To Bulk or to Cut?

Old September 17th 06, 06:22 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Big Shot

Default To Bulk or to Cut?

I would like to say hi to all the regulars here. I look forward to many
informative and entertaining discussions.

About myself...

- I'm 26 years old.
- Been lifting weights on and off since I was 18.
- I look like crap.
- I'm 6' and 180 lbs (maybe 15-20 pounds overweight).
- Yes, I'm skinny *and* fat.

Should I try to lose the 15-20 first, and then start "bulking" or
should I try to pack on as much muscle as possible over the next 5 or 6
months, then worry about cutting then?

Which approach would make more sense?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old September 17th 06, 08:05 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Pez D Spencer

lemme ask my magic eightball.

it says: i forsee an argument.

don't know what that means...

Old September 17th 06, 09:37 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Robert Schuh

Big Shot wrote:

I would like to say hi to all the regulars here. I look forward to many
informative and entertaining discussions.

About myself...

- I'm 26 years old.
- Been lifting weights on and off since I was 18.
- I look like crap.
- I'm 6' and 180 lbs (maybe 15-20 pounds overweight).
- Yes, I'm skinny *and* fat.

Should I try to lose the 15-20 first, and then start "bulking" or
should I try to pack on as much muscle as possible over the next 5 or 6
months, then worry about cutting then?

Which approach would make more sense?

Any help would be appreciated.

I am a huge proponent of getting as lean as possible and then putting
muscle on from there. I worked out in high school and competed in 2 teen
age BBing shows, but with all the time I was spending practicing drums my
senior year of high school and then eating dorm food my first year in
college, I got up to 190 with a 33" waist. I worked out and dieted like
crazy and dropped to 140 in about 4 months and had my body fat tested at
5%. I then increased my calories about 20% and started lifting heavier and
got up to 170 in 2 months and my body fat only went to 6%. I then did my
first cycle of steroids and gained another 20 lbs in 8 weeks and dropped to
4%. At that point, I started to add some more fat to my diet and gained
another 10 lbs or so, but got much stronger etc. There is always a rebound
effect after a strict diet and just about every BBer I know of has a big
growth spurt right after a contest. Some guys like to take time off after a
contest, but that was when I really upped my calories, increased my steroid
dosages and lifted as heavy as possible. To give you an example, I won the
Mr. Phoenix in June of 1988 as a middleweight, 176 lbs. I competed in March
of 1989 at 1998 and was leaner than I was at 176. I gained over 20 lbs of
lean body mass during that period. Trust me, learning how to get lean will
always serve you well in life and it gives you a great deal of self
confidence.

--
Robert Schuh
- Nietzsche

http://www.hardbopdrums.com/

Old September 17th 06, 09:37 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Pete

"Big Shot" schreef:

Should I try to lose the 15-20 first, and then start "bulking" or
should I try to pack on as much muscle as possible over the next 5 or 6
months, then worry about cutting then?

Yes.

Because losing weight is eassier when you have more LBM...

----
Pete

Old September 17th 06, 01:44 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Curt James

Robert Schuh wrote:
Big Shot wrote:

[...]

I love this kind of post from Schuh. Intelligent, experience,
helpful... wonderful.

But Schuh has never been in the OP's boat (a boat that I'm basically
in). At 185 and 6'1", my bf% is around 15%. Is my math right? Does that
mean I have almost THIRTY pounds of fat on me? Regardless, my
suggestion to you, Big Shot, is to think about your goals and how you
want to reach them. Is it important to you to be as lean as possible,
especially heading into the winter.

I don't know where you're located, but my abs won't be on display until
2007, so I'm content to work a power (from my perspective) program.
I've never been especially strong, but I'm working a 5 x 3 program
concentrating on deadlift, power clean and press, and squat with assist
exercises of pulldowns, rows, reverse curls, hypers using a 4 x 6-8
set/rep scheme. Throwing in some ab work as well - supersetting leg
raises and crunches. Last workout saw a 115 lb clean followed by a
strict (okay, some lean but no jerk/push) press. Recent workouts saw
squats with 210 below parallel, and deadlifts with 315 which was my
former 1 rep max as I build toward my teen year max of 365.

Anyway, I'm more interested in building strength and muscle than seeing
my obliques right now. You make your own choice, obviously. I will say
that if I had Schuh's X structure then perhaps I'd be eager to strip
the fat and show off the tiny waist, however having inherited wide hips
and, yeah, narrow shoulders, I'll stick with the "put some muscle on"
workouts versus the "getting as lean as possible" routine.

Best of luck with your training, Big Shot. Post updates on how your
workouts proceed.

Robert Schuh

Hey, Mr. Phoenix, I notice an absence of any mention of Tarzan or
O'Keeffe. What's up with that? Oh, well. Pay attention to Bully's .sig
when you get a chance, 'kay?

--
Curt

Old September 17th 06, 06:28 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Larry Hodges

"Pete" wrote in message
"Big Shot" schreef:

Should I try to lose the 15-20 first, and then start "bulking" or
should I try to pack on as much muscle as possible over the next 5 or 6
months, then worry about cutting then?

Yes.

Because losing weight is eassier when you have more LBM...

----
Pete

While I tend to agree with Pete over Rob, why not shorter cycles? Two
months bulking, one month cutting, two months bulking, etc.? Frist of all,
he's not 20 lbs overweight. He's just out of shape. In fact, at this
point, he could just about eat at maintenance and work out consistently and
be about at the same place in six months don't you think? Bulking and
cutting work best when you're already fairly lean. Until then, just work
out and eat right.

-Larry

Old September 17th 06, 07:23 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Bill Eitner

Larry Hodges wrote:
"Pete" wrote in message
"Big Shot" schreef:

Should I try to lose the 15-20 first, and then start "bulking" or
should I try to pack on as much muscle as possible over the next 5 or 6
months, then worry about cutting then?

Yes.

Because losing weight is eassier when you have more LBM...

----
Pete

While I tend to agree with Pete over Rob, why not shorter cycles? Two
months bulking, one month cutting, two months bulking, etc.? Frist of all,
he's not 20 lbs overweight. He's just out of shape. In fact, at this
point, he could just about eat at maintenance and work out consistently and
be about at the same place in six months don't you think? Bulking and
cutting work best when you're already fairly lean. Until then, just work
out and eat right.

-Larry

I agree. Mass train, eat at maintenance or slightly
below, and see what happens.
Old September 18th 06, 06:30 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Big Shot

Thanks to all. I've decided to go the "bulking" route seeing as how
coat weather is already here. Probably bulk until February, then cut
March, April and May.

Like I said, I've been lifting weights on and off since I was 18. I
used to be a lot stronger and had more muscle than I do now. My high
was 205 lbs. I just weighed myself and I'm at 176 now.

By February 28, my goal is at least 200 lbs and to have exceeded all of
my personal bests in the big lifts.

I'll keep you all posted.

Old September 18th 06, 08:11 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Bully

Curt James wrote:
[...]
Robert Schuh

Hey, Mr. Phoenix, I notice an absence of any mention of Tarzan or
O'Keeffe. What's up with that? Oh, well. Pay attention to Bully's .sig
when you get a chance, 'kay?

Uh?

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Lose fat then bulk up or bulk up then lose fat Archy Weights 36 April 7th 04 11:20 PM
lean up or bulk up.. 2fast Weights 2 February 5th 04 03:09 AM
Confused bulk Willem Weights 5 February 3rd 04 07:20 AM
want to bulk up legs over 4 month period, suggestions welcome xy Weights 13 November 15th 03 07:17 PM
where can i buy egg whites in bulk? Christy General 1 November 4th 03 09:03 PM