Powerlifting Bench Press

Old September 16th 06, 01:02 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
James

Default Powerlifting Bench Press

I've read replies on this board where people say that powerlifting
bench press is done with the shoulder blades pinched.

I've read other sources, like Wikipedia, that say powerlifters to not
pinch their shoulder blades together at all.

Which is correct?

Is there a good reference for this?

Thanks in advance

Old September 16th 06, 01:04 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
James

sorry for the typo:

I've read other sources, like Wikipedia, that say powerlifters DO not

Old September 16th 06, 02:39 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
jimmy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bench_press

"It is properly performed while lying on one's back with one's
shoulder blades pinched together
on a specially designed bench with a weighted barbell suspended on a
rack.

Not pinching one's shoulder blades together causes the anterior
deltoids (frontal shoulders) to take over. The feet are kept flat on
the ground at all times.

Use your feet placement to reduce the slight arch in one's lower back
as much as possible. Don't let one's buttocks lift off the bench."

Powerlifter people on this board: IS THIS WRONG? You guys should
know, so I'm asking. Admittedly, I don't know much about powerlifting
competition, mostly because I could care less.

The purpose of bench press is to develop the chest with a full
contraction of the pectorals, right?

I've gotten responses on this board from powerlifters who say that
correct powerlifting form involves having the "shoulders retracted"
with "as much arch in the back as possible."

The purpose of bench press is not to just push the weight up. What
good is that, anyway?

I would like another opinion, please.

Old September 16th 06, 02:45 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Jason Earl

James wrote:
I've read replies on this board where people say that powerlifting
bench press is done with the shoulder blades pinched.

I've read other sources, like Wikipedia, that say powerlifters to not
pinch their shoulder blades together at all.

Which is correct?

Is there a good reference for this?

Thanks in advance

This is what Dave Tate says:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459808

It's hard to argue that his answer isn't the definitive answer for
powerlifters. Here's an exerpt:

2 - Keep your shoulder blades pulled together and tight.

This is a very important and often overlooked aspect of great
bench pressing. While pressing you have to create the most stable
environment possible. This can't be done if most of your shoulder
blades are off the bench. The bench is only so wide and we can't
change this, but we can change how we position ourselves on the
bench.

When you pull your shoulder blades together you're creating a
tighter, more stable surface from which to press. This is because
more of your body is in contact with the bench. The tightness of
your upper back also contributes. These techniques also change the
distance the bar will have to travel. The key to pressing big
weight is to press the shortest distance possible.

I think everyone should be forced to read that article before
benching. I'll probably never bench even 400 lbs., but Dave's tips
made pressing a lot more comfortable for me.

Jason

Old September 16th 06, 04:16 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
jimmy

I think I need to reread what he says there.

he is....kind of long-winded

I want COOKBOOK detail, short and sweet.

What is the purpose of bench press? To make the pecs really big or to
push up a certain amount of weight?

It's one of the great mysteries of the ages, in all seriousness.

Old September 16th 06, 06:01 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Curt James

jimmy wrote:
[...]

Powerlifter people on this board: IS THIS WRONG? You guys should
know, so I'm asking. Admittedly, I don't know much about powerlifting
competition, mostly because I could care less.

1) MFW is a newsgroup which is not the same thing as a board. 2) Why
are you asking questions about something you "could care less" about?
(Although many say "I could care less!" it probably makes more sense to
say "I couldN'T care less.")

The purpose of bench press is to develop the chest

For some trainers.

with a full contraction of the pectorals, right?

For some trainers.

I've gotten responses on this board

I'm bored... with your post. HAW! Uh, never mind.

[...]

The purpose of bench press is not to just push the
weight up.

For some trainers... it is.

What good is that, anyway?

Oh, perhaps in a bench press contest? And when I was in the service, a
member of the armed forces died after being pinned under a soda
machine. Had he been able to bench press... what DOES a pop machine
weigh? Anyway, he'd at least have had a better chance of moving the
demon machine off his sternum.

I would like another opinion, please.

And there you have it! Worth every penny you paid for it.

--
Curt

Old September 16th 06, 06:38 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
JMW

"jimmy" wrote:

I think I need to reread what he says there.

he is....kind of long-winded

I want COOKBOOK detail, short and sweet.

What is the purpose of bench press? To make the pecs really big or to
push up a certain amount of weight?

It's one of the great mysteries of the ages, in all seriousness.

It's a pretty moronic question. The purpose for a powerlifter is to
push as much weight a possible. The purpose for a bodybuilder is
pectoral development, as well as tricep development.
Old September 16th 06, 10:16 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Pete

"jimmy" schreef:

What is the purpose of bench press? To make the pecs really big or to
push up a certain amount of weight?

To make the pecs really big.

Getting stronger is considered a "side effect."

----
Pete

Old September 16th 06, 10:21 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Pete

"jimmy" schreef:

The purpose of bench press is to develop the chest with a full
contraction of the pectorals, right?

Right.

I've gotten responses on this board from powerlifters who say that
correct powerlifting form involves having the "shoulders retracted"
with "as much arch in the back as possible."

So you got your answer, yet you are contradicting them anyway? Sounds
familiar...

The purpose of bench press is not to just push the weight up. What
good is that, anyway?

It is no good. Do NOT bench press!

I would like another opinion, please.

And you got one.