Geoffrey Household, walking in Southern England, two questions

Old June 3rd 07, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
johngoldfine

Default Geoffrey Household, walking in Southern England, two questions

Geoffrey Household writing in 'Rogue Male' (1939) about walking in
Southern England: "A hideous word--hiker. It has nothing to do with
the gentle souls of my youth who wandered in tweeds and stout shoes
from pub to pub. But, by God, it fits those bawling Englishwomen
whose tight shorts and bawling voices are turning every beauty spot in
Europe into a Skegness holiday camp."

The rogue male of the title is hiding in West Dorset in the country
between Lyme Regis, Beaminster, and Dorchester. He describes it with
great affection. Anyone with any thoughts on walking there?

I first read Household 35 years ago before I'd ever seen an OS map or
been to England. For anyone with a taste for maps or walking in
Southern England, I'd recomment his ''Red Anger' which describes a
walk from South Devon to the Marlborough Downs. When night falls, this
hero simply knocks on any old farmhouse door and asks for a bed for
the night! Doesn't quite work that way nowadays--or does it? Does
anyone have a kindness-of-strangers-while-walking story?

What hasn't changed much is the country near the Ridgeway. One can
still follow his hero's predicament just outside Avebury, meter by
meter, on the relevant OS map.

Old June 4th 07, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Philip Powell

In message . com,
johngoldfine writes
[...]

I hear there is a kindly old gent living by the Bonnie Banks of Loch
Lomond who is only too pleased to see passing visitors and offer them
his own brand of hospitality.
--
Philip Powell
Looking north across the Derwent Valley and Northumberland
Old June 4th 07, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Roy

Philip Powell wrote:
In message . com,
johngoldfine writes
[...]

Damn, beat me to it ;-)

Right bags packed, off to the airport to infringe on some poor Germans'
landscape.

Pip pip.

Roy.