my
kids won't eat them and I am too cheap to throw them away. When those
are gone I will probably buy the Kirkland brand vitamins because I
like shopping at Costco, and I like the Kirkland brand.

If I had any idea what they put in a "good" vitamin I would compare
myself, but I don't really have an idea as to what constitutes a good
multivitamin. Chances are fair that Kirkland's vitamins will be "good
enough" for me, but I'm always curious.

[...]

Jason

--
Curt

Old September 13th 06, 12:49 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
David Cohen

"Curt James" wrote
Jason Earl wrote:
"David Cohen" writes:
wrote
[...]

I love Consumer Reports when it comes to cars, cameras, dishwashers, and
stuff like that.

When it comes to anything involving medical type issues, I have found their
advice well and truly sucks.

Old September 13th 06, 12:59 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
David Cohen

"Jason Earl" wrote
"David Cohen" writes:
wrote
[...]

The ingredients in standard vitamin/mineral tablets are widely available and
relatively cheap, so, they are all "good" if they contain the micronutrients
that you want. If Flintstone Chewables has the nutrient profile that you
ant, it's just fine.

What one desires in their multinutrient supplement is an entire different
subject. I want all kinds of stuff in there, in big amounts, and am willing
to pay to get it, so, I buy Life Extension Foundation's LE Mix and LE
Booster...10 tabs, about $2, a day...as the start of my supplementation. But
that's what I want, and what I'm willing to pay. If a Kirkland tablet, or a
grape Bam Bam, is what you want, it's all ok with me.

Old September 13th 06, 03:17 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
jimmy

I remember seeing a news story that said that almost all vitamins are
manufactured by only a handful of companies.

Some brand names charge more for the same tablets even though most
vitamins come from the same sources.