powerlifter lifespans

Old September 25th 06, 03:15 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
[email protected]

Default powerlifter lifespans

ever been any studies on how powerlifter lifespans compare to the
average lifespan?

Old September 26th 06, 02:52 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
[email protected]

Old September 27th 06, 01:03 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
ranieri

"Shute" wrote in message

If I am 90 years old and drooling while staring out
into space than that isn't much of a life.

Hey, if I can still hold down a government job at 90 I'd take it.

Old September 27th 06, 01:04 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
John Hanson

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 22:28:01 +0000 (UTC), DZ
wrote in
misc.fitness.weights:

Shute wrote:
DZ wrote:
There was a study on Finns that found that elite "anaerobic" sports
athletes lived about the same as "controls". Team sports athletes a
bit longer. Aerobic elite athletes lived a few (like 5) years more.

Living longer is only half the story though. What was their quality
of life like. If I am 90 years old and drooling while staring out
into space than that isn't much of a life. I have read before that
although man die sooner they are more self sufficient into their old
age. I am curious if having fit and strong muscles give a better
quality of life later on.

Good points, the functional life span. It could be a good portion of
the actual lifespan if one drops early from something drastic like a
heart attack. That way a bottle of vodka a day will do just as well
(according to one fiction book, vodka with cocaine mixed in is even
better and it claims that such mix was affectionately called "Baltic
Tea" by some revolutionaries).

It's possible that the calorie restriction is still a better way to
prevent drooling out into space than powerlifting -
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-cri091506.php

(that is, if one HAS to choose one or the other)

Ever see powerlifters at a buffet after a meet? There's usually a lot
of drooling going on, even with the junior lifters.
:-)
Old September 27th 06, 10:16 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Pete

"Jason Earl" schreef:

Maybe I *don't* want to be "block out the sun" big.

Perhaps you DO!

When i was at my heaviest, well, several months after, but still around
127-128 kilograms, my blood-pressure was
115/65, and cholesterol was low. Pulse was about 65.

When you compare a SHW "bodybuilder" (i used the quotation marks because im
something of a bodybuilder/powerlifter/weighlifter/low/medium/high repper)
to a SHW powerlifter, the BBer has relatively more LBM and less fat. I am
sure the PLers here agree with me.

And that that fact *could* make a difference...

Oh, and if "geek_gril" wants to respond by pointing out that PLers have more
LBM then BBers, dont bother.
I have you kill-filed, just like all the other "women"...

----
Pete

Old September 27th 06, 01:05 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Hobbes

In article ,
Shute wrote:

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 15:44:36 -0600, Jason Earl
wrote:

It would also be interesting to see the numbers broken down by weight
class. I am curious to see whether the super heavy weights are
dragging down the rest of the anaerobic crew. If the anaerobic crew
can do as well as the normal population including the super heavies,
then there's a good chance that the lighter weight classes are
healthier than the control.

Maybe I *don't* want to be "block out the sun" big.

I also wonder power lifters constantly trying for their max lift die
sooner than those who just workout heavy. I think trying for the one
rep all the time puts a lot of stress on the system.

Where did that come from?

--
Keith
Old September 27th 06, 02:06 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
zxcv

Hobbes wrote:

wrote:

It would also be interesting to see the numbers broken down by weight
class. I am curious to see whether the super heavy weights are
dragging down the rest of the anaerobic crew. If the anaerobic crew
can do as well as the normal population including the super heavies,
then there's a good chance that the lighter weight classes are
healthier than the control.

Maybe I *don't* want to be "block out the sun" big.

I also wonder power lifters constantly trying for their max lift die
sooner than those who just workout heavy. I think trying for the one
rep all the time puts a lot of stress on the system.

Where did that come from?

--
Keith

I have wondered about that myself. I used to get all kinds of broken
blood vessels in my face and headaches (one that lasted for about 2
weeks) from doing maximum effort squats and deadlifts. All I could
think was, "This can't be good for my brain." I seem to have mitigated
this effect somewhat by always exhaling at the sticking point and
losing some weight but still I wonder . . .