Rest between workouts for specific muscle groups

Old September 21st 06, 06:32 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
The Litwaks

Default Rest between workouts for specific muscle groups

How long do I need to rest, 1 day, 2 days, between workouts on the
same muscle groups? Can I do machines mainly for biceps and chest today
and triceps and back tomorrow, or do I need to do a day for lower-body
strengthening in-between? I'm somewhat new at this so m body isn't
really used to any approach, except that I've spent the last month
working out, doing strength training, cardio or both, about five days a
week each. I sure wish this would start to take some effect. I am
exactly the same weight today as I was four weeks ago.

Old September 21st 06, 06:40 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Pez D Spencer

just out of curiousity, what books are you reading on the subject of
strength training and conditioning?

i've always gotten the best results by training each muscle group
directly only once per week.

i could recommend some books if you like.

Old September 21st 06, 09:24 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Pete

"The Litwaks" schreef:

How long do I need to rest, 1 day, 2 days, between workouts on the same
muscle groups?

In general, 2-5 days.
Smaller groups take less time to recover, but they work togethet with the
bigger ones.
Try 3 days, and see what happens. After a while, try 2 and 4.

Can I do machines mainly for biceps and chest today and triceps and back
tomorrow...

A hard bicep workout today can **** up a good back workout tommorow. the
lower arms will also have trouble holding the weight. I would suggest you
wait another day.

or do I need to do a day for lower-body strengthening in-between?

Thats what i do most of the time. right now, because of a limited amount of
time and energy, i do an upper body or a lower body workout, in a A-B-A,
B-A-B kinda schedule. Works fine.

Typical workout sample is this;

Front presses (machine)
Small grip lat pull-downs
Tricep pushdowns
Cable rows

Next time;

Low inclines
Cable rows
Front presses
Curls

I'm somewhat new at this so m body isn't really used to any approach,
except that I've spent the last month working out, doing strength
training, cardio or both, about five days a week each. I sure wish this
would start to take some effect. I am exactly the same weight today as I
was four weeks ago.

Not good.

At this point, you should be a little stronger each workout, or at least,
each week.
Take a few more days to recover, and try to eat some more.

----
Pete

Old September 21st 06, 09:52 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Bully

Pete wrote:
"The Litwaks" schreef:

[...]

Why not good? He's probably gained muscle and lost fat!

--
Bully

matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Old September 21st 06, 03:27 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Kettlebell Inc

The Litwaks wrote:
How long do I need to rest, 1 day, 2 days, between workouts on the
same muscle groups? Can I do machines mainly for biceps and chest today
and triceps and back tomorrow, or do I need to do a day for lower-body
strengthening in-between? I'm somewhat new at this so m body isn't
really used to any approach, except that I've spent the last month
working out, doing strength training, cardio or both, about five days a
week each. I sure wish this would start to take some effect. I am
exactly the same weight today as I was four weeks ago.

What is your reps/set scheme for your workouts? Is it a bodybuilding
type workout, strength endurance, pure strength, cardio? The reps sets
information will help determine whether you should be stronger or have
lost weight or are seeing changing in your body composition after a
month. It will also determine, on average, how much rest you should
need between workout days.

For instance if you're doing 2 sets of 8 reps on an exercise, you're
likely not to see much of a gain, but if you're doing 4-5 sets of 5 for
each exercise, you should be seeing some gains.

In general:
Strength = low reps/set and high volume, lots of rest & recovery
Size = high volume and food, lots of rest & recovery
Strength endurance and body comp. = mid range reps w/ mid range weight,
medium rest and recovery
Cardio = high reps, light or no weight, short rest and recovery

John
http://www.kettlebellinc.com

Old September 21st 06, 03:48 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Steph

Firstly, I want to applaud you on your decision to become more active.

What is your goal?

If you are trying to add muscle mass then weight training 4 or more
days a week makes sense.

Since, you are new to weight training I recommend completing 3
full-body workouts with at least 48 hours rest in between. If you find
yourself in the gym more frequently; then on the alternating days do
your cardio.

If you have any more questions feel free to visit my website
http://www.fitnessesentials.ca

Old September 21st 06, 05:22 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
NYC XYZ

The Litwaks wrote:
How long do I need to rest, 1 day, 2 days, between workouts on the
same muscle groups? Can I do machines mainly for biceps and chest today
and triceps and back tomorrow, or do I need to do a day for lower-body
strengthening in-between? I'm somewhat new at this so m body isn't
really used to any approach, except that I've spent the last month
working out, doing strength training, cardio or both, about five days a
week each. I sure wish this would start to take some effect. I am
exactly the same weight today as I was four weeks ago.

At my prime I worked out five or six days a week with no problems,
benching 315-lbs. (3 reps, 3 sets). Nowadays I have plenty of rest but
am stuck doing ~275-lbs. I'm thirteen years older now, but there's
more than age involved....

I'm a big believer in "feeling your way" and working out
"mindfully"...by this I mean to really enjoy the physical sensations of
it all. I've never subscribed to any particular program (except when I
had to do daily calisthenics in the Army, I guess), and just done what
I felt like doing. It's kind of like eating when you're hungry -- you
do it naturally, you don't really need to get all technical about
things. The technical stuff is for high-performance athletes in
competition, when every little bit can make the difference. Otherwise,
I think all this focus on "book keeping" is akin to "equipment
idolatry" where people, newbies in particular, get all focused on the
latest gym contraption.

If you're in this for the love of it, numbers don't mean a thing.
They're fun, but besides the point. If you're into baseball, do you
get frustrated not being able to hit as many home-runs as the pros?
Numbers don't really tell you anything you didn't already know. When
you're in touch with your body, it tells you how strong you are, etc.

Old September 21st 06, 05:46 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Steve Freides

"The Litwaks" wrote in message
How long do I need to rest, 1 day, 2 days, between workouts on the
same muscle groups? Can I do machines mainly for biceps and chest
today and triceps and back tomorrow, or do I need to do a day for
lower-body strengthening in-between? I'm somewhat new at this so m
body isn't really used to any approach, except that I've spent the
last month working out, doing strength training, cardio or both, about
five days a week each. I sure wish this would start to take some
effect. I am exactly the same weight today as I was four weeks ago.

For most people most of the time, losing or gaining weight is mostly
about diet. Continue to exercise, of course, but look to your diet to
help you change your weight.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old September 21st 06, 05:55 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Pez D Spencer

Steve Freides wrote:

For most people most of the time, losing or gaining weight is mostly
about diet.

yes--as long as the workout routine isn't ridiculous.

Old September 21st 06, 07:35 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Steve Freides

"Pez D Spencer" wrote in message
ups.com...

Steve Freides wrote:

For most people most of the time, losing or gaining weight is mostly
about diet.

yes--as long as the workout routine isn't ridiculous.

Agreed, but many beginner routines are relatively harmless and without any
great merit, either, save for the fact that they get people used to using
their bodies to move against resistance, burn a few extra calories, etc.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com