Grams of protien per body wieght?

Old September 18th 06, 05:27 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
kinjono

Default Grams of protien per body wieght?

Great group I read here allot..looking for opinions on..
How many Grams of protein should I be aiming for per body weight?
I am getting into a cutting cycle and want to minimize muscle loss.
I have good bulk excellent definition but lost the six pack to a thin
layer of fat from the summer lay off

My diet is fairly sound eating clean and consuming 2500-3000 Cals a day.
I break down my intake of approx 20%-30% Carbs, 10%-20% Fat, and 50%-60%
Protein.
I plan on lowering this to 2000-2200 Cals a day, but I am thinking I
should consume around 180 Grams of Protein a day to help minimize muscle
loss which is hard because with the help of Protein Powder which I do
use daily my shakes have 40 Grams of Protein per serving with the milk
there is approx 400 Cals.
That doesn't leave allot of room for solid food.
A typical day diet wise is...

7:30am Breakfast: Bowl of Fiber First cereal 300 Cals

10:00am Break, 1 Protein shake 400 Cals

12:00 Lunch, 1 can Albacore Tuna 1 tbsp MiricleWhip Light 2 slices of WW
bread 300 Cals
Glass of Tomato Juice 100 Cals

3:00 Break, 1 Protein shake 400 Cals

Supper 6:00pm, Brown Rice, Veggies, 1-1.5Lb Steak or Chicken Breast or
Turkey Breast or Haddock etc. Aprox 700-800 Cals

Evening Snack 9:00pm, Protein Shake 400 Cals

Might have a Banana or other fruit in there throughout the day. 150 Cals
Sometimes a bag of light Popcorn 250 Cals

That would be approx 3000 Cals with approx 190 grams of protein.

My routine for the past 2 years faithfully (take a month or two off in
the summer) is Back on Mon....Chest on Tues...Off Weds....Arms on
Thurs...Legs on Fri. Usually 3 sets per large muscle group and 2 sets on
the smaller muscles, bi`s and tri`s. I do cardio at least 30 mins 3-4
times a week and walk allot at work.
I weigh 190 @ 5.8Ft Tall, Male, 38 years old @ approx at 17% body fat.

So am I correct in trying to keep the protein intake high?
or should i just concentrate on making sure I am in calorie deficit and
let the protein intake be what it would be when i cut the calories down?

Thanks..any advice would be appreciated.
Old September 18th 06, 06:00 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Robert Schuh

kinjono wrote:

[...]

Why are you getting so many calories from protein supplements instead of
real food? Let me tell you, bodybuilders get at least 90% of their calories
from food.

--
Robert Schuh
- Nietzsche